Film and Philosophy

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Film and Philosophy

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat May 21, 2011 8:23 am

Just because I couldn't let this crap pass:

View Original PostXard wrote:Films are no place for anything intellectually worthwhile. Only some novels pass the test, and even then just barely
View Original PostMerridian wrote:The problem is that many times, filmmakers simply don't understand the material well enough to dramatize it, so they end up with a result that is a poorly thought out mess of pretentious nonsense. And in the few cases where the result isn't poorly thought out nonsense, it's generally just a case of stating the obvious in a very rudimentary and heavy-handed way (NGE). In other cases (as in GitS 2, though I'd like to hear Allemann's comments on this since it sounds like Oshii screwed up his philosophy here, too) they simply do a piss-poor job of dramatizing the material they do know because they lose sight of what film-making is all about.

It's pretty rare to see philosophy explored adequately on film. I can't think of any films that have done such a thing off the top of my head. I mean, philosophers wrote their thoughts down for a reason. It's easier just to read their works or read about their works than to watch some story weighed down by the pretenses of trying to characterize them
It seems like what all this boils down to is "film isn't philosophy so film shouldn't take inspiration from/dramatize philosophical concepts", which is such a bewilderingly stupid idea because then you can extend that same thought to ANY theme/subject that film addresses/dramatizes that's been written about extensively. You can't dramatize entire philosophical arguments, sure, but if philosophy has any actual connection with how people live their lives then it should be glaringly obvious that it's possible to dramatize it in plenty of intellectually substantial ways. Let's also consider that the change of medium from the written word to images in time would dictate a radical reapproach to how such ideas would be presented. You couldn't even begin to discuss how philosophy could/couldn't be substantially addressed in film unless you addressed those changes. To do otherwise would be no different than criticizing a synopsis of a philosophical movement when you've ignored the entire argument because it's written in a language you don't understand (or only partially understand).

When you say that something like, eg, NGE just "states the obvious in a very rudimentary and heavy-handed way," it seems like you're just saying "If you reduce NGE down to its conclusion then it's all rudimentary and heavy-handed", which completely ignores the entire method of dramatizing and of expressing it through the language of its artistic medium. No work that's "rudimentary and heavy-handed" could possibly have provokes as many different reactions and interpretations as NGE, and if intellectually substantial analysis of its connections with philosophy through the context of its dramatization haven't been offered yet, then the failure is on us, not on the work itself. In fact, it strikes me that much the same could be said of all films, and I wonder if either of you have actually investigated any of the books written on the subject of philosophy in film, which has actually had its own mini-movement over the past several decades. Have either of you read Thinking Through Cinema? Because the problem could be with you rather than the films you're watching and thinking about.

I think that last point carries a lot of weight when you consider that film's existence as a medium of images in time is primarily one of extensions without explicit intensions, an ambiguity that language, particularly the kind used in arguments such as in philosophy, seek to eliminate. In one respect, the multitude of meanings, of "intellectually worthwhile" material such a medium can generate is largely an indicator of its intellectual substance. I don't think either of you are being honest with yourselves by lumping NGE in with Forrest Gump on anything other than a philosophical reductionist level, as there is no possible way to argue that the Gump's articulation of its themes through its medium and the meanings it engenders is anywhere close to the level of meanings that NGE's articulation engenders. If that were true, then you both still wouldn't be here.

Funnily enough, I don't think philosophers would agree with either of you as they've been as influenced by the arts as artists have been influenced by philosophers. FWIW, I think film has a lot more in the way of being able to substantially present philosophy in comparison to, say, opera (considering half of its art lies in the unrepresentational realm of music), yet Nietzsche was influenced by Wagner and Kierkegaard by Mozart's Don Giovanni, and do you really think if you reduced the themes of Wagner's works or Don Giovanni they'd offer anything that was superficially philosophically substantial? No. Yet I'd wager that most philosophers realize something neither of you do, and that's that art and drama's (including film's) ability to provoke us to think about such things far outweighs the superficialities of its reductive themes. If that was good enough for them, I'd think you two would no better than to get all ridiculously snobbish on this topic.

And just for a recommendation, Kubrick praised Kieslowski's Dekalog to high heaven precisely for his ability to dramatize complex themes without ever explicitly addressing them.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Xard
Banned

Re: Film and Philosophy

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat May 21, 2011 8:35 am

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:I don't think philosophers would agree with either of you

philosophers are notorious for their inability to agree about anything. :biii:

and didn't I already say that you shouldn't get hung up on Forrest Gump example? Hmph: "Guys, Forrest Gump was just first Hollywood blockbuster feel-good life message film that came to my mind. Don't overanalyze the choice "

Eva Yojimbo wrote:No work that's "rudimentary and heavy-handed" could possibly have provokes as many different reactions and interpretations as NGE

Eva provoking many different reactions has very little to do with its "philosophical" content which isn't heavy. Besides, Merri never said Eva is rudimentary and heavyhanded, just that it's philosophical content is. You miss his point entirely

also, this thread sucks

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sat May 21, 2011 10:59 am

I sense bad things to come.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Re: Film and Philosophy

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat May 21, 2011 11:07 am

View Original PostXard wrote:and didn't I already say that you shouldn't get hung up on Forrest Gump example?
I don't think I'm getting "hung up" on it, I just don't think they're remotely comparable.

View Original PostXard wrote:Eva provoking many different reactions has very little to do with its "philosophical" content which isn't heavy.
No, it has to do with how that philosophical content is expressed. Anno's philosophical intent is at the core of every single choice made, it permeates the entire work. Normally when people discuss philosophy they don't discuss how it's expressed, they simply discuss the meaning and the argument used to get there. Problem is that art is about not seeing through the method of expression to the point that the meaning becomes an innate part of that expression. So reducing philosophy in film to what you (and maybe Merri) have done, the linguistic denotation of what it's about, is not an accurate representation of how philosophy is expressed in film or art in general. You seem to be treating philosophy in film as if there could possibly be a 1:1 relationship between it and philosophy in philosophical texts while ignoring what the change in medium entails.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat May 21, 2011 12:33 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:I sense bad things to come.

yeah, with topic name like that nothing good can come out of this.

Well, if Allemann wrote his post about GitS 2 before tangent got axed it might be positive gain out of this topic (if he chooses to post it here) but... :shrug:

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:I don't think I'm getting "hung up" on it, I just don't think they're remotely comparable.

Well, Eva has basic message in the end. Your random "Hollywood blockbuster feel-good life message film" has basic message in the end

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:No, it has to do with how that philosophical content is expressed.

Most of Eva's content isn't "philosophical".

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Normally when people discuss philosophy they don't discuss how it's expressed

Not true.

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:So reducing philosophy in film to what you (and maybe Merri) have done, the linguistic denotation of what it's about, is not an accurate representation of how philosophy is expressed in film or art in general.

Discussing and analyzing "themes" of a work is pretty common thing. Philosophical elements tend to fall under this category and hence they can be analyzed on their own without necessary discussing the form at the same time. Anyway, this is entirely tangential and pointless not to mention stupid. I'd never claim such thing. Of course theme contained within work (in this case something "philosophical") is distinct from how the said theme is expressed in narrative and/or form. Duh.

And so what? You're arguing against some bizarre claim I've never made.

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:You seem to be treating philosophy in film as if there could possibly be a 1:1 relationship between it and philosophy in philosophical texts while ignoring what the change in medium entails.

Well, there's actually no reason why one couldn't simply film Plato's allegory of cave...or make a film a bit like powerpoint slideshow :lol:

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Sat May 21, 2011 2:57 pm

A film should express what its creator wants it to express.

That is all.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Sat May 21, 2011 5:33 pm

I think I agree with Jimbo, so +1 there.

This is Wikipedia's one-line definition of ontology, pretty much universally considered to be included within philosophy.
ontology deals with questions concerning what entities exist or can be said to exist, and how such entities can be grouped, related within a hierarchy, and subdivided according to similarities and differences

Framing in film is a purely ontological move through and through.
"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat May 21, 2011 5:38 pm

View Original Postplanet news wrote:Framing in film is a purely ontological move through and through.

So photography is philosophy now? Getting awfully broad here

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Sat May 21, 2011 6:45 pm

I suppose someone should define just what kind of philosophy we're talking about here, but as a whole philosophy really IS extremely broad, diverse, and almost universally accessible to all people.

There is always a minimum philosophy to everything we say or do, no?

I do think film has the capability of actually presenting AND reflecting upon reality in a systematized way (close-ups/wide-angle/panning). This is, in an entirely non-metaphorical way, ontology at its purest. Auteurs with a distinctive form and mise-en-scene exemplify this pole of film as ontology.

"Creation of concepts" definition is one I like. As I said before, I think this immediately overlaps with art. You can do art and philosophy at the same time through the same expression.

As for being DEEEEP... well...

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sat May 21, 2011 7:47 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:I sense bad things to come.

I said the same earlier
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?p=460544#460544

This was what mods said
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?p=460699#460699
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sat May 21, 2011 7:59 pm

In attempt to derail an argument before it gets worse:

I think the reason why philosophy is so hard/poorly done in films because philosophy is so difficult to "tell," instead of show. In my mind, philosophy works by telling the person the philosophy, and then show them how it works in real life. The thing is that, you can't just simply tell things in movies. And telling what a philosophy is a core aspect in understanding it. If you just see it, you just say, "Oh, so thats what I should do," and do it mindlessly without understanding it (which, as far as I know, is bad). But, nobody wants to see someone tell how a philosophy works. It would be boring (unless you do it skillfully, which takes time). In books, you can both tell and show your philosophies (if anything, you can do it at ease if your good at writing).

Now, to get back to NGE: Anno does tell his philosophies, it is just that it is just so well done, we don't feel that his is telling it. Now, I can't understand how this works, because how I would say it would just come up in a jumble of words creating an uncomprehending atrocity, but perhaps you can find it out. The only things is that I can say that might make sense is that it is told by showing first, and then telling after.

And, to think, that it was just a "masturbation" show.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sat May 21, 2011 10:04 pm

Philosophy, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. What one person may find philosophical one may find to be pretentious nonsense. I'll just leave it at that.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat May 21, 2011 11:47 pm

I like what Tarjan just said there.

I do think films can be philosophical in some cases, but not often. The issue is both with the film structure and the filmmaker. The structure of film is set up in such a way that it really can't fully explore any thought outside of those that only take about 2 hours and 3 - 7 acts to explore. As a result, most films should only stick with simplistic thoughts or ideas that best suit this narrative structure. Philosophy is rarely one of those ideas best explored in 2 hours of 3 - 7 acts.

There are some filmmakers that are just good enough to use those 3 - 7 acts for the sake of philosophy. there are even good enough to break the 3 - 7 act structure all together and plunge head-long into philosophical exploration, but those filmmakers are few, far-between, and rarely do well in a Hollywood, CA, USA film industry.

Evangelion did most of its existential meanderings throughout the TV series, and much of that was only completely explored in a total of about 4 or 5 episodes. Outside of those episodes, the issue is mainly skirted past and saved for a later date. The End of Evangelion really didn't explore philosophical questions in as much as it was just a realization of those philosophical issues brought up in 4 or 5 episodes in the TV series. So much of the philosophical discussion still takes place outside of the feature film, and is therefore lost on those who haven't already seen the TV series. In other words, it still had to rely on sources outside of the film in order to support any of the philosophical issues within the film itself, mainly because the 90 - 120 minute feature film is a bad arena for philosophical material in general.

Rebuild has only touched the tip of the iceberg on the philosophical front, so I wouldn't even consider that series yet as dabbling into philosophy. And if it does in the next two film, it would already have the support of iceberg-tipping in the previous two films to help establish its philosophical foundation.

All that to say is that film can go into philosophy if the filmmaker wants it to, but film is not the best of mediums in which to do that. And when a filmmaker will explore philosophical ideas in a movie, he will often times need the support of a series of films or other means of visual media. Philosophy is just too big to fit in a 2 hour, 3 - 7 act structure.

I think the film that does it best without relying on outside sources was Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, and even then it had to break so many narrative film structures in order to do so. In order to fit all of that in the film, Kubrick had to make a movie about three separate stories, making it somewhat difficult for the audience to connect with any one human character within the film. (Heck, the first story within the film didn't even feature any humans!)

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sun May 22, 2011 12:28 am

Jimbo wrote: It seems like what all this boils down to is "film isn't philosophy so film shouldn't take inspiration from/dramatize philosophical concepts",
Not really. “Film isn’t philosophy so we shouldn’t treat it like it is,” strikes me as a more fitting starting point. The question here should be moreover, “what does the statement ‘film isn’t philosophy’ mean?” That would require us to define philosophy, which—as the thread before his demonstrated before its unreasonable nukage—is a rather difficult thing to do in the first place.

The rest of your post here is going off on some rant that I don’t even disagree with, except for the parts that were reactions to misinterpretations. (:|

Jimbo wrote: Funnily enough, I don't think philosophers would agree with either of you as they've been as influenced by the arts as artists have been influenced by philosophers. FWIW, I think film has a lot more in the way of being able to substantially present philosophy in comparison to, say, opera (considering half of its art lies in the unrepresentational realm of music), yet Nietzsche was influenced by Wagner and Kierkegaard by Mozart's Don Giovanni, and do you really think if you reduced the themes of Wagner's works or Don Giovanni they'd offer anything that was superficially philosophically substantial? No. Yet I'd wager that most philosophers realize something neither of you do, and that's that art and drama's (including film's) ability to provoke us to think about such things far outweighs the superficialities of its reductive themes. If that was good enough for them, I'd think you two would no better than to get all ridiculously snobbish on this topic.
This isn’t a big complaint, but I’d love to know how you go from my premises that roughly equate to

>most filmmakers aren’t philosophers, and many rarely succeed in conveying meaningful themes of reducible philosophical substance

to

>therefore, art and philosophy are totally unrelated and can in no way, shape, or form influence each other.

No one ever said “philosophy doesn’t influence art” or vice-versa.

FFF4E wrote: I do think films can be philosophical in some cases, but not often. The issue is both with the film structure and the filmmaker. The structure of film is set up in such a way that it really can't fully explore any thought outside of those that only take about 2 hours and 3 - 7 acts to explore. As a result, most films should only stick with simplistic thoughts or ideas that best suit this narrative structure. Philosophy is rarely one of those ideas best explored in 2 hours of 3 - 7 acts.
Well, I think Tarkovsky offers us a pretty impressive alternate method, but he was incredibly ambitious with his attempts, and as Jimbo has pointed out in the past, his method doesn’t work on everyone. The other thing is that it’s highly debatable as to whether Tarkovsky’s films are in themselves “philosophical”, and personally, I don’t believe they are. But that just ends up in the same tired problem of finding a meaningful and precise definition for the word "philosophy"--a word much like "art" in that it revels in a wonderful and frustrating vagueness.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Sun May 22, 2011 1:16 pm

Xard wrote:you said something about Oshii making a grave error about Descartes. It's been a while since I saw the film so I'm not sure what you mean

In one scene, Batou said that Descartes believed humans and machines are same. Descartes thought the exact opposite: a human is identified with res cogitans, the thinking substance. A machine is made out of res extensa, the extended substance that is incapable of having the same properties like the thinking substance. Descartes makes a sharp divide in his dualist ontology. Going by Batou, Descates is a physical monist!

What Oshii did is a gross misunderstanding of Descartes - it's the equivalent of saying Nietzsche was a pious Christian!

Merridian wrote:The problem is that many times, filmmakers simply don't understand the material well enough to dramatize it, so they end up with a result that is a poorly thought out mess of pretentious nonsense. And in the few cases where the result isn't poorly thought out nonsense, it's generally just a case of stating the obvious in a very rudimentary and heavy-handed way (NGE).

NGE's message is a platitude. There's no philosophical depth to it and thus no satisfying intellectual payoff for the philosophically minded viewer. Someone may find the way of execution interesting and provoking, but this doesn't have anything do with philosophy and has more to do with film making.

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Sun May 22, 2011 5:08 pm

What isn't a platitude? Is there some point where a platitude becomes deep?

Xard seems to be saying that film as a medium is incapable of depth or truth on some fundamental level.

If depth is merely complexity in philosophical conceptions then I suppose it would be a lot harder for film to get anything across than just ordinary language, i.e. a lot harder but not impossible.

Since I first saw it, I have considered NGE to be a deep work, but Allemann thinks it speaks mainly platitudes. These, I suppose, could be listed and demonstrated to be trivial. Many of them come from the dialogue in 25/26 no doubt.

Yet the final scene in EoE always struck me as containing something indefinably profound, something I could never quite pin down with words. It could be pure sentiment or it could be a sign of depth.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sun May 22, 2011 11:09 pm

Oh god, I'm not jumping into this black hole. Philosophy students... ugh. In the interest of adding my two cents, though, I will say that I believe in the utmost that film, or any other fictional medium, is an excellent vehicle for philosophy, and philosophy, likewise, is most cogently presented through the lens of fiction (certainly many philosophers seem to think so). The notion that any artistic medium, let alone one with the versatility of film, is incapable of expressing a given theme or idea is patently absurd. And that is all I will say about that.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon May 23, 2011 12:31 am

Jimbo, let me just ask you this simple question which will probably require the sort of long-winded answer you're uniquely qualified to provide:

What philosophical message(s) do you think Eva is trying to express?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “Film and Video”