The Dark Knight Thread

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:05 am

yeah I know how batshit insane that sounds, just go Google, you'll see
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:28 pm

sorry to double post, but I wanted to BUMP this because I just saw it earlier today, and it was as great as you all and everybody everywhere has said

I got to see it on IMAX too, and some of those sequences were so perfectly AWESOME, boy if I ever get into serious filmmaking, I want my hands on that 70mm film

I had only a qualm or few, the biggest one is my eternal gripe/pet peeve about movies longer than two hours

the other thing is I almost wish Nolan and crew did what Tarentino was forced to do with Kill Bill and split it into "two volumes"; the reason, there was SO MUCH going on with the different characters, everything felt really "rushed" which was surely great for the action/pacing but I think that character development kinda took a back seat, especially in the case of Harvey Dent IMO

the question going forward now is just how Nolan "will top this one"

and I don't if anyone here had this feeling too, but when I first saw Gordon's kid, I thought to myself "self, that kid looks like a prime candidate for Robin/Nightwing" (plz don't kill me for saying this)

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Stuffy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Stuffy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:25 pm

I just saw it a couple days ago. I loved it. Heath Ledger didnt play the joker. He was the joker. :clap:
DARK KNIGHT SPOILER wrote:I was a bit surprised when they had two face dies....
In the cartoon series two face was always resurfacing and coming back to create some chaos time and time again.
Last edited by Stuffy on Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:32 pm

two face's makeup was way too much. batman begins was way more interesting, except for any scene with the joker.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:15 pm

hey Stuffy, put that SPOILER in a quote box and make the font color white plz (I'd do it myself but I'm not an admin/mod)

and yeah, I'm kind of surprised that "makeup" made the cut and the film avoided a bump up to a R rating, along with "the pencil trick" IMO

zimlord
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby zimlord » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:12 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:the other thing is I almost wish Nolan and crew did what Tarentino was forced to do with Kill Bill and split it into "two volumes"; the reason, there was SO MUCH going on with the different characters, everything felt really "rushed" which was surely great for the action/pacing but I think that character development kinda took a back seat, especially in the case of Harvey Dent IMO

i agree with you there. as long (and of course awesome) as it was, there were so many characters to delve into and just not enough time. Dent's transformation into Two Face as a villain could have been drawn out a little more, I think. I'm no DC expert, but that's how I think they could have done the characters more justice.

that said, it's still a great movie.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:32 pm

zimlord wrote:<snip> that said, it's still a great movie.
yes, no question there

and Stuffy, thnx :thumbsup:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:41 pm

Hal: Made a spoiler tag in Stuffy's post. Thanks for pointing that out.

In other news, I hope to see this film sometime within the next week or so, if possible.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:17 pm

I want to see this, as well.

For my part, I wonder why the "two villains per film" trope is considered necessary.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:56 pm

Reichu wrote:For my part, I wonder why the "two villains per film" trope is considered necessary.

Cause people bitch incessantly about cliffhangers. Inturn film makeres say fine no cliffhanger but you get shitty character developement cause you're impatient little jerks. I blame the internet and cable for the whole thing really...
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:32 am

slothen wrote:two face's makeup was way too much.

I disagree. I think it needed to be pretty disgusting to distance the character from Tommy Lee Jones in leopard print.

[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

zimlord
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby zimlord » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:13 pm

Reichu wrote:For my part, I wonder why the "two villains per film" trope is considered necessary.

partly (aside from the obvious need for a cliffhanger in a lot of popular media today) i'd say it goes back to the comics' original sequence of events. I'm no DC expert, but I assume traditionally the Joker's storyline logically rolls into Two Faces' as a stand alone chapter, and that breaking the two up would belittle the connection between the villains. A cause and effect sort of thing. That said, for some movies the "two villain trope" really is completely unnecessary, or just for the sake of throwing in a cliffhanger.

AEF wrote:Cause people bitch incessantly about cliffhangers. Inturn film makeres say fine no cliffhanger but you get shitty character developement cause you're impatient little jerks. I blame the internet and cable for the whole thing really...

lolwut? You sort of pulled a Zeak there.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:39 pm

zimlord wrote:lolwut? You sort of pulled a Zeak there.

Have you checked other fandoms lately? Naruto and Bleach fans get really pissy about cliffhangers every freaking week. Because of the so called 24 hour news cycle we aren't used to waiting for anything and it really annoys us. Hell, every time a video game release date is set all you hear is I can't wait.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:54 pm

I do agree that there is a "patience" problem too many people under the age 30 seem to have, some of these tards I come across seem to have the attention span of a fcuking goldfish

@ master_lloyd, LOL, blame the Warner Bros. suits and producer Peter MacGregor-Scott on Batman Forever, to his credit Joel Schumacher had originally wanted to adapt Batman: Year One but WB didn't want to do a prequel and it wanted a film that was "lighter in tone" due to the somewhat negative response to Batman Returns being considered too dark and violent for young audiences (not to mention the fact that it made over $100 million less than 1989's Batman)

anyways, I just had a somewhat dark thought; going forward, how about Michelle Williams playing Harley Quinn? hmm?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:45 pm

Ok, I FINALLY saw it and all I have to say is that was by far, the best Batman movie EVAR. I little bit...long, but that impatience may have been due to me worrying about a certain health issue I had today. But everything was great. Ledger did an exellent job as the Joker, and now I'm sad that I won't be able to see another preformance like that from him again.

So to those who haven't yet seen it: Why so serious?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:12 am

Sachi_13 wrote:<snippy> Ledger did an exellent job as the Joker, and now I'm sad that I won't be able to see another preformance like that from him again.
I'm certain WB and all of Hollywood for that matter feels this way

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:48 pm

BUMPO

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00017347.html

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00017852.html

CHER AS FCUKING CATWOMAN

OH SHI- :scanners_head:

the third comic book movie curse looking to STRIKE AGAIN apparently

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:13 pm

HOLY FUCK BUDDHA TWAT

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:58 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:BUMPO

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00017347.html

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00017852.html

CHER AS FCUKING CATWOMAN

OH SHI- :scanners_head:

the third comic book movie curse looking to STRIKE AGAIN apparently

[URL=http://img53.imageshack.us/my.php?image=despairmotivationalsmalrc0.jpg]Image[/URL]
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE -My fanfic. COMPLETE, HAHA! 2/25/08.
2.0: YOU ARE (NOT) WORTHLESS: Updated (!!) 7/14/08
Nigecha dame da...
"Kaworu is not a character. Kaworu is a plot device. Kaworu sucks." -Reichu

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:12 pm

No, that's stupid. If Nolan thought that he needed someone younger to play the Joker, he isn't going to cast a fucking crone as Catwoman. Unless he plans on taking the character in a completely different direction or something.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

Return to “Film and Video”