Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed May 14, 2014 7:04 pm

View Original Postheavytread wrote:Most notably Mako's last name of Mori being one letter different then Mari. :bigeyes:

How is that supposed to be a reference?

And also:

More in the Pacific Rim thread: http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/10916/Pacific-Rim/

heavytread
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby heavytread » Wed May 14, 2014 7:28 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:How is that supposed to be a reference?

Did I say reference? Sorry ment similarity.

And did I say they were intentional references on Guillermo Del Toro's part? :tongue:

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Wed May 14, 2014 9:55 pm

View Original Postheavytread wrote:Most notably Mako's last name of Mori being one letter different then Mari.

You do realize that Mori is the Japanese equivalent of Woods or Forest, right? It's a pretty common surname over there. Del Tora probably just picked it because Mako Mori has a nice ring to it.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed May 14, 2014 10:46 pm

Better than Mako Mankanshoku, I guess. :hahaha:

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Sat May 17, 2014 10:32 pm

Ponyo.

It's just so adorable, and a great way to cheer up. If you've not seen it, I highly recommend it - as with all of Miyazaki.

Now I want a life-size pop pop boat.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat May 17, 2014 11:46 pm

^
Here's a review for Ponyo that I found to be hilarious [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SriyS6qN1xY[/url]

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Rei IV » Sun May 18, 2014 10:57 am

Saw the new 2014 Godzilla film yesterday night and loved it! Aside from some issues with the characterization in the film, it was fucking awesome!

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun May 18, 2014 12:16 pm

I'm seeing Godzilla in about 20 minutes. I'll tell you guys what I thought of it when I get back.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Wed May 21, 2014 10:09 pm

Hi EGF I didn't die.

I showed my friend Chungking Express after her knowing me for like three years... I've spoken openly of how much I love this movie in the past. I don't know if I have anything new to say about it. But it's funny how if I show it to someone who doesn't know me, they tend to be like, "well, that was good but I'm not sure why it's your favorite" but anyone who has known me for a while totally gets it right away.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Thu May 22, 2014 7:23 am

Just got back from X-Men: Days of Future Past and it's frickin' awesome - easily the best of the franchise alongside X2. The set-up is a little clumsy but once the movie does get going there is absolutely no stopping it and it certainly doesn't pull any punches either. The best thing, though, is that it's not entirely a Wolverine centric film (he plays more of a plot device really). Instead, Charles Xavier [James McAvoy] and Mystique [Jennifer Lawrence] are the primary focus with one hell of a showing from Magneto [Michael Fassbender] too. I got goosebumps at least a dozen or so times and the action set-pieces are simply stunning and awe inducing. I thought the future setting was also particularly well done. Truly frightening stuff.

SPOILER: Show
Have to say, the entire cinema was filled with gasps of delight at Quicksilver's scene. He definitely steals the show. I'm sure Whedon's going to have to bust his balls especially hard now to try and top that with his version of the character in Age of Ultron, especially after the whole rights debacle between the studios.

:lol:

Oh, I "squee'd" at the ending as well. Couldn't help myself.
Flick is pure fan-service. Kudos to Bryan Singer.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu May 22, 2014 10:14 am

Spoilers for The new X-men movie

SPOILER: Show
They bring back Cyclops and Jean! :woohoo:

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Thu May 22, 2014 10:09 pm

Godzilla 2014

Had a great time watching it, nice to see it being cognizant of the original series while at the same time not being afraid of being its own movie. The special effects are fantastic but there will always be a place for rubber-suited Godzilla in my heart.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Fri May 23, 2014 2:51 am

Sound City

I'd seen it a couple of times before, but I only now got around to buying it. One of the better music documentaries I've ever seen, it's just a great celebration of the human element in rock music and the excellent stuff that came out of this studio in particular. Also, Dave Grohl. And that's a good enough reason to like it.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Dima » Sat May 24, 2014 9:32 am

Saw American Gigolo for the first time last night. Movie still holds up very well despite that is is an 1980 film. Nice soundtrack, Armani suits all over the place, nice looking mature ladies and Richard Gere as a gigolo..... can't go wrong with all that. Story was okay-ish nothing we haven't heard or seen before but the film has a good flow and execution.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat May 24, 2014 9:30 pm

I just saw the new X-Men movie, best one ever, I don't think they'll be able to top it.

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby TomasJC » Sun May 25, 2014 4:41 am

After a long time of putting it off, I sucked it up and decided to rewatch 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time in a long, long time. This probably counts as the first time I have viewed it with an actual mindframe and can remember what happened, instead of watching it for the sake of watching. I have always loved the scope of it, and Kubrick is one of my favorite storytellers. His choice of using classical music instead of a score still makes me shudder in my shoes, and the mystery behind the film's lore is always tantalizing to speculate about. But this time, while I sat there in the dark with the lingering sound of the Exit Music ringing in my ears, I felt like I had just watched the end of an extremely long and emotion-inducing series. I had NO IDEA how to feel! The final scene I continuously described as "Magnificently Ridiculous"- should I like it? Do I understand it? Why do others like it? Or hate it? Is it actually beautiful? It was reminiscent of my first EoE viewing: it took me some time to realize that I had somehow experienced both the universal love, and hate, somehow at the same time.
This isn't the first time this has happened, and I can't say I dislike the feeling (even the emptiness that usually comes a few hours after the viewing gives me something to ponder about). My god, that film is crazy. Some films I find myself liking for the sake of their popularity, but others (like this) I genuinely love. Even if it is extremely hyped up as genius or put down as convoluted rubbish.

Mind you, films that make me feel like this usually become my favorites.
"That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument!" -Jim Steinman
"When I was growing up, there were two things that were unpopular in my house. One was me, and the other was my guitar." -Bruce Springsteen
"Alcohol is humanity's friend... Can I abandon a friend?" -Yang Wen-li
"...See you on the Dark Side Of The Moon~"

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Sun May 25, 2014 8:21 am

The big lebowski
Jeff Bridges is now one of my favorite actors of all time after seeing this film.

"Nobody fucks with the jezus"/10

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Sun May 25, 2014 1:42 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Just got back from X-Men: Days of Future Past and it's frickin' awesome - easily the best of the franchise alongside X2. The set-up is a little clumsy but once the movie does get going there is absolutely no stopping it and it certainly doesn't pull any punches either. The best thing, though, is that it's not entirely a Wolverine centric film (he plays more of a plot device really). Instead, Charles Xavier [James McAvoy] and Mystique [Jennifer Lawrence] are the primary focus with one hell of a showing from Magneto [Michael Fassbender] too. I got goosebumps at least a dozen or so times and the action set-pieces are simply stunning and awe inducing. I thought the future setting was also particularly well done. Truly frightening stuff.

Agree with all this. Definitely the best since X2.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun May 25, 2014 4:06 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Just got back from X-Men: Days of Future Past and it's frickin' awesome - easily the best of the franchise alongside X2. The set-up is a little clumsy but once the movie does get going there is absolutely no stopping it and it certainly doesn't pull any punches either. The best thing, though, is that it's not entirely a Wolverine centric film (he plays more of a plot device really). Instead, Charles Xavier [James McAvoy] and Mystique [Jennifer Lawrence] are the primary focus with one hell of a showing from Magneto [Michael Fassbender] too. I got goosebumps at least a dozen or so times and the action set-pieces are simply stunning and awe inducing. I thought the future setting was also particularly well done. Truly frightening stuff.[/spoiler]

I third this statement. This has a great shot at being MOTY, at least maybe until Interstellar comes along. Singer knows how to make great X-Men movies and I can't wait to see what he'll do with the next one.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby TomasJC » Mon May 26, 2014 12:59 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:The big lebowski
Jeff Bridges is now one of my favorite actors of all time after seeing this film.

"Nobody fucks with the jezus"/10

Oh god, I love John Turturro. Screw it. That whole film rocks.
"I am the Walrus."
"That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument!" -Jim Steinman
"When I was growing up, there were two things that were unpopular in my house. One was me, and the other was my guitar." -Bruce Springsteen
"Alcohol is humanity's friend... Can I abandon a friend?" -Yang Wen-li
"...See you on the Dark Side Of The Moon~"

Return to “Film and Video”