Jurassic World

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:43 pm

^^

Well put. Very well put. I think there's something also about this death that stands out from the others ones in the movie, and you can actually take the gender of the victim out of it. It's just over the top compared to how everyone else dies.

Being eaten alive is pretty awful, overall, but there's an almost quick and cartoonish element to it (as is typical for most Jurassic whatever movies), that, while horrific, is still pretty rapid. I mean, think about that poor guy that gets chomped by the T-rex in Lost World: just some random guy, walking down the street, and he gets eaten. It's a crummy way to go, but it took up maybe five seconds of screen time.

Most of the death in Jurassic Park is to the point: this person is attacked by a dinosaur, there's screaming...we get it. We know. Dying by being eaten. It's awful, and it's a hallmark of Spielberg's (he set it up in Jaws: I think the longest death was the first one where the girl gets eaten, and it was effective because it didn't take very long, the dread and terror of the moment was immediate, and we didn't see it happen, which somehow made it MORE horrifying).

The death with Zara (I found the name on TVTropes, so I'm assuming it's correct?) was pretty drawn out compared to other deaths in Jurassic Park. It took a long time to happen, and I would peg it as one of those karmic deaths for one of the villains with a movie like this. The sort of thing that happens to that one greasy sonofabitch that's been trying to feed orphans to the carnivores for some reason. With the assistant? It didn't fit. It was jarring. And it was sadistic in comparison to what you normally see in Jurassic Park.
Last edited by Gob Hobblin on Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:49 pm

I knew the mosasaur would jump out of the water and nab somebody from the first scene where it appeared but I did not see that coming.

Also, how did a prehistoric mosquito bite an aquatic animal?

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:52 pm

Tenacity.

Frankly, the whole thing kind of makes me want to write a fix fic where Owen and Zara hook up, though that also stems from the fact that I think two people who have no interactions otherwise would have more believable chemistry than Owen and Claire.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:58 pm

If you gave Zara more screentime and reduced Claire's role and made the actual act of eating a bit less sadistic, it would actually make sense to switch their places now that I think about it.

I mean... on some level I respect them for not making the vaguely Indian billionaire closer to the earth and a squeaky clean character or some shit, but if you look at it objectively everything bad that happens in this movie is Asian people's fault which is kind a weird. I mean, they took the obvious villain (Claire) and basically made her completely unaware of the shenanigans going on with military dinosaurs and shit, it was all the greedy Indian billionaire, sinister fat military guy and the Asian scientist who wears an evil turtleneck now when he really should know better.

Wow... I don't like this movie anymore.

Edit... now that I think about it, why is there a subplot where the older boy is trying to cheat on his girlfriend at Jurassic World? What's up with that? Isn't he like 14? What's he going to do, sext them?

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:04 pm

It was REALLY weird that they made Dr. Wu so villainous.

I mean, when you see him in the first film, is there any indication that he's a mad scientist? He looks detached, and all, but you kind of get the sense that he's aware that they're doing things that might be questionable. Like, when Dr. Grant asks him if they're breeding raptors, he has that moment when he reads Dr. Grant's tone, and acknowledges it with something like guilt.

Before that, though, he's this guy who's so damned please he made a DINOSAUR, and who wouldn't be? He had a right to be happy! Doesn't matter if he was just growing acid-spitting murder rexes...it's a DINOSAUR. Give that man a gold star and all the Nobel Prizes!
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:06 pm

The whole point of Wu in the book is that he's detached, he's more interested in the procedure, and the whole thing is just a job for him. He doesn't bother to learn the dinosaurs' names.

In the first movie he's really just a bit character so they don't have Arnold as the only scientist on the island, but even so yeah, it's kinda dumb that they set him up as a villainous character... who really just does the same thing and rattle off exposition in a conversation between two characters who both already know everything they're talking about.

Yeesh.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:09 pm

That's it.

I'm writing it. I'm writing the damned fix fic.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:11 pm

Make it so Zara and Star Lord have babies and call the fic Star Lord and the Raptor Squad.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:25 pm

You mean Zoo Lord? Lord of the Zoo?

:tongue:

That's tempting, though. I like that.

"There's one other name you might know me by....Raptor Lord."

"...Really? You do this, you call yourself Raptor Lord."

"Well, I don't...I don't call MYSELF that, but I am known by it."

"He does this all the time, ma'am. All the time."

"Don't say it like that, Barry, you make me sound creepy."
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:29 pm

It sounds like a great plan. I'm excited to be a part of it. Let's do it.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:38 pm

It's happening. It'll be happenated.

"Hooked On A Feeling. Blue Swede. Conveniently, Blue's favorite song. Ain't that right, Blue? Blue?...Blue! Stop chewing on the fence! Stop it! Stop...what'd I say? Don't act like you didn't hear me! You...yeah, there's the guilty look. You know what you did."
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:19 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I'm not going to take the bait and tell you why Iron Man III is a masterpiece again.

Oh, I've got nothing against IM3. It's just... Ant Man? Really? And they kicked Edger Wright off of that film? Guardians wasn't all that notable either, despite it being the most different out of the whole franchise. And people kept overhyping Avengers 2 after they'd already seen it, despite its very, very crappy-looking opening. (Ultron's death scene was pretty legit, though. I think that was the best part of the whole movie.)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:57 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Oh, I've got nothing against IM3. It's just... Ant Man? Really? And they kicked Edger Wright off of that film? Guardians wasn't all that notable either, despite it being the most different out of the whole franchise. And people kept overhyping Avengers 2 after they'd already seen it, despite its very, very crappy-looking opening. (Ultron's death scene was pretty legit, though. I think that was the best part of the whole movie.)

I enjoyed it when I saw it, but two weeks later I saw Fury Road and was like "damn, I'm glad I saw A2 first, because otherwise I would have hated it."
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:10 am

I need to get around to doing a full analysis of Avengers 2, because there's a lot there.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:16 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8tmJbaFuYM

"The most expensive original Syfy movie ever made" is a pretty good way to describe Jurassic World.

Chuckman wrote:Also, how did a prehistoric mosquito bite an aquatic animal?

A Mosasaur probably got stranded on a beach, like whales do nowadays.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:21 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:That's it.

I'm writing it. I'm writing the damned fix fic.

If it turns anything like parasite eve in escape from new york I'm going to fund the movie...with biscuits

"Jusarric 'ngelion"

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:57 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I need to get around to doing a full analysis of Avengers 2, because there's a lot there.

There is. I don't want to say it's a bad movie, because it isn't. There were just a lot of little things that rubbed me the wrong way. The opening scene didn't even look finished as far as visual effects go. It made me wonder if they had to replace or redo that scene last minute and had to rush the CGI stuff as a result.

As far as the writing went, I thought I was clever in noticing that Ultron tends to have the same attitude as Tony Stark, until Whedon suddenly felt like overtly explaining that to us. You know, in case we weren't smart enough to pick up on that or something.

Everything else was alright, but didn't impress me that much. The Hulk was cool as always, and I liked Banner's relationship with Tony Stark and all. There was a lot of character development with Hawkeye that didn't really go anywhere, but I didn't mind that so much. I really didn't care one way or the other about the twins in that movie, but I guess they were nice too.

I really, really liked Vision, though. That character was the best part of the whole movie. I liked how it was Vision, and not a main character, that defeated Ultron. I liked how quiet that scene was. If there was anything that stood above the rest of the Marvel movies thus far, it was Ultron quietly being defeated by Vision.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:18 pm

That's another one of my problems with Whedon. He thinks he's smarter than me. He puts the cues in for himself then feels he has to explain them to the audience because we're too dumb to get it because he's so smart and subtle.

Edit: I can't self reply so

I rewatched JW last night.

One thing that hit me and struck me as odd is that the film establishes a parallel between Zach, the older kid, and the father. Presumably the father cheated on the mother; Zach has a blonde girlfriend like his dad has a blonde wife and spends the whole movie (lamely) trying to cheat on her.

I really have no idea what that means or why they made it so prominent.

Also on a rewatch, Zara's death is even worse than I remember. The flying thingies basically torture her for a solid minute, maul her, and then the mosasaur swalowes her whole and, presumably, alive.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:50 am

J.F. Sargent over on Cracked had an amusing article on how Jurassic World basically killed its potential hero.

Zara wasn't the hero we needed, but she was the hero we deserved!
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Iuvenal » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:59 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:One thing that hit me and struck me as odd is that the film establishes a parallel between Zach, the older kid, and the father. Presumably the father cheated on the mother; Zach has a blonde girlfriend like his dad has a blonde wife and spends the whole movie (lamely) trying to cheat on her.

I really have no idea what that means or why they made it so prominent.

They did it to make sure the audience knew they were watching an imitation of a Spielberg movie.
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

Return to “Film and Video”