Hardcore Henry

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: Hardcore Henry

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:16 am

Just got home from seeing this. As one would expect, this film is not for those who dislike shaky cam, although it does it much better than most found footage films, and luckily it's a relatively short film. It's a high-paced, rollercoaster ride featuring some of the heaviest violence I've seen in a movie ever, and it does a really great job at capturing the FPS feel, highly reminiscent of video games like Half-Life or Call of Duty. While the plot was nothing special in particular, there was a twist or two, as well as a few sci-fi concepts that I thought were brilliantly executed. One thing I certainly wasn't expecting from this film was the humor, which there was plenty of, and it worked very well to the film's advantage.

Alright, and now for a few spoilers:
SPOILER: Show
The kid in the first shot of the film is the one from Zoolander 2. That's all I could think of, lol.

Jimmy is easily the most enjoyable part of the film. He's charismatic, funny, and the actor playing him is incredibly versatile. When he first died, I was disappointed because I wanted to see more of him, but then he kept coming back and kept dying. He remains a mysterious, comic relief until you realize how closely tied to the plot he is, and then you really start to feel for him. I thought the idea of a wheelchair bound scientist that creates multiple biological avatars for himself was extremely clever, and I enjoyed every minute he was on screen.

I totally called it when I said the wife would pull a Total Recall and reveal herself to be working for the bad guys all along. It works for the film, and she gets what's coming to her.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:40 pm

This movie looks pretty nauseating, in the most literal physical sense. Outside of the first-person gimmick (I don't think I've ever seen a first-person camera in cinema that didn't feel like a gimmick) it just seems like one of those Jason Statham movies, only more British.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:44 am

The film is actually pretty clever in that it functions both as a loving satire of your standard video game narratives as well as a straight-up mindless stunt rollercoaster.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:42 pm

Isn't doing well at the box office.
Yet is the exact type of film that will be pirated by MILLIONS of entitled young men in a few months who will say they love it & then make flawed provocations that piracy doesn't affect the movie industry or those involved.
Blergh.

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:34 pm

Just got back from it and absolutely loved it. The "Crank in first person" description is pretty accurate. I agree with you Sachi, Jimmy was definitely the highlight of the movie.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Return to “Film and Video”