Javier Bardem to play Roland Deschain in 'Dark Tower' film

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

psychosis090
Adam

Javier Bardem to play Roland Deschain in 'Dark Tower' film

•      
  •      

Postby psychosis090 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:47 am

SOURCE: Deadline

Well, he's got the physique and the acting chops for the role (look at No Country For Old Men for example. Damn). Just age him up a bit with some makeup and he'll be right as rain.

Now the next question is: who's gonna play Walter?
You think ignorance is cute? Well, I suppose you think mental retardation is downright adorable! - Ed Wuncler, Sr.

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:10 am

Interesting. I just watched No Country for Old Men last week.

Doesn't Bardem have a noticeable accent? I remember hearing something about his slightly stilted speech as Chigurh being a result of him trying to suppress it. But then again, maybe he's gotten better in the years since then.
Last edited by BornIn1142 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:11 am

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT

WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WAHT WAHT WAHTTAWÅGM*ÄGVW

DARK TOWER FILM?!?!!?!?!?!?

OOOOOOHHHH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

:scanners_head: :scanners_head: :scanners_head: :scanners_head: :scanners_head: :scanners_head: :scanners_head: :scanners_head:

the mammoth adaptation of the Stephen King 7-novel series that’ll span three movies and a limited run TV series in between each film.

OH SWEET JESUS

OH SWEET JESUS

If they play their cards right we have LotR of this decade here :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

please don't fuck this up

psychosis090
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby psychosis090 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:29 am

View Original PostXard wrote:WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT

:scanners_head: :scanners_head: :scanners_head: :scanners_head: :scanners_head: :scanners_head: :scanners_head: :scanners_head:

OH SWEET JESUS

OH SWEET JESUS

If they play their cards right we have LotR of this decade here :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

EDIT: Aw shit, didn't see the quote you posted up there. Eh well.

2013 is going to be pretty interesting.
You think ignorance is cute? Well, I suppose you think mental retardation is downright adorable! - Ed Wuncler, Sr.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:13 am

Even with some editing of the story, this will take more than three films, that's for sure.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:31 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:Even with some editing of the story, this will take more than three films, that's for sure.

you missed the part about tv series between the films

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:36 am

Interweaving film releases and television tie-ins... Has something like this ever been done before?
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

psychosis090
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby psychosis090 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:53 am

I dunno. With some clever writing/adaptation, I'm sure it can be done. Just one layout for example:

- Film 1: The Gunslinger

Series 1: Drawing of The Three and The Wastelands

- Film 2: Wizard and Glass

Series 2: Wolves of The Calla and Song of Susannah

- Film 3: The Dark Tower

Drawing and Wastelands seem to be most suited to an episodic format (though what to do about Shardik on a TV budget....), but that might involve splitting the single 'season' into two separate 'chapters', so to speak. Who knows, maybe they'll end up commissioning another season if things go well!

Wolves and Susannah seem like the next best candidates for episodic storytelling. Then it's just Gunslinger, Wizard and Dark Tower for the feature films, as those, I think, will probably be considered the big 'event' parts of the saga. Nothing much happens in the first volume, granted, but it's still got to introduce the audience to Roland's world and capture their interest. The other two volumes I mentioned would probably also benefit from a feature film budget.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm

I love love LOVE the Dark Tower novels. Only second to Frank Herbert's original DUNE novels (F his son's lazy cash-ins) as my favorite book franchise.
But sadly, I can't see the films working.... at all. It's going to be a trilogy of three films with two TV seasons in between each film. Compelling concept but this franchise is being geared as BLOCKBUSTER entertainment which is the very last thing The Dark Tower franchise is.
The series is very hard R. I can't see things like a recovering junkie, Succubus rape, & so much more questionable content working in a PG-13 format.
Even more problematic the series is Weird with a capital WEIRD. It hops genres like nobodies business, there's multiple Harry Potter references (the Bad guys throw Snitches or whatever that winged Quidditch ball is), features a legless black woman who has multiple personalities (most of them incredibly racist) & in the later novels has STEPHEN KING himself as a leading character integral to the narrative. Not to mention a character from another King novel introduced in the 25th hour who defeats the grand Evil of the franchise in the most anti-climatic way possible.
It's weird & incredibly-meta. The only filmmaker working in Hollywood who I feel could do The Dark Tower franchise justice is Charlie Kaufman of all people. Maybe Frank Darabont because he is so adherent to King's original novels.
But who is the powerhouse pair bringing us this complex & unsentimental universe?

Director Ron Howard & screenwriter Akiva Goldsman.
Howard is a mediocre filmmaker who is only capable imitating Spielberg...badly.

And Goldsman- the sole screenwriter on The Dark Tower- gave us such "classics" as:
Angels & Demons
I Am Legend (that sure represented it's source novel)
The DaVinci Code
I'Robot
A Beautiful Mind (& A Terrible Film)
Lost In Space
&
Batman & Robin

I can't get excited about The Dark Tower films. They're undeniably going to be terrible & Dark-Tower-In-Name-Only Adaptations.
You know how critics often say "The movie was so bad I fell asleep during it"? I thought that was BS....until a friend took me to see The DaVinci Code.... and I actually DID fall asleep during it!

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:36 pm

Bring him back, amazing 80's hair-fro and everything. He's a damn good portrayal of RF if I ever saw one.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:34 pm

Tell me... what's the most you've ever lost on a coin toss?
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:50 pm

oh lawds

too bad the Dark Tower books are utterly crap after the first dozen pages or I'd be rereading them right now. Guess I'll reread the comic books instead...

Luckily the movies/series will be mercifully free of King's horrible attempts at Tolkienesque descriptive prose in elevated tone. Hopefully they also change the shitawful "and then Stephen King got hit by a truck" ending.

I kind of expect this to fail halfway through, though, regardless of whether it's any good or not...repeated shift in medium is going to restrict the hell out of the fanbase
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:54 pm

This could potentially be awesome.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:05 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:you missed the part about tv series between the films

That's what you get when you don't read the article in the first place. Sorry about that. :sweatdrop:

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:26 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT

OH SWEET JESUS

OH SWEET JESUS

first of all, calm down

secondly, the only films adapted from a Stephen King creation that are remotely good can be counted on two hands, Carrie, The Shining, Misery, The Running Man, The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile, everything else is either very disappointing in the end (i.e. Dolores Claiborne, Sleepwalkers) or are so laughably bad that MST3K should be resurrected from the dead just so they can be lampooned (i.e. Maximum Overdrive, practically every TV adaptation)

thirdly, it is being produced and directed by Ron Howard, he has not consecutively good movies since Apollo 13 was followed by Ransom, his last decent film Frost/Nixon was overrated but solid and next recent, decent movie was A Beautiful Mind, also overrated but solid

fourthly, what GP said
Last edited by THE Hal E. Burton 9000 on Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:27 pm

you guys sure know how to bring me down :dejected:

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:31 pm

^just trying to protect your expectations so you don't have Star Wars prequel experience of said expectations being quashed

I mean, I can and will defend Ron Howard for a film like Far and Away, but Howard has never taken on an epic project like this and I am concerned The Dark Tower under his directionship and production will be snore-worthy like most of his work has been over the last 10 or 15 years

sure, he could come out smelling like roses like Peter Jackson did with The LotR trilogy, but be careful not to give your hopes up
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:25 pm

I think Ron Howard's past films have only been tolerable because he seems to go with lame plots. His direction style honestly isn't remotely bad.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:56 pm

Like I said, Ron Howard is all types of wrong for Dark Tower. This isn't some young, still pretty fresh director with something to prove in epic scale filmmaking- like Christopher Nolan on Batman or Peter Jackson on Lord of the Rings. This is Ron F'ing Howard who has been an industry stalwart for over 30 years. He's shown who he has a filmmaker & that filmmaker is not wright for Dark Tower in any form. He's more suited to remaking The Dilemma again.
Hell, he's such a set Hollywood insider that Clint Howard has made a solid career out of just being RON HOWARD'S UGLY BROTHER!!!

Anywho, also like I mentioned earlier, the bigger concern is the writer. Akiva Goldsman is batting 0 at handling adaptations of previously existing material. Akiva is also a high level producer in Hollywood so he has the power to reject any script doctors.
To refresh the films he wrote based on previously existing material include:
Angels & Demons
I Am Legend (did he even read the book? I mean come on)
The Da Vinci Code
I, Robot (once again, I believe Goldsman only looked at the back cover of the book)
Lost In Space
Batman & Robin.

In terms of quality, Dark Tower is going to a King adaptation more in line with The Lawnmower Man & Thinner than The Shining or anything by Frank Darabont.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:46 am

View Original PostTHE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:secondly, the only films adapted from a Stephen King creation that are remotely good can be counted on two hands, Carrie, The Shining, Misery, The Running Man, The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile, everything else is either very disappointing in the end

I hope you forgot Stand By Me, because it is anything but disappointing.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Return to “Film and Video”