Pacific Rim

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:50 pm

Great image, I haven't seen a comparison of those particular mechs before. At this point, though, the gundam is looking like one of the easiest ones to construct/power/pilot.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:10 am

Wikipedia says Pacific Rim doubled its budget. So I guess if Del Toro decides he wants to make another one, they'll let him.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:18 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=D-zCQGA4fdY

Grandpa and his two Japanese muses. :D

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:09 pm

The cycle of sequel-itis never ends. The nerds who were praising Pacific Rim as a beacon of originality & now are clamouring for a sequel don't get the irony they're pushing.

Step 1: I'm tired of sequels, reboots & remakes. Gord, can't Hollywood get any original ideas?
Step 2: Hey, this new movie isn't a sequel, reboot or remake! How cool & original is that? The will be the bright spot in a season of sequels!
Step 3: Hey, that movie was really good! I can't wait for the sequels!
Step 4: I'm tired of sequels, reboots & remakes. Gord, can't Hollywood get any original ideas?
Rinse, wash, repeat this cycle again & again & again continually by adding new franchises that need to be continued & continued until you reach a period where only franchises remain.

I loved Pacific Rim. It was a fun, enjoyable movie. I was & still am one of it's biggest supporters. But, I do not need to see it sequelized. The film had the balls to end on a note of finality. They closed the rift. The Jaegers were all destroyed. There was no "fade in on a dark trench deep in the ocean where a one inch hole of the rift remains". Let the film end. Let it be a movie that people can share with future generations & NOT have to say "The originals are good but the sequels get worse as it goes along".

sweet-d
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sweet-d » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:13 pm

I would rather see more prequel graphic novels released rather than a sequel/prequel.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:35 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:The film had the balls to end on a note of finality. They closed the rift. The Jaegers were all destroyed. There was no "fade in on a dark trench deep in the ocean where a one inch hole of the rift remains". Let the film end. Let it be a movie that people can share with future generations & NOT have to say "The originals are good but the sequels get worse as it goes along".

Yeah. I was almost upset when I the end credits scene popped up because I thought it was gonna contain sequel bait. (Something like the sequel bait in Godzilla 1998 or something.) But simply showing Ron Perlman cut his way out was a much more enjoyable cherry on the top of a movie that had completely finished telling its story.

Thankfully, the low performance of grossly high-budget films in general should steer any thoughts away from a sequel. After 2015's year of nothing but sequels and film adaptations of comic-books and video games, I firmly believe audiences will throw their hands up in the air and say "I'm done! I can't handle it anymore." Movies will tank and a studio or two will plunge. There will be no going back. It'll be like how the mass amounts of musicals sank the classic studio system of Hollywood back in the 50's.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:14 pm

...Did no one else think the Kaiju screams in the credits were anything BUT leaving an opening for a sequel?

Not that I'd be complaining if we got Zeta Jeagers of course.

Anyways Pacific Rim is easily the best film about Global Warming. You needed more giant robots, Al Gore.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:58 pm

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:...Did no one else think the Kaiju screams in the credits were anything BUT leaving an opening for a sequel?

The only sequel I can see coming from this is Hannibal Chou getting into a knife fight with the Gypsy Danger, which I might actually watch.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:34 pm

"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:47 pm

Nice, I was expecting it to be out way later, around December say. I'm looking forward to it.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:38 pm

some where saying November but I glad its sooner rather then later
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:11 am

Watched it. Fight scenes and synching were excellent, but it's a shame we didn't get to see more of the other Jaeger pilots. Crimson Typhoon and Cherno Alpha were unceremoniously dumped rather than having a chance to fight together with Gypsy Danger, which was pretty pathetic. Just imagine a four Jaegar - two Kaiju dustup.

Apart from losing all the chances to have extra fun and the usual lot of nonsensoleum, some parts of the movie were like Independence Day redux - especially having a couple of nerd scientists fight against a bunch of alien invaders. Apart from that and a few other dumb things (F-22s trying to strafe those monstrosities? No wonder they were lost so easily!) the movie was quite entertaining.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:48 am

I hate my IPad.

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:There's a funny little scene if you stick around for the credits. I make a point of waiting with movies just in case there's something after the fact.

I thought Chou would pop out the moment the baby started choking on him, thinking "Yeah, they'll play off because it's a baby, and its real teeth haven't come in it, so he was mostly just being just sucked and pressed on."

But then the scene ended, with no hands or anything starting to feel its way out, and the scientist silently holding a torn up shoe. I was left mouthing "OMG, they did it. They actually killed Ron. YOU BASTARDS!... I wonder if this the none-too-subtle way of telling us there won't be a Hellboy 3?"

So of course, glad I stuck it out for the last bit. B)

Anyway, just saw it last night. Loved it, the action was great, the multitude of jäger designs is just crack for my geek impulses (images and official kill counts for any interested), and the full visualization of mecha in a live action context was pretty much everything I wanted. I'm personally not liking what this movie means for the ELAM trilogies' chances, in terms of its success or cornering the market on just how to adapt these things, but having this is better than nothing at all.

Just two problems:

1.The oft-mentioned swords, and I was glad to see HISHE get in on this, though I wouldn't take the thinking quite as far. I don't think there was really any ground under the sea with quite that advantage.

2. Where is there God-dang fire-support?!? Some harrying gunships or a well-timed artillery barrage or some PT boats with torpedoes for Christ sakes could have saved the Chinese and Russian crews, maybe even kept them in the fight. We clearly see it doesn't take much to distract these things, the two Aussies pilots manage to piss them off with what looked like the equivalent of flare guns, and just in time to keep it from noticing the approaching Gipsy-Danger.

But no, the only I fight I recall where the Jagers and conventional forces worked in tandem was the back flash-Japan brawl.

It was the lack of knives, and an interlinked, entrenched city bastion of MLRSs and gun turrets that convinced me few, if any elements in this film were Eva inspired. Even Mako's blue hair tips seem to be a coincidence now.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:31 pm

Where is there God-dang fire-support?!? Some harrying gunships or a well-timed artillery barrage or some PT boats with torpedoes for Christ sakes could have saved the Chinese and Russian crews, maybe even kept them in the fight. We clearly see it doesn't take much to distract these things, the two Aussies pilots manage to piss them off with what looked like the equivalent of flare guns, and just in time to keep it from noticing the approaching Gipsy-Danger.

In the canon, it would've been desirable to just bring down a barrage, but the kaiju's toxic innards are deadly that contamination could bring more damage to the area than the beast itself.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:23 pm

Varan Bon Ziller
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Varan Bon Ziller » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:37 pm

I'm still trying to understand the those who so vehemently try pass this off as an Evangelion clone...
"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:57 pm

Only saw the film once (hope to rewatch it in Bluray quality sometime), but as far as I'm concerned, any potential similarities to Eva are surface level at most. I'm sure at least some of the film staff know about Eva, but still.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Varan Bon Ziller
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Varan Bon Ziller » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:44 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Only saw the film once (hope to rewatch it in Bluray quality sometime), but as far as I'm concerned, any potential similarities to Eva are surface level at most. I'm sure at least some of the film staff know about Eva, but still.

The troubling thing are the multitude of people who insist on them being "too similar".

Not only that-but using out and out lies by saying PR stemmed from the dropped production of the live action eva movie. Which is quickly and easily debunked by actually bothering to do some research.
"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:22 pm

Pacific Rim is an "Evangelion clone" only in the sense that if Hollywood did an Americanized movie version of Evangelion, it would look pretty much look like this film, except it would have been a mutilated Eva story with poorly executed "gritty" tones resulting from adaptation sickness rather than a fun stand-alone summer flick.

This says more about what Hollywood would do to an Eva film if they got one rather than it does the work of Eva itself.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:26 am

View Original PostVaran Bon Ziller wrote:I'm still trying to understand the those who so vehemently try pass this off as an Evangelion clone...

I think it's better chalked down to Eva fanaticism.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Return to “Film and Video”