Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:45 pm

Finished HOOP DREAMS. No wonder this supposedly changed the atmosphere of documentaries: we have a slice of life gone by in the span of near-3 hours, and in the process, we learn about the relationship of sports and academics, racial expectations back in the 1990s, and the process of documentaries itself squashed down, in such a length, that exposed the virtues of Arthur and William. Lot of things to soak in, content wise and form wise, and it's an engaging one on both counts. Recommended.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:16 pm

Wondering if anyone has seen that new HBO movie "Nightingale"? It's pretty interesting, I saw it the night it came out on HBO Go, and watched it again recently. Entire movie is just this guy in his house, really good acting by David Oyelowo in order to pull off something like that.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:55 pm

Planning on watching all 26 of the Zatoichi films + the television series. So far I've watched the first two which were pretty enjoyable.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:49 pm

One of my favorite film series ever. Excellent films!
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:48 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:I'm watching this as I type, it is amazing, please watch and enjoy.

Kung Fury

YES

It's stylish and just delightfully juvenile in an actually pretty clever manner without being lazy offensive.

Great synthwave soundtrack, too.

Also it's only like 30 minutes so you could probably watch this over lunch or something.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:04 pm

Came back from JURASSIC WORLD.

James Rolfe said it best: "Dinosaurs are still cool."

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:21 pm

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:Planning on watching all 26 of the Zatoichi films + the television series. So far I've watched the first two which were pretty enjoyable.

You'll have to let me know which ones you like. I got the Criterion box set year before last and I actually have a list that ranks all 25 of the original movies if you're interested.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:10 am

Jurassic World in my neighborhood was sold out so I went to see Tomorrowland.

It's okay, it's fine, it's got a good message, but it's not really anything to write home about, I think I would have liked it a lot better if I was younger.

It was okay, but It could have been so much more given the concept.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:04 am

Saw 2 movies recently:

Calvary was for some reason under "comedies" on Netflix. Do not believe their lies. Whilst there are some funny moments, this movie is not a comedy. It's a very well executed- and very, very depressing- drama. Whilst it was undoubtedly a superb film, I didn't like it- not because of any flaws, but just because of how depressing it was.

Carry On Cowboy on the other hand was hilarious. Intentional-so-bad-it's-good, utterly ludicrous hilarious, but hilarious nonetheless.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:05 pm

Inside Out might be the best Pixar film ever made. Everything worked about it. I'm still in awe and shock coming out of it.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

A Robot with mensdom. BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:30 pm

Chappie. Lol'd at the PS4s. The Moose reminds me of Battletech mechs, but it's arsenal reminded me more of Armored Core 4.

Afrikaner gangsters and transhumanism. Now that's an off-the-wall mish-mash.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:25 pm

Big Hero 6: Fun times, man. Can't believe I waited this long to see it, but it was time well spent.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:24 am

INSIDE OUT is the best & most important Pixar movie ever made.

It's right up there with MAD MAX: FURY ROAD as not just the best movie of the year but one of the best movies released worldwide IN YEARS!

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:27 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:INSIDE OUT is the best & most important Pixar movie ever made.

Yes.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:19 am

I went to go see Inside Out with high expectations. I'd seen all the promotional videos at least twice, and was expecting a film that would be relatable, fun, and entertaining. I walked into that movie theater expecting that at the very least, if I didn't love the movie, I would thoroughly enjoy myself.

And my goodness, did I ever.

Inside Out is my favorite movie that I've seen this calendar year. This is Pixar making the kind of film that I've come to expect of them: funny, filled with things that you can relate to, intriguing, and just sad enough to tug at your chordae tendineae a little bit. It's brilliant eye candy as well, filled with vibrant colors, complex textures, and characters with enough depth to them that you could pick them apart for hours. If this is as far as you want to read, I'll spoil this post for you right now: go see Inside Out. It's a film worth watching, and certainly more than worth the price of admission (even if you're going to a fancy Arclight theater with Dolby Atmos® and everything, like what I did.) But for those of you that have the time to read this post... well, where do I begin!

The idea behind Inside Out is incredibly unique and inventive. The basic premise is as follows: What if we could see the little "voices" inside of our heads? This question is answered with the anthropomorphic five emotions that live inside the head of Riley Anderson, our 11-year old lead female main character. However, to call her the main character without mentioning her emotions is misleading-- for the entire movie, nobody gets more screentime than the emotions Joy, Sadness, Fear, Disgust, and Anger, with the most screentime going to Joy and Sadness. They are truly the main characters, and they are brought to life with some truly superb voice acting and character design. The bulk of the movie is watching Riley's emotions run around her brain, trying to make sure that things go as smoothly for her as possible, with Joy taking the lead and often crowding out other emotions to ensure Riley's happiness.

Riley's emotions are characters within their own rights. Their own emotions are not limited to the emotion they govern in Riley's brain: Sadness can be happy, for example, and Joy is capable of being sad. Of course, they are all driven by the emotion which is their namesake. Anger will always be predominantly angry, and Fear will always be generally afraid.

As far as plot goes, it's fairly simple. Riley and her family move from Minnesota to San Francisco, California, so that her father can begin working as a startup. It is this uprooting that sets the stage for the film's central conflict, when Sadness begins to lose control of her actions and begins affecting Riley's "core memories", which lend themselves to running certain aspects (called islands) of Riely's personality (honesty island, hockey island, and goofball island, for example.) When Sadness accidentally creates a sad core memory, Joy attempts to stop it from creating a new island and accidentally gets ejected from Riley's brain's control room along with Sadness and Riley's five other core memories. The rest of the film, on the surface, is a tale of Joy and Sadness's adventure to get back to the control center and the problems that arise when Riley is forced to make decisions while only being guided by Fear, Anger, and Disgust.

Note, however, that I said "on the surface."

Riley's emotions are presented to us as sentient characters, capable of making their own decisions. We even see the emotions of Riely's parents at one point and even inside animals, further lending itself to the idea that everybody has these sentient little beings inside their heads. However, while inventive and certainly interesting, looking at the film that way misses an aspect of the film that adds a dimension of poignancy that couldn't possibly be gleaned from watching trailers.

If Riley's emotions are making decisions for themselves and just piloting Riely, we're essentially watching Pixar's version of Animator Expo's I Can Friday By Day, with little characters inside our heads driving us around like a meat toy-- and yet, I rejected that interpretation of ICFBD, and I reject that interpretation of Inside Out.

SPOILER: Show
If you strip away all the scenes with emotions, the plot looks a bit like this: Riley's a happy kid. She gets uprooted from her life in Minnesota to move to a strange new place that isn't anything like what she imagined it would be and feels a little disappointed, but keeps herself happy and optimistic to try to love her new situation. However, cracks begin to show: she hesitates before doing things she previously enjoyed. She breaks into tears when talking about happy memories from back home, and no longer keeps them at the forefront of her consciousness to guide her. She can't keep up her happy facade and starts snapping at her parents and friends, before getting the idea to run away back home to where she was happy and running with this idea so far that she can't unseat it, going so far as to deaden her emotions until right before the point of no return when she snaps out of it and runs back home to her parents, where she expresses that she tried to stay happy despite her other emotions and finally lets her real emotions out, before accepting her feelings and becoming the same wonderful person we saw at the beginning of the movie.

Just look at that for a second. That's the driving plot of this movie. It's simple. It's not fantastical or outlandish. It's a real, relatable situation that many of us have doubtlessly felt at some point.

And with that view, the wonderful stories of Riely's emotions scurrying around inside her head are not about little sentient beings making their own decisions. They're not driving Riley: Riley is driving them, and the way we see them behave is simply a direct representation of the actions Riley is taking. The emotions aren't seperate things from Riley controlling Riley; they are Riley, and Riley is the sum of their parts. When Sadness starts behaving in an out-of-control fashion, something she's never done before, it's Riley struggling to keep sadness back but being unable. When Sadness accidentally starts coloring past memories in class, it's Riley being sad about the life she no longer has. When Sadness creates a core memory, it's a representation of Riley's first day at a new school and that sadness coloring it. When the control console in Riley's brain goes dead, it's Riley trying not to feel-- and when she breaks down to her parents about how she tried to be happy, it's the entire explanation for Joy's overbearing behavior throughout the movie and her attempts to make sure no other emotion creates negative memories for Riley.

Taking the movie at its face value is fine, but looking at it as simply a representation adds so much more to the characters, the activity inside Riley's brain, and the overall experience of the film.

And that's Inside Out. It's a beautiful film, from the different textures on each emotion to the very thoughts and emotions it evokes in the viewer. It's the kind of film you'll talk about with the people you saw it with, or with your friends when you get home. It's a story about happiness, sadness, and accepting your emotions for what they are. It's a film that lets you know that it's okay not to be happy all the time.

It's a wonderful film, and if you're going to ask me if you should watch it, my answer is an unequivocal YES.

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:15 am

Seven Pyschopaths

I can't believe this movie flew under my radar. An ensemble cast, great cinematography and lots of black humor. If I had seen this when it was released in 2012, it no doubt would have been my Movie of the Year.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:20 am

Two words. Christopher Walken.

Ieyasu
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Ieyasu » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:27 pm

Prehistoric Women

I knew there was probably a reason this one stayed at the bottom of the box set for 5 yrs, unwatched.
WHERE'S PAUL VERHOEVEN WHEN YOU NEED HIM

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:10 pm

Having just seen it, I second everything Nuke just said about Inside Out. Plus, it did something that movies and TV shows rarely do to me.

SPOILER: Show
Fucking Bing Bong's sacrifice, man.

"Take her to the moon for me!!!!!"
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Ieyasu
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Ieyasu » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:57 pm

Starship Troopers.

Ah, Paul Verhoeven, do I miss you and your squibs.

No way would they have the balls to make a movie like this anymore. :facepalm:
WHERE'S PAUL VERHOEVEN WHEN YOU NEED HIM

Return to “Film and Video”