[TV] A Game of Thrones

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:26 pm

View Original PostChainsaw Owl wrote:Tell me, does anyone know what's supposed to happen once the show catches up with the books?

It will still be a couple of years until it catches up since the 3rd and 4th seasons covered only one book, but from what I've heard Martin already told the producers what he plans for the ending so they could do it even without the final book. I did a quick google search and found this, apparently the producers are worried about the young actors growing up, they have to finish the series before Arya hits puberty. :lol:

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:31 pm

View Original PostChainsaw Owl wrote:I've been quite pleased with the show so far, though I always pictured Eddard as more of an Aragorn than a Boromir...

Yes, Sean Bean is not a good likeness for Eddard as described in the books. However, they did make him look similar to the two children (Jon and Arya) who are described as resembling Ned in the books, so at least they're consistent.

So, for the show...
A Storm of Swords  SPOILER: Show
Who wants to bet that the Purple Wedding will happen by the end of the third episode? No way can they make Joffrey's death into any sort of climax.

Based on the trailer, Jaime is at King's Landing and therefore able to speak to Joffrey, so it'll be interesting to see how he reacts to upcoming events.[/spoiler]

Melchior
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Melchior » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:47 pm

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:[...]they have to finish the series before Arya hits puberty. :lol:

She's 16...
Puberty should have been hit by now :lol:

Edit: Unless of course you're strickly talking the character... not the actor.
In which case, I'm the asshole.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:56 pm

@Atropos: 3's too soon. 4, 5 at the latest.

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:It will still be a couple of years until it catches up since the 3rd and 4th seasons covered only one book

Judging from the trailer Season 4 is going to move into AFFC and ADWD territory already, at least in regards to Dany's arc. We have at least two seasons left after that with the current material, three if they want to. TWOW could come out in that time too....
Last edited by CJD on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:57 pm

View Original PostChainsaw Owl wrote:I always pictured Eddard as more of an Aragorn than a Boromir...

I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the character descriptions to care. Speaking of Boromir, though: I just watched LotR again, and I was kind of wowed by how Boromir and Eddard feel completely different. Mark of great acting, I suppose. I need to see more of Bean's work sometime.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:58 pm

View Original PostMelchior wrote:She's 16...
Puberty should have been hit by now :lol:

Edit: Unless of course you're strickly talking the character... not the actor.
In which case, I'm the asshole.

I was joking, I knew the actress was well past that phase, but she doesn't look like it at all.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:11 pm

What gets me is that everybody has long hair and I never pictured any of them that way while reading the books.

Also they moved the Hound's scars to the wrong side of his head for no readily apparent reason and while the actor is good he's way too old. Renly was also completely miscast and I generally hate how the show has portrayed Loras as well. They took two manly men who happened to be gay and made them into preening promiscuous stereotypes.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:32 am

View Original PostChainsaw Owl wrote:It is unreservedly my favorite entry in the swords-n-sorcery genre, surpassing even my longstanding fondness for Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.

Oh awesome - Another WOT fan! Not too many on the boards here from what I've gleamed. ASOIAF slightly outranks it for me as well. Aside from the grittier and more low fantasy-type setting, GRRM's use of plots/sub-plots, backstories and history is much more richly layered in my opinion, and what makes it. Maybe also the magic and religion aspects being much more mysterious and intriguing.

Should be worth noting that I still haven't watched any further than S1 of the TV adaptation.
I found it a good show but it was actually damaging my interpretation of the text itself.

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:It will still be a couple of years until it catches up since the 3rd and 4th seasons covered only one book, but from what I've heard Martin already told the producers what he plans for the ending so they could do it even without the final book.

This is kind of cool actually for fans of the show, as it will kind of vindicate the viewing experience as its own thing separate from the books. I also imagine there are going to be even more gnarly and epics things coming that the show wouldn't be able to pull off without a blockbuster Hollywood movie budget. Though I can imagine the production already having a pretty vast sum for what it does.

Who knows, maybe there will even be movies lined-up a la X-Files and Twin Peaks.

View Original PostReichu wrote:I need to see more of Bean's work sometime.

Juxtapose; watch Red Riding 1974.
Absolutely chilling.

View Original PostChuckman wrote:What gets me is that everybody has long hair and I never pictured any of them that way while reading the books.

Dude, it's a fantasy setting. You should always assume everyone has some sort of long hair unless specifically noted otherwise.

:lol:
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:35 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:I also imagine there are going to be even more gnarly and epics things coming that the show wouldn't be able to pull off without a blockbuster Hollywood movie budget. Though I can imagine the production already having a pretty vast sum for what it does.

I haven't read the books, but people who have tell me that this has already happened, specially when it comes to Daenerys' storyline, apparently some of the places she visits in her journey have been scaled down to fit the series' budget.

Melchior
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Melchior » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:27 am

Peter Dinklage, while playing Tyrion flawlessly, is no where near as hideous looking and mangled as he should be based on the book.

...but hey, at least he doesn't have long hair, right Chuckman? :)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:34 am

I chalk up some things (like Tyrion's ugliness) to unreliable narration. Tyrion sees himself that way. The most detailed descriptions we have of him are from his own perspective and Sansa's after their forced wedding. Neither are inclined to emphasize his good points.

There are some well known points of unreliable narration that haven't happened yet and I'm curious to see how the show handles it.

Yes, he'd look absurd with long hair.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:57 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Oh awesome - Another WOT fan! Not too many on the boards here from what I've gleamed. ASOIAF slightly outranks it for me as well. Aside from the grittier and more low fantasy-type setting, GRRM's use of plots/sub-plots, backstories and history is much more richly layered in my opinion, and what makes it. Maybe also the magic and religion aspects being much more mysterious and intriguing.

Agreed, WoT has a stellar combination of all the things I value in a fantasy setting. It has a truly impressive cast, but none of the annoying elves, gnomes, or dwarves that seem to have plagued the genre since Tolkien first breathed life into it. There's just one "ogier" (well, just one that we see often) and he is, by all accounts, a super cool dude. WoT also puts actual repercussions on using magic, which I like. Heck, it causes men to go literally insane from using it, complete with hallucinations and murderous fits starting with the prologue. There's a hundred other good things to say about WoT, but I'll cut here before I start to derail.

But then ASoIaF came along. The "special races" are so rare that you might as well consider the population 100% human. Magic is so rare that most people dismiss it as the stuff of fairytales, so you don't have to worry about Rambo the Lightningbrand destroying whole armies with his pulsating veiny fireballs of +9 plot damage. Martin also added that extra bit of authenticity with his use of foul language and sexuality, whereas WoT tried to classily steer away from such overly-adult themes. Personally I like my books to read like a medieval history text written by someone who usually does erotica, and with ice-zombies thrown in for extra flavor. Martin does this marvelously. :lol:

A couple years ago while re-reading book 3 or 4 in Wheel of Time, I came across the part where Perrin (who is about 20 at this point) tries to figure out how to deal with the romantic advances of a certain bold-nosed female. I remember laughing quietly to myself and thinking "Ha! Jon would have already sealed the deal by now. Multiple times."

It's really quite funny to observe how older writers would skate around the things they knew they couldn't write.

View Original PostMelchior wrote:Peter Dinklage, while playing Tyrion flawlessly, is no where near as hideous looking and mangled as he should be based on the book.

Tyrion is pretty much the only character I could never get a solid picture of in my head. His siblings are described as incredibly attractive, so I wasn't quite sure how to translate such good genes onto a deformed little body. However, Peter Dinklage's portrayal absolutely blew me away. You're right, though. In the show, it slightly irked me that he didn't lose his...

SPOILER: Show
nose, during the battle on the Blackwater. I suppose that would be an annoying wound to constantly do makeup for, though.
Set phasers to thrill.

Melchior
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Melchior » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:24 pm

View Original PostChainsaw Owl wrote:
SPOILER: Show
nose, during the battle on the Blackwater. I suppose that would be an annoying wound to constantly do makeup for, though.

Yeah, that was really the main think in the book that didn't translate over. The make up for the incision/scarring was done pretty decently, so I guess I can look past it.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:45 pm

The Wheel of Time is genre fiction, ASOIAF is literature.
the prophecy is true

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:55 pm

^That's why I love you Chuck. Only you can gripe about the ivory tower and then mere days later feel the need to differentiate between genre fiction and literature. :lol:

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:I haven't read the books, but people who have tell me that this has already happened, specially when it comes to Daenerys' storyline, apparently some of the places she visits in her journey have been scaled down to fit the series' budget.

Having just read the books this year, I came away with two major complaints, and this was one of them. (For the record, the other was the fact that they removed practically all but the bare minimum fantasy elements of the story. In the books there are prophecies upon prophecies, magical relics, and generally far more mysticism.)

Everything got turned down. Everything. The scene in season 1 where Viserys gets his crown? The building they were in at the time had like a thousand people in it if I recall correctly. In the TV show it had less than a hundred. Everything's bigger in the books, and that's a huge downside of the adaption in my opinion. When I want stories adapted to the big screen it's almost exclusively to see the grandness detailed in the text displayed in visual format. Shrinking that grandness to a fraction of what it was only raises the question, why bother adapting it in the first place?
Last edited by CJD on Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:13 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:The Wheel of Time is genre fiction, ASOIAF is literature.

Ummmm.... wait, I seem to recall...

View Original PostChuckman wrote:fantasy and science fiction are bullshit made up categories created by literary snobs to keep pop fiction out of their ~literature~ ivory tower circlejerk anyway.

A little less trolling, mayhaps? :p

View Original PostCJD wrote:Shrinking that grandness to a fraction of what it was only raises the question, why bother adapting it in the first place?

The obvious "money!" response aside, it should go without saying that the medium of film (whether TV or theatrical) can do certain things that the written word cannot. Why is a sense of scale the only thing that matters to you? What about actors and what they bring to the characters? The prop and costume departments' realization of the countless things described in GRRM's giant rambling paragraphs of self-indulgent detail? Sets and location shooting? The atmosphere created by lighting, palette, and directorial choices? And so on.

I sometimes wonder if modern audiences are being trained to appreciate spectacle at the expense of all else. "If hundreds of millions of dollars can't be expended to show every soldier specified to have been at such-and-such battle on-screen at once, there's no reason a film version of this book should exist at all!" Yes, high-octane special effects in service of a story are nice, but if you're reading books in the first place, you obviously have some sense of imagination. You can use it when you're not reading books, too.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:30 pm

You're right CJD, I seem to remember the hall where Viserys was "crowned" described as being massive in scale, big enough to house a great many khalasars.

I could be mistaken, though. It's been a long time for me since Viserys got what was coming to him.

On that note, I'm sure many of us could pick out little inconsistencies in every single episode, but I'm thankful that not many have been anywhere close to base-breaking.

*greedily refuses to pay a thousand extras for a five-minute stretch of film*
Set phasers to thrill.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:01 pm

^I just looked it up. "Five thousand men in the hall."

And yea. I'm not one to bitch that they changed small stuff, and I still love the TV series, it's just a bit of a disappointment in that one aspect.

View Original PostReichu wrote:Why is a sense of scale the only thing that matters to you?

For the exact reason you describe. My imagination can create the rest of what you list for me. What my imagination can't do, or more accurately what it has trouble doing, is envision the fullness of the epic (and I hate to use that word) scenes that are described. That sense of pure awe is something that can't be imagined, only seen. It's the difference between reading a description of Everest and seeing it with your own eyes.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:56 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:^That's why I love you Chuck. Only you can gripe about the ivory tower and then mere days later feel the need to differentiate between genre fiction and literature. :lol:

Chuckman is ephemeral, like quicksilver. Many try to capture the spirit of Chuckman, only to find they grasp at shadows and half remembered dreams.

I make the distinction because ASOIAF is incredibly layered and complex and touches on themes of war, gender roles, environmentalism, economics, class struggle, and the like. Jordan's work, while remarkable in its scope and stronger in its prose (Jordan's real life combat experience is obvious when you read his battle scenes) is a mile wide and an inch deep; even its apparent commentary on gender roles is just a fetish for bondage and strong women. (Not that I fault him for that. Who doesn't love a good tsundere and a little rope play?)

My gripes come from the fact that the establishment does not recognize work like ASOIAF as literature and refuses to consider it, because it is labeled as fantasy and has mass market appeal. I further resent that "science fiction" has managed to claw itself some respectability while fantasy has not when they're really the same freaking thing most of the time.

Having just read the books this year, I came away with two major complaints, and this was one of them. (For the record, the other was the fact that they removed practically all but the bare minimum fantasy elements of the story. In the books there are prophecies upon prophecies, magical relics, and generally far more mysticism.)

They did this for obvious reasons: to further the mass market appeal. Some of the decisions they've made are baffling, though. The costume designs are great, for example, but Martin carefully describes fashions with real world analogues in the books. I was disappointed that Sansa's wedding gown was completely wrong, even though it was very intricate and well made.

Everything got turned down. Everything. The scene in season 1 where Viserys gets his crown? The building they were in at the time had like a thousand people in it if I recall correctly. In the TV show it had less than a hundred. Everything's bigger in the books, and that's a huge downside of the adaption in my opinion. When I want stories adapted to the big screen it's almost exclusively to see the grandness detailed in the text displayed in visual format. Shrinking that grandness to a fraction of what it was only raises the question, why bother adapting it in the first place?

There's a reason for this. Martin spent most of his career as a television writer and part of his motivation to write the novels was to write the kind of television show he always wanted to make, but would be impossible due to budgetary and logistical considerations. They still have a hard time; it's one of the most expensive television shows ever.

View Original PostReichu wrote:mayhaps

I see what you did there.

Anyway, given their budget and extensive use of CGI they could be a little more clever with making things appear larger and people more numerous. The only thing they really capture well is the scale of the buildings. The Tourney of the Hand was ridiculous.

Frankly, I think they're wasting money on all these location shoots. A total greenscreen production with physical sets like Starz' Spartacus series would impart a kind of hyperreality and probably save a lot of money. I don't know the logistics of the film grants they get, though. I know they get funding and tax breaks for having a certain number of British cast members. I assume the location shoots are tied to similar incentives from the various locales.
the prophecy is true

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:34 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote: even its apparent commentary on gender roles is just a fetish for bondage and strong women. (Not that I fault him for that. Who doesn't love a good tsundere and a little rope play?)

Whoa... You are absolutely correct. Suddenly the thought of Egwene being forced to wear her choker by her mistress (whose name I've forgotten) fills me with a stiff desire for a WoT show on HBO...

My gripes come from the fact that the establishment does not recognize work like ASOIAF as literature and refuses to consider it, because it is labeled as fantasy and has mass market appeal.

I'm so out of touch that I had no idea this sort of prejudice was still an issue. It reminds me of the jocks in middle school who seemed legitimately butthurt whilst everyone else was fawning over the "dorky" Lord of the Rings movies.

I can understand having predispositions against certain settings, but it's saddening to think that anyone considered highly in literary circles would disregard a book's merits simply because of its connection to certain genres.
Set phasers to thrill.

Return to “Film and Video”