What are you watching right now? (tv series + see OP!)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:51 am

Me and two friends of mine decided to go for some craptasticness of 80's horror:

We're watching all seven Elm Street movies, though not in one sitting. Watched 1 & 2 last weekend, going to watch more next weekend.

Actually, first one wasn't so bad, but the drop in quality in second was ... "oh my god. I say, OH MY GOD THIS IS AWFUL. Give me another beer NOW IcantstandthisotherwisepleaseMOREBEER!"

And sure, we're loving the so-bad-it's-good shit here.

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:25 pm

i started watching Weeds a few weeks ago, now i'm on season 6.

it became less cool when it started focusing more on mexicans than drugs.
i want rebuild

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:17 am

Started watching Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated. It's quite amusing, and I like the art style a lot.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:38 pm

I finished watching season 5 of Doctor Who. I do like Matt Smith as the Doctor, but it seemed at various points that Smith was portraying the character a little too hyper. The episodes I liked best were "Amy's Choice" & "The Lodger."

subAtomic
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby subAtomic » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:24 am

Just finished watching "Wild At Heart". I'm working through David Lynch's catalog, most of which I've never seen. Watched "Blue Velvet" last night, which I loved.

Blue Velvet - 8/10
Wild At Heart - 7.5/10

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:00 am

Watched the new episode of The Vampire Diaries. For an opener it wasn't half bad, but I'd been hoping for a lot more.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:50 am

Watched this documentary on NHK about 9/11 and racial prejudice facing the Nisei and American Muslims, with Ken Watanabe talking with the former Secretary of Tranportation Mineta in between.

Great, but it's probably missing the other side of the coin: why there are still some "Japanese Only" bars?

Furthermore, as this is an NHK production, I'm not surprised about their mild slant.

Dirty Mick
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Dirty Mick » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:42 pm

Just got done watching Natural Born Killers, and wow this movie is crazy. It's trippy, extremely violent, and over all chaotic. For anyone who wants to feel like they just been punched in the face.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:30 am

I took Bomby's advice and watched Daria. Yes, all of it.

That was a week and a half well spent.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:37 am

Daria is amazing. I feel like if someone was able to see my inner personalities a la Lau Ching Wan's character in Mad Detective one of the most prominent ones would probably look and act like Daria.

Also, new season of Parks & Recreation ftw.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:32 pm

So, how about that Little Shop of Horror hot tub episode on American Dad last night?

Wasn't that one of their best episodes ever?
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Dirty Mick
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Dirty Mick » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:09 am

I watched the first season of The Walking Dead, four hours of crazy-awesome zombie action. It didn't hurt this is the first zombie story I really cared about the charaters either. Honestly if only other channels would be at lest as half as ballsy as AMC and cabel would be worth the pay.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:23 am

Spiritual Teacher Kyouko Odagiri, a real life TV comedy-drama adapted from a manga. I like its idea, particularly the last episode, of what positive role lies can play in improving personal lives although the plot can be over-the-top and contrived. And Satomi Ishihara is so beautiful.

http://asianmediawiki.com/Spiritual_Teacher,_Kyoko_Odagiri
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:06 pm

Just marathoned through The Prisoner. It's a pity old-school TV productions were always so schizophrenic; it feels like three or four cases of "The Final Messenger" bookending a dozen of "Jet Alone". There's some really fantastic stuff in there, Free for All; Dance of the Dead; Change of Mind; Once Upon a Time (dear god, Once Upon a Time), and right up against it is breathtakingly awful crap like Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling, Hammer into Anvil, Living in Harmony. And right up against that there's just completely lolwut episodes that aren't even particularly bad, just lolwut (Girl Who Was Death, Girl Who Was Death, and Girl Who Was Death). And the last episode, notwithstanding the amazing "All You Need Is Love" sequences, is far from good enough to follow Once Upon a Time. Still, the mere fact that the series managed to retain some sort of coherence for Six's character throughout is impressive enough.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:23 am

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:So, how about that Little Shop of Horror hot tub episode on American Dad last night?

Wasn't that one of their best episodes ever?
Definitely.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:06 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:right up against it is breathtakingly awful crap... Hammer into Anvil, Living in Harmony

You take that back.

Also, the history of how the final episode was written is pretty remarkable. Patrick McGoohan had been expecting a second season, and when he didn't get it, basically wrote it in one night in an attempt to synthesize all of the themes he'd been exploring in the series.
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:29 am

I'll maybe back down from Hammer into Anvil since it's pretty fun (although I can't imagine where the Village would dig up somebody as monumentally idiotic as HiA's Number Two). But Living in Harmony? Good lord what
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

zombies

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:23 pm

watched the movie Selling the dead last night, never thought grave robbers the Illuminati and zombies could make a decent movie, I was very surprised.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:47 pm

Just watched Back To School.

"Violent ground acquisition games such as football is in fact a crypto-fascist metaphor for nuclear war."
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:49 pm

Joe D'Amato's Anthropophagus. A boring, mediocre movie that starts gaining momentum in the last fifteen minutes.

Return to “Film and Video”