[Film] Film talk thread

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:14 am

I guess we can all agree that Chan-wook Park's Vengeance trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, Lady Vengeance) is not a good choice for the depressed audience - even when it's so obviously tongue-in-cheek like Lady Vengeance is as a whole.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:58 am

Just a little thing I spotted:

The word "mindfuck" gets thrown around a lot in these parts - no surprise there, considering this is an Evangelion fan community - but this is the first time I've ever heard of a movie implanting false memories into its viewers. Apparently M. Night Shyamalan is in reality Mandrake the Magician.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:28 pm

I had actually heard about the lost Thunderbird one but the M. Night Shyamalan instance. Must be Jung's collective unconscious bubbling up, or something to that affect.

But then again, there might have been issues with some of the reels sent out. I know there are projectionists who like to screw around with film reels for lulz, but that possibility seems a little far-fetched.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:35 pm

- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:42 pm

Weird and probably bad, I’m sorry to say.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:48 pm

IMO, I think the only reason this is being seriously considered is because of how unexpectedly and ridiculously well Tim Burton's Alice in Underland did

and since Burton is likely more interested in either (re)making Frankenweenie or adapting Dark Shadows to film, Disney figured it could make lightning strike twice and it wants the closest thing, which in their mind is Sam Raimi as director and Robert Downey, Jr. as the main man (which is not 100% off-base but it is rather superficial and this sounds ridiculous since there's only been one decent-to-OK film about Oz that's been made since the original and there's nothing else to add)

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:07 pm

^This is exactly why this will suck. It just sounds like cheap attemped to cash in on movie that just came.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:44 pm

Bumping this dinosaur because I couldn't find any other place that seemed appropriate to say this:

Looks like, from early reviews at Venice, Tran Anh Hung's adaptation of Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood is getting lukewarm to negative responses. I know it's hard to live up to such a beautiful novel, and though I thought Tran would be a sure fire success as a director, I'm going to go out on a limb and bring out one glaring flaw I saw in pre-production:

Rinko Kikuchi should be playing Midori, not Naoko.

I guess I'll be seeing what the other flaws are when the film actually comes out here.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:49 pm

^ Too bad DR. TRAN failed. Oh well, I'll watch the film in any case because it has Kikuchi.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:53 pm

I'll see the film anyway because I'm a devoted Haruki Murakami fanboy. I'm not even that big of a Kikuchi fan but she would've been an such an obviously great choice to play Midori that it hurts me inside to think of what should have been.
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:36 am

^ Have either of you seen Tran's Cyclo? Great movie, but it's the only one I've seen from him.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:44 am

I did see Cyclo a while back, and I've been meaning to rewatch Tran's first three films in anticipation for Norwegian Wood.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:15 pm

BUMP since there is no other applicable thread to post this in and I have had a bad streak recently of locked threads that I started

anyway, so Katzenberg recently said some interesting things about the film industry and admitted that movies mostly suck now

it is ironic for him to say that as the current CEO of Dreamworks Animation and being so honest on that one point when most would hide behind the typical BS executives throw out there

I also found it interesting that he kind of acknowledged what a gimmick 3D is as basically a cover for charging higher prices and that the industry should move to 3D-sans-glasses as reasonably quickly as possible to avoid alienating the public

and it was funny to hear him rag on Ratatouille, I cannot help but think he is just mad that it competed all too well against Shrek the Third at the box office

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:00 pm

Ultimately, Hollywood sucks right now because there are no more artists. Films are instead made by focus groups and market research.

McDirty
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby McDirty » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:35 pm

I was in the theater the other day and I decided to check out the upcoming movie posters. I found that 12 out of 15 of the upcoming movies were either remakes or sequels. The remaining 3 were romantic comedies. Originality in Hollywood is dead. :(

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:09 am

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:Ultimately, Hollywood sucks right now because there are no more artists. Films are instead made by focus groups and market research.

Funny, I bet older generations thought this same basic thought. They thought it would crumble, and here we are, still cranking them out like it's no big dead.

Seriously though, there's artists out there, and like those grand and glorious times, where Hollywood keep making musicals and epic/grand in scale movies, the true geniuses were few and far between (but not hopeless; there were plenty of competent directors in those movies, and the same can be said for the blockbusters today). The only difference is that we can spot the actual geniuses in Hollywood and the usual big budgeted Hollywood movies quicker than ever now.

Originally in Hollywood isn't dead, it's just easier to consumer it now; that's it.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:07 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Red Tails (2012) -- Could the best next aviation movie ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kR0VLYxoiE&feature=player_embedded

> story by George Lucas
>> George Lucas began developing Red Tails around 1988

It sounds okay. Although, the screenplay isn't by George... so, y'know, make of it what you will when it comes out.
Voluntary Illusion.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:33 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:It sounds okay. Although, the screenplay isn't by George... so, y'know, make of it what you will when it comes out.
As long as there is substantially more aerial action than Lucasdoramma, I'd love to watch it. WWII-era dogfighting is always awesome.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:08 pm

Not sure where to put this, so I'll put it in here...

Early Hitchcock film found. REALLY early.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:17 pm

WAIT!

what's this?! someone at Disney has a functioning BRAIN after all?

perhaps this is a harbinger of the demise of the unnecessary-remake-and-sequel fever in Hollywood

Return to “Film and Video”