What are you watching right now? (tv series + see OP!)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:28 am

Started watching Archer.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:45 pm

I finally got myself to start watching the last season of Breaking Bad, after being really turned off by the exaggerated hype and way too long hiatus.

And what can I say? I (again) can't get enough of this awesome, yet not genius, show.

BTW. Am I the only one who observed several analogies to "scarface "? (This may sound incredibly stupid because I actually managed to avoid any kind of spoilers and it may already be common knowledge without me knowing )
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:10 am

Eric Jonrosh's The Spoils of Babylon

If more TV channels took a page from IFC, there would be no shortage of quality programming and a healthy dearth of crap such as "Jersey Whore" and "Schmuck Dynasty"

This is probably the best thing i've seen since Breaking Bad ended

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:53 pm

Boardwalk Empire, Season 3

It's better than Season 1, but not as strong as Season 2 yet.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

kuzronk
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kuzronk » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:10 am

Been watching breaking bad lately. Watched season 1 ep 2-the end of season 2 in the past couple of days but I can't watch breaking bad on my nan's slow atm internet.

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:45 am

Started watching Shameless (US version) and its great. I love William H. Macy's character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJOO9I9kvwo
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:10 pm

Only TV show I'm watching right now is TRUE DETECTIVE. Feels like a great 8 hour movie which makes sense since it's all coming from the vision of one director.

I love the idea of this series being an anthology thing - new cast, location & crew fore next season - but HBO is gonna have to look really hard to find a team that can pull something off this good again.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:27 am

The Wire season 3...

SPOILER: Show
Damn, they done killed off my favorite character. I guess Stringer really was slipping pretty hard after McNulty got to Brianna regarding D'angelo's death, though.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:21 am

Anyone else catch last weeks all new Walking Dead?

I am so glad it's finally back on.
My life is now whole again once more
:D

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:26 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Only TV show I'm watching right now is TRUE DETECTIVE. Feels like a great 8 hour movie which makes sense since it's all coming from the vision of one director.

Got caught up on that the other day. Best thing on TV siince Breaking Bad.

Warning though... anyone who can't deal with certain posters' opressive negativity is almost certainly going to have issues with Rust Chole's monologues on the utter futility of existence.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:53 am

Watched episode 1 of Sukeban Deka.

'Twas good. Saki is a badass.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:09 am

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Watched episode 1 of Sukeban Deka.

'Twas good. Saki is a badass.

Which season are you watching?
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:56 am

View Original PostOz wrote:Which season are you watching?

I Think the first one, with Yuki Saito as Saki. It was just listed as "Sukeban Deka" on the site I'm watching it on. It was the one where Saki first got her steel yo-yo.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:04 am

Yeah, that's the first season. Too bad it has never been fully subbed and I've never come across a RAW upload of the rest of the season. The first 10 episodes are basically standalone, but episode 11 begins a longer big boss arc that is left incomplete as the subs end at episode 15 (with the whole season being 24 episodes). In addition I've also seen the two films based on the series and I am currently going through the second season as it is being subbed. The second season has a different cast and storyline, not to mention the budget being notably bigger and the entire season has an obvious main antagonist unlike the first one. The first season is a lot of fun, but I actually prefer the second season based on what I have seen as the lead actress is more fitting for the role (yet she doesn't lack the campiness and clumsiness of the first season), the lead characters have good chemistry and the combination of hilariously random direction and ridiculous writing is perfected by the beginning of the second season.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:43 pm

Hmm. The site I was watching it on seems to have all 24 episodes. Whether they're all subbed I don't know.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:30 pm

So, True Detective is over and man... what a letdown. I mean it was solidly acted of course, but the last episode felt really hollow and bland compared to the earlier ones, the final clue was unbelievably vague, it wasn't nearly as clever as everyone seemed to think it might be, and I was annoyed that after all the hard-edged flavor of the show the creator flinched at the end and gave us an annoying happy ending.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:04 am

True Detective, S1E1-3: Brilliant TV. It’s far too fucking rare a substantial crime drama series comes along more akin to something like The Silence of the Lambs, as opposed to the endless litany of television run-of-the-mill rot like NCIS, Law & Order, CSI: [Insert city name here] and so on, so forth. That means a gritty, marvellously acted (as Nemz said above) psychodrama that is richly layered and thought provoking.

First few episodes are a genius slow-burn that pull you into the case, characters and setting. Set in the southern coastal plains of Louisiana, the body of a dead girl is discovered bound to a tree in a cane field in an almost reverent pose, deer antlers tied to her head as a make-shift crown and odd dreamcatcher-like trinkets adorning the branches hinting at some kind of bizarre ritual. “This isn’t the first, and it probably isn’t going to be the last…”

As with most viewers my initial praise goes towards McConaughey’s character ‘Rust’. Dude’s got the part down pat - from the way he talks right down to that stilted but ponderous walk. Also, his jaded and nihilistic ramblings, and his parter’s (Martin Hart, played by Woody Harrelson) reactions to, are entertainment gold.

:lol:

Very much so looking forward to watching the rest of the episodes this week/weekend, as it’s not often I genuinely enjoy a new TV series.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:17 am

CURRENT TV SHOW LOG
- agents of shield s1
- almost human s1
- hannibal s2
- justified s5
- the blacklist s1

Recently finished
House of cards s2
True detective s1

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:True Detective, S1E1-3: Brilliant TV. It’s far too fucking rare a substantial crime drama series comes along more akin to something like The Silence of the Lambs, as opposed to the endless litany of television run-of-the-mill rot like NCIS, Law & Order, CSI: [Insert city name here] and so on, so forth. That means a gritty, marvellously acted (as Nemz said above) psychodrama that is richly layered and thought provoking.

First few episodes are a genius slow-burn that pull you into the case, characters and setting. Set in the southern coastal plains of Louisiana, the body of a dead girl is discovered bound to a tree in a cane field in an almost reverent pose, deer antlers tied to her head as a make-shift crown and odd dreamcatcher-like trinkets adorning the branches hinting at some kind of bizarre ritual. “This isn’t the first, and it probably isn’t going to be the last…”

As with most viewers my initial praise goes towards McConaughey’s character ‘Rust’. Dude’s got the part down pat - from the way he talks right down to that stilted but ponderous walk. Also, his jaded and nihilistic ramblings, and his parter’s (Martin Hart, played by Woody Harrelson) reactions to, are entertainment gold.

:lol:

Very much so looking forward to watching the rest of the episodes this week/weekend, as it’s not often I genuinely enjoy a new TV series.

Oh bro you are not prepared man, no spoiler but the show sticks the landing 100%
Monumental series.

If you liked this show, I highly recommend a british mini series LUTHER staring idris Elba (Prometheus, thor 1-2) as the lead detective character and Ruth Wilson as a sultry redhead psychopath.
Specifically it's 3 seasons, first has 6 episodes and the other 2 have 4 episodes.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:30 am

Well, just finished True Detective and have to say; that finale was freakin’ fantastic. I like that they shirked away from the gimmick of a cheap plot twist, flip or any obvious writing and placed the emphasis instead on the characters themselves. The entire section at Childress’ property was thoroughly chilling, wrought with plenty of suspense, tension, terror and the atmosphere was superb. As a climax, it’s emotionally satisfying and provides just enough content on the abstract evil of the Yellow King and “Carcosa” to close the lid on the 17 year case yet retain plenty of the mystery. The prospect of some of the killers still being out there is a downright scary afterthought too, but as Hart says, “We were never going to get them all. That’s not the kind of world this is.”

Being an anthology, I have no idea how the second series is going to fare as they've set the bar incredibly high here. Will be tough going trying to top it, but I look forward to what writer and showrunner Nic Pizzolatto has in store for the next story.

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:If you liked this show, I highly recommend a british mini series LUTHER staring idris Elba (Prometheus, thor 1-2) as the lead detective character and Ruth Wilson as a sultry redhead psychopath.

I recall seeing ads for this a number of months ago when one of the seasons aired here. Unfortunately I missed it but will keep the recommendation in mind.

:thumbsup:
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:55 pm

I spent all night and most of today mainlining Hannibal from the premiere to the first episode. Some of the most filmic television I've ever seen, and Mads Mikkelsen's Hannibal is absolutely... delectable.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Return to “Film and Video”