Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:01 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Still my favorite of the three prequel films in the Star Wars saga. Anakin is better acted by the child than Hayden Christensen ever could hope to achieve and the lightsaber battles are well choreographed.

. . .and now you've called down the wrath of every Star Wars fan on the internet.

Yeah. . .Episode 2 is the worst of the Prequels. Episode one in retrospect is just an okay movie.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:01 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Anakin is better acted by the child than Hayden Christensen ever could hope to achieve and the lightsaber battles are well choreographed.

Any shit Jake Lloyd gets for his Anakin performance I immediately throw in the face of George Lucas. Sure, child actors are a bit more difficult to direct, but that's why rehearsals are so important even in film!

If anything Jake was the braver of the actors on that set, as he was the only one to risk showing an emotional "Yipee!" in the film, and bothered to interpret his line of the explosives in their heads the way he did. Everyone else was emotionless and flat, as though they were lost or something like that. Jake at least found his own in his performance and made it his own.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:38 pm

Episode I is the best of the prequels. It's still a piece of shit but you can tell it's 100% the piece of shit George Lucas wanted to tell.

Episodes II & III suffer greatly - thoguh they'd still be awful regardless - because Lucas goes out of his way to try & appease the fans. And he does it poorly.

Like Patton Oswalt's skit:
George - "Do you love Boba Fett?"
Patton - "Yeah, I love Boba Fett! With the blaster, the Slave I & Oh man I love him!"
George - "Well now you'll get to see him as a little kid!"
Patton - "..... Fuck you."

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:45 pm

The podrace in Episode I is also noteworthy. I loved the extended cut it got on the BluRay release which got passed on to the TV broadcasts from then on. Also, CGI Yoda can convey emotion better than that half assed puppet in the original cut could do.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:52 am

Episode I and Episode II are both equally wretched in my eyes, but it's been years since I've seen either of them. I might re-watch them some day just to see how my memory of them holds up.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:39 am

I do think there was a solid professional feel to the visuals in episode 1 that 2&3 lacked.
the opening with the jedi's ship docking inside one if tell trade ships that's a mix of cgi and props looks 80 times as realistic as the hyper green screen rooms in the next 2.
I don't recall any set or room in 1 that felt less than a real room other than maybe the gungan city. In 2&3 60% of the settings seemed glaringly fake.

I thought everything but the romance in 2 was reasonably solid.
Dooku was a damn good villain.
yeah Boba was just a boy but Jango was just as bad ass if not more so than boba in the original films if altho less mysterious.
Dooku's lightsabre battle was not the best but not bad ether.
The coloseum sequences where good.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:21 pm

I had something of a breakdown rewatching Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters. Recommend me something that will heal me.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:28 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:I had something of a breakdown rewatching Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters. Recommend me something that will heal me.

Chungking Express, Singin' In the Rain, The Shawshank Redemption, Disney/Pixar movies, and Casablanca have always been uplifting movies for me.
Movin' Right Along

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:31 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Casablanca...uplifting

Really wasn't expecting that.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:06 pm

So, here's what I'm doing this year:

So if you'd be interested in reading my super condensed thoughts on all the films I watch this year then give me a follow.

Also, I've got a few friends already doing the Manifesto with me, but I'd love if you'd guys want to join in too.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:12 pm

No! Fazmo! You wont be able to come back!

(We Really need another Ritsuko Emoticon)

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:35 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Really wasn't expecting that.

Why not? It's the story of a deeply cynical man who rediscovers his long lost idealism and is inspired to once again fight for what he believes in while sacrificing his own happiness for what's best for everyone. A triumph of human decency over the evils of the world. Hell, the film ends with Bogart and Raines walking away to commence presumably many adventures of fucking with the Nazis in North Africa. It's a damn uplifting movie precisely because it isn't all roses and happiness in the end.
Movin' Right Along

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:52 pm

I saw Scanners for the first time last night. Great fucking movie. The synth soundtrack was mesmerising and the story deals with some really interesting themes and subjects. I'm a sucker for telepathy or telekinesis. Although there are a few things that hold it back from being truly great, i.e. some awkward scenes in the later stages, Cronenberg going a bit too far with the whole syncing with computers beat and the actor who played the lead role is pretty dismal - even for someone who is supposed to be a complete basket case and social stunted he just comes across as incompetent. I see now that Beyond the Black Rainbow was influenced heavily by this film, too.

Recommend me something that will heal me.

Ghiblis perhaps; something like Ponyo or Totoro?

So, here's what I'm doing this year:

RIP Faz.

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:44 pm

I'm already 30 films in.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:53 pm

365 films in a year is doable. I remember watching about 180 films during one summer vacation (two and half months) back when I was in junior high. I also think Jimbo had a routine of watching more than one film per day on average and if I recall correctly, he sometimes watched even 20 films in a week.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:39 am

Jesus. These days I can barely force myself through more than 2 episodes of an anime per week, let alone a full length movie.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:43 am

It's doable, and probably the harder aspect of this is finding the films you want to watch and actually keep the pace. It looks like you're already ahead of your pace. A 1 film a day pace could actually be harder to keep up as opposed to taking a total over a year. Keeping the list is cool though.

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:21 pm

It's doable, yeah. I got close in 2012 with 343 watches, but that included movies I'd seen before and multiple views.
I've had the last 2 weeks off work so I've managed to get a bit of a surplus of views, just not sure how I'm going to go when I have to actually do other things. We'll see...
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:48 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:I had something of a breakdown rewatching Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters. Recommend me something that will heal me.
Tarkovsky's The Sacrifice will either uplift you or break what is left of you. :)

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:47 pm

Tonight, I'm seeing Michael Mann's new magnum opus/disappointing cinematic smoke puff Blackhat.

Why? Because MICHAEL MANN

Return to “Film and Video”