Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:08 pm

Watched World War Z. The ending was about the only part I actually liked, the rest was just mindless running around the globe from one special effects marvel to the next. Lame and pointless.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:00 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:Watched Men in Black 3.

Yeah I went and saw it in cinemas with the missus when it fist came out, just out of some sort of sense of nostralgia mainly, and was pleasantly surprised indeed.

Andy Warhol scene is awesome.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:35 pm

Sanjuro - Holy shit this film.

Throughout the entire thing we have very well choreographed but entirely bloodless action scenes. And then we get to the duel in the finale.

SPOILER: Show

I was not ready for Tarantino levels of bloodshed out of seemingly nowhere.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:19 am

Holy shit.

I don't even understand what happened there.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:44 am

Toshiro Mifune drew his sword first and killed the other dude before he could draw either of his weapons. Blood ensued.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:51 am

Helsinki International Film Festival 2013

Hideaki Anno's Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo: It's the third time I saw the film and seeing it on the big screen was a blast. Without a doubt the best Rebuild film so far with its haunting thematics and gorgeous direction. The only problem I had with the screening was a bunch of obnoxious Kaworufags sitting in front of me who giggled and swooned through every single scene with Kaworu and even stretched out their hands whenever Kaworu extended his hand to Shinji. My annoyance turned into delicious joy when they were shocked and terrified by his death. :lol:

Mamoru Hosoda's Wolf Children: Now that I have seen the film twice I can confidently say it's Hosoda's best. Not only does it represent a step away from Hosoda's usual plot/action-oriented screenplay towards a stronger character exploration, it is damn impressive in any other aspects as well. The only gripe I have with this film is the overt sentimentality of the ending - which should have been slightly reduced.

Chan-wook Park's Stoker: Hell yeah, Park proves yet again that he is the master of black humor. Clearly his best film since Vengeance trilogy and I would even dare to say it is on par with Oldboy and Lady Vengeance. I had already managed to forget how Park is always in perfect control of his film and builds up the atmosphere so effortlessly. At first I was a bit baffled by the extreme visual trickery that continued from one scene to another, but eventually I realized it was perfect for the film's overall tongue-in-cheek tone. Furthermore, his form has become even more "sophisticated" (for the lack of a better word) and it's awesome to see him play around with Hollywood's production values and a solid cast (Wasikowska, Goode, Kidman). This film has one of the best punchlines and it had me in stitches even long after the film had ended. If anything, Stoker proved that Prison Break's lead actor can write one heck of a script.

Takashi Miike's Hara-Kiri 3D: The Death of a Samurai: Fuck you, Miike. Fuck you. You don't go and ruin Kobayashi's classic critique of Japanese concept of honor this bad and then cash in with it around the world. :fistshake: Remaking the film was pointless to begin with, but making it 3D was even more so - with a couple of cheap 3D shots tugged in here and there and with the whole cinematography not even acknowledging the 3D it was more of a nuisance than anything else.

The first two thirds of the film are fairly identical with the originals - except some parts are unnecessarily emphasized for more intensity. One of the things that I was afraid would happen with a Miike remake happened, such as the first harakiri scene which was lengthened into a ridiculous bloodfest which completely distracted the audience from the point of the scene. There was also surprising additions of gore in places I did not expect, but that alone didn't enrage me. It was what Miike did with the ending that made me want to tear apart the whole theater when the film ended. He added redundant dialogue and scenes which completely changed the focus of the film. The biggest offender was the very last scene which didn't work as a thematic punchline for the audience I watched with, instead it generated laughter (and there were some people who snickered during the whole ending) and the lead actor's performance was also questionable. Where Nakadai channeled genuine rage in the original this guy seemed like a madman on the run and his facial expression were more comical than serious.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

moongyu
Embryo

Postby moongyu » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:30 am

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:Cannes also booed Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me once. They can be wrong too sometimes.

But with Only God Forgives, just remember that it isn't a sequel to Drive so you don't have any weird preconceptions about the film. Expect something more like, well, like Lynch kind of.

Hm, while I do understand why people just didn't like Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me due to its differences with the show (hard to do the same 'feeling' with the subject matter in the movie), Only God Forgives was booed unfairly IMO. If people are still unsure about watching this, think of Only God Forgives being inspired by Refn's other work, Valhalla Rising instead of Drive which was similar to his Pusher movies.

That said, recently watched the Korean remake of A Better Tomorrow. Bleh, I ain't ever plan on watching this movie again. It's by no mean a terrible movie but it's inferior to the original in every single way.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:37 am

Tran Anh Hung's Cyclo. I liked it, for the most part, but I'm still looking for something to reinvigorate my interest in cinema as an art form. I guess this was a step in the right direction at least. The scene set to "Creep" by Radiohead should be the official music video for that song. Also, Tony Leung dubbed into Vietnamese ftw.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:25 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:Hideaki Anno's Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo: It's the third time I saw the film and seeing it on the big screen was a blast. Without a doubt the best Rebuild film so far with its haunting thematics and gorgeous direction. The only problem I had with the screening was a bunch of obnoxious Kaworufags sitting in front of me who giggled and swooned through every single scene with Kaworu and even stretched out their hands whenever Kaworu extended his hand to Shinji. My annoyance turned into delicious joy when they were shocked and terrified by his death. :lol:

I can only hope that my viewing of 3.0 at NYCC will be that entertaining. :lol:
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:59 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:My annoyance turned into delicious joy when they were shocked and terrified by his death. :lol:

Ahhhhhhhh......This part made my day...... ^_^

Btw, no Finnish sub?

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:05 pm

English subs are the norm in film festivals around the world. HIFF isn't any exception. Only film with finnish subs I've seen at HIFF would be Kokurizoku no Kara and that's simply because Cinema Mondo, distributor of Ghibli films over here, likes to use the festival to premiere the features before they hit the theatrical circuit dubbed and subbed.

So yeah, Q had English subs just like previous entries. Which was interesting experience because it was nice to compare Khara sanctioned official subs to fan subs travelling around. Not many changes though there were couple of things that were expressed more clearly in these subs than the ones that got put together by folks here back in the day. Too bad I can't remember anymore what they were.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:09 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:English subs are the norm in film festivals around the world.

Awwwww.......Shame.....It would have been interesting to see translated version of "The vessel of Adams."

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:13 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Awwwww.......Shame.....It would have been interesting to see translated version of "The vessel of Adams."

If you're REALLY interested in seeing how idiosyncratic Eva terms and technobabble gets translated into gobbledygook finnish you could always search out the finnish DVD releases of NGE, y'know. I actually own one that has episodes 15-17.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:45 pm

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:Sanjuro - Holy shit this film.

Throughout the entire thing we have very well choreographed but entirely bloodless action scenes. And then we get to the duel in the finale.

I was not ready for Tarantino levels of bloodshed out of seemingly nowhere.

That's an awesome movie right there, one of Kurosawa's most underrated IMO. I think because it's a sequel, critics and the like have undersold it. It doesn't help that Yojimbo is so damn awesome that it tends to overshadow his subsequent films as well.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:58 pm

I actually didn't care that much for Yojimbo (Or A Fistful of Dollars either for some reason), but found Sanjuro captivating from beginning to end. The last action scene there was just icing on the cake.

View Original Postmoongyu wrote:Hm, while I do understand why people just didn't like Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me due to its differences with the show (hard to do the same 'feeling' with the subject matter in the movie)

Sure, and I have plenty of issues with the film myself, but it's not even close to being bad enough to deserve being booed.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:54 pm

Tran Anh Hung's Vertical Ray of the Sun - I didn't pay attention to the plot. I was too in awe of Mark Lee Ping Bin's beautiful cinematography. Maybe next time I'll try harder to follow the story and whatnot.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:28 pm

The films I watched at this year's R&A:

Comrade Kim Goes Flying. Living in North Korea is suffering, but you wouldn't guess it based on this film.
Horror Stories. Living in South Korea is suffering. There are generic slasher villains everywhere!
Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo. Being Shinji is still suffering.
Wolf Children. Being a single mother can be suffering, even if your kids are comparatively well-behaved animals.
Hara-Kiri 3D: The Death of a Samurai. Being a samurai at peacetime is suffering. Pointless 3D is suffering. However, as I hadn't seen the original film, I suffered much less than Oz. It's great to be a plebeian!
Ernest & Célestine. If you've ever wanted to see that favela chase scene from Bad Boys 2 in an animated French film about a mouse and a bear, here it is.
The Act of Killing - Director's Cut. Amateur theater is alive and well in Indonesia.
Encierro: Bull Running in Pamplona. If you keep running with the bulls year after year, you're going to get anally devastated at some point. According to dedicated runners, this doesn't count as suffering.
A Hijacking. Being a Danish sailor is suffering when Somali pirates take over your ship, forcing you to poo in a bucket for five months.
Dirty Wars. Having the surname al-Awlaki is suffering because the USA is going to bomb you simply to make a point.
The Deep. Being a portly Icelandic fisherman is suffering when your boat sinks, your friends drown and you survive six impossible hours in the sea only to be told that your miraculous survival abilities stem from you having seal fat. Based on a true story!

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Tribblepoo » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:11 am

Caught myself up on Marvel movies (almost, am going to tackle X-Men: First Class tomorrow).

Captain America
Of all the criticisms I have heard about this movie, I didn't have a problem with them. It was very appropriate that this movie was set in the 1940s and the propaganda was actually historically accurate (if understated). What I did have a problem with was the pacing of the movie; far too slow for a superhero feature. Also, the CGI in the movie seemed to suffer from severe inconsistency. It ranged from some beautiful effects shots that were wholly appropriate for a big-budget movie to stuff that would make SyFy Channel originals look good.

In all, while the movie was an appropriate telling of Captain America's origins, I did not particularly enjoy it.

Thor
This movie was done well. The cinematography and effects were top-notch (I especially liked the rainbow bridge), the acting was on par with the movie fare (superhero action doesn't require any great acting skill), the plot flowed nicely, the script was well-written and presented believably and like I said, the whole thing was done rather well. The only thing that detracted from the movie for me was too many secondary characters. It just seemed a bit cluttered.

Overall, it was an enjoyable movie that I will probably add to my collection at some point.

Ghost Rider 2: Spirit of Vengeance
Oh god why...
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:05 am

View Original PostTribblepoo wrote:Captain America
far too slow for a superhero feature.

I think the slow pacing kind of helped Captain America: The First Avenger. You spend so much time in that 1940's world with the pacing of the movie that by time Cap finally awakes in 20xx, the culture shock is really effective IMO.

Thor
The only thing that detracted from the movie for me was too many secondary characters. It just seemed a bit cluttered.

I somewhat agree, but I think what helped the movie was that most of the characters could be categorized into easy groups. I don't remember the names of all of Thor's friends, all of the head dudes of Asgard, and all of the names of the scientist clique, but IMO it was always to visually tell them apart on screen.

I kind of wish Kenneth Branagh was signed on to direct the sequel but oh well.

Oh god why...

I too asked god why we deserved such a fantastic film starring Nicolas Cage giving the performance of his career after we've done such horrible things collectively as humanity.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby tomrule123 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:47 pm

Just finished seeing World War Z and thankfully, it's not a 100% Letdown. I say 100% because there are a few things that wouldn't define this as the ultimate zombie flick (have not read the book, for if I did, it'd be 75% letdown.) From here, this will be from a film standpoint:
1) CGI. ... God I missed using stop-motion and real props to make the zombies and gore realistic (Dead Alive: still the craziest horror flick I've ever seen)
2) The Suspense is not as grand as some would say. Hell, I caught a few things that I would say, "Oh gee, I wonder if there's at least one zombie that managed to get into this plane. There's a dog barking at something weird, so I'm just going to take a wild guess as to say that there's bound to be a zom-
*zombie attacks worker*
Whaaaa?! That came out of nowhere! :rolleyes:
3) Stupidity. Throughout the film: "Don't make loud noises!" (random people end up making loud voices, including main character's cell phone) "... shit."
4) (I'm guessing the book had this area in better shape): The characters. Most of the time, the characters here don't stand out that much.
5) Tower of Zombies! ... *snicker* Sorry, somehow I can't take this seriously.

Other than that, director of Quantum of Solace managed to pull off a high-quality decent zombie flick. (other than Walking Dead, is there any other current zombie flicks that are as good as these two mentioned? So far, I doubt it.) For the most part, rent. (Extended cut should be the version to see)

Oh god why...

Saw some of this on Starz months ago, asked myself: ... Da Fuq is going on?

Return to “Film and Video”