[TV] A Game of Thrones

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun May 31, 2015 11:21 pm

I knew it! I knew someone like him couldn't exist in the Amoral world of Westeros and not be a part of something bigger.

Ugh. I've got so many books to go. I hate being the last to the party.[/spoiler]

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:30 am

Well, some of the prolonged scenes of shakycam battle had me falling asleep a bit, but that did indeed get pretty metal in parts. The directorial choice with the way it ended was especially chilling.

SPOILER: Show
I knew spear-wife lady was too cool to last. Getting done in by a bunch of zombie children kind of had me going "meh", though. Seriously, this is a hardened broad for whom dealing with zombies is a fact of life, and you really expect me to believe she's going to falter over that? Ugh.

Real smooth move with not having the dragon glass handy when it was needed, too. Shouldn't the black brothers have at least each kept a piece on their person, in the event of an attack?

The Others don't like the sonic properties of Valyrian Steel or something?

BTW, are Silent Sisters actually supposed to say... anything at all?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:30 am

Oh whatever. Jamie will be the one wielding that flaming blade in his golden hand when the shit goes down for reals. Jon just got lucky he had a nice dragonsteel blade at his side, he's nothing special.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:18 am

Jamie is no Guts. He can't exactly fight with this hand. (Tough the blade catching was cool scene :P)
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:13 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:
BTW, are Silent Sisters actually supposed to say... anything at all?

They aren't supposed to speak, they've taken a vow of silence, hence the name.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:29 am

That was the first big battle scene in GoT that actually looked good. Much better than the battle of the Blackwater, it actually looked like a large scale battle instead of a bunch of extras swinging swords around.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:06 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:They aren't supposed to speak, they've taken a vow of silence, hence the name.

Who was the lady who kept nagging Cersei in her cell, then?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:08 pm

Those are septas, not silent sisters. Silent sisters are septas that speak only to the dead and serve the Stranger.

Septas a nuns, basically.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:20 am

Oh, right! Don't I feel silly. Septas have been a non-presence on the show long enough (alas, poor Septa Mordane...) that I managed to forget they were a thing. :hahaha:

Only two episodes left this year. So weird.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:01 pm

Winter has arrived, I guess.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:13 pm

Another :rei_dance: episode!

First off, fuck Melisandre and her Lord of Light bullshit. I have now officially had enough of her. I hope she gets raped by a mace by the end of the series. Same goes for Stannis. You don't just pull shit like that and not expect an emotional wall of hellfire from me. I don't give a shit how hard it was for you to do. You're being had by the Red Witch, you blind cunt!

OTHERWISE:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT, THE GAMES! JORAH! TYRION! DRAGONS!

And Bronn got elbowed the fuck out. That was a funny bit.

ETC:

Uhhhhh, I'm getting really nervous where Arya's storyline with Meryn might be headed........
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:06 pm

I don't understand how they can produce episodes like Hardhome and turn around and do this. That made absolutely no sense.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:26 am

Eh, just enjoy it for what it is and remind yourself you still have the books to crush all your hopes and dreams slightly differently later. :devil:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:17 pm

Season 5, Episode 9  SPOILER: Show
Loved how Shireen's response to getting a wooden buck was to want a doe. Wish Davos could have done more for her. (Can't wait to see his reaction.) Poor sweet girl getting the fiery embrace of R'hllor was heart-breaking, and I'm glad they left the worst of it to our imaginations. Hard to believe Selyse would've been the one to break there, while Stannis didn't so much as leak a tear (that I could see).

Is Arya getting better at lying? Jaqen didn't "call her out" (SMACK!) for the bit about the thin man not being hungry. And lol at them making sure Trant is appropriately disgusting right before Arya gets down to business with him. For all the audience members who can't remember this guy is a scumbug and deserves it, might as well make him a little girl fucker, eh?

I was a little confused by the Sons of the Harpy showing up out of nowhere, and especially when they killed Loraq. Was I just reading too many bullshit fan theories, or was he seriously implied to be in cahoots with them? Maybe this doesn't contradict that, though, since SoH could've interpreted the forced marriage as a betrayal or something. Even so... Danny reopening the pits and marrying one of the high-up families shows she's willing to compromise, so why would they respond to that with an assassination party? Isn't that kind of foolhardy? I guess the show will be delving into the political side of this and I should just wait.

Drogon saving the day was pretty kick ass. I don't talk to the TV often, but... I was actually cheering him on. :D
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:57 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Eh, just enjoy it for what it is and remind yourself you still have the books to crush all your hopes and dreams slightly differently later. :devil:

Sounds about right :tongue:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:34 pm

I think this is probably the kind of thing they were going for with Sansa and missed the mark: this is tragic, ugly, and nasty, but it does a lot more at forming our opinion of the character (Stannis) in question than that whole business with Ramsay.

Granted, you could say that was intended to be more about forming Sansa's character than vice versa, but it was still a hamfisted way to do it. This was very nearly hamfisted, but it evoked the right mix of horror, shock, disgust, and a definite reassessment of a character a lot of people got to love (myself included) for all the wrong reasons. It forced us to admit that, no, Stannis was not a noble demon this whole time: he probably was a self-deluding bastard.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:32 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:It forced us to admit that, no, Stannis was not a noble demon this whole time: he probably was a self-deluding bastard.

Is it even necessary to sharply delineate between the two? People are paradoxical and can be multiple things at once. What determines which of those things they will be at any given time? Circumstance.

I was surprised that Stannis didn't counter Davos' suggestion with what seemed obvious to me: even if they were to return to Castle Black, then what? The reason they were kicked out in the first place is because the castle didn't have the supplies to shelter Stannis' army any longer. Going back would have simply delayed the inevitable AND dragged down the Night's Watch with them. What would the point of that be? What would Shireen's chances have been in any scenario, besides, were they left to play out to the bitter end? I don't exactly think highly of burning a gentle and intelligent girl at the stake while she screams for her parents, but odds are Stannis doesn't approve of it, either, and only indulged Melisandre's suggestion out of sheer desperation. If Shireen's sacrifice ends up saving dozens to hundreds of others, will it have been worth it?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:52 pm

At this point, I think I'm glad I'm never picked up the show and just stuck to reading the books. :|

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:32 pm

I've never understood why Stannis had so many fans in the first place. He's just a self-righteous hypocrite who, while aware of his hypocrisy, still engaged in hypocritical acts anyways. He's better than people like Joffrey, sure, but he's hardly what I'd call good king material. He gets credit for going to the wall but just about everything else he does I disapprove of. Davos deserves a better master.

Also, I hope Melisandre dies a humiliating and/or painful death. Preferably involving fire for poetic justice.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:22 pm

I never liked Stannis. I began to see him more favorably after scenes of him with his daughter earlier on this season, but with what he just did, it's like all that talk about his daughter being so important to him, he sought out the only known cure for greyscale in order to save her just went down the fucking tubes, man.

Fuck Stannis. Hard.

Fuck Melisandre. Harder. With a morning star.

I am VERY interested with how Davos will handle this news.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Return to “Film and Video”