[TV] My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:50 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Twilight Sparkle: I still regard her as the "best pony,"

NO... That quote goes to Derpy Hooves! To anyone that hates and/or insults this pony: ... (remember: those that hate/insult, not anything else.)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:42 pm

See, here's how I see it:

You got your selection of ponies you like because they're strong characters who usually try to do what's right most of the time, like Twilight Sparkle and Applejack. Sure, they also mess up from time to time and have to learn from their own mistakes as well, but not as often as the other ponies.

Then you have your ponies that are more or less the "fanservice," if you will. These are the characters who the creators usually give the cute expressions and usually are the ones learning the lessons, like Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy. Sure, they can be the only one who knows what to do from time to time, but usually they're just there to serve as the object lesson, and to be adorable/awesome/whatever.

Then you have ponies that usually fall in the middle somewhere. They can prove the object lesson as many times as learn the object lesson. They also can have just as equal moments of fanservice with clever and wit, like Rarity.

I'm really not sure where Rainbow Dash fits in all that.

Anyway, so from strong characters I picked Twilight Sparkle over Applejack, from fanservice I picked Fluttershy over Pinkie Pie, and then there's Rarity for just having good episodes.

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:03 pm

I discovered something pretty amazing recently.

Someone drew fan art for my very own pony fanfic. Here it is. It's a pretty fine piece, in my humble opinion.

That's not all though. I did a little digging, and... not only did someone draw fan art of my story, someone else has done anthro bondage fetish art of my story. Yeah... It doesn't feature outright nudity or explicit content, but you should technically say that my work has been subject to Rule 34. I'm about 90% proud, 10% repulsed. The strangest part though? It was a commission. Someone actually put down money to see bizarro versions of my characters tied up.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:07 pm

Um... Good for you.

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:20 am

View Original PostBornIn1142 wrote:I discovered something pretty amazing recently.

Someone drew fan art for my very own pony fanfic. Here it is. It's a pretty fine piece, in my humble opinion.

That's not all though. I did a little digging, and... not only did someone draw fan art of my story, someone else has done anthro bondage fetish art of my story. Yeah... It doesn't feature outright nudity or explicit content, but you should technically say that my work has been subject to Rule 34. I'm about 90% proud, 10% repulsed. The strangest part though? It was a commission. Someone actually put down money to see bizarro versions of my characters tied up.

. . . The frak? Image
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:54 am

View Original PostBornIn1142 wrote:I discovered something pretty amazing recently.

I.... uh..... congratulations? I figure I'd have a similar range of proud/repulsed values (85% to 15%, I think.) I've occasionally poked around DeviantArt to see if anybody's made fanart based off my OLS fanfic, but so far nothing.

Have some amazing fanmusic:

http://youtu.be/H4tyvJJzSDk

I've got this image in my head of Celestia standing in the middle of a still-smoking blast crater, looking up at the fresh pattern on the old moon... And after the noise and blast and violence, the land is gripped by a vast, suffocating silence.

Wait for the bass drop at 1:01.

And read the description for sniffles.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:24 am

It's a great song. Still, while both the singing and lyrics are quite amazing, I somewhat resent the idea put forth that Luna's fall is somehow Celestia's fault. Is there no avenue where people won't try to put her down so they can elevate Luna?
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:30 am

View Original PostBornIn1142 wrote:I somewhat resent the idea put forth that Luna's fall is somehow Celestia's fault. Is there no avenue where people won't try to put her down so they can elevate Luna?
I agree that Luna corrupted herself, but this song is from Celestia's perspective, relatively recently after she had to turn against her own sister and blast her. She's still grief-stricken and guilt-riddled, and is looking for a 'why'. It's natural to second-guess yourself - "what If I had done this instead of that?" even if your actions wouldn't have had an impact on the final outcome.

The part that gets me every time:

The years now before us,
Fearful and unknown;
I never imagined
I'd face them on my own!

May these thousand winters
swiftly pass, I pray!
I love you, I miss you,
All these miles away...
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:47 am

But then look at these verses:

Once did a pony who shone like the sun
Look out on her kingdom and sigh
She smiled and said, "Surely, there is no pony
So lovely and so well beloved as I"

So great was her reign and so brilliant her glory
That long was the shadow she cast
Which fell dark upon the young sister she loved
And grew only darker as days and nights passed

I don't see how that self-aggrandizement could be taken as unreliable narration instead of at face value. And if so, doesn't that automatically validate Celestia's self-blame?

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:39 pm

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:37 pm

Batman hates us!

[url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jtp_LdmzLY[/url]
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:54 pm

^. . . Tankred. . . is that you?
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:51 pm

Wait, Batman's jealous of my pony collection from McDonald's?

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:12 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Wait, Batman's jealous of my pony collection from McDonald's?

Yes.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:28 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Batman hates us!

[url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jtp_LdmzLY[/url]

Relevant:

SPOILER: Show

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:36 am

Anyone here hear that the third season is coming out in November?
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:45 am

I heard about that. Do you know if it's true?
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:48 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:I heard about that. Do you know if it's true?

If EQD's screenshot of the Hub website is to be believed, it's official:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/10/season-3-announced-for-november.html

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:12 pm

Just reading through some of the older posts here, and HOLY SHIT, I KNOW THIS GUY:

View Original PostHenry Spencer wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS! Kim Jong-il is a Brony!

Boy, he sure put on the pounds.

The dude off to the right in the photograph in the link wearing the "I'm famous on the internet" shirt is a friend of mine, Simon Ladd. He moved to the DC area, where I guess this picture was snapped of him at a Brony meet-up at a con he attended.

He's solely responsible for anything I do these days. He was the one who got me into anime (despite my hate of it), and lead me on the path that eventually lead to watching stuff like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. This particular photograph was the subject of a web comic he does called Conventional Wisdom.

I need to go to more cons with this man.

-------------------------------

EDIT: Just to post some actual relevancy, and because I thought it's be up here already, a sneak preview clip of Season 3's My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic has been released. Why haven't we been watching and discussing?
/)(^3^)(\

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:53 pm

Adorable clip! Glad that I have so many things (Sailormoon news, Eva Q news, MLP episodes) to look forward to in November!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Film and Video”