[Film] Transformers (2007)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:21 am

Well, I'm planning to go watch this with my brother and cousin tomorrow, so I'll kinda report in if I go see it.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:30 am

CorporalChaos wrote:Well, I'm planning to go watch this with my brother and cousin tomorrow, so I'll kinda report in if I go see it.

Trust me, you'll like it ;)

I would say something, but I don't want to take my chances on spoiling it for those who want to watch it.
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:20 am

The review over at Cinematical was less than glowing. Although the article is kind of long, it perfectly describes everything I believe about Michael Bay's directing "style." Here's a couple of bits of the article for those who don't want to read the entire thing:

I don't think it's too much to ask that it could, at least, be competently and coherently made, which it isn't. There's no rhythm to the big moments of action -- they're too quickly-cut and closely-shot to be clear or comprehensible -- and the script, credited to Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, is littered with failures in both simple taste and basic storytelling.

the problem here isn't the plot (or, more correctly, isn't just the plot); it's in the execution, in the dialogue, in the tone and feel and shaping of the film. There's not a single scene in Transformers that doesn't contain either some leaden, limp cliché or some basic failure of good storytelling.

But the fact is that the effects in Transformers, even in the film-ending robotcalypse, are poorly-shot and framed. There are precious few long, stable shots of the transformers, uh, transforming; They're mostly done fast and up-close as if trying to distract us from how clumsy the effects are.

Transformers is supposedly about robots who turn into cars and back again; what it's really about is big Hollywood turning money into stupid and back again – because as bad as Transformers is, it's going to make cash hand over fist as long as audiences want their major motion pictures giving them spectacle instead of storytelling and junk effects instead of real entertainment.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:50 am

Exactly, the storyline wasn't all that great... Michael Bay...
A mixture between comedy and action... weird, but I thought it was ok.
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:03 pm

Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:54 pm

Yeah, I saw it yesterday at AX. Definitely enjoyable, even if Michael Bay's not going to win any awards for direction.

Script was pretty good. Could have done with even less dialogue in places. Soundtrack had some really odd pop music choices. Overall, though, a really fun action movie.

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fearthebait » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:35 pm

I thought it was good. The people just dont want a clear storyline anymore, the want action, big explosions, and a love story. They got it all.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:46 pm

Fearthebait wrote:and a love story. They got it all.

Well, that crosses it off my list of summer viewing.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fearthebait » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:49 pm

well, more of a "This girl im trying to get to go out with me wants her juvenile record removed so ill make sure you guys get rid of that before i save the world"

Now I would suggest putting it back on.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:21 am

just saw it...

those reviewers are lacking penis...

it was just dripping with raw unfettered coolness...the end...

you know...i must say...LaBuff is actually a good actor...despite being sprouted from the dumbass Disney Channel...he was good in that golf movie and the other one where hes in house arrest...
(hes getting a lot of good roles lately isnt he?)

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:29 am

BrikHaus wrote:The review over at Cinematical was less than glowing. Although the article is kind of long, it perfectly describes everything I believe about Michael Bay's directing "style." Here's a couple of bits of the article for those who don't want to read the entire thing:

I have no doubt that those reviews are on point, because I've seen a few of Bay's films as well. But there comes a point when you just have to forget all about any kind of standards of good storytelling or film making and just enjoy a sloppily made but otherwise fun movie. There's a ton of these out there - call them "guilty pleasures" if you want. You can't be looking for fillet mignon in a Butterfinger. ;)

LMAO!

"Eject! Operation: Shut the Fuck Up!"

:lol:
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:41 am

i like the small bit of the transforming Xbox 360. it was also cool when they used that theme from 'Kill Bill'
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:11 am

I think Hollywood's kinda figured out the trick of money whoring childhood memories. I just found out about an Alvin and the Chipmunks and a Voltron movie that they've started work on.

I'm kinda scared to go to a movie theater now.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:48 pm

Hey there, bitches!

I just saw TRANSFORMERS. And I have to say it's good. Very good. Better than I expected! But not great. My main gripes are that it went about a half hour too long and, while I knew the plot would be thin considering who the director was, the dialog could have been much better.

CorporalChaos wrote:I think Hollywood's kinda figured out the trick of money whoring childhood memories. I just found out about an Alvin and the Chipmunks and a Voltron movie that they've started work on. <snip>
Yeah, no shite. I saw both on display in the lobby. :roll:

Although I was encourage by some previews I saw. There was this one with Will Smith called "I Am Legend." And there's this weird unnamed movie that involves J.J. Abrams that looks like the crew from The Blair Witch Project shot it. I looked it up and the working title is called "Cloverfield", whatever that means.

20XD6_Tyrant
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby 20XD6_Tyrant » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:11 pm

I've said it before, and i'll say it again: The cinematography in Mike Bay's movies was the insperation for those durn Mountain Dew Commercials.

Eh, at least The Rock was a good moive. Plus Nick Cages girlfriend was hot. Like so:Image

Thank you for this public service annoucement.
Apparently, I'm the admin's new(read:old) Chew toy.

Malichinari
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Malichinari » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:45 pm

I just saw it, and personally, I thought it was awsome. Let the people whine about lack of storyline. I think it is one of the best shows in a long time and I'm not even a Transformers fan.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:11 pm

Malichinari wrote:I just saw it, and personally, I thought it was awsome. Let the people whine about lack of storyline. I think it is one of the best shows in a long time and I'm not even a Transformers fan.

It's one of those hit and miss by M. Bay.
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

20XD6_Tyrant
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby 20XD6_Tyrant » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:19 pm

Malichinari wrote:I just saw it, and personally, I thought it was awsome. Let the people whine about lack of storyline. I think it is one of the best shows in a long time and I'm not even a Transformers fan.

Bay does have a pretty spotty record, as far as movies go. The Rock was quality, but Armaggdon was pants, really. The Rock was crap, but it was entertaining crap. Armaggedon is entertaing, but in a more background sound way. The Island was okay, but mostly, I like it because of the concept of using clones as organ banks.

Bay, though, is hated, but wheather it's entirely fair or not is really up to you.
Apparently, I'm the admin's new(read:old) Chew toy.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:14 pm

I'd say he's a decent director. They might not be oscar winning movie, but are entertaining to watch.
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:26 pm

Opteron-O3 wrote:I'd say he's a decent director.
Hahahaha... No.

He knows how to make a stupidly simple entertaining "blockbuster", but that's about it.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Return to “Film and Video”