[TV] Is Family Guy Still Funny? Was it EVER Funny?

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mongoosedog
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mongoosedog » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:14 am

I always laugh hard during a family guy episode, the more offensive the joke is the funnier it is usually. Specially the ep where Peter's mother tells him he was born in Mexico because she went there to get an abortion, then it cuts to her tied up with blindfolded kids hitting her stomach with sticks. Then Peter falls out
I have no signature!

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:11 am

Well, I watched the Multiverse episode and it was a rare hit in a show that tends to miss now-a-days.

I used to LOVE Family Guy, but the writing just got lazy, and it stopped being funny, there's nothing else to say. And I actually liked that it would do random cut-aways, but it was okay because each episode had actual CHARACTERS doing something to form a simple PLOT. The newer episodes don't have characters, they have messengers for gags. I also used to not like American Dad, but I actually find it consistently funny, probably because the laughs actually come from (admittedly simple) characterization. If you ask me, Family Guy should have stayed cancelled. It would be remembered as a classic and Seth could focus more on American Dad, and maybe that would end up being a classic. Or maybe Family Guy sucking helps American Dad look good by comparison?
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:10 am

I feel it is necessary to point out that American Dad was only created because of the success of Family Guy after it was resurrected for the second time.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:19 am

Captain_Morgan wrote:I feel it is necessary to point out that American Dad was only created because of the success of Family Guy after it was resurrected for the second time.

Actually American Dad was originally supposed to be Family Guy's replacement when it was canceled.

Also I love The Cleveland Show. The only episode I didn't like to much was the fifth episode but Cleveland's freestyle was the best part of that episode.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:29 am

American Dad is a awesome show, most people do like it but I find it more funnier then Family Guy most of the time.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:40 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:Actually American Dad was originally supposed to be Family Guy's replacement when it was canceled.

No, no, no. Kevin Bacon was NOT in Footloose.

Huh...did not know that. Well, I suppose that's the danger of pretending to know something you don't. Often times you'll come across looking like a jackass.

Joseph the PRPD wrote:Also I love The Cleveland Show. The only episode I didn't like to much was the fifth episode but Cleveland's freestyle was the best part of that episode.

Only seen a few episodes, though I must say the Thanksgiving ep. was outrageous. Their dinner left me in stitches..

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:50 pm

Captain_Morgan wrote:Huh...did not know that.

Yeah and if it wasn't for DVD sales and Adult Swim/TBS re-runs Family Guy probably wouldn't have re-aired.

Captain_Morgan wrote:I must say the Thanksgiving ep. was outrageous. Their dinner left me in stitches..

My favorite part was when Cleveland was explaining to his father the secret behind Auntie Momma.

I loved the Christmas episode. My favorite quote from TCS yet is
SPOILER: Show
"The most human among us... is a bear. Let that sink in."

That had me in stitches!

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:56 pm

I actually thought American Dad's season premier episode this year was more consistently better than Family Guy's season premier, which (in my opinion) fell apart in the third act
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:01 pm

Alas, it was funny... The best seasons are 1-3. When Family Guy came back, it wasn't the same as it used to be, obviously due to the new restrictions from the FCC. Nowadays, some new elements and gags are ruining the show, including Bonnie not being pregnant anymore... To me, I didn't want that to happen; it was one of the main continuity jokes of Family Guy, which has now been ended... If there were a new Peter vs. Chicken Fight, it wouldn't be as good as the first 3 (unless it gets better).

Why, Cleaveland? Why did you have to leave Family Guy? Your new show is not as good as Family Guy. I stopped watching it after 2 episodes (not a stereotype issue at all) Why, why, why?

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:10 am

tomrule123 wrote:If there were a new Peter vs. Chicken Fight, it wouldn't be as good as the first 3 (unless it gets better).

The only way I can think of it getting better is if Peter and the Chicken join forces to defeat a greater enemy.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sun May 02, 2010 4:28 pm

Tonight is Family Guy's 150th episode.
It'll be an hour long special titled "Brian &amp Stewie". (EDIT: Why does the "and" symbol filter to &amp?)

It was said that this special isn't going to be like Family Guy's usual style.
No pop culture references, cutaways, etc.

The plot:
Brian and Stewie get locked in a bank vault, they are forced to deal with each other on a whole new level.

I wonder how this is going to work. It kind of sounds like it'll be a clip show.

EDIT:
The reason why it is an hour is because the episode has an extra six minutes "that they couldn't bear to cut". So clips will be added at the end to pad it out.

So it's sort of a clip show.

More information regarding the plot:
It's based on the All in the Family episode where Archie locks himself in the basement all night alone with a bottle of vodka.

...and it's true. No cutaways at all.

EDITX2:
Additional [speculated not confirmed] information:
The clips at the end of the episode is probably going to show deleted and/or possibly fan favorite musical numbers along with those that didn't make it on the air.
"The list" comes to mind.

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Sun May 02, 2010 5:10 pm

When will people wake up and realize this show's terrible?

King of the Hill: How I miss you. Why you got pushed aside in favor of that talentless hack McFarlene's pile of dog feces I will never know.
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sun May 02, 2010 6:01 pm

View Original PostDevRei17 wrote:When will people wake up and realize this show's terrible?

I guess I'll stay sleeping.

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Sun May 02, 2010 6:23 pm

Seth McFarlane is a pretty sophisticated guy. Too sophisticated I think for the crude, ugly animation/format/constraints of Family Guy. He should do live action comedies or something.
"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sun May 02, 2010 6:35 pm

View Original Postplanet news wrote:He should do live action comedies or something.

He did and FOX canned it. Or were you being sarcastic?
View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Family guy isn’t as good as it once was but I wouldn’t go so far as to call it dog feces. If a show can still make me laugh from time to time then its still worth something in my book.

The current season is definitely better than the last two. I like it a lot. I believe that the current season is just as good as the earlier seasons.
Honestly, I didn't like season one though.
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Sun May 02, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sun May 02, 2010 6:37 pm

Family guy isn’t as good as it once was but I wouldn’t go so far as to call it dog feces. If a show can still make me laugh from time to time then its still worth something in my book.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Sun May 02, 2010 7:10 pm

View Original PostJoseph the PRPD wrote:He did and FOX canned it. Or were you being sarcastic?

No sarcasm, but so what if FOX did? FOX also canned Arrested Development, which was hella genius. I've never seen The Winner, so who knows? I could see it being a fail though. Live action's really not the same as animation.
"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sun May 02, 2010 8:47 pm

View Original Postplanet news wrote:No sarcasm, but so what if FOX did? FOX also canned Arrested Development, which was hella genius.

The problem is that The Winner actually sucked. It was worse than the majority of season 6 and the second half of season 5 of Family Guy.

FOX let him have a sitcom and it just didn't work out well.
That's not to say that if he had another shot at it, it wouldn't work out but FOX most likely wouldn't take another chance and possibly other networks wouldn't take a chance as well.
===========
Wow. That episode was nice.
It was funny and I definitely liked that style change, I think it worked well.
But I didn't expect the ending to be so deep. Just wow. I'm still surprised.
I think this might really be my favorite FG episode. I also think this would have been a really good series finale.
I'm enjoying the clips as well.
Brian admitting to voting for McCain made me laugh hard.

i_Love_Asuka
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby i_Love_Asuka » Fri May 07, 2010 4:50 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Family guy isn’t as good as it once was but I wouldn’t go so far as to call it dog feces.

yeah, but many shows suffered from a lack of continues inspiration from the writers.
like South Park (watch it sometimes, but the first episodes where just classic, now, it's just a giant parody on everything with no internal character development or stories left, or atleast very rare)

Married with Children (realy liked that show, but honestly, just watch like 10 episodes and you've seen them all)

and like every sitcom out there

and now it hits Family Guy, i still like it and enjoy their episodes but i notice that Seth Macfarlane's humour is now more a far throw at everything he thinks would intrest people instead of him trying to actually be funny
"My awesome awesomness is so awesome that no other awesome awesomness in the entire awesome universe of awesome awesomness is that awesome!" - the guy who said it (i was)
"when i ask my girlfriend to act and behave more like Asuka, and she slaps me in the face, does that mean she agrees?" - I_Love_Asuka
"I'm here to love my Asuka and kick ass! and i'm all out of ass..." - rip off of LittleKuriboh
"For someone called "i_Love_Asuka" your pretty hard core" - Defectron
"sorry, i prefer i_Love_Asuka, he's a real man!" - Soljer13

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Fri May 07, 2010 5:16 pm

View Original PostDevRei17 wrote:When will people wake up and realize this show's terrible?

When Simpsons start being funny again.

Return to “Film and Video”