Interstellar

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:31 am

The point. You're bringing math into a discussion of a film's artistic merit. Granted, Nuke set this up with his question, but...why take it this far? I don't even know what you're arguing about anymore.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:13 am

Math wasn't the point.
Last edited by Sorrow on Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:56 am

:coffee:

....so love as a force of energy! What's, eh...what's up with that?
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:32 pm

I'll admit that it felt a little cheesy to me when I got out of the film and I thought back on it. Love as a force seemed a little dumb-- granted, it didn't seem as dumb when I was in the theater because I was so enraptured-- but I'd be lying if it didn't break my suspense of disbelief a little bit. However, having thought about it, it does make a little more sense and stops being totally dumb.

Fifth dimensional physics time! When Cooper is in the fifth-dimensional space (which, by the way, he is interacting with in a fourth-dimensional manner, in a three-dimensional representation of the space), and they talk about love being a force, it makes sense if you think about it as him knowing how to find his daughter. Strip the word "love" away from all of it for a second. In this context, the gist of it is that Cooper knows exactly who he's looking for. He can tap into all his memories of his daughter, all the time he spent with her, and find her in that point in history at that exact moment in time. In Fifth dimensional space, everything that has ever happened or will happen is happening around you at the same time, and Cooper needs to be able to find his daughter through all of this. That's the whole point of this "love as a force" line, I think-- being able to find somebody.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:38 pm

Nolan's a filmmaker with flaws, but they're flaws that I've noticed we tend to be a little harder on him for than other filmmakers with greater clout who have done some similar dumb shit in otherwise praiseworthy work. I mean, if we're gonna get on Nolan's case for writing moments of dumb, eye-roll-inducing, on-the-nose bullshit, then what's stopped us from flat-out shooting Steven Spielberg or Michael Mann into the sun? Spielberg's taken dialogue advice from George "Only The Master Of Evil, Darth" Lucas, for chrissakes.

Nolan for me is a filmmaker who, at his best, can get you to excuse all that aforementioned dumb shit through his skill at creating atmosphere and sheer high-impact-anal-devastating narrative momentum. So when Interstellar worked for me it really worked, and I have to say I think it's one of Nolan's better movies in spite of all the dumb, on-the-nose, sentimental shit that I angrily chafed against with all of my being.

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TomasJC » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:18 am

I was a little worried going to watch this. It was late 2014, I hadn't had very good experiences watching Sci-fi films at the cinema before, and I freakin' hate Matthew McConaughay as an actor. However, it has been a long time since I've come out of the movies feeling like a wide-eyed and overexcited kid. I don't really care about some of the flaws that are spotting up, it was a movie that I could sink my teeth into that wasn't the usual blockbuster crap full of explosions and over-cliched writing (well, it was a little cliched). Hell, even the allusions to Kubrick were neat. The silent passages were quite breathtaking (I haven't seen Gravity so I'm not sure how similar it is in atmosphere) and the organ chords (although sounding very similar to Also Sprach Zarathustra) were a nice idea of soundtrack, as opposed to complete silence or a John Williams-esque score. What I love most was that they used models considerably throughout the film over CGI; as a kid who grew up on older films that used those techniques that many consider now primitive it was, well, kick-ass!
If you're into stylized and entertaining films, no matter the side dish of ham and cheese, then you'll probably like it.
"That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument!" -Jim Steinman
"When I was growing up, there were two things that were unpopular in my house. One was me, and the other was my guitar." -Bruce Springsteen
"Alcohol is humanity's friend... Can I abandon a friend?" -Yang Wen-li
"...See you on the Dark Side Of The Moon~"

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:42 am

Nolan's biggest mistake was simply inviting the hyper criticisms of DC Comic fan-boys to his movies. If he had never done his Batman Trilogy, I can almost garuntee we wouldn't be having a discussion this intense about his directorial abilities.

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TomasJC » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:02 pm

I agree. Sadly, it's a plague which attacks directors who dedicate themselves to expansive works (like Peter Jackson, whatever he directs next will probably get a similar reception). Already franchised material always comes with a fan base; if you do a good job with it (like Nolan did with Batman) then of course that fandom will be watching to see the next thing (whether they like it or not).

Hey, if the guy can make McCanaughey become an actually interesting character, then I've got no problem!
"When I was growing up, there were two things that were unpopular in my house. One was me, and the other was my guitar." -Bruce Springsteen

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:04 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Nolan's biggest mistake was simply inviting the hyper criticisms of DC Comic fan-boys to his movies. If he had never done his Batman Trilogy, I can almost garuntee we wouldn't be having a discussion this intense about his directorial abilities.

The first one was good, the second was a fitting conclusion to his take on the character and the third is a thinly veiled insult that rubs a comparison between the film itself and the 60's movie in the audience's face.

I don't blame him so much as the insistence that everything be a trilogy even if that structure is not warranted, though I suspect if TDKR were made now it would be Part 1 and Part 2.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:44 pm

Batman Begins is shit.

The Dark Knight is a masterpiece.

The Dark Knight Rises is Nolan finally giving in & making a dumb comic book movie but having great amounts of fun while doing so.

... i really can't fathom why people like Batman Begins. It's his worst movie by a large margin.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:56 pm

No, Rises is worse. Begins has some respect for the character and there are some very inventive things in it. I particularly enjoyed the way the docks scene was shot, very reminiscent of a slasher movie. The Tumbler was cool. The romantic subplot... eh. It was unnecessary and forced and I'd rather they'd had Catwoman as a constant in all three films, as again, her arc became forced in Rises. The main theme of Rises seemed to be 'deconstructing' heroes and villains in a very rushed, superficial way.

I think the movie would be a lot more ballsy if they'd dropped the Ra's al Ghul connection and played Bane the way he was in the marketing materials, as an actual champion of a working class revolution with some ambiguity. Instead the movie reads as incapable of deciding whether fascism is really cool or if it's another thing that comic nerds are dumb for liking, like capes and big buff dudes.

All in all, though, Burton's Batman Returns is the best Batman movie yet made.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:02 pm

Batman Returns is the best live action Batman film, I can agree with you there.

I personally get more enjoyment out of Rises which while beyond flawed has more highs, spectacle & just an overall better sense of fun than Begins. Begins just bores me cause it spends 100 minutes pushing it's shallow "This isn't a comic book movie, this is super serious" agenda before it ditches all that in the last half hour so extremely dumb comic book hijinks can happen in the third act.

Doesn't help that the film is visually ugly. Close-up, handheld camerawork as Batman in an all black costume fighting ninjas decked out in all black in a dark fog at night against an overall color scheme I call "Diarrhea Mud" is not my idea of a fun time at the movies.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:05 pm

I like the action scenes in Begins. It benefits from the shark effect. By putting Bale in a stiff, inflexible suit that looks stupid when viewed full on in bright light, the film is forced to hide him. Batman should hide, work from the shadows, be a ninja.

It's funny that people call Begins realistic or concerned with realism when it's adapted from Frank "WHORES" Miller's take on the character's origins. At least they decided to pick implied bisexual Catwoman or prostitute Catwoman and not make her both in the finale.
the prophecy is true

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:45 pm

View Original PostTomasJC wrote:I freakin' hate Matthew McConaughay as an actor.

Someone hasn't watched True Detective or Dallas Buyer Club yet.

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Batman Begins is shit.

But it is comparatively a masterstroke coming after Batman & Robin.

Returns came out when I was two and freaked me out when I saw it at a friends house for the first time when I was around 5, so much so that I didn't try watching it again until I was in my teens. I can't help seeing it more as a Tim Burton film than a Batman film.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:09 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:I can't help seeing it more as a Tim Burton film than a Batman film.

Seeing as how DC Comics has had Batman be everything from slowly turning into an actual bat to being a pirate or cowboy in comics as recently as the 80’s or 90's, the idea of Batman having any real, single-minded branding is-... well, he doesn’t have one is what I’m saying. In that sense having Tim Burton come in and give his own distinct edge to the mythos is just as much (sanely) “Batman” as anything DC Comics has presented in their long history of presenting Batman lore.

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TomasJC » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:12 am

Someone hasn't watched True Detective or Dallas Buyer Club yet.

Yeah, I have yet to see Dallas Buyer's Club. But he just gets on my nerves for some reason. Everyone has one of those actors/actresses, there's just something I don't like about him. It is good, however, to see that he is getting better (perhaps he just wasn't in the right roles when I seen him?)

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sun May 24, 2015 9:09 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:... i really can't fathom why people like Batman Begins. It's his worst movie by a large margin.

That's a weird way to spell Insomnia

Return to “Film and Video”