Ghostbusters Reboot

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Ghostbusters Reboot

•      
  •      

Postby Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:14 am

View Original PostRay wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ugHP-yZXw

Thoughts? Will this be bad, good? Average? Any of you have issues with Melissa McCarthy or the mostly female cast?

Personally, I don't think it'll be god-awful. But then again I thought the same thing about Pixels and Fant4stic last year. So hoping for the best expecting the worst.

Judging by the trailers,it will be a generic Adam Sandler comedy.
Asuka Langley Soryu is our Lord and Saviour.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:55 am

I'm a visual snob. Production value matters. Recording a rambling "review" in your car at night does not a review make.

And Hitfix - a real film news website - claims they're running their Ghostbusters review this Sunday morning and I can't find any actual confirmation of a a damning strict "no reviews until the film is in theaters" embargo.

UPDATE: Looks like all the pre-talk of a heavy embargo may have been another story made up by the "I am in full support of equality between the sexes BUT women can't fucking be Ghostbusters" camp because actual publications released their reviews as of today (Sunday July 10th).

General consensus so far, the movie doesn't reinvent the wheel and Paul Feig stumbles in the third act finale due to his inexperience with effects heavy spectacle, but the cast is excellent, the jokes mostly land now with the provided context (Feig movies rarely have really funny trailers because the jokes are primarily character based & that's hard to get across in a the punchy way trailers are edited) and the movie works as a fun two hours. Ultimately overall thought seems to be you're enjoyment of the movie is probably more based on what your mindset is going in. If you already think Ghostbusters 2016 is an abomination that "raped your childhood" (it can't) you won't like the film. If you go in expecting a fun time at the movies you'll probably have a fun time at the movies. Might not make your Top 10 of the year but it won't be a wash.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:56 pm

It's funny that this new more progressive Ghostbusters actually treats the black character with less respect then the film made in 1985, granted this may be my annoyance with seeing the same boisterous black stereotype portrayed over and over again.(think Kevin Hart) Here's hoping the cast of SNL can actually make me laugh for once.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:15 pm

1. Apparently she is less one-note in the final film. The marketing (which was not great for the film) just lifted the lines & beats that were the broadest to put in the trailer. :/

2. The original cast were just a bunch of SNL actors when that movie was made.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:51 pm

Reviews so far do seem quite promising; even many "rotten" ones are lukewarm and not exclusively negative. May have to make a date night of this after all! ^_^
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:48 am

I never thought the movie looked bad, and the reviews are promising enough that I now do want to see it. However, I'm not too keen on the idea of this movie being a success, because then I'll have to hear "told ya so!" from SJWs for at least two years. Maybe I'll see it using a coupon and/or at a matinee so that I won't have contributed too much.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:11 am

BVS got good reviews before it was released to the masses, and we all know how that turned out.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:20 am

View Original PostRay wrote:BVS got good reviews before it was released to the masses, and we all know how that turned out.

If memory serves, those were from regular joes. These reviews are from professional critics.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:38 am

Well. . . Don't hate me for this. But given all the poison and bad politics surrounding the movie, I've decided to wait until I can get it on Netflix.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:12 am

View Original PostRay wrote:BVS got good reviews before it was released to the masses, and we all know how that turned out.

BvS actually got about a 35% on RT from the critics a few days before release. It was the non-critic bloggers who hadn't seen it yet that were trying to defend the yet-unreleased film prior to watching it themselves. Many of them quit defending the film that following week.

Though, I will say, reviews for Ghostbusters do look more promising than the reviews for BvS. Time to see if this movie is worth anything to me.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:24 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Well. . . Don't hate me for this. But given all the poison and bad politics surrounding the movie, I've decided to wait until I can get it on Netflix.

Fair enough. I'd do the same thing if I had more patience.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:53 pm

well leave it to them to perpetuate the stereotype. people are already claiming that some of the positive Ghostbusters reviews are plants by Sony in attempt to sell the movie despite it sucking.

http://furiousfanboys.com/2016/07/sony- ... ew-youtube

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:42 am

That article appears to be about a planted review, singular.

Fortunately, people do exist who actually survey a variety of opinions before they spend their money!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:50 am

The evidence seems to check out. I guess Sony knew that regardless of the film's actual quality, YouTube wouldn't be too kind to it. I wonder if this might actually be legal, since this guy isn't a real, Rotten Tomatoes-type critic.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:56 am

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote:It's funny that this new more progressive Ghostbusters actually treats the black character with less respect then the film made in 1985, granted this may be my annoyance with seeing the same boisterous black stereotype portrayed over and over again.(think Kevin Hart) Here's hoping the cast of SNL can actually make me laugh for once.

While I'm normally 100% on board with this line of thinking, Leslie Jones is apparently not amused by the idea:

http://www.papermag.com/leslie-jones-re ... 37736.html

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/04/gh ... slie-jones

http://www.eonline.com/news/746123/ghos ... s-released

Also, the movie is 76% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, so planting reviews doesn't seem to be necessary.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:37 am

Even some of the positive reviews admit that the movie has mediocre elements, and some of them even admit that they're being lenient because they like the main cast.

Also Richard Roeper released a review. It's not a positive review. Makes you wonder what Roger Ebert would have thought.
http://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainme ... ying-mess/

View Original PostBagheera wrote:While I'm normally 100% on board with this line of thinking, Leslie Jones is apparently not amused by the idea:

http://www.papermag.com/leslie-jones-re ... 37736.html

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/04/gh ... slie-jones

http://www.eonline.com/news/746123/ghos ... s-released

Also, the movie is 76% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, so planting reviews doesn't seem to be necessary.

Aren't things usually put into people's contracts where they can't talk negatively about a film for so & so years? If she has one in her contract, wouldn't this fall under that? Not trying to say she's not actually stating her true feelings, but you can never really tell considering how scummy Hollywood is.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:02 am

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:Even some of the positive reviews admit that the movie has mediocre elements, and some of them even admit that they're being lenient because they like the main cast.

Reviewers are always lenient when they like the main cast. That's part of what makes movies appealing!

Aren't things usually put into people's contracts where they can't talk negatively about a film for so & so years?

Yes, of course! She can't possibly be stating her own opinion here, because you've decided the movie must suck.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:26 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Reviewers are always lenient when they like the main cast. That's part of what makes movies appealing!

Yes, of course! She can't possibly be stating her own opinion here, because you've decided the movie must suck.

I find it funny how I made that post to have a legitimate conversation, yet you respond with a such shitty attitude.

Plenty of reviewers trash movies with casts they like. And I brought up a point while also acknowledging that her feelings could be true. But we all know Hollywood can be scumbags, and to act like that kind of behavior is beneath Hollywood is laughable. Yet you come in with this obnoxious attitude that's almost as though you're mocking me.

and it's funny how you assume I already made my decision on whether the movie is shit or not. There's a difference between thinking a movie looks like shit and actually being shit. And it should be obvious, I don't particular care for remakes in general, and I've especially grown tired of the influx. I mean, they're remaking Witchfinder General for crying out loud. And it's hard to escape all these conversations of remakes because they're everywhere.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:20 am

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:I find it funny how I made that post to have a legitimate conversation, yet you respond with a such shitty attitude.

Don't you think it's kind of shitty to suggest someone's lying about a movie they've appeared in rather than giving an honest opinion? Because, well, that's what you're suggesting here. If she didn't like the film she could just keep quiet about it, which is what most actors do when they're not impressed with a project. Why lie about it when she doesn't have to? It's getting plenty of positive reviews so it's not like it needs the buzz.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:40 am

^ I agree. Just look at Harrison Ford's interviews for Indy 4 abd how nonspecific they were. Most of them were all like "It was cool to wear the hat and hold the whip again and stuff," with no actual opinion spoken about the movie itself.

Return to “Film and Video”