Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:47 pm

Whatched Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Forgettable cheese but I'm still glad I watched it.

There's also added hilarity to be found for anyone familiar with the actual people/events depicted in the movie. Personally I'd been hoping for an appearance by Salmon P. Chase, but it never happened. Oh well.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:07 am

A weekend or two back I watched The King's Speech (2010). I'm curious on what parts they dramatized and what parts were factual. (I think a bonus feature discussed that in length but I didn't watch the whole thing.)

I loved the background scenery and set designs. It's an inspirational film, I recommend it.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:19 pm

Finally saw Hana-bi.

SPOILER: Show

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:33 pm

Back to the Future : One of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen. I have actually visited the mall were they filmed the initial time travel scene, I'm such a geek.There have been rumors of a remake in the works, but in all honesty remaking this film seems very unnecessary. Can you see anyone see someone other than Michael J. Fox in the role of Marty?

It's a classics film that I recommended to anyone who hasn't watched it.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:56 pm

Just got back from Wreck-It Ralph. It was fantastic! The story was engaging and suspenseful, the characters and voicework were vivid, and the jokes/references/meta were amazing.

And there were moments where I realized "THAT is genuinely terrifying. Well done, Disney."

I'm definitely going to get it on DVD.

Now excuse me while I go find Sgt. Calhoun fanart. ;)
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:37 pm

Since the 1080p copy of Pulp Fiction I have saved on my computer is too much for it to handle, I decided to watch The Mask last night for the first time in over 10 years. It felt great to actually get all the jokes and innuendo this time around. It's still one of my favorite movies ever. I think I was about four years old when I first saw it. Jim Carrey's first transformation literally scared the shit out of me back then....
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:15 am

Saw Pocahontas for the first time in years and i grew to like it even more. My favorite musical bits were "Colors of the Wind" and "Savages".

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:34 pm

Watched Forrest Gump last night, it still holds up well even though it's been 4 years since I watched it last. I still find the story very appealing,and the use of Free bird in the movie was great. High recommendations on this one.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:11 pm

Saw The Animal last night, it was a funny flick and enjoyable. Also nice to see the nice girl from the first season of Survivor since i'm a reality tv buff.

MassiveInvader
Adam

Postby MassiveInvader » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:54 am

The Man Who Knew Too Little. I loved this movie, the acting was good, and the situation was funny.
I will respect your opinion if you respect mine.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:06 pm

Face/Off: One of the best action films i've ever seen. Terrific performances by the cast, especially the two leads.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:28 am

Red Riding - 1974 (2009)

Just caught this on TV tonight. Really captivating in the darkest sort of way. Andrew Garfield does a brilliant job as the young, cocky journalist Dunford (Hard to believe this is Spider-Man you're watching at times!), and Sean Bean is always good. Probably one of his better performances though, due in course of the tone of the film, I reckon.

That final part was heavy, man. The death of Paula really broke Dunford, followed by the torture scenes. Poor guy. Kind of didn't expect that ending, but it was a logical progression considering what transpired beforehand. Still, it packed quite the punch.
I'm hoping they play the second one next weekend, as I'm hooked. Interested in how the films will connect on a narrative level. I do know they all share the same setting and themes, but I want to see if the characters recur, or if certain plot elements are picked up on again, etcetera.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:06 pm

The Good Son: Macaulay Culkin is sinister as the little hell spawn, Elijah Wood comes off as annoying in some bits, the ending is a toss up 50-50 happy and sad.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:37 am

Watched The Dark Night Rises after for so long...

...and there's nothing else like watching thousands of cops go against armed thugs with their bare hands and nightsticks, like a complete throwback to the Middle Ages.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:44 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Watched The Dark Night Rises after for so long...

...and there's nothing else like watching thousands of cops go against armed thugs with their bare hands and nightsticks, like a complete throwback to the Middle Ages.

That scene makes no sense at all though. It bugged me even when I saw it in theatre for first time and it just gets worse more time passes from seeing the film :lol:

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:32 pm

The Amazing Spider-Man: Anything but amazing. If this is the sign of things to come, the future looks bleak. Parker comes off as annoying, the love story drags down the action, and the CGI for the Lizard would be menacing if it weren't so obvious on the CGI factor.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:37 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:

But... That's the best part of the movie, haha!

Watched Iron Man 2 last night. It's a thing, not really worthy of comment. Positively or negatively.

Watching the next Red Riding movie tonight (1980), along with Spirited Away beforehand.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:05 am

Been replaying that scene, epic as hell, IMO as good as watching the host of Rohirrim take on Sauron's army, or Braveheart. :lol:

----------

I forgot to mention this other film I watched, it was a WWII period Japanese movie about kamikaze pilots -- something called ...For Those We Loved (?) -- and... after watching, I told myself:

"Such lofty idealism and romantic notions of family and country, but at the same such an amazing amount of blind and intense faith, faith that could've driven a country to extinction had it not for those atomic bombs."

http://www.screenredasia.com/movie/?view=for_those_we_love

----------
Sucks that I missed Moshidora (even if it's not her best movie) on the same day. orz.
Last edited by soul.assassin on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:28 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:"Such lofty idealism and romantic notions of family and country, but at the same such an amazing amount of blind and intense faith, faith that could've driven a country to extinction had it not for those atomic bombs."

They're doing it with bureaucracy nowadays. They've laid concrete on river banks and thrown tetrapods on all beaches with billions of yens just because they have had money to spend - without thinking about the drastic consequences of such actions.

Oh yes, I'm reading Alex Kerr's Dogs and Demons right now so that's what inspired this reply.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:04 am

View Original PostOz wrote:They're doing it with bureaucracy nowadays. They've laid concrete on river banks and thrown tetrapods on all beaches with billions of yens just because they have had money to spend - without thinking about the drastic consequences of such actions.

Oh yes, I'm reading Alex Kerr's Dogs and Demons right now so that's what inspired this reply.

If I were to be damn blunt, I'd say We Loved had to be one the most blatant nationalistic/romanticized films about the war; reminds me too strongly of Pearl Harbor.

Return to “Film and Video”