[Film] There is A Movie God...

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:10 pm

You think there is a movie god, but word of Indiana Jones 5 has just surfaced, and proved you wrong.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Soljer13
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Soljer13 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:17 pm

Then that means theres a Movie Satan. You cant have good without the bad, shadow without light, white without the black, etc.
PURGE! CLEANSE! KILL! FOR THE EMPEROR!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:25 pm

The Movie God is a fickle one.

For every Lord of the Rings there is a Golden Compass.

For every Anchorman there is a Land of the Lost.

For every Pixar there is a Dreamworks Animation.

For every Star Wars Trilogy there is a Star Wars Prequel Trilogy.

Balance must be kept.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:34 pm

Oldboy "remake"(I use it loosely because Chan-wook Park never adapted the manga 100%) seems to be under some legal trouble.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-06-17/old-boy-publisher-sues-korean-studio-over-u.s-film-rights

I've actually been anticipating this release because Will Smith would fit Shinichi Gotō( NOT Oh Dae-su!) like a glove. Steven Spielberg though is a fairly mediocre director who can be hit or miss.

Orphan Of Darkness
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Orphan Of Darkness » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:46 pm

It's a relief for me seeing the Akira live action project finally dead. It's not Hollywood movie material.

The artistic fortitude to take that on is pretty big I think, not to mention the budget and other red-tape aspects.

I think a live-action AKIRA could kick the shit out of my brain with awesomeness, but it won't ever be done.

What concerns me the most: There are limits with how much CG they could do with the sets and action sequences to truly make it great.

The animated movie is fantastic of course, but even it is just a small taste of the manga.
EvanGelion:GLIA @A fanfiction project in progress. ~Updated-Mar 15th/2011~ |DeviantArt

-
"Make good use of this money, Rei. I

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:00 pm

And that's why Lord of the Rings, Dark Knight, and 90% of all films suck...wait?

Doing a remake of an Asian film has worked before though, and given the scripts average reviews online...it was supposed to rock, despite the 'black gang member' (believe it or not, inter racial gangs are actually very common, and the idea that white people, or black people wouldn't let another criminal in their ranks just because of his skin color is dead wrong...and in itself racist. Sure a lot of gangs are that way, but not all of them. Shows how many of the posters here, and else where on the internet LIVE IN DA HOOD!)

This elitism is self defeating and it has to stop. Sure you don't like Naruto and the idea of LAEM not living up to your exceptions...but if it succeeds even slightly, that's good for all of us Otaku in the long run, as producers will allow more anime films to be made with more flexibility with their directors and such. More importantly, it show anime to be more profitable, so more of the good Japanese exclusive stuff can be ours. Frankly, I want a high quality Eng dub for Monster, if and when it comes out.
Last edited by Themaninblack on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
I won.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:52 pm

Yeah their is a movie god since the people who have made Epic Movie and Disater Movie have not made a new movie since Disaster movie bombed.

I don't see the point in remaking Akira as a new animated film.

I hear Ghost in the Shell has been redone in CGI if I stand correct and a Akira remake like that would be cool.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:40 pm

TMIB: Yeah, intellectually I agree with you: I feel a little guilty about the flood of internal stereotypes about Dumb Faceless Big Hollywood that pop up every time the notion of a non-Japanese, live-action, anime remake is brought up.

But even if I feel a little guilty, that's still my knee-jerk response; that I can't get rid of it means I feel there's some truth to our fears. What I heard about the Dragonball and Speed Racer films might also confirm those fears.

So I'm glad the Akira live-action movie isn't being made, but I thought it would be a difficult thing to BE made, for various reasons. It's equally hard for me to picture the LAEM getting up off the ground.
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:18 pm

Besides the animated movie was good anyway so I don't see a reason for a remake.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:17 am

I suppose a big reason why I think a live action Akira remake is a dumb idea is because half of what made the movie worth watching was the animation. I was never really all that impressed with the story. I mean, it was good enough, but for me it was the animation that made the experience worthwhile. If you took the same story and did it in live action, it just wouldn't be all that interesting.

With Evangelion on the other hand, most of the show's appeal comes through the story. The animation was great for TV standards at the time, but it's the characters and story that keep me coming back. If you move the story into live action, you're marrying it with a surreal sense of eyepopping awe, and an even deeper emotional connection with the characters because you are seeing them as real people. It's a story that I think is worth bringing to the non-anime watching audience.

To sum up, I don't really see the point of doing Akira in live action, since the animation is what I enjoyed most about the original. The original was a dirty gritty gang story, which is something we've already got plenty of in live action (minus the whole psychic powers hook, which is also in a lot of films). Maybe I'm not giving the story enough credit since I only saw the movie, but since from the sounds of it the live action script was basically a remake of it, there's really not much for the project to bring to the table. It'd basically just be another gang movie but with a sci-fi hook, and I don't really see why we need it.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:46 am

It would still be amazing though to see how they'd pull off all the visuals.

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:48 pm

Well, I'm actually feeling REALLY good about the Cowboy Bebop movie after reading http://www.animevice.com/news/writer-peter-craig-speaks-on-cowboy-bebop-flick/1552/ this interview. Watanabe and Sunrise are very closely involved with it, and the lead script writer actually, you know, likes the show. I think this could be an awesome movie. And I was mad about Keanu at first, but I think the only part of Spike he can't do now that I think about it is Spike's hair.

As for Akira, I'm a bit disappointed because it had excellent potential. But at least now it won't get dicked up.
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE -My fanfic. COMPLETE, HAHA! 2/25/08.
2.0: YOU ARE (NOT) WORTHLESS: Updated (!!) 7/14/08
Nigecha dame da...
"Kaworu is not a character. Kaworu is a plot device. Kaworu sucks." -Reichu

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:54 pm

I would be shocked if Keanu Reeves couldn't pull off a decent Spike. That's one of the few roles I'd dare say is well within his range.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:01 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:For every Lord of the Rings there is a Golden Compass.

...but I liked the Golden Compass...

...as a book...

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:39 pm

Some movies were better off just remaining as books yet Walden Media is looking for something that makes them money due to massive success of the Harry Potter films.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:35 pm

Walden had something really good going with the Narnia films, but Disney dropped the ball when they tried to push Prince Caspian as a summer blockbuster instead of a Christmas film. I really hope that Fox doesn't ruin Voyage of the Dawn Treader though... Tom Rothman, keep your slimy tentacles off of this one!

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:49 pm

The first three books of the Narnia series are quite good, but after that the remaining books are really terrible. Not to mention unfilmable. Getting hit over the head with the Aslan-Jesus theme gets to be way too much.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:09 am

I dunno

did you ever see the BBC miniseries of Narnia? that included The Silver Chair

to my recollection, it didn't suck, though interestingly for obvious reasons, a certain last line was omitted with regard to Aslan's "real name"... :sermon:
Getting hit over the head with the Aslan-Jesus theme gets to be way too much.
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

GoatMan
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby GoatMan » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:09 am

A live action Akira movie wouldn't necessarily be bad, presuming that it was based in Japan, and like "Transformers 2" (as much as everyone here thinks Bay's interpretation was lame), hits heavy into the elements of the original source material.

Obviously they shouldn't stage it in New York or any American city, or the Buddhist priests and protests/demonstrations would lose their meaning. Instead, they need to keep it set in Japan, but perhaps take a more Westerner look at it. I mean, if you have to dumb it down because not everyone can get what Gattaca was about, tthey could at least extend it out to a 2.5 hour movie that does a bit of filler for all the "idiot Westerners".

Actually, the best way to pull it off would be a cross between "The Terminator"(1984), and "Black Rain"(1989, where the filler history is all told during the action and character development (like when Reese is talking about what the Terminator is, and about the future). That way, you can avoid dumbing it down, but at the same time, you can cut to the chase fairly quickly.

The thing that annoys me about everyone's perception of foreign films, particularly anime, being so artistic or philosophical is that all they really do is spout words. "Ghost in the Shell", "Princess Mononoke", etc, all just spout the beliefs, throw in a few congruent acts for the protagonist to match what he's preaching, but everything else is portrayed as just normal, screwed up life. If man was really struggling to understand its reality in a world of cyborgs or grasp the concept of environmental awareness during the feudal era as being expressed through their relationship with the old gods, they would not be portrayed in the way they are in those movies.

As I mentioned before in another thread, if you're in the world of Star Trek, where you can travel several hundred times faster than light as though it were as easy as getting on a bus at the local stop, what is the sense in all of the obsolete throwbacks we see in the Star Trek universe. Why, for that matter, is everyone either in Starfleet, or working retail, especially if there's no money in the future?

To really hammer the idea of Akira home, you have to show how the protests and political demonstrations are part of mankind's evolution as a society towards a healthier, more competitive political system. You would also have to show Tetsuo's transformation being one-sided in all of his power or glory as being immediately countered by the acts of evolution as not its own separate entity, but evolution as the interactions of survival strategies of all the contributing players (mankind grabbing the strategic laser satellite to blow his arm off and such).

The theme that needs to be driven home in an Akira remake was one that they didn't get across in the original. Instead, they went the direction of mankind being a being without the mental capacity to handle those powers. They add to this concept that only well-adjusted types (the colonel and Kaneda are two extremes of these guys) are the only ones who are satisfied to progress at a rate acceptable for their evolution.

The better theme to hit at, though, is portraying everything that happens in Neo-Tokyo as action and reaction in the chess game that is evolution. It is not nature that deliberately chooses which mutations outperform others, but instead, the world as a whole (dare they imply all of Neo-Tokyo as a single-celled organism, or all of humanity and Tetsuo as predator/prey in a slowly stabilizing relationship?) as an enclosed system which changes with time due to the random acts which, thanks to the laws of physics, lead to order originating from chaos.

Oh, and there are already guys working on a realistic, shaft-driven Kaneda bike, and not the crappy chain-driven hunk of fiberglass that has been going around the conventions.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:45 am

Just so you know, when Akira was being produced by it's "Fans" it was set in partially Japan funded New Manhattan.

And Tetsuo was named Travis.

And the motorcycle gang? They didn't go around causing havoc for the fun of it. Actually they teamed up as a gang to....protect their neighborhood.

Return to “Film and Video”