Anyone here seen the film Supervolcano?

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

StevieC
Embryo

Anyone here seen the film Supervolcano?

•      
  •      

Postby StevieC » Thu May 08, 2008 8:57 am

It's a docu-drama made in a collaborative effort of at least 4 different TV networks from 4 countries:

Discovery Channel (United States)
the Beeb (United Kingdom)
ProSieben (Germany)
NHK (Japan)

which explores what would happen if the supervolcano underneath Yellowstone National Park were to erupt. They look at it in the form of a docu-drama as if looking in hindsight, once the aftermath has at least partly passed. Unsettling but VERY eye-opening. It made me think a lot, and it's definitely not light viewing. It's scary. They preface it with the text, "This is a true story: It just hasn't happened yet." keyword: YET

*shudder*
Stevie-C,
Resident Character
Grand Rapids Community College
Michigan

"This is. Ma-Ma-Max Headroom."

majlund
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby majlund » Thu May 08, 2008 9:06 am

Fear is a great motivator - as an added benefit it impedes rational thought.
There are a lot of everyday "dangers" that are far more likely to kill you, but they are far less dramatic.

No, I haven't seen it. No, I can't be bothered to.
Si vis Pacem para Bellum

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Thu May 08, 2008 10:08 am

I think I know what you're talking about - I remember seeing something about Yellowstone on Discovery channel years ago, if what you're talking about is a new show then I haven't seen it.

You hear about all these volcanoes and other natural events that are predicted to happen every x number of years and how they are overdue --- besides from being used for mind control their actual not-happening is indicative of those running spacetime are looping out (or whether any time at all has actually progressed) those events to safeguard themselves.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Thu May 08, 2008 11:48 am

I think I saw that on BBC2. Looked a bit naff. Kinda like a 1970's disaster movie with a budget, or another Day after Tomorrow clone.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Thu May 08, 2008 12:44 pm

I have seen it. It's definitely more based in scientific fact that films such as the day after Tomorrow, or other such disaster films. It is theoretically possible for sucvh an eruption to happen, and it has happened multiple times in the past.

The effects of volcanic ash in the atmosphere are reasonably understood, and it is known and documented, that large eruptions can cause a substantial cooling effect for some time....

An eruption of Yellowstone on such a scale is possible. It is possible it could happen tomorrow....but it would most likely be another hundred thousand years.

Some of the technology depicted does not exist...such as the simulation system... but the actual science is supposed to be pretty solid. On the BBC, it was followed by a Horizon program, demonstrating the actual expected effects.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Thu May 08, 2008 1:07 pm

The scientists at Yellowstone they interviewed said they didn't think it would ever have another super-eruption. The crust over the magma chamber is constantly moving and in the next couple centuries it will be under the Rockies. They showed a nice trail all the way back to California of about 13 eruptions to illistrate this point. Don't worry though, we wont get away scott free, there are at least a half a dozen more Supervolcanoes to think about...
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Thu May 08, 2008 3:59 pm

Seen the movie and studied the geology of that area many times while getting my degree. I absolutely hate the word supervolcano though. It’s called a Caldera (Specifically the Yellowstone Caldera for that particular one). Yellowstone is basically one giant crater and if it goes so does a big chunk of the western US. But I doubt it will happen. Evidence has pointed to the mantle bloom that caused eruptions in the past has most likely moved on away from the area. By the way, that doesn’t bode well for those of you on the west coast.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Zeak
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Zeak » Fri May 09, 2008 6:07 pm

There is a theme going around i have noticed.

Day After Tomorow
Super volcano
Catogory 7, 8 and 9

Anybody else see it
I think its called destroy america and DAT has sofar been the only 1 worht watching
Writer and Lead animator of Cold Heart
webpage

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sat May 10, 2008 6:26 am

Zeak wrote:... and DAT has sofar been the only 1 worth watching

Not really. That one sucked hard too. Only good disaster shows I have ever seen were history profiles on the events made by public broadcasting (US) or the BBC. Nova did a kick ass special on Krakatoa a couple years ago.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Zeak
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Zeak » Sat May 10, 2008 6:51 am

There is twister. That is a good movie and one of the best when it comes to disaster films.
Writer and Lead animator of Cold Heart
webpage

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Sat May 10, 2008 8:43 am

Yeah, that's a good movie. My personal favourites are either The Day After Tomorrow, 10.5, 10.5: Apocalypse, Category 6: Day of Destruction or Category 7: The End of The World.

Supernova is also one of my favourites.
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

Return to “Film and Video”