Visual art (pre-20th century, old school, you know)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Visual art (pre-20th century, old school, you know)

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:25 pm

So I went to a fabulous art exhibit today (with a boy childhood friend who I now have an insatiable crush on), mostly focused on Raphael, lots of really incredible sketches. You'd be amazed at how good a sense of form and "reality" one gets from just a few lines!

Anyway, I was wondering what kind of visual art people liked, from before the "modern" age. The classic stuff. The stuff that you don't find in anime art books. ^_~

Probably my favourite single work is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecstasy_of_Saint_Theresa

Here is a Youtube playlist for a whole episode of Simon Schama's fantastic "Power of Art" series, dedicated entirely to Bernini and this one work. Schama is great, because he is super enthusiastic (too cute) and British (excellent) and touches on the sensual aspects of art, which many art historians ignore. Like, descriptions of cherubim throwing lances between the legs of a saint, for instance. ^_~ ... http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=1A0740CED11F66A7&search_query=power+of+art+bernini

If I lived anywhere near Rome, I'd be there all the damn time, lurking around. ^^;

Bernini could make carved marble seem like softly flowing cloth. It is absolutely spellbinding. I saw an exhibit of his sculpture work at our national gallery last year, all portraits of popes and nobles and the like, and it was the finest art I've seen in person. Truly something. ^^;

Anyway, how cultured are my fellow Evageeks? ^_~
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:25 pm

Sadly not very at all on this end. :shinji_blush:
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:26 pm

A cool thing about living where I do is the affluence of museums we have. I could go on forever about this subject but walls of text aren't my thing.

Starting with painting/drawing, Bosch has always been a favorite of mine, among other Renaissance(ish) apocalyptic/religious artists. The many baroque interpretations of Greco-roman myths appeal to me. I'm also in love with Japanese art, particularly sumi-e. I recently went to the Getty Center in Los Angeles which had tons of French Rococo. One of the wings is like a mini Versailles which was cool, though I'm not a fan of the garish decoration and furniture.

I haven't even touched on architecture, sculpture, pre-medieval things, various cultural art, etc. I'll pop in with more as the thread goes on.

Also, have some awesome Dürer walrus.

Last edited by ZapX on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:42 pm

I'm more of a literature guy but I do find art very interesting. ^_^

I do like staring at Dali paintings though. Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bumblebee around a Pomegranate One Second Before Awakeningis one of my favorites.

Otherwise I do like the basics - Van Gogh, Picasso, etc.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:47 pm

on the whole, I actually slightly prefer modern visual art, they feel more "iconic" and richer IMO compared to the classical works, though I still love the Renaissance genre typified by da Vinci, the Romantic aesthetic of Blake, and the Primitivist Gauguin

my favorites of modern works include Hopper, Vedder, Moebius, Giger, Thorgerson, and Tran

I'm sure a few of these are likely to be considered "questionable" to some in terms of whether such works made by the preceding are in fact "art" but I do not give a sh*t ^_^

btw, Picasso and Dali are the absolute most overrated artists EVAR (though not totally bad) and for the life of me I don't "get" what's so great about Impressionism

as for architecture, I am torn between Art Deco and organicism, classical architecture is kind of boring IMO but I admire it for being more practical, but I prefer Ancient Egyptian architecture over classical
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:04 pm

Recently went to the local art museum, and was surprised to find they had a couple of Manet's works. Can't say I'm a huge fan of impressionism, but I can appreciate the work that went into it and that the guy helped start the whole impressionist movement.

oOoOoOo wrote:Probably my favourite single work is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecstasy_of_Saint_Theresa

Is anyone really surprised by this?

Ha, I kid.

But the story is quite amusing. The "angel" thrust his "spear" into Saint Theresa. Yeah...totally not about her getting a good dicking.

And to anyone who likes that nonsense called Rococo...why? The only good thing to come out of that period was Goya's anti-Rococo work.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:11 pm

^Baroque in general is boring yet gaudy though somewhat unintentionally amusing

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:14 pm

My mum works at an art gallery, and is an artist herself, so I am often surrounded by art.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:15 pm

Classical works are overrated.
Francis Bacon is where it's at.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:35 pm

I'm a fan of purely abstract art, especially geometrics,with Piet Mondrian as a personal favorite. Marcel Duchamp is another big name that I quite enjoy, the archetypal artist madman. To end on a more practical note, I have a great deal of respect for Saul Bass.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:59 pm

If we’re speaking strictly pre-20th century, then I’d say my favorites are Bosch and Rembrandt. Bosch because it’s deep symbolic shit, Rembrandt because it just looks so friggin amazing. And Bruegel, for both reasons.

But seeing as how a lot of 20th century works/folks have already been mentioned, I might as well add that I’m more into modernist stuff. My favorite works are usually surrealist or abstract impressionist, but I’ve always liked the Art Nouveau stuff, and I’ve always gotten a kick out of ‘Suprematism’ just because of its sheer audacity. I mean, Suprematists had brass balls to present some of that stuff at exhibitions.

None of that compares to Dada, though. I love it. Humor, absurdity, guts, relativity, and culture, all wrapped up in a neat little package shaped like a middle finger.
NemZ wrote: Marcel Duchamp is another big name that I quite enjoy, the archetypal artist madman.

QFT.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:55 am

I love the works of Rembrandt. I always liked dark lighting in paintings, and he nailed it. And his commentary on his own self was at times disturbing, such as placing himself in a painting of the crucifixion, mocking Jesus (a very interesting decision, given his personal convictions and the power the catholic church had at the time).

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:53 am

Pffsst~ I'll let you talk about 20th century art. I guess. ^_~

Oh, I'm also a fan of Renoir, specifically his landscapes. I could do without his portraits (for which he is famous), but his landscapes have such wonderful brushstrokes.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:Baroque in general is boring yet gaudy though somewhat unintentionally amusing
o_O Bernini? How can you be bored by the most perfect sculptures ever made? His works are so sensual. They're more erotic than 4chan.

ZapX wrote:A cool thing about living where I do is the affluence of museums we have. I could go on forever about this subject but walls of text aren't my thing.
Yaya~ Zappykun! ^_^ My city is full of museums, too (being the capital). You gain 10 magical O-points for being so cultured.

Also Dürer is great. We studied him a bit in school. That walrus is badass awesome! I also really appreciate Bosch, some of his apocalyptic stuff strikes me as "end of the world Where's Waldo", in how much is going on at once.

Captain_Morgan wrote:Is anyone really surprised by this?
My reputation is my own fault. ^^; One of my friends told me once: "There are only three things worth discussing, they are politics, religion, and sex."

Bernini was only missing the politics. ^_~

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

Re: Visual art (pre-20th century, old school, you know)

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:47 am

oOoOoOo wrote:If I lived anywhere near Rome, I'd be there all the damn time, lurking around. ^^;

~600km (370 miles) from here, maybe LiLi lives closer?
But planning a trip isn't so easy, there are just sooo many interesting things to see there that having to choose between them is a pity.

Just let us know if you'll ever decide to go lurking there :lol:

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:43 am

The German side of my family wants me to visit soon, but they aren't very fond of the Italians for "dodging the guilt". ^^; But I'd love to see all of Europe. One of my younger relatives would probably take me on a tour. They don't hold anything against the Italians, hehe.

Rome and Vienna are probably the two "art" cities I want to see the most. The spiritual and temporal capitals of Europe, respectively. ^_^

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:56 am

ath wrote:600km (370 miles) from here, maybe LiLi lives closer?

Right Thar, Mister... ;)

600 Km North or South, if I may ask?
Italy's full of artistic wonders! :D

I'm not overly fond of Roman Barocco myself (with due exceptions of course); not just because I favor more "essential" looking styles, but also because of the general defacing/destruction and/or restyling of pre-existing works of art it brought about...

Like we say here, What the Barbarians didn't do...

If you do come to Roma, I would recommend visiting the National Etruscan Museum too... some of my favorites among the masterpieces of Ancient art are kept there...
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:24 pm

@oOoOoOoneesan
Oh, I almost missed this thread, I’m glad I didn’t :sweatdrop:
I hope I’m not uncultured but I don’t know if I could say that... I probably should take more humanities/ Art history courses; I don’t want to be uncivilized

Hmm later Renaissance and Barouche works do seem to be more natural looking and sensual than they were at the start of the period don't they? (for instance Giotto only seems to have done only serious looking religious stuff) I guess the greater focus on the body was all thanks to Hellenic influence right?

Probably my favourite single work is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecstasy_of_Saint_Theresa
Angels penetrating people? :tongue: There’s no way that it doesn’t have a carnal element attached...I wonder if Anno’s ever seen it :shinji_blush:

I've probably seen more post renaissance art along the lines of realism and impressionism than Barouche and Renaissance but it looks like I’m missing out...I need to look at Zappy's list too, that walrus is amazing, never mind Bosch.

@LiLiI guess you’re right Roman/Hellenic work does sort or receive a good deal of attention at the expense of all the other art produced... Italy’s Etruscan art is found mostly in the north right?
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:00 pm

Synapsid wrote:
Angels penetrating people? :tongue: There’s no way that it doesn’t have a carnal element attached...I wonder if Anno’s ever seen it :shinji_blush:

I think I last saw it with a friend of the family and she commented on something along those lines... I was like, :shinji_blush:

Italy’s Etruscan art is found mostly in the north right?

Hmmm, I'd say it's more like Central Italy... ?

You can find a map here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etruria

Yes, I get the impression that foreigners don't get a lot of exposition to Etruscan art? At least, not nearly as much as it deserves Greek and Roman art... Etruscan culture is still a bit "mysterious" even to most Italian people, I think? However, I definitely recommend looking into it - let me know if you're interested, I'm no expert but I'm a bit of a fan, so I'll try to dig out some stuff for you if you'd like. ;)
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:06 pm

oOoOoOo wrote:Bernini? How can you be bored by the most perfect sculptures ever made? His works are so sensual. They're more erotic than 4chan.
I don't know about erotic, well, they were often nude, but nudity does not always mean SEX SEX SEX F*CK F*CK F*CK, you know? :tongue:

srsly though, I don't know, but too often if something gets too opulent, elitist or high-minded IMO, there's this sense of humanity that gets lost, but maybe I've grown too self-conscious of my own limitations as I have grown older and a least a little more mature

and maybe I'm too aware of that time period of Europe

after all the greatness that the Renaissance was, then all the empires of Europe became increasingly vulnerable with each European nation's aristocratic establishment indulging decadently to degrees not seen since ancient Rome, for me Baroque is like a really good book you love but you put down before it ends because you don't want it to end badly

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:23 pm

LiLi wrote:600 Km North or South, if I may ask?
Italy's full of artistic wonders! :D

To the North, actually. Not a bad place to live in, but not too many artistic or historic masterpieces around. Some nice landscapes and towns, though.

LiLi wrote:If you do come to Roma, I would recommend visiting the National Etruscan Museum too... some of my favorites among the masterpieces of Ancient art are kept there...

I'm not much into arts but I still find Classical architecture interesting, so I know I'll have to visit Rome sooner or later. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks ;)

LiLi wrote:I think I last saw it with a friend of the family and she commented on something along those lines... I was like, :shinji_blush:

Quoting random lines from NGE always helps when dealing with similar situations involving Angels :toothy:

Return to “Film and Video”