Pacific Rim

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Varan Bon Ziller
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Varan Bon Ziller » Sat May 04, 2013 4:23 am

View Original PostMoroNoKimi wrote:As soon as I saw the trailer with the use of a battleship as a weapon I couldn't wait to see it.

It looks like it'll be great for Eva fans without actually trying to BE Eva and thus pissing all of us summarily off.

What are you talking about?

I mean this is soo totally Eva-right?!
"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat May 04, 2013 9:49 am

The funny part is that Eva did the whole ship-as-weapon thing right.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Varan Bon Ziller
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Varan Bon Ziller » Sat May 04, 2013 6:04 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:The funny part is that Eva did the whole ship-as-weapon thing right.

Do you mean "better" or "slightly more in the realm of physics"?
"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat May 04, 2013 6:25 pm

View Original PostVaran Bon Ziller wrote:Do you mean "better" or "slightly more in the realm of physics"?

Meh. Both apply. It's a reasonably good stab at it given the circumstances.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Varan Bon Ziller
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Varan Bon Ziller » Sat May 04, 2013 7:31 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Meh. Both apply. It's a reasonably good stab at it given the circumstances.

Which are?

Elect G-Max
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Elect G-Max » Mon May 06, 2013 11:16 am

Well, a real-world oil tanker has only enough tensile strength to not fall to pieces when perfectly upright on the surface of a body of water, kind of like how you can stack a bunch of lego bricks on top of each other to make a six-foot-tall stack of bricks that will stay afloat and intact on the surface of a body of water but completely fall apart if you try to use it like a sword.

The little gunship in EoE actually fell apart just from being taken out of the water... like an actual gunship would.

Eva physics 1, Del Toro physics 0.
"Whatever the story or the development of the characters, I made them without a plan... We only started working on the next script once the previous one was done." - Anno, 1996

"Sometimes, putting your toothbrush in its holder upside down can express your feelings towards life in general, your secret desire to commit suicide, the feelings for your long-lost mother that you never got to know, and your favorite color. But sometimes that toothbrush is simply a toothbrush." - Nuclear Lunchbox

Cobui
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cobui » Mon May 06, 2013 11:00 pm

I wish people would stop trying to compare the tanker scene to EoE. It's not EoE. This movie probably won't give a crap about realistic tensile strength in any way, shape, or form. This is the kind of movie that cheerfully says "physics can go fuck itself for the next two hours". Imagine the scene happening in Mazinger Z, or one of the later Godzilla films. Would the ship crumble? Probably not. And those are what this movie is taking its inspiration from. Those are what you should go in expecting. This movie is firmly planted in Super Robot science - don't try and compare it to anything that isn't.

That said, am I the only one who remembers the "hopscotch" scene in episode 7?
avvie: I should buy a boat.

Varan Bon Ziller
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Varan Bon Ziller » Tue May 07, 2013 6:52 pm

View Original PostElect G-Max wrote:Well, a real-world oil tanker has only enough tensile strength to not fall to pieces when perfectly upright on the surface of a body of water, kind of like how you can stack a bunch of lego bricks on top of each other to make a six-foot-tall stack of bricks that will stay afloat and intact on the surface of a body of water but completely fall apart if you try to use it like a sword.

The little gunship in EoE actually fell apart just from being taken out of the water... like an actual gunship would.

Eva physics 1, Del Toro physics 0.

Because accurate physics is the appeal of this movie.

:facepalm:

MoroNoKimi
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MoroNoKimi » Wed May 08, 2013 2:35 pm

Oh play nice, you lot. I think the point being made was that EoE did attempt to adhere to the normal laws of physics with its instance of a battleship being used as a weapon, and that Pacific Rim's use of it is not/will not.

However that said I have no reason to believe that Pacific Rim will even be trying to adhere to normal laws of physics, and thus a 1:1 comparison is pointless.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sat May 11, 2013 7:32 pm

"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun May 12, 2013 2:28 am

Requires you to install "Unity Web Player" which I'd never heard of before. I doubt it lets you include a tiger face on the chest, anyway.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun May 12, 2013 5:30 pm

I loaded it up and I couldn't put an extra arm sticking out of my robot's crotch, so I consider it a failure.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed May 15, 2013 5:18 am

The Asylum continues to amaze.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TVpQmZmKNmo[/url]

Varan Bon Ziller
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Varan Bon Ziller » Thu May 16, 2013 1:19 pm

Final Trailer.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5guMumPFBag[/url]

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu May 16, 2013 2:30 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:The Asylum continues to amaze.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TVpQmZmKNmo[/url]

I realize they were never in the business of hiding their lack of creativity. (People can't confuse you for something else if you look too different.) But you'd think they'd at try to hide their lack of budget these days.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu May 16, 2013 8:05 pm

View Original PostVaran Bon Ziller wrote:Final Trailer.

It's a good trailer but I'm getting kind of tired of the "We thought aliens would come from the stars..." and the "Canceling the apocalypse" lines. They've been used so much in the trailers at this point I can't help but sigh when I hear them anymore. Especially that canceling the apocalypse line, I seriously am not a fan of that.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:10 pm

View Original PostVaran Bon Ziller wrote:Final Trailer.

1. Anybody else get the sneaking suspicion that Del Toro chose the name "Jaeger" because of its resemblance to "Eva"? Seriously, I almost thought that's what was said in the trailer.
2. I saw that "Go big or go extinct line coming from a mile away! :lol:
3. Jurassic Park roar? Really?
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu May 16, 2013 8:15 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:1. Anybody else get the sneaking suspicion that Del Toro chose the name "Jaeger" because of its resemblance to "Eva"? Seriously, I almost thought that's what was said in the trailer.

It means "hunter" so probably not. It's got a pretty long pedigree in movies and film and such.

That aside, every preview manages to unsell me on this flick a little more. They're like anti-hype for me. At this point I don't even think I'll bother seeing it in theaters, if at all. The problem isn't that it's an Eva knockoff; the problem is that it's so damn formulaic that it can't help but suck. Hopefully I'm wrong and people enjoy it, but I think I'm gonna pass.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Thu May 16, 2013 8:47 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:1. Anybody else get the sneaking suspicion that Del Toro chose the name "Jaeger" because of its resemblance to "Eva"?

You can't be serious.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu May 16, 2013 9:51 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:You can't be serious.

Mostly joking with that point. I figured it was a stretch, but the fact that I literally thought he said "Eva Program" for a few seconds left me a bit surprised.

Thanks for the definition, Bagheera! The naming makes a lot more sense now....
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Return to “Film and Video”