Star Wars

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: Star Wars

Postby Sachi » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:23 am

I really hope they keep it small. I want an Obi-Wan Western similar to Unforgiven. I want him struggling with his faith as a Jedi, his guilt as a failed teacher, and his burden of looking over Luke. This film should be about him finding clarity in his purpose. Please no flashbacks. You can get so much more emotion with Ewan simply becoming lost in his thoughts and filled with regret over his past. An encounter between him and Owen Lars could be very interesting as well.

This film needs to be for the character of Obi-Wan, as Logan was for Jackman's version of Wolverine.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:24 am

I can't wait to see another movie full of reference to make nerds claps and cheer, carefully planned plot points not so different from what has already been done in the original movies to not alienate the "hardcores" and cameos of characters from the OT. :um:

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:07 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:I can't wait to see another movie full of reference to make nerds claps and cheer, carefully planned plot points not so different from what has already been done in the original movies to not alienate the "hardcores" and cameos of characters from the OT. :um:

Me neither. :D

Oh, you mean those are bad things? I'd be happy with a movie on par with Rogue One.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby FrDougal9000 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:16 pm

So that's... what now, THREE Star Wars spin-off films where the entire premise seems to be based on fanservice and nothing else?

Rouge One: Let's take this opportunity to expand on the Star Wars universe by addressing a 'plothole' that only riles up CinemaSins and overly nitpicky folks.

Han Solo: Let's take this opportunity to expand on the Star Wars universe by giving a popular character a backstory that nobody asked for.

Obi-Wan: Let's take this opportunity to expand on the Star Wars universe by giving a popular character an intermission that nobody asked for.

You'd think that when making Star Wars spin-off films, the first thing to do would be to get away from what the main films do, or at the very least go off into interesting tangents. But NOPE! We've gotta appeal to the fans, we can't take risks that may result in something interesting, we have to be 'safe' enough that we'll make 2 billion dollars at the box office instead of 1.5 billion, because god forbid the executives be unable to buy a fifth mansion if they miss out on that 500 million bonus!

Yeah, this is just lame. You could have forgiven Rogue One since it did give us a bigger glimpse at the universe during the Empire's reign (despite the fact that it's still incredibly boring and trite fanservice masquerading as a two hour film), you might have been able to forgive the Han Solo film if it was just a one off thing, but now that we're doing another character backstory prequel, it's pretty clear that whoever's in charge cannot escape the original films and won't let these spin-offs, you know, spin off from the source material. It'll just be an endless parade of 'tributes' that never go anywhere interesting for fear of disrespecting those precious original films.

What utter bollocks.
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:50 pm

I admit Han Solo is the character spin-off film nobody asked for. Obi-Wan is another story however. I've heard plenty of people asking for this, and specifically for Ewan McGregor to return. There's a lot of story to be told between Ep III and IV for Kenobi, and it would be nice to see him fulfill a full character arc of his own in one film.

Also, what's a Star Wars spin-off idea not based on fanservice? Old Republic era? Newp, still fanservice. New characters in previously explored era? That's Rogue One. Future era? Impossible until the new saga is complete and we have a shape of the future for Star Wars. All the Star Wars films will always be fanservice. There's not getting around it.
- Sachi

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby FrDougal9000 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:08 pm

Wasn't Obi-Wan supposed to have gone into hiding between III & IV? As in, keeping out of the way and doing as little as possible in order to not attract the Empire's attention? Because if that's the case, I really don't know how you can make a big blockbuster film about a character who is deliberately doing nothing for nearly 20 years (unless the Kenobi film decides to become a very introspective character study, but that would actually be interesting).

On the point that every Star Wars spin-off is fanservice to some degree, you're correct. After all, every spin-off based on any series is fanservice on some level. But not every spin-off in Star Wars has to rely on the crutch of fanservice at the expense of anything else.

The Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars series is based on a fanservice premise, but it succeeds by using the medium of 2D animation and the storytelling skills of the people behind Samurai Jack to express concepts and themes of the franchise that could only be done through stylised animation. Knights of the Old Republic adds tons of extra detail and backstory to Star Wars, but is made up for that by exploring the concepts of Jedi/Sith morality through the context of a western RPG.

Meanwhile Rogue One is a deeply dull film that does nothing that hasn't already been done in the main films, and keeps pointing back to those things in lieu of anything worth discussing. Be it Michael Giacchino's score constantly quoting John Williams' themes, characters popping up for no other reason than to make fans squee, or showing an extra few minutes of Leia's ship being raided by Darth Vader in a scene that doesn't really add anything, Rogue One just feels content to nod and wink to the fans.

I wouldn't find having blatantly fanservice-y premises if the filmmakers were doing something interesting, but with the public still high on the idea of new, not-awful Star Wars happening all the time, there's no real impetus to do that for the time being.

And for the fun of it, here's a premise to a Star Wars spin-off that I'd actually be curious enough to check out: during either the Clone Wars/Empire Reign, a group of four or five troopers realize how expendable they are and go AWOL in an attempt to find an existence for themselves. It would be a comedy-drama about these five near-identical men attempting to discover their own identities, getting into all manner of scrapes and trouble, while trying to evade a platoon sent out to exterminate them. It's not the best idea for a film, but at least it could go somewhere the main films would never normally go.
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:44 pm

Yes, I want the introspective character study for Obi-Wan. Have him struggling with finding his inner peace. Get him swept up in a small, but emotional adventure. Make it a Western.
- Sachi

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:04 pm

The Star Wars universe is supposed to have ridiculous George R R Martin esque levels of history, like there were Jedis a million years ago or some shit like that. Do something way before or way after the main sequence movies. Maybe make one that has no Jedi or force shit in it at all.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:17 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:The Star Wars universe is supposed to have ridiculous George R R Martin esque levels of history, like there were Jedis a million years ago or some shit like that. Do something way before or way after the main sequence movies. Maybe make one that has no Jedi or force shit in it at all.

I would really like to see something like that as I read some of the early comics on that and I like that the Jedi were not all white and good and that the Silth weren't all black and evil instead its many shades or grey and about different points of view and its fascinating.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:56 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:I admit Han Solo is the character spin-off film nobody asked for. Obi-Wan is another story however.

I probably would have been more excited about an Obi-Wan story if it wasn't for the Han Solo spin off. Or Rouge One, for that matter. There's way too much untapped potential in that film, and what was explored was base-line and mediocre at best. It doesn't give me much promise for the future of Star Wars movies.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:08 am

You have an actual galaxy to play with & all Disney does is tell stories closely connected to the main storyline. Yawn. I'd call them stupid but as far as economics go its genius. Rogue One was close to garbage & still made over $500 million in the US alone.

Maybe, MAYBE if the Obi-Wan movie turns out to be that Seven Samurai knock-off Seven Jedi that was making the rounds in Hollywood a decade ago I'll give it a chance. I mean, the Seven Samurai story structure is so flawless that even Antoine Fuqua couldn't mess it up with his Magnificent Seven remake. Otherwise, I've already decided when I'm going to start skipping Marvel movies (right after the fourth Avengers, will not pay to see a sequel to the non-movie that was Spider-Man: Homecoming) I guess an Obi-Wan flick is the perfect time to avoid Star Wars.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:01 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:The Star Wars universe is supposed to have ridiculous George R R Martin esque levels of history, like there were Jedis a million years ago or some shit like that. Do something way before or way after the main sequence movies. Maybe make one that has no Jedi or force shit in it at all.

KOTOR the movie, that would be effin epic.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:51 pm

Wait. You condemn the Obi-Wan film (that we know nothing about yet) for being fanservice full of references and cameos to make nerds clap, and yet you want them to adapt KOTOR into a film? Wouldn't that be the ultimate fanservice?
- Sachi

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:49 pm

I don't want literally KOTOR the movie, but a movie completely unrelated to any of the other movies or known characters.
The world of Star Wars is almost infinite in theory, let's explore it.
Obviously I know that it will never happen, the amount of work needed in pre production to create a totally unrelated sub universe will discourage Disney to pursue this route.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:18 pm

I wouldn't discard the possibility of a Star Wars film set in the Old Republic. There's plenty of demand for it, and I'm sure the SW story group is aware of it. The new canon is already exploring alternative factions worshipping the force with the Bendu, the Church of the Whills, and whatever Snoke and the Knights of Ren are a part of. They should wait until after the new saga is complete to explore different eras though. It's confusing enough for the casual viewer as it is to get the timeline of the movies straight; they already took a huge risk in putting Rogue One between Ep VII and VIII. Taking away the opening crawl didn't exactly help in placing audiences in their setting either. For now, I'm fine with them making stories in familiar territory with the stand alone films while the new saga films can explore new territory. Think of it like Marvel phases, and expect phase 2 of Disney Star Wars to begin after the new saga trilogy is complete.
- Sachi

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:15 pm

I'd like to see the ultimate origin story - the birth of the Jedi Order and the schism that created Sith. They could do several trilogies with that if they wanted to, and it would be nice to get away from anything familiar. Others have said it and I agree, the time and space in the Star Wars Universe is vast, perhaps disney should stop expanding on this relatively small piss hole in the snow and aim for somewhere else in the timeline that will build a better understanding of the Jedi and Sith's original motives for being.

Then they could build into the foundation of the Old Republic and whatever "star wars" that allowed it to be formed.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:33 pm

I'd really love it if they had the nards to throw everything out. All of it. Give us a new clone wars, yadda yadda. Just don't go full Lucas and hide/destroy the old stuff. People can like multiple versions of the same thing.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:59 pm

I doubt they will. Considering that TFA was a rehash/nostalgia trip to ANH, they don't seem capable of straying too far from the mainstream SWU, and I'm Disney likes nice, linear storylines, so multiple versions of the same thing in canon is unlikely, which is why we now have the Legends stuff which used to be part of canon.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:34 pm

Disney ain't gonna play risky games with Star Wars. The fans have proven after 40 years they don't like change. Disney is not going to provide much change. Most likely for at least the next decade the furthest they'll stray from the main series will end up being Rogue One... which was a fan pandery bit of meh that was intentionally designed to be a one-off placeholder between Episodes 7 & 8.

It's not official yet but all signs are pointing towards the idea that Disney is already stepping away from Original Spin-Offs (well... as Original as they'll let it be while still pushing in Darth Vader, C3PO & R2D2 appearances) & focus on side-franchising based on characters from the original series.

It's not common news yet but Alden Ehrenreich signed a multi-film contract that could keep him playing Young Han Solo pretty regularly for up to a decade, at which point he'll be older than Harrison Ford was when he first took on the role. They're probably gonna have Ewan McGregor sign up for a handful of Mid-Life Crisis Obi-Wan movies. It's only a matter of time until they announce the Boba Fett movie franchise or TV series & maybe a Yoda spin-off too. Plus, I'm sure someone in the Disney offices has already had the genius idea of pulling an Avengers style crossover project a few films down the line set in the Star Wars universe. A big tentpole movie where the new Boba Fett, the new Han Solo, Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan and others all team up after headlining their own respective films to take on a bigger threat is a surefire box office record breaker. Not to mention at some point they'll most likely start doing spin-offs from Episodes 7 to 9. Maybe see if John Boyega & Oscar Isaac are interested in doing a Finn & Poe spin-off series together. Tumbler will be thrilled I'm sure.

In fact, the only curious thing is what Disney plans to do with Core Star Wars. As in the three trilogies - Episodes I through IX. Will Disney even bother doing a fourth Trilogy (Episodes X through XII)? Would they treat new Core Star Wars movies like Marvel does an Avengers film where the other movies, your Spider-mans & Captain America movies, are allowed to be their own thing (kinda but not really) while really setting up characters, events & the plot of the next big centerpiece movie? How will a new Core Star Wars movie feel in a time where Disney is pumping out two to three of these things a year? It certainly won't feel novel or fresh.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:24 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:In fact, the only curious thing is what Disney plans to do with Core Star Wars. As in the three trilogies - Episodes I through IX. Will Disney even bother doing a fourth Trilogy (Episodes X through XII)? Would they treat new Core Star Wars movies like Marvel does an Avengers film where the other movies, your Spider-mans & Captain America movies, are allowed to be their own thing (kinda but not really) while really setting up characters, events & the plot of the next big centerpiece movie? How will a new Core Star Wars movie feel in a time where Disney is pumping out two to three of these things a year? It certainly won't feel novel or fresh.

No it'll feel like Star Wars is pushing rope with the over saturation we're sure to get from the MCU/profit happy Disney. Look at the MCU, they have what, 20 years worth of movies planned out? How many movies is that? 40-50 in total? How many Star Wars films will we see in the next 20 years? 20-25? That's far too many.

Return to “Film and Video”