Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:22 pm

Just got done watching Reign of the Supermen.

This one in the main continuity of DC Animated Universe features ranks extremely high on my list, possibly number one. Everyone had a part to play in the final battle, right down to Lois who is no longer a damsel and kicks ass even saving Clark's life at the critical moment. The rest of the Justice League are sidelined for most of the film so it could focus on the message of the humans being their own heroes for once. Steel Irons is represented with respect and not fucked up like the live action Shaq travesty of the 90s. Even the devilishly charming Lex Luthor joins in on the universe saving festivities when the situation calls for it. Superboy was annoying at first but after spending some moments of motherly love from Lois, he matures way faster than that pea brain Damian Wayne ever did with his father Bruce which took IDK how many damn movies!
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:37 am

The Batman teaser - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLOp_6uPccQ
Massive Batfleck supporter here... they sold me. Damn this is going hard into the Seven-ish gritty noir vibe and I am loving it hard. His suit and even mask looks vastly better than I feared going by BTS pics of the stuntman in the suit.
And note this fantastic trailer was put together with only 25-30% of the film done.

Wonder Woman 1984 trailer 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW2E2Fnh52w
Better than 1st trailer.

The Suicide Squad
Roll Call - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8tWKJwyG6Y
BTS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VImYeXnr13Q
Harley finally has a great outfit. Straight up adapting her Injustice 2 design with the Jacket.
Peacemaker looks ok, colors are too bright.
I like the island setting and comparisons to 70s war films.
Dislike how smooth & cartoony King Shark looks.
The CW did shockingly better.
And so did Stan Winston way back in 1997 for Peter Benchley's Creature and he did it with Practical Effects.
SPOILER: Show

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:It’s smart of Warner Brothers to get everyone excited about the many Batmen who are going to appear in THE FLASH film.

It keeps people from taking about Ezra Miller’s recent assault charges and the tons of other upsetting stuff that is soon going to come out about him in the next two years (And there’s a lot) between now and the release.

By the time the movie comes out and who Miller is is public knowledge everyone will still end up going to see the film because it will be marketed as “The Meeting of the Batmen”

Didn't know he was actually charged.
Do you know why they don't just fire him and cancel the apocalyptically troubled movie production?
We aren't getting another DCEU Justice League so The Flash not appearing again won't effect future WW or Aquaman films. I just don't see the benefit of keeping him.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:32 pm

movieartman wrote:Do you know why they don't just fire him and cancel the apocalyptically troubled movie production?

That I have no idea. My guess would be he has a really good contract and it would cost WB more to replace him in the role than just continue ahead with production. Turning The Flash into a Batman Reunion basically means the film will be a smash success no matter if the bad PR comes out or not.

Anywho, I watched the trailers from FanDome and easily Matt Reeves The Batman was the standout. I know they’ve only shot 1/4 of the movie but I hope that awesome trailer is indicative of what the film is going to be and it will stay smaller scale. I didn’t like Joker but I liked that it was a mid budget movie and didn’t revolve around a third act action sequence full of plot McMuffins and explosive set pieces and would like to see more of that. I’d love a Smaller Batman film where the villain isn’t trying to “destroy Gotham”.

Most Hollywood productions usually put the most effects heavy sequences near the start of the schedule if they can to give the VFX team more time to work So I’m hoping we’re getting a small scale Batman story where he hunts down a serial killer Riddler and it stays that scale.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:47 am

Chadwick Boseman has died of colon cancer at 43. He was diagnosed with stage 3 back in 2016 and made 8 films while battling it.
Absolute warrior!
RIP!

EDIT --- Removed comments about the future of Panther in the Mcu. Sorry.
Last edited by movieartman on Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:51 am

Holy shit, what the fuck....

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:25 pm

Hey “movieart”man,

Maybe wait a few days until you start worrying about what’s going to happen in Black Panther II. You didn’t even wait a few hours. A human being, by all accounts a kind and caring one, just died.

RIP Chadwick Boseman.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:02 pm

If anything the idea of there even having been a Black Panther II in the works despite Chadwick Boseman battling cancer for 4 years makes me really mad. Like, how long were they gonna keep pressuring this dying man into making The Mouse money? (The answer was apparently “Until he dies, of course.”)

I know I’m sounding somewhat unreasonable right now, but seriously, this whole situation makes me immeasurably sad.

RIP Chadwick Boseman.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:49 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Hey “movieart”man,

Maybe wait a few days until you start worrying about what’s going to happen in Black Panther II. You didn’t even wait a few hours. A human being, by all accounts a kind and caring one, just died.

RIP Chadwick Boseman.

I just made those points about the MCU ramifications because of the relevance to this thread. I strongly commended him on his fight & drive beforehand, I genuinely can't even imagine the willpower to do all that.

I heard the news around 10pm and didn't post the news until 3am-ish, so yes I did wait a bit. I expected you or someone else to bring it up first.

My mom got tears in her eyes when I gave her the news & tonight me and her may watch 21 Bridges which he stars in.
My grandfather (who was nicer to me than my actual father) died of cancer & my aunt was recently cleared of cancer so trust me I do not take cancer deaths lightly

And "movieart" in my username was just because I was into movies & I was a artist, it wasn't meant to be anything pretentious.

I strongly apologize to everyone if I seemed disrespectful.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:If anything the idea of there even having been a Black Panther II in the works despite Chadwick Boseman battling cancer for 4 years makes me really mad. Like, how long were they gonna keep pressuring this dying man into making The Mouse money? (The answer was apparently “Until he dies, of course.”)

Hopefully he genuinely wanted to do it all, if to leave his wife some money if nothing else but yeah them announcing BP2 with him presumably not in the clear would be messed up.
Maybe he was in remission.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:02 am

Really well done fan concept art for the Flash Batman team up movie by George Evangelista.
Flash's outfit is based on official concept art at Fandome.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:17 am

The Batman delayed till 2022.

Wandavision teaser.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj9J2ecsSpo
Not sure how I feel about the Sitcom illusion thing. I am glad Vision's suit doesn't appear to have degraded under a tv budget, always liked the execution of his design in the movie.

John Cena's Peacemaker from the upcoming Suicide Squad sequel will get his own HBO (prequel?) series written and partially directed by James Gunn.
I'm down as long as it's not too cheap or silly.

Black Widow pushed to Summer 2021.

A Nick Fury show with Jackson returning is in early development.

Tatiana Maslany (orphan black) will play She-Hulk & Iman Vellani will play Kamala Khan / Ms Marvel in their Disney+ series.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:07 pm

- Oscar Issac will play Moon Knight.
- Jeremy Slater is the showrunner, leading the writing team on the series.
- Mohamed Diab will direct the series.

Diab’s film Eshtebak (Clash) was an official selection at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival, in the Un Certain Regard category. He is also known for his directorial debut film Cairo 678, which was released a month before the Egyptian revolution. Diab also wrote the blockbuster Egyptian franchise El Gezeira (The Island), which are among the highest grossing Egyptian and Arabic films of all time. His next feature, Amira is eyed for release in 2021.

Diab, known for his style of propulsive and prescient filmmaking, is repped by CAA and Greenberg Glusker.

I am all for this. I really liked the David Finch MK stuff, I fell off in the Vengeance of MK run. A lot to catch up up on.

I hope they don't nuter him or his mythos too much for Disney+.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:25 am

- Loki series trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4JuopziR3Q
Looks absolutely fantastic.

- Falcon & The Winter Soldier series trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkBfGvb7NzM
A little underwhelming but still strongly looking forward to this.

- Wandavision trailer 2 - https://wws.youtube.com/watch?v=UBhlqe2OTt4

- What If? Series trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iLVoEg9aLk
Don't love the animation style but I am intrigued.

- Ms Marvel sizzle reel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRNI9TtBM5E

- We are confirmed to be getting a Mcu Fantastic 4 movie by Spider Man Homecoming/Far From Home director Jon Watts.

- Samuel L. Jackson and Ben Mendelsohn will reprise their Captain Marvel roles for a Secret Invasion series

- Ironheart was confirmed with If Beale Street Could Talk actress Dominique Thorne on board as Riri Williams. Concerning. Riri is easily among the absolute worst of the recent hyped diversity characters in comics. And with the following she seems redundant...

- Armor Wars will see Don Cheadle return as War Machine. Strongly pleased about this.

- In addition, a Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special from James Gunn is coming in 2022, and there's a series of Groot-centric shorts in development.

- Plus, we have confirmation that Mark Ruffalo (Bruce Banner) and Tim Roth (Abomination) will be a part of the She-Hulk series, with Tatiana Maslany now officially signed on as Jennifer Walters.

- Christian Bale is confirmed to be playing Gorr the God Butcher in Thor - Love & Thunder. I am profoundly pissed as his arcs God Butcher/God Bomb are among my favorite comics ever and I do NOT trust that Taika Waititi will do it justice. Said arcs were 99% dead serious while Waititi's Ragnarok was pure spoof comedy with zero emotional weight outside of Odin's death.

- Ant-Man 3, meanwhile, has a title: Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. Jonathan Majors is playing Kang the Conqueror & Cassie Lang has been recast, with Detective Pikachu star Kathryn Newton now playing the character.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:23 pm

Very positive review for WW84.
https://youtu.be/NMMsjhmgXk0

Points of note she made...
- Film is extremely emotionally effective.
- Pascal is fantastic, indepth and nearly gets as much screentime as Gadot.
- It has the wonder & whimsical tone from the romantic flight between Chrostopher Reeves & Kidder throughout the entire film.
- Cheetah didn't need to be in the film at all.
- Next to zero explanation for her becoming Cheetah, she just shows up transformed.
- Suprising lack of action.
- Donner style cartoonishness sharply contrasting the grounded grit of the first film.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:23 pm

Apparently, though, the movie is doing terribly in China, which by this point is really the only major theatrical market still open. Which makes me wonder, if Wonder Woman 1984 flops in theaters but does really well as an HBOMax movie, would it be right to call it a box office flop?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:03 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:- Falcon & The Winter Soldier series trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkBfGvb7NzM
A little underwhelming but still strongly looking forward to this.

Full trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWBsDaFWyTE

Full trailer for Snyder's Justice League cut
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM-Bja2Gy04

Modern Darkseid looks good.
Steppenwolf's design/armor is firmly worse than the theatrical.
The TDKR Bat tank is in there and looks perfect (altho a bit bigger than the comics)
Music is great.
Scale, scope & feel is bigger than the theatrical.

People still complaining about the CGI, I agree Steppenwolf still looks weak in terms of rendering but the red CGI sky filter & crystaline formations in the theatrical cut all looked much worse than anything I am seeing here.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:06 pm

Sasha Calle added to The Flash as Supergirl because this asinine film isn't profoundly overstuffed already. :cringe:

First look at the animated Aquaman - King of Atlantis mini series (that quasi epilogues the dceu film) reveals it to be weapons grade eye cancer.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/aquaman/ ... ge-a182541
Aimed at kids or not, there is no excuse for this.

Full trailer for the animated Invincible series - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bfAVpuko5o
Looks good, not great. Voice cast is really solid.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:34 pm

What the fuck is that artstyle
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:23 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:First look at the animated Aquaman - King of Atlantis mini series (that quasi epilogues the dceu film) reveals it to be weapons grade eye cancer.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/aquaman/ ... ge-a182541
Aimed at kids or not, there is no excuse for this.

I think there trying to rip of Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts, but that style in that show works perfectly because the world is kind of insane and on LSD and it's not even subtle about that it wears that badge very proudly. Like you sit down and watch it you know just the kind of ride you are in for.

On the above frame it's clear that they didn't learn why Kipo works so well as though its drug inducing its colour palette is quite soft, so it doesn't hurt your brain or eyes.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:50 pm

I'm getting more of a Regular Show vibe from that artwork.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:25 am

JJ Abrams is now officially producing a Superman reboot with writer Ta-Nehisi Coates.
- https://www.comicbookmovie.com/superman ... es-a182776
- https://www.comicbookmovie.com/superman ... le-a182777

Man of Steel being among my favorite movies it is incredibly upsetting that we almost certainly now won't be getting a sequel.

JJ would be a fine Superman director choice as long as he is kept from using anything from his Flyby script or overly homaging/rehashing the Donner films.

Coates: While I strongly liked the first 8 or so issues of his Black Panther run before I fell off of reading comics, I have extreme disdain for him personally & ideologically.

Blackwashing Superman I am mostly indifferent too, just seems pointless. If you need a black lead to make up for dropping Ray Fisher make a GL movie with Stewart (always my favorite human lantern) or a Steel movie set between BVS and JL or even a Icon movie.

Return to “Film and Video”