Fondness for Cartoon Network

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Fondness for Cartoon Network

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:10 pm

I started watching Cartoon Network in th late 90's and for a bit of the early 00's. Dexter's Laboratory was the best - unfortunately, the full series has yet to see a DVD release.
Voluntary Illusion.

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:19 pm

I miss Beast Wars, but looking back, holy shit that CGI provides Ratatoing with fierce competition.
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:27 pm

First season is out on DVD...oh, you meant full series. Yeah, you're right. Eh...

Also, live action is on Cartoon Network. [Insert rage here]
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:40 pm

I use to watch Cartoon Network a lot back in the day, but now I don’t watch it at all.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:05 pm

I was surprised when I recently learned how few people watch Cartoon Network. It averages between one and three million viewers per new episode of each show.

Cartoon Network cartoons were never my favorites as a child, but I'm currently very fond of Adventure Time and Regular Show and don't watch cartoons on Disney Channel or Nickelodeon at all aside from the occasional Spongebob.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:05 pm

I watched CN way back when it only showed older cartoons, for a time it was the only channel I watched as a little kid

but then it started doing original programming, and at first I liked some of it, like Space Ghost Coast to Coast, but as the 1990's wore on, stuff like Powerpuff Girls and Ed, Edd and Eddy drove me away

I only got reinterested for few years in the aughts when anime was being shown, and it introduced me to Evangelion, so I will always be grateful to CN for that

however, most everything else on there sucks now, and I hate how CN is yet another casualty in what I long ago dubbed MTV's Disease, what happens on cable/satellite TV when the parent comglomerate of a channel figures it should push away its original audience and goes in a totally different (and almost always WRONG) direction in programming for the alleged ratings

I stopped watching CN at all around the time Robot Chicken stopped being funny (I wish it stayed as funny as this [yeeeessss, that pleases me] or this gold [Captaaaaaainnn Plaaaaneeeet!!!!]), which was around the time the economy cratered in 2007, and nothing else on [as] has ever been as good, though The Boondocks has come close
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:16 pm

Yeah, CN is shit now. I used watch all my toons there, including Ed, Edd, n Eddy, Cow and Chicken, Dexter's Laboratory, Megas XLR, Code Lyoko, I Am Weasel, and most of my anime favs during Toonami and Adult Swim.
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:32 pm

View Original PostShogo-Kun wrote:Cow and Chicken,...I Am Weasel

As decent as those shows were when I was 8-9 years old, to mention them in the same sentence now would be to make one or the other redundant, since they are more or less the same.
Voluntary Illusion.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:38 pm

CN isn't completely terrible nowadays.

Regular Show and Adventure Time manage to get a few laughs out of me.

Besides they play reruns of Ed, Edd, n Eddy from time to time and that always makes me a happy camper, even the episodes where they go to school.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:31 am

From what I can tell the people who say CN currently sucks gave up on it a while ago and haven't experienced its recent wave of goodness. Flapjack, Adventure Time, and Regular Show are easily recommendable. Sym-Bionic Titan is easily recommendable to mecha aficionados.

Ten years from now (probably much sooner) people will nostalgically reminisce about the good old days when Cartoon Network was still GOOD and showed Adventure Time and Regular Show.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:25 am

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:Sym-Bionic Titan is easily recommendable to mecha aficionados.

I saw five minutes of that on network television the other day, it looked surprisingly decent and reminded me that Cartoon Network is capable of producing decent sci-fi cartoons outside of Ben 10.
Voluntary Illusion.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:22 am

When I discovered Cartoon Network my life changed forever pretty much. I absolutely loved Dexter's lab, Courage, PPG, Ed Edd & Eddy Cow & Chicken/Weasel etc. much more than the oldschool cartoons. I remember getting pissed when the new season of Dexter's lab changed the art style and they even mentioned it in the ads for it, lol. The 8 hour Ed Edd & Eddy marathon was an experience :tongue:

Too bad when I moved out of the US and to Israel CN was only alive for a few years before getting canceled..

Whenever I took a look at the newer generation of CN cartoons (that foster home one for example) I couldn't get into them and I just cherish the first generation of original CN cartoons.

Although nowadays I've moved on to mature cartoons for mature people such as myself.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:18 am

My first English lesson came from watching Cartoon Network. I miss the old cartoons like Dexter's Laboratory, Johnny Quest, Flintstones, Cow & Chicken, etc. Have the impression that it has umped the shark since then.

Jessemon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Jessemon » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:38 am

I grew up on Cartoon Network. A lot of my friends were Nick kids, but I was firmly CN. Time for a nostalgia trip!!

Aside from a few classics that I loved (Tom&Jerry, Scooby Doo, Loony Tunes), my roots are mostly in the late 90's.

Courage the Cowardly Dog, Dexter's Lab, Ed Edd n Eddy, Johnny Bravo, The Powerpuff Girls, Cow and Chicken, SAMURAI mothering fucking JACK, the Justice League, etc, were all awesome shows.

And of course, Toonami. For a while it was in the afternoon and had a robot host who piloted a space ship and got his own adventures occasionally. That's where (for better or for worse) I got into anime. Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, the cheesy awesomeness that was ZOIDS, Gundam (Wing and G). Once Toonami got a late night session (Adult Swim), I watched the original Gundam and most of the 008th squad, Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, Outlaw Star (still one of my personal favs), InuYasha, and of course, Cowboy Bebop (which was, tbh, my first anime LOVE).

Without going into a huge long rant (because I could), I would just like to say Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls and Samurai Jack are IMO three of the best cartoons ever created. Most people agree about Dexter, but if you are on the edge about TPG, go watch "The Beat-Alls" episode and come back to me. Samurai Jack is just awesome. Even as a 22 year old, I can still watch Samurai Jack and be highly entertained.
"Your truth can be changed simply by the way you accept it. That's how fragile the truth for a human is." Hideaki Anno

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:40 am

Cartoon Network is overrated

Toonami is overrated

Nickelodeon is overrated

suck it up, amerifags :bigguns:

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:56 am

View Original PostJessemon wrote:but if you are on the edge about TPG

Probably because PPG is like the "girliest" amongst them, at surface level. But I sure loved the hell out of it. It was also much more violent than you'd think, I particularly remember a certain ep where Bubbles goes apeshit and breaks a horn off of a monster and STABS IT THROUGH THE BACK OF THE MOUTH WITH IT THUS KILLING IT

Xard wrote:Cartoon Network is overrated

Toonami is overrated

Nickelodeon is overrated

Hah TDSA you're such a xard! Woops, I mean card. Freudian slip lol

Oh wait..

Jessemon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Jessemon » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:03 pm

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:Probably because PPG is like the "girliest" amongst them, at surface level. But I sure loved the hell out of it. It was also much more violent than you'd think, I particularly remember a certain ep where Bubbles goes apeshit and breaks a horn off of a monster and STABS IT THROUGH THE BACK OF THE MOUTH WITH IT THUS KILLING IT

Hah TDSA you're such a xard! Woops, I mean card. Freudian slip lol

Oh wait..

Speaking of which (though this is more sad than violent), there was also an episode where they try to make a 4th sister, but they do it wrong and she is hideous and possibly semi-retarded, and she ends up dieing really dramatically at the end of the episode >_> Yeesh.

View Original PostXard wrote:Cartoon Network is overrated

Toonami is overrated

Nickelodeon is overrated

Is that smiley face holding dildos?
"Your truth can be changed simply by the way you accept it. That's how fragile the truth for a human is." Hideaki Anno

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:09 pm

used to love Cartoon Network and pretty much stopped tuning in during the mid 2000s
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:14 pm

I stopped watching CN around 2006. It just got too imature for me. I don't even know what channel it is anymore.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:13 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Cartoon Network is overrated

Toonami is overrated

Nickelodeon is overrated

Although I grew up with those channels, gotta side with the Finland guy on this.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Return to “Film and Video”