Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Madonna
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Madonna » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:19 pm

Martha Marcy May Marlene

Wow! what a great film, Elizabeth Olsen does a great job, a total refreshing film and I loved how it ended on an ambiguous note.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:46 am

No country for old men

Javier Bardem is so good actor. Made my snake shiver every time i saw him on screen. I really liked the cowboy(ish) theme too.

9/10.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:02 pm

Don Jon

great debut film from JGL. really liked the editing and the way the story wasn't too predictable.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:28 am

Every October is a horror movie marathon month for me. Tonight it was the first two films in the Tombs of the Blind Dead series. Pure 70's cheesiness.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:29 pm

Just came back from Gravity IMAX 3D.

It is glorious.

This is the reason IMAX 3D exists and is worth the money. Would have been even more amazing with HFR but you can't have everything. Yet. ^_^

One thing though. The movie is extremely grounded in reality. It does do a few annoying things for the sake of PLOT but overall it is very solid. This is good and semi-bad.

The good is that because it's so well done you can put it along side actual IMAX films made in space like The Dream is Alive, Mission to Mir and Space Station 3D and as long as you omit a few really trippy camera angles Gravity would fit right in.

The semi-bad  SPOILER: Show

The semi-bad is that if you're familiar with the spacecraft involved and know how basic physics works everything becomes completely predictable. You know exacly what options the characters have and what could go wrong and see it all coming miles away. It's annoying but the movie sucks you in anyway, so no biggie.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Dr. Talos
Adam

Postby Dr. Talos » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:46 pm

Just saw Gravity. It was an utter triumph, so beautiful and absorbing. The plot was solid if predictable, the acting convincing, the visuals were breathtaking and each scene was brilliantly constructed and flowed so smoothly with minutes of thrilling action passing without jarring cuts.

My film of the year thus far and perhaps the most stunning I've seen it's a true technical and cinematic achievement.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:16 am

Where Eagles dare

aka Castle Wolfenstein: the movie. 2 and a half hours of classic British espionage and killin Nazis, Eastwood style.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:09 am

Just got back from seeing Gravity. Guess it was a good thing we decided to splurge and see it in IMAX 3D.

The film looked and felt amazing. Most definitely worthy of more than a few Oscars.

After reading up a bit on the film, I was kinda disappointed to find out that they had to bend some facts quite a bit to make the story plausible.

SPOILER: Show
The Hubble Space Telescope orbits at about 350 miles from the surface of Earth, the International Space Station at about 220 miles, and communications satellites typically orbit around 22,500 miles away. There's no way those satellites could have posed a threat to the ISS, at least not that quickly. I now remember learning that last factoid in my "Intro to the Solar System" class, but I was too absorbed in the movie to notice. :tongue:

Besides that, props to the producers for remembering that you can't hear anything in space outside of your suit. That effect added a lot to the space-walk scenes.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:03 am

The Departed, probably for twenty-fifth time in my life. One of few movies that I would actually give a 10/10 rating to. Everything about it is just so fantastic.

Moved to correct topic. - Xard
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:24 am

Watched AM1200 after hearing of its Lovecraftian-ness. The first half was a bit slow, although the disturbing soundtrack helped. After the second half of the film things quickly picked up and things got very freaky very quickly. Perhaps one of the best horror films attempting to recreate the Lovecraftian style I've seen outside of maybe Koji Shiraishi's Occult, which is especially significant considering that AM1200 is only 40 minutes long.
Last edited by Shinoyami65 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:42 am

Benh Zeitlin's Beasts of the Southern Wild: I'm not exactly sure what the fuck I just saw, but it was bloody interesting.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:12 pm

Gravity IMAX 3D

I'm just gonna come right out and say it:

Best use of 3D since Avatar....which I would go so far as to say this film was BETTER sited for it than Avatar.

Seriously awesome film with great camera and effectswork. Performances were engaging as well. In a just world, this film should be up for nominations for Best Visual Effects, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, Cinematography, and perhaps Best Actress or Supporting Actor, Best Picture should be a lock because they expanded their nominations to 10 films.....and I can barely think of half that so far that would be up for it this year....but then Oscar season is still around the corner, so who knows.

It also had the
best re-entry sequence in a film since Apollo 13.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Madonna
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Madonna » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:03 pm

Knife In The Water (1962)

A good, interesting film with only three characters throughout the whole movie; stuck on a boat for the majority of it too. I wouldn't classify it as one of Polanski's best, nowhere near the level of genius that are Replusion and Rosemary's Baby; but an entertaining film nonetheless which tackles issues of rivalry and sexual tension.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

The Wolf Man (1941) - Kind of sad how bad this film is compared to some of the other Universal horror classics, like The Bride of Frankenstein. Oh well, it was only 70 minutes long.

Gone With the Wind - Well put together drama that romanticizes the American South far too much and makes slavery out to be like being a maid or butler to a quirky bunch of people compared to the reality of the situation. That being said there is some actual good artistry here, it's just drenched in historical revisionism. Sort of like The Birth of a Nation but not as racist (And arguably progressive in some ways since it has actual black actors, even if their roles are terrible stereotypes).

Blue Caprice - Interesting thriller about the Washington D.C. sniper attacks, and madness in general. One of the lead characters had an almost Charles Manson-esque quality in his performance.

Samurai I: Musashi Miyamoto - I haven't seen the sequels yet, but this was a pretty awesome origin type story. I know little to nothing about the historical figure of Musashi Miyamoto, but I can't wait to see where this series goes next. There's some really awesome work with color at times too here, though I sadly can't grab any screens from my Blu-Ray copy :(.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:39 pm

So, i just watched My neighbor Totoro.

It feels rather bad to say this, but whereas the experience with Nausicaa or Spirited Away was mystical and overpowering, my reaction to Totoro was rather... It was lukewarm. It was a great film, and on technical aspects it was great, it managed to draw emotion out of me, but... I don't know, it just wasn't the same as other Miyazaki films.

I don't know, i guess my inner child is dead or something. Which kind of ties to what i feel was probably the reason i didn't enjoy it so much, it just wasn't a film for me or at least for my state of mind at the time. I kinda didn't let myself purely fall into the whimsical innocence of the film. I could understand and appreciate it, but i just didn't really feel it. If anything i guess the movie reminded me why i tend to not like children so much.

That said, the movie was pretty cute. Satsuki was as sweet as she was irritating (god so much screaming and childishness) but overall she was pretty lovable. Other characters aside from Totoro didn't make much of an impression. I guess i could say the same for most of the film. I just didn't feel the magic this time.

As a bit of an addendum, i rewatched some bits of the film and the reaction softened up somewhat. One thing i would need to add is that i feel a lot of my underwhelment with the film was probably due to watching the film as an adult rather than appreciating/enjoying them as a child. Letting myself get a bit more innocent/emotional with some of the film, i was significantly more appreciative of it, Satsuki wasn't very, if at all, irritating on the re-watches. Not enought to change my overall impression (I still find Nausicaa or Porco Rosso much better films) but now i don't feel really "underwhelmed" by Totoro. As an aside, i admit that for some reason i'm surprised C.A.P. felt i would praise it as one of the greatest animated films ever.

Eh, i don't know. Maybe my opinion will change with a more thorough re-watch.

In any case, next Miyazaki film i'll see is Cagliostro.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:02 pm

Michael Haneke's Amour: Haneke really delivered this time. An intense film about an old couple's love, at times gentle and at other times gruesome. And as can be expected, Haneke nails the form yet again - his static camerawork and editing patterns are powerful.
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:41 pm

Gravity: It was great.

Fun thing: when the movie finished, as I got up from the seat in the cinema, walking felt soooo good. That final moment when she starts walking just hit me really hard.

Sadly, when I was leaving the cinema, I heard some kids say the movie was boring. Stupid children, I hope they realize their mistake when they get older.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:42 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:So, i just watched My neighbor Totoro.

It feels rather bad to say this, but whereas the experience with Nausicaa or Spirited Away was mystical and overpowering, my reaction to Totoro was rather... It was lukewarm. It was a great film, and on technical aspects it was great, it managed to draw emotion out of me, but... I don't know, it just wasn't the same as other Miyazaki films.

I don't know, i guess my inner child is dead or something. Which kind of ties to what i feel was probably the reason i didn't enjoy it so much, it just wasn't a film for me or at least for my state of mind at the time. I kinda didn't let myself purely fall into the whimsical innocence of the film. I could understand and appreciate it, but i just didn't really feel it. If anything i guess the movie reminded me why i tend to not like children so much.

Yeah, I too didn't like it that much. There was something missing.....

Probably the fact that it was too child-like (Like you said) for my taste.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:50 am

Tran Anh Hung's The Scent of Green Papaya. OK, this movie is for the most part like super awesome near-masterpiece but the music just seemed so unfitting. Really beautiful, though.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:59 am

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:Tran Anh Hung's The Scent of Green Papaya. OK, this movie is for the most part like super awesome near-masterpiece but the music just seemed so unfitting. Really beautiful, though.

Wait, what? That's actually directed by Tran Anh Hung? Damn. There was a Finnish DVD release of this film at the library I used to work at and always thought it was just some random Asian film. Now it's even more puzzling why a Finnish company would release one of his films on DVD.

Return to “Film and Video”