Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Last Movie You Watched

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:07 am

Flyboys (2006):
James Franco stars in a hokey Shonen Jump version of WW1. I think he's got too contemporary of a face for the role, but the film was a lot of fun. Bonus points for a very literal application of Chekhov's gun.

Body of Water (2011):
Does this count as deconstructing folk horror?
SPOILER: Show
I'm sure this particular twist has been done before, but I have to admire a film that takes an axe to the fundamental folk horror notion of a creepy backwoods village. The villagers are surly and unsociable, yes, but that's all they are, and all the culty supernatural stuff stems from the protagonist's unraveling mind as her suppressed childhood traumas start bubbling up.

The movie actually brought to my mind this question I once read in some comment thread that was about predictability in religious horror films: Has there ever been a demon possession movie where it turns out the suspected possessed person was, in fact, not possessed after all? I think only one example was mentioned in the thread, and it was some obscure European thing.

The Room (2019):

This one reminded me of The Purge, in that both are horror films with incredibly thought-provoking set-ups that disappointingly devolve into by-the-numbers genre exercises. Somehow we only got a fairly standard home invasion film out of all the rich possibilities offered by the concept of the Purge Night, and in The Room's case, the set-up is equally tantalizing. A young artist couple moves into a big old house in upstate New York, where they quickly find out that their new home comes equipped with a techno-magical room that can materialize out of thin air seemingly anything they can dream up. The only catch is that the conjured objects cannot be taken outside of the house because when past the threshold, they become subject to super-rapid aging and soon turn into dust.

This discovery is followed, as one would expect, by a period of hedonistic experimentation, but you'd think a pair of decently smart people would eventually graduate into bigger things like, you know, discreetly making the world a better place. We may argue how much of a villain Light Yagami was, but at least he used his magic item to its fullest extent. The magic room's physical creations must stay within the confines of the house, sure, but there seems to be no information filter, and you could do a lot with just information. For example, ask for some Mr. Fusion blueprints, scan or photograph them inside the house (using non-magically created equipment to be sure) and have the info anonymously mailed to leading energy scientists. Sadly, nothing that clever ever happens. Instead,

SPOILER: Show
the couple is childless due to medical reasons, so the wife conjures up a homunculus baby, and it's a generic evil child film from that point onwards.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu May 14, 2020 5:56 am

Crawl (2019)
- Great overall.
- Kaya Scodelario & the actor playing her father give great, intense performances.
- Effects appeared to be entirely CGI as far as I can tell and for the most part they were damn good.
- Only complaints (1) [what the dad is able to do after loosing his arm broke suspension of disbelief a bit] and (2) The gator not being able to smash through the shower door glass.
- Music is good.
- Deaths are really brutal especially the female looter.
- Tone is just right, not nearly as outlandish or silly as the same director's Piranha remake (or it's vulgar ugly sequel), Crawl is much more grounded and personal.

I would say it's the 3rd or 4th best killer animal movie I have seen after Jaws. Ranking them...

Jaws (1975)
gap
Rogue (2007)
Crawl (2019)
Primeval (2007) [need to re-watch and see if it's better than crawl]
gap
Komodo (1999)

Life (2017)
- Good overall.
- Whole cast does a great job. Ariyon Bakare especially, his despair when he realizes the seemingly innocent creature he has fallen in scientific love with is going to break every bone in his hand is tragic and palpable.
- I am a fan of Hiroyuki Sanada (the last samurai, the wolverine) and was pleased at the amount of screentime he got.
- Alien's design starts fairly generic and becomes more interesting as the film progresses. It thankfully wasn't a Xenomorph clone despite the overall film's similarity to that franchise. It has a kinda unknowable genuinely unnerving quality to it despite it not being all that big or imposing.
- Film has a bit of bleakness that isn't for everyone, didn't particularly like the ending.
- I would like a sequel picking up close to where this one left off although I am not sure the creature would be as effective when it can't creepily float around like it does in a spaceship.
Last edited by movieartman on Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed May 27, 2020 1:11 pm

^ I saw Crawl for the first time last night and I too was definitely impressed in every sense of the word. The bond between the daughter and her father during this difficult time of natural disaster combined with killer creatures held up well.

Myself who is a fan of Alexandre Aja's hardcore horror entries like High Tension, The Hills Have Eyes, even the fun Piranha 3D would happily add this one to repeat viewings on the double.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:45 pm

I watched the Sonic the Hedgehog movie. In fact, I bought it on the limited edition 4K Blu-ray set that came with the sprite comic book for the sole purpose of cringing at it. (I needed a reason to feel something other than dread from current events and all and I have a slight fascination of unaware cringe art.)

I unironically enjoyed the movie. All of it.

Don't ask me my opinion of movies anymore. I objectively have garbage tastes.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:48 pm

With the right mind set, most things can be great lol.
I feel like maybe I should watch the movie at some point.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:07 pm

^ True, but....

Okay, so the film is totally a by-the-numbers family movie in the exact same sub-genre of films as the Smurf movies and Hop. There's nothing special about it. The characters are one-dimensional, the gimmick character (Sonic) is sufficiently gimmicky, the story is very basic, and Jim Carry is Jim Carry.

Not gonna lie. It was nice to see Jim Carry. But that's not even the aspect of the film I keep returning to. Like, he wasn't bad, but he wasn't the tipping point to me liking the movie. In fact, I still don't know why I like the movie. Maybe it was the nostalgic factor, but I didn't feel nostalgia for Sonic himself. I wasn't introduced to Sonic through the video games, I never played any of the 3-D Sonic games outside of Sonic Heroes, and that game was hot garbage, but, rather, I was introduced to Sonic in the 1993 animated series Sonic the Hedgehog (known colloquially online as SatAM Sonic), which had a darker tone to it, painting Sonic as part of a resistance of Freedom Fighters trying to overthrow Dr. Robotnik's empire. The series struck a completely different tone from what the rest of the Sonic franchise was destined to become, so it's not surprising that the live-action movie didn't contain any of those SatAM Sonic elements in it. Rather, the type of nostalgia I felt was watching a family-oriented film as an adult, something I hadn't done outside of the more critically acclaimed movies since I was a teenager. I had a ton of younger brothers and sisters, so family-films ended up being part of my main film palate for longer than it probably should have. It was that feeling of watching a kids' movie as someone outside of its target demographic that reminded me of my past like that, and the fact that the movie was one of the better examples of its sub-genre painted the memories as being more pleasant than I actually remember the experience being.

So, yeah. Sonic the Hedgehog. I can't recommend it per sé, but I can tell you that it's a kinda fun movie if you're in the mood.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:44 am

Rather, the type of nostalgia I felt was watching a family-oriented film as an adult, something I hadn't done outside of the more critically acclaimed movies since I was a teenager.

Yeah, I had this thought too. I rolled my eyes at a lot of the trailer, but the truth is I haven't seen a film like this in forever, so it could be nostalgic. And it being this rarity in a way, and a "videogame movie" might make it a candidate to watch it with some friends too.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:44 pm

^ Best film adaptation of a video game is Rampage, hands down. It incorporates all of the mechanics of the gameplay in a way that's suitable for film and doesn't make for a bad kanji flick either.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:56 pm

Obligatory mention of Battleship, although how far that counts as an adaptation of a video game is... debatable
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:20 pm

^Wasn't that the movie were four guys carried a 2700 pound super heavy 16 inch capped armor piercing shell by hand to fire one of the main guns of their battleship? Forgot whether it was Iowa or Missouri.

Last movie I watched was "The Search for Mr. Spock". Man, I miss old Star Trek. Where nothing much happens and in the end, there's some uplifting notion. I wonder if we will ever have such a show again. The Orville came close (minus the crude jokes I could do without since they aren't funny), but it at least captured that feeling somewhat. I honestly don't know why people like to bash Shatner & Co's acting chops. Overacted it may be at points, but at least there's real emotion there, real character. The crew welcoming Spock back at the end, for example, or when they watch the Enterprise burn up in the athmosphere. Good times.

But maybe I'm strange in that department; I thought Genocyber of all things handles facial expressions and emotions really well, so ...
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:47 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:^ Best film adaptation of a video game is Rampage, hands down. It incorporates all of the mechanics of the gameplay in a way that's suitable for film and doesn't make for a bad kanji flick either.

I might check it out. The Rock is always fun to watch lol.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:14 pm

View Original PostDerantor wrote:^Wasn't that the movie were four guys carried a 2700 pound super heavy 16 inch capped armor piercing shell by hand to fire one of the main guns of their battleship? Forgot whether it was Iowa or Missouri.

I think it was six guys, but yeah :P
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:45 pm

Speed 2: Cruise Control

Obviously no sequel to Speed will outrank it but I don't hate it as much as others do. To me, it's more of a guilty pleasure if anything. The big elephant in the room that everybody can't let go is no Keanu and while Jason Patric is no Keanu, he does a good job with what he's given. Willem Dafoe is the master of the psycho eyes and boy does he let them show whenever he can.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:51 pm

I watched Herr Oberst haben eine Macke the other night with a friend; an Italian comedy from the 70s dubbed in German; well, at least just under half of it, before we had to call it quits because it was getting late and we couldn't justify laughing this much at such a late hour; it's not available in English, but I still highly recommend you give it a watch, since most of the gags are the kind of jokes that would also work in a silent movie.
Had trouble breathing in a few scenes from all the laughter.

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:13 pm

^Ouh, that sounds exactly like what I need right now.

(Also, from one German to another, not being able to "justify" laughing is about the most German thing I can think of :D "No fun if it is against ze rules!")
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:05 am

View Original PostDerantor wrote:(Also, from one German to another, not being able to "justify" laughing is about the most German thing I can think of :D "No fun if it is against ze rules!")

Hahahahaha yeah xD

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:13 pm

I watched The Cannonball Run with a friend earlier today; it's in a weird place where I didn't find any of the jokes particularily funny, but the whole package in the middle section made me laugh out loud quite a few times regardless.

Also, despite it basing almost its entire humor in stereotypes, it has somehow aged really well, none of it feels malicious, with a lot of it being quite endearing in its own, crude way; not an easy thing to pull off, but this movie somehow did it

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:01 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Crawl (2019)
- Great overall.
- Kaya Scodelario & the actor playing her father give great, intense performances.
- Effects appeared to be entirely CGI as far as I can tell and for the most part they were damn good.
- Only complaints (1) [what the dad is able to do after loosing his arm broke suspension of disbelief a bit] and (2) The gator not being able to smash through the shower door glass.
- Music is good.
- Deaths are really brutal especially the female looter.
- Tone is just right, not nearly as outlandish or silly as the same director's Piranha remake (or it's vulgar ugly sequel), Crawl is much more grounded and personal.

I would say it's the 3rd or 4th best killer animal movie I have seen after Jaws. Ranking them...

I saw this to recently and I really loved it, I loved how grounded it is and how fresh it feels as giant crocodile/alligator films have been in kind of cheap b movie phase as of late so this feels like a really nice way to bring it out of the lull. I also thought the shots of the alligator swimming underwater really captures why they're terrifying along with the striking just below water where you can't see them as its clear they did their research on how these reptile's attacks you. The CGI is also really nice and doesn't feel rushed or cheap.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:55 am

I finally got to watch 'Doctor Sleep', and ended up pretty disappointed in it. Did anyone else feel this way? I really wanted to like it too, I just couldn't get into it.

EDIT
Honestly not that I wasn't into it. I just thought the villains of the film didn't come off as threatening or scary. Maybe the movie didn't do the novel justice in that regard?
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:23 am

Wagons East (1994): Inside this mostly unfunny nineties western comedy (that killed John Candy) is an absolutely pitch-dark wokesploitation comedy that wants out. This should be remade. John C. McGinley steals the show as a gay stereotype so over the top it's actually amazing. Happy Valentine's day!

French Connection II (1975): Basically a miracle. Has there ever been a pointless sequel so good? This is quite literally a fan-fic continuation to a true-crime story, made by a different director and with only two of the actors reprising their roles. Luckily the new director was John Frankenheimer, and those two actors play the main good guy and the main bad guy respectively, so the core setup is intact. Instead of cold and bleak New York griminess this time it's all about hot and sweaty Marseilles griminess.

Return to “Film and Video”