franchises that wouldnt work in live action

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

heavytread
Ramiel
Ramiel

franchises that wouldnt work in live action

•      
  •      

Postby heavytread » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:03 pm

Now a days it seems like everything is being adapted into a live action film often to be somewhat successful. However we all know somethings don't work very well Yogi Bear for instance really wasn't all that great (at least in my opinion).

What franchises, be they comic books, anime, video games, or cartoons do you think would not work in live action?

Personally based off some fan art I've seen pokemon would not work. *shudders*

Neither would evangelion without looking like a pill of dog sh*t

Sorry if this is in the wrong place or has already been made -o-;

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:13 pm

Dragonball.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:15 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Dragonball.

bingo! I was just going to say this myself

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:10 am

Neon Genesis Evangelion.

The amount of changes you'd need to make to the characters - i.e. the pilots can't be children just entering puberty thus meaning they have to be aged up to a point where Shinji & Asuka don't need to live with each other or Misato thus they don't have the same type of relationship present in the show thus so on & so on - would render it a completely different story.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:49 am

I think a more apt thread would be about anime properties that COULD work in live action. There must be fewer of them.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:27 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Neon Genesis Evangelion.

LegionWrex
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby LegionWrex » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:14 am

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:I think a more apt thread would be about anime properties that COULD work in live action. There must be fewer of them.

That thread wouldn't work because the only one that 100% can work in live-action is Cowboy Bebop. That anime is BEGGING to made into a live action movie.

Even Watanabe wants it made into live action.
"....Bang." -Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
"Shorty?!? Can a shorty do this?!?" -Edward Elric (FMA)
"I've had many lives, many faces. But there is one face I try to forget..." -The Doctor (Doctor Who)
"So say we all!" -Admiral Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
"The only impossible is impossibility!" -Phineas Flynn (Phineas and Ferb)
"Screw you guys, I'm going home!" -Eric Cartman (South Park)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:21 pm

View Original PostLegionWrex wrote:That thread wouldn't work because the only one that 100% can work in live-action is Cowboy Bebop.
The Mushishi movie was rather well done; I've not seen the Kaiji live action, but the impression I get is that that was considered acceptable. Wikipedia tells me that there's a Mouryou no Hako live action, and that could definitely work, being a psychological detective story set in 1952 and all.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:24 am

If there was any anime I could see being given a successful live adaptation it would be NOIR. I mean the show itself is basically an animated La Femme Nikita. I know Sam Raimi was working on a live action TV series at some point.

If there was any anime I could see easily moving to live action & not losing much of the magic that made it work, NOIR with it's fun gun play, musical numbers & sexuality is the way to go.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:00 am

I don't think Patch Adams would work as a live action film.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:33 pm

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:I don't think Patch Adams would work as a live action film.

Thread win.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:06 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Neon Genesis Evangelion.

The amount of changes you'd need to make to the characters - i.e. the pilots can't be children just entering puberty thus meaning they have to be aged up to a point where Shinji & Asuka don't need to live with each other or Misato thus they don't have the same type of relationship present in the show thus so on & so on - would render it a completely different story.

Forget all these practical reasons, Eva wouldn't work in live action because absolutely nothing about its visual language would survive the transition to live action in any recognizable form.

Other franchises that could not possibly work in live-action: Ranma 1/2. Apparently there were talks in the 90s for Hollywood to produce a live-action Ranma. Thankfully for absolutely everyone on earth, that didn't happen.

Actually most anime, or cartoons in general, would work terribly in live action, because animation is such a heavily stylized medium and all the animation that's good takes advantage of this. Not that there aren't some exceptions (not having seen the live-action movies that already exist, I can entirely imagine Death Note working as a live-action serial drama a la Breaking Bad).

(No one even mention that live action Fairly Odd Parents movie. That didn't happen.)

Now here's a more interesting question: what live-action movies could have benefitted from being animated instead? My first pick, and I dunno how weird this is, would be A Clockwork Orange. Every time I watch that film I can feel Kubrick's explosively surreal vision straining against the confines of the physical props, lighting and setpieces and yearning for the dreamlike fluidity, absolute stylization and capacity for flawless musical synchronization that it would find in a lavishly animated film. Of course, digital editing makes films with the visual stylization of animation more feasible today than they were in 1971, but it's not news by now that Kubrick was generations ahead of his time.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:08 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Forget all these practical reasons, Eva wouldn't work in live action because absolutely nothing about its visual language would survive the transition to live action in any recognizable form.

I guess that depends on what visual language we’re talking about. I personally noticed a lot of French New Wave (on-screen texts depicting dialogue, deconstruction of religious symbols, abbreviated long takes in Ep 15, ect.), German Expressionism (landscapes and set pieces designed to evoke tones and themes in Ep 10, dark shadow for Ep. 16, ext.), and French Impressionism (basically all of episodes 13, 20, 25, 26, and some of 16), in the TV series, all of which had originated from live-action films.

That being said, I really doubt any of those particular visual forms of language will be translated into live-action for the “sophisticated modern audience,” a term I swear is used by Hollywood only to make 3rd graders feel important as they watch mindless explosion after thoughtless action scene.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:19 am

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:No one even mention that live action Fairly Odd Parents movie.

Thanks for reminding me! :fistshake:

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:37 pm

I think RahXephon would work better than NGE as a live action series. It's got tighter plotting, less abstract direction, and a more typical protagonist. Hell, I even have some actors in mind (Nathan Fillion as Kunugi!).

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:56 pm

I feel the Transformers series doesn't work in live action but the box office grosses continue to prove me wrong.

Doublegee
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Doublegee » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:14 pm

Garfield.

Scooby-Doo.

Smurfs.

(surprisingly, the first Alvin and the Chipmunks was pretty good, and most of Chipwrecked was tolerable)

Hitch-hiker's Guide.

Starship troopers.

I heard that watchmen loses quite a bit in translation, though I'm not familiar with the source material.

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I feel the Transformers series doesn't work in live action

The problems with Bayformers have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it's live-action, and have everything to do with shitty writing, shitty robot designs, product placement, shitty writing, shakeycam close-ups, using Victoria's Secret underwear models instead of real actresses, and most importantly, shitty writing.

Seriously how the fuck do you get a Mountain Dew vending machine into a college dorm room?
Bob Dole doesn't have to take this kind of crap! Bob Dole is a cyborg!

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:25 pm

It may be nitpicking but what displeased me the most was how relationship between Mikaela and Sam was resolved. They spend two movies developing their relationship, solving their problems, saving each others asses and reafirming their love for each other.
Then Megan had a fighht with Bay and in T3 we get: "meh, they broke up".
:irked:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:43 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I feel the Transformers series doesn't work in live action but the box office grosses continue to prove me wrong.

The problem with them is that if you shift the focus off the human characters onto the Transformers themselves, it becomes a very expensive cartoon with live action backdrops and pyrotechnics. The TF movies are basically an extremely violent Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

They're also brilliant. Especially the third one, but they receive no credit because people would rather jump on the Michael Bay hate bandwagon that fails to realize that many of the things they bitch about actually come from Speilberg's influence as executive producer.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:04 pm

The first one works because of the Spielberg influence. The very pure-hearted "A boy & his first car" story keeps you involved throughout all the mindless explosions. Hell, the third one even works as a "Aliens destroy the world" adventure film. The second one though is a piece of shit in every way imagineable.

I also doubt Spielberg's influences included "Hey, add two Stepin Fetchit Transformers so we can laugh at 'jokes' like they can't read.". Nor do I feel Spielberg's influence is responsible for the rampant misogyny throughout the series which includes a one-off line explaining Megan Fox's disappearance from the 3rd flick after being the emotional drive in the first two as simply being "She was a bitch".

I'd also argue anything Zack Snyder has done post Dawn of the Dead remake doesn't work as live action but now I'm just trolling. If Snyder was an animator like Hiroyuki Imaishi he'd probably get a lot more respect.

Return to “Film and Video”