[Film] Most satisfying movie you have seen recently [2]

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I'd start with The Children and work forward since his '44-'52 period is often considered one of the best runs of any director.

I hadn't heard about that before. Thanks for the rec.

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Kagemusha is one of Kurosawa's most fascinating and undoubtedly most overlooked

Couldn't agree more. Before you mentioned about Kagemusha's quality earlier in this thread, I was under the impression that it was only a lesser effort before Ran.

Eva Yojimbo wrote:In many ways, it's more Shakespearean than Kurosawa's Shakespeare adaptations.

That's interesting. I guess I should finally read Shakespeare's plays like I've been planning to for months now.

Bomby von Bombsville wrote:Tsai has a very simple style. What's great about Tsai's simplicity, is that he uses it to its full advantage to portray complex emotional situations.

Well, there's a reason why Jimbo and I keep babbling about Tsai's minimalism in this thread. :lol: How did you get to see The Hole, by the way? I would probably give an arm and a leg to see the film.

---

Yesterday I decided to watch Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo for the third time. It seems the more I watch it, the more I'm impressed - even though it's not the sort of film that slowly sinks into your consciousness. After that I did another rewatch: Kim Ki-Duk's Samaritan Girl. Today, I decided to watch Wim Wenders' Ozu/Tokyo documentary, Tokyo-Ga, which turned out to be the best documentary I've ever seen.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:46 pm

Blind Husbands [1919; Erich von Stroheim; 91 min; US]

8.0/10
SPOILER: Show
Blind Husbands was Stroheim's first directorial hit and established him as one of the most well-respected directors of the silent era; already dealing with sexual themes that weren't quite taboo. The film deals with the arrival of a husband, wife, and a young army officer to a small resort nestled in the deep mountains. It opens with an ominous title card about the responsibility husbands carry for neglecting their wives that force them into the arms of other men. Von Stroheim, living up to his "the man you love to hate" tagline, plays the 'other man' in the film, which we learn early has an appreciation for three things; wine, women, and song. Apart from directing and starring in, Stroheim also wrote the book, titled Pinnacle, on which the film was adapted (also written by him). Even though Stroheim wrote, directed, and starred in the film, it's largely carried on the skills of Francelia Billington as the lonely wife as much of the time is spent lingering on her longing and wistful face. The mountain guide, Sepp, is the only one that truly sees the budding relationship as he quietly keeps watch and attempts to keep them apart as he feels indebted to the husband. Soon a game of wills, infidelity, and seduction ensues.

Stroheim’s skills as a director of detail is already largely on display here; his attention to detail that would ultimately lead to his demise in Hollywood when his later productions ran way over time and over budget. But here it’s really his subtlety and skill at taking his time and allowing the narrative to unfold. The infidelity begins slowly and innocently, with Francelia asking what time it is and Stroheim (here, Von Steuben) simply telling her. When they arrive at the resort, she becomes increasingly frustrated at her husband’s complete ignorance of her, and begins going off on her own, to which she is lovingly attended to by Stroheim; such as the scene in which he provides her with a pillow for her chair. But one of the best scenes of the film features a festival held at night. It shows Stroheim wooing the waitress at the resort off in the woods; using the line “even the good old moon seems to give us his blessing”. After he gets her to relent, he refocuses his attentions on Francelia as she leaves the party to go into the cabin and play the piano. Stroheim joins her and plays the violin along with her. It’s a brilliant moment and really displays the strength of images and music to deliver everything that’s necessary to understand a scene and all its implications. Stroheim feeds her the same line about the moon, but she’s still unwilling to relent. Soon, it becomes almost a game of cat and mouse between Stroheim, Francelia, her husband – who is still unaware – and Sepp who is trying to keep them apart without alerting the husband.

Like much from the early silent era, Stroheim uses a wealth of color filters; green for nature scenes, blue and purple for night scenes, orange for the more everyday. I’ve always been intrigued by the different moods color filters added to early silent films, and her I think Stroheim uses them to near perfection. As the film came only a few years after the epoch that was Birth of a Nation and Intolerance and several years before the next epoch that would be Potemkin, Stroheim shows a great deal of skill at cross-cutting and framing even if we don’t get any Eisenstein montage for dramatic effect. But it’s probably the framing that deserves the most attention. There’s a wonderful scene around the middle of the film where Stroheim takes Francelia out into the woods and as she sits on a small stone, rather weary, and he stands beside her, they’re framed against three symbolic crosses in the background. It’s practically a scene right out of some allegorical painting. Another highlight is Francelia’s fever dream in which she envisions Stroheim coming for her. But, as I mentioned earlier, Stroheim often spends a lot of time simply lingering on her longing face, and many of these scenes contain a great deal of emotional poignancy delivered by the simple combination of her performance and, surely, Stroheim’s directing.

While the climactic finale between Stroheim and the husband on the peak is somewhat anti-climactic after the more interesting seduction that comes before, it’s hard to deny the tremendous talent behind the rest of the film. I’d say it’s a must for fans of silent film and certainly for fans of Stroheim.
The Great Gabbo [1929; Erich von Stroheim & James Cruz; 92 min; US]

4.0/10
An early sound film, The Great Gabbo is one of those films likely to make modern viewers go “WTF?”. It seems like 3 films stuffed into one. The first film is a character study about a cantankerous and likely psychotic ventriloquist named Gabbo, played by Stroheim, who seems to be obsessed with his dummy, Otto, and treats him as if he was real and alive. The second film is the relationship between Gabbo and his female assistant named Mary. The film begins with Gabbo already treating Mary like crap because the coffee she makes is either too hot or too cold. After a terrible performance at a show, he then lambastes her for accidentally dropping a trey on stage and blaming the failure on her. She leaves, and he (somehow) becomes a famous act on broadway. The third film is devoted to extended and elaborate musical numbers; the majority of which have absolutely nothing to do with Gabbo or the Gabbo/Mary storyline but seem to be there simply to show off the early sound technology. I’ll admit my own aversion to creepy puppets/dolls/dummies (what have you) and Otto is truly one of the creepiest incarnations I’ve ever seen. And the extended scenes of Otto talking in that odd (and terrifying) voice was enough to instantly turn me off.

Stroheim’s performance is also suspect. Leaden with a heavy German accent he’s still very much stuck in the expressionistic mode of silent acting, so much of his dialogue comes off as stilted. But perhaps he’s saved a bit by a fascinating characterization. If Stroheim played a charming villain in Blind Husbands, here he’s just a plain villain; one that’s nearly impossible to root for. After two years away from Mary and with his success on Broadway he seems to reform; being genuinely repentant for his actions and he attempts to woo Mary back. The fascinating thing is that his attempts fail; Mary is married and she refuses to leave her husband. After this, Gabbo reverts back to his old self and the film ends on an incredibly bleak note. In fact, the entire film is wrapped in a kind of bleakness; which is really odd for a film from that period in Hollywood when happy endings seemed to typically be a must. But if the character, tone, and resolution is fascinating, it’s utterly ruined by the fact that the majority of the film is buried in cringe-worthy musical numbers that bear no impact on the rest of the film. As I said, these were obviously included to show off early sound technology; but the problem is their blatancy and the fact that they’re totally unrelated to the story.

It’s undoubtedly dated, but still an interesting piece for fans of Stroheim. Just fast forward past the musical parts.
Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills [1996; Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky; 150 min; US]

9.0/10
-"West Memphis can go to hell."
-"West Memphis IS hell."

Paradise Lost is the kind of documentary that can make one want to stand up and cry bloody murder at the sheer stupidity and hypocrisy of people. It's a film with the dangerous message of "If you dare to be different in the wrong part of the world, you can be convicted for murder and condemned to die despite the fact there's nothing linking you to the crime and, in fact, all facts point to someone else entirely". This is the kind of film that one is tempted to review by the summation of: "Stupid people are stupid and a fucked up justice system is fucked up." In 1993 the mutilated bodies of three young boys were found in the Robin Hood Hills forest in West Memphis, Arkansas. The cops, with no suspects and no leads and facing outrage from a community that wanted vengeance at all cost, arrested a young man named Damien Echols who was known to dress in black, listen to heavy metal, and, supposedly, practiced witchcraft and Satanism. Not having enough to arrest him on, they release him and arrest Jessie Misskelly Jr; a young man with an IQ of 72. Using a grueling and leading interrogation method they manage to squeeze a confession filled with holes and inconsistencies out of him where he claims to have seen Damien and his best friend, Jason Baldwin, murdering and torturing the three boys in a satanic ritual.

The first part of the film concerns the trial of Misskelly. Despite the compelling evidence taken from a recorded transcrïpt of the police interrogation that the police were leading in their questions and Misskelly made a crucial mistake on the timeframe – first saying it occurred in the morning when the murders most definitely occurred at night – Misskelly is convicted of all three crimes and sentenced to life plus forty years. When the time comes for the trial of Damien and Jason, Misskelly is told that if he’ll testify he’ll get a drastically reduced sentence. But his mother tells him that if he gets up on the stand and lies she’ll never forgive him, so he refuses the offer. The prosecution has zero physical evidence linking Damien and Jason to the crime, but what they do have is a vengeful community with an irrational fear of Satan, witches, and the occult. Besides the trial, a lot of the film is spent with the victims’ families. Despite them being Christians all seem to be blinded by their grief and wishing the death and torture of Damien and Jason. “I hope Damien is tortured forever.” One mother says. “I curse the boys… and the mothers that bore them.” Says another. In a particularly disturbing scene one of the fathers stands out in a field and shoots pumpkins pretending they’re the three boys up on trial.

During the trial, a wealth of factual evidence is brought up strongly arguing for the murderer being quite somebody else. Given the extreme amount of blood loss there was no blood at the crime scene; suggesting they had been murdered somewhere else and taken there. One of the boys had had the skin cut and removed from his penis, to which an expert said he would have had difficulty doing under optimal conditions, much less at night, in the dark, in the woods, surrounded by mosquitoes. Speaking of mosquitoes, there were no bites on any of the boys. The supposed crime scene in the woods had been meticulously wiped of any evidence suggesting someone far more experienced than three teenagers executing a satanic ritual. If indeed they had been murdered somewhere else then it would’ve been nearly impossible for the three suspects to have dragged or carried them to the crime scene. Then there was the evidence that blood was found on a knife of one of the victim’s fathers that matched one of the boys with the crime-scene; though it also matched the father himself. When questioned about it he first said he had never used the knife and had never cut himself. Probably after learning the blood matched his own he switched his story to claim that he had cut his thumb. There was also a report of a large black man covered in mud and blood that had arrived at a local restaurant not far from the crime scene, but the police never followed up and lost the sample of blood that was taken from the scene.

So with all of the physical evidence pointing elsewhere, the prosecution focuses solely on the occult/Satanic hysteria surrounding the case and the accused. Damien is put on the stand to testify, and is shown to be rather intelligent and articulate; much more so than those around him. The prosecution introduces books on wicca, magic, and the occult that Damien possessed. His interest seems to be little more than that; an interest. He explains that wicca is a white magic more concerned with being in harmony with nature and The Earth. Another book was about the history of magic. Yet another was a document from the Salem persecutions by a Christian minister who discussed how to get witches to confess. He explains that Satanism is rarely about worshipping Satan but about “self-indulgence” – which is actually true, but a little known fact. His notebook is full of lyrics – most by Metallica – and also contains quotes from Shakespeare’s Macbeth. The prosecution goes into the answers he gave the police when they questioned him. Perhaps his downfall was ever being honest during the questioning, such as when they asked how he thought the killer felt and Damien replied “He probably feels happy. It probably makes him feel powerful and he doesn’t care if he gets caught or not.” The prosecutor twists this (and most of Damien’s statements) to make it seem like only a killer could possibly know this, when it’s readily apparent to anyone with common sense (which Damien says he used) that that’s indeed how a killer would feel. If Damien had pleaded ignorance and innocence, perhaps things would’ve gone differently, perhaps not.

Despite the fact that Jason didn’t testify, remained more or less out of sight and not a target, and there wasn’t even the occult circumstantial evidence to link him to the crimes, Jason was convicted to a life sentence for the three murders. Damien got death by lethal injection and is scheduled to die soon. Perhaps I should simply go back to an early statement: “stupid people are stupid. Fucked up justice system is fucked up.” Perhaps, though, the two statements are integrally related since the system itself relies on the ignorance of such gullible people to make life and death decisions that they’re supposed to base on facts rather than their own rampant xenophobia and desire for blind vengeance. It strikes me I’ve said very little about the film as a film/documentary, but suffice it to say that this is as provocative, compelling and engrossing as documentaries get. It’s also as terrifying.

:omnislash_warning:
Replies  SPOILER: Show

Bomby von Bombsville wrote:The Hole (Tsai Ming-Liang)
What's great about Tsai's simplicity, is that he uses it to its full advantage to portray complex emotional situations. Theoretically, anyone with a camera and enough film stock or DV tape could imitate Tsai stylistically, but almost no one could be anywhere near as successful as he is with it.
I would almost entirely agree with this, but I think there's something to be said for the complexity of Tsai's mise-en-scene from a compositional point of view. Such as his method of fracturing the screen so we can perceive multiple levels of actions. A famous example in the Wayward Cloud is when it's split vertically down the center with the woman on the left, pouring juice and the man on the right who is shown throwing the juice out. I'd also argue that deep focus compositions aren't easy to achieve in general, and it never looks like Tsai is using fast film stocks (though I couldn't say for sure one way or the other). Ken Rockwell will also tell you about how wide-angle lenses are, by far, the most difficult to compose well before because of the spatial distortion and how easy it is to have wasted space. There is almost never any wasted space in a Tsai shot. And the one-shot-per-scene rule also puts a lot of pressure on the actors to get everything perfect. So in one respect, it is fairly simple, in another it's not. I guess I can be ambiguous and say just about any style to be used well requires a certain degree of skill and difficult. Static, deep focus compositions and long take definitely require a talent for composition and the confidence not to hide events in a film through manipulative editing.

But I definitely agree about the emotional complexity in Tsai which is almost always present. I remember liking The Hole but not as well as his other films; though now I'd be hard pressed to say what's missing in it that's present in his others.

Xard wrote:None of us are Ebert.
Nor is Ebert any of us. Everyone is capable of bringing a unique and potent perspective to criticism, or even saying the same thing in a better way than others. I've written reviews I thought were complete crap, others I've though were better than most professional reviews I'd read on it. Our discussions on art theory go deeper than the vast majority of critics dare to think. I doubt Ebert would've been able to sustain our conversation on Marienbad, for instance.

Xard wrote:And I don't absolutely condemn film for it - it's just one of the things that bother me and lessens its entertainment value for me.
Fair enough. I still maintain you let the stupidest things bother you when it comes to critiquing art.

ran1 wrote:Eros-- its a compilation of three films directed by Wong Kar Wai, Steven Soderbergh, and Michealangelo Antonioni. I really liked it, especially Wong Kar Wai's contribution.
I was pretty much alone in preferring Antonioni. Of the three it was really the only one that was really erotic (I also loved the ambiguity of it). Soderbergh's was an interesting little allegory but not really erotic.

Oz wrote:I hadn't heard about that before. Thanks for the rec.
If you're going to check out De Sica it's kinda mandatory you look into the two other major Italian neorealist directors in Roberto Rossellini and Luchino Visconti. Visconti arguably started the movement with his Ossessione, and his La Terra Trema was a very solid entry into the movement as well. After the failure of his last neorealist film, Belissima, Visconti switched to grand, sensual, operatic style for his later films including Senso, Rocco and His Brothers, The Leopard, The Damned, Death in Venice, and Ludwig. Rossellini was perhaps the best purveyor of the style if only because he largely stuck with it, though in altered forms. His War Trilogy (Rome Open City, Paisan, and Germany Year Zero) are supposed to be excellent; as is his Flowers of St. Francis and Voyage in Italy.

Oz wrote:Before you mentioned about Kagemusha's quality earlier in this thread, I was under the impression that it was only a lesser effort before Ran.
I don't even remember what I said about it in this thread. :lol:

Oz wrote:That's interesting. I guess I should finally read Shakespeare's plays like I've been planning to for months now.
It took me about a year to read all of the but I was leisurely about it and only read the when I was in the mood. It's quite doable to read a play a day if you wanted; probably less grueling if you just read one act of one play a day.

Oz wrote:How did you get to see The Hole, by the way? I would probably give an arm and a leg to see the film.
I can see if it's still available on Netflix and upload it for ya. I know the DVD is OOP but I saw it on Netflix.

Oz wrote:Yesterday I decided to watch Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo for the third time. After that I did another rewatch: Kim Ki-Duk's Samaritan Girl. Today, I decided to watch Wim Wenders' Ozu/Tokyo documentary, Tokyo-Ga, which turned out to be the best documentary I've ever seen.
Yojimbo is definitely awesome; it was the first Kurosawa I saw after Seven Samurai and what it lacks in the sophistication of his epics it makes up for in its awesome coolness and ferocious energy. I've been wanting to see some more from Wenders for a while. His Wings of Desire is one of my favorites; one of the most beautiful, poetic films ever made and his Paris, Texas is on a similar level. I've heard only great things about Tokyo-Ga too. I just saw a short documentary last night on the New German Cinema that featured Wenders, Herzog, and Fassbinder. All three are quite fascinating directors for almost completely different reasons. As far as great documentaries, I'd highly recommend the one I watched last night, Paradise Lost (/cheap plug to get you to read my review). I also really liked another on a similar theme called Capturing The Friedmans.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:44 pm

I'm not quite sure that I'd agree with Rockwell about the difficulty of shooting in wide angle, perhaps because it's always been my own preferred style. Tsai's split-screen compositions are often a bit complex, though usually never anywhere near as much as someone like Jacques Tati's. I'm convinced that Tati's Play Time is a one-of-a-kind masterpiece that will never be replicated. That film is a litmus test of taste.

Oh wait, I was talking about Tsai, not Tati. I guess I am underrating the complexity of his blocking. That shot from The Wayward Cloud you mentioned is probably my single favorite shot in Tsai's filmography.

Anyway, I have reason to celebrate, because sitting on my desk right now are copies of Bong Joon-Ho's Mother and Nagisa Oshima's Naked Youth. Also, Groundhog Day which is an old favorite that I get to re-watch for class.

Also, @Oz re: Kim Ki-Duk: I've also come to become less and less fascinated with the guy over time. There's something very insincere and ostensibly "Orientalized" about his films that I really can't put a finger on. I've often felt similarly about Zhang Yimou, though to nowhere near the extent of Kim.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:41 am

Bomby von Bombsville wrote:I'm not quite sure that I'd agree with Rockwell about the difficulty of shooting in wide angle, perhaps because it's always been my own preferred style.
Granted, Rockwell is a still photographer but I think his points are mostly valid. HERE'S the article I was referring to.

Bomby von Bombsville wrote:Tsai's split-screen compositions are often a bit complex, though usually never anywhere near as much as someone like Jacques Tati's.
I haven't seen Playtime yet, but Mon Oncle is undoubtedly full of extremely complex, multi-layered, static compositions. Ebert was right on target when he drew a comparison between Tsai and Tati. Though I tend to find Tsai's compositions stunning just from an aesthetic standpoint; the dark and textured corridors and rooms of Time, the almost abstract blending of colors in Dragon. I should probably go through his filmography again just to appreciate it more, but there are so many shots in his films that made my heart stop for no other reason than that they're perfect.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:17 am

Mother (Bong Joon-Ho)
I've been attempting to write something about this film for the past ten minutes to no avail. All I'm going to say is this: Bong Joon-Ho knows exactly what the fuck he's doing.
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:51 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:If you're going to check out De Sica it's kinda mandatory you look into the two other major Italian neorealist directors in Roberto Rossellini and Luchino Visconti.

I've been interested in Visconti for some time as well. In fact, I've had his Rocco and His Brothers available to watch for months now, but I've never got around to do that because I've always been occupied with something else.

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I don't even remember what I said about [Kagemusha] in this thread.

IIRC, you compared it to Ran back when I reviewed it.

Eva Yojimbo wrote:It's quite doable to read a play a day if you wanted; probably less grueling if you just read one act of one play a day.

I was thinking about reading the original texts and Finnish translations side by side so I guess it would be better to read one act a day.

Bomby von Bombsville wrote:There's something very insincere and ostensibly "Orientalized" about [Kim's] films that I really can't put a finger on.

QFT

Bomby von Bombsville wrote:I've been attempting to write something about [Mother] for the past ten minutes to no avail. All I'm going to say is this: Bong Joon-Ho knows exactly what the fuck he's doing.

That's awesome! :w00t:
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:59 pm

I watched Gone With the Wind last night since I didn't have anything from Netflix. It was a bazillion times better than I remembered and just stunning in blu-ray. It immediately leapt into my top 15 (somewhere around 11 or 12 I think). A review will be forthcoming; probably by the end of the week.

Oz wrote:I've been interested in Visconti for some time as well.
The funny thing about Visconti is that his early neorealist style is practically a polar opposite of his later, lush, epic, operatic, romantic style. I've heard great things about Rocco but haven't seen it yet. I saw The Leopard years ago but couldn't say too much about it now.

Oz wrote:IIRC, you compared it to Ran back when I reviewed it.
Aha. Yeah, the two definitely bear comparison. Ran is probably the better work, but not by the disparity that many think it is.

Oz wrote:I was thinking about reading the original texts and Finnish translations side by side so I guess it would be better to read one act a day.
I've always wondered how Shakespeare faired in translation. I mean, I guess well enough that he's popular worldwide. But it's odd that a writer that was so crucial to a language could work just as well in others. I mean, most poetry gets destroyed in translation, and Shakespeare is always poetic even when he isn't writing poetry.

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:21 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I watched Gone With the Wind last night since I didn't have anything from Netflix. It was a bazillion times better than I remembered and just stunning in blu-ray. It immediately leapt into my top 15 (somewhere around 11 or 12 I think). A review will be forthcoming; probably by the end of the week.

The amazing thing about the sprawling shot showing the masses of wounded in the Atlanta rail yard was that it would take at least two decades for the rest of film to catch up with a camera shot that I would dare call ahead of its time. A lot of people (myself for a while too) avoid the movie due to its length, and there are scenes that go on too long, but it's a 30s film that built on the very tiny foundations that film at that time created.
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:41 pm

That was indeed a stunning shot, but for my money all of those scenes against that gold and red painted backdrop supposedly at sundown were what really hit home. Call it the lush, romantic in me. Speaking of it being long, I was rather shocked by how fast the movie went. This is something I'll mention in my review, but I felt the pacing was pretty much flawless. Could a scene have been cut here and there? Probably; especially in the second half. But consider how much ground is covered in the first 100 minutes of the film. The second half almost seems to provide a kind of breather. And given the really complex character developments and relationships that happen it's hard to find any real fault with it.

Anyway, I'm waiting to review it until I after I hear the commentary and read a bit about it. Hopefully I'll get an idea just how to put everything together. It's easier for a film like Oz that I've seen a thousand times and had memorized; less so for a film that I've only seen other other time as an adolescent on VHS.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:06 am

In more Bong-related news, apparently Magnolia pictures has gotten the rights to release Barking Dogs Never Bite in the U.S. Now, if there is one film, ANY film that would not be accepted ever by American audiences...

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:22 am

@Jimbo: I did not know that Visconti's style changed during his career. I guess I will first dig deep into Japanese cinema before I start even thinking about the French and Italian masters. The idea of translating Shakespeare intrigues me as well - and I guess it helps me identify the significance of the language to Shakespeare when I read the translation at the same time.

@Bomby: So true. In any case, it's awesome that the film gets a DVD release that is easy to buy.

---

In case anyone is interested, I updated my top 40 list of favorite films:

1. End of Evangelion
2. Yi yi
3. 2001: A Space Odyssey
4. Tokyo Story
5. City of Sadness
6. Shiki-jitsu
7. Stalker
8. What Time Is It There?
9. Woman in the Dunes
10. Late Spring
11. Ikiru
12. Ran
13. Andrei Rublev
14. Harakiri
15. Seven Samurai
16. All About Lily Chou-Chou
17. Ugetsu
18. Blade Runner
19. Persona
20. Twenty-four Eyes
21. Love Exposure
22. Eureka
23. 8½
24. Goodbye Dragon Inn
25. Lady Vengeance
26. Kagemusha
27. Rashômon
28. Princess Mononoke
29. Barry Lyndon
30. Oldboy
31. Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
32. Balthazar
33. Battle Royale
34. Only Yesterday
35. In the Mood for Love
36. There Will Be Blood
37. Grave of the Fireflies
38. Porco Rosso
39. A Man with a Movie Camera
40. Yojimbo

I will try to write reviews of Yasujiro Ozu's Late Spring and Jacques Tati's Mr. Hulot's Holiday today (watched them yesterday already). Today I surprisingly got 3 films of my Amazon DVD order (Yi yi, The Bad Sleep Well and Goodbye Dragon Inn) so I will soon be rewatching Yi yi and The Bad Sleep Well. If I don't watch one of them today, I will give Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal a second chance.

sean_sean_sean_sean
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby sean_sean_sean_sean » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:02 pm

I really, really do not know what to make of Tsai's The Wayward Cloud...

This is probably quite a personal thing, though. I love What Time is it There? a great deal, and I suppose what upsets me is the idea that:---

--- it is the very same characters from that melancholy and rather moving earlier film (Tsai certainly makes a point of establishing explicitly that they are the same characters) who end up, er, "participating" in the thoroughly horrifying and disturbing double-rape(?)/necrophilia(?) spectacular of the final twenty minutes of this film.

Heck, I'm still sort of trying to work out whether the final shot of Chen Shiang-chyi's arms falling to her sides is meant to imply merely that she is "surrendering herself" or, rather, that she has been suffocated by his cock (or, indeed, whether this is supposed to be ambiguous, which seems most likely, though I'm probably wrong).

I mean, Death By Symbolism is always humiliating - but choking to death on a penis ... oh, I don't know...

I enjoyed so much of the film, and I really do hope that I come to view the whole in a more positive light, but at the moment I am still trying to recover from the initial upset. I feel a little trolled, really :(

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:41 pm

I watched the commentary for Gone With the Wind last night and it was really fascinating and gave me a lot of good info to use in my review. I don't have a clue when I'm going to be able to type it up, though...

The Great McGinty [1940; Preston Sturges; 83 min; US]

8.0/10
The Great McGinty was made during the extraordinary start to Sturges' career in the early 40s and features all of the trademarks that made the director great; sharp writing, superb characterizations, a great mix of drama and comedy, and this time some potent satire to boot. The film opens in a bar where a man named Tommy is down on his luck, getting drunk. As he leaves the bar owner, Dan McGinty (Brian Donlevy) goes to check on him and stops him from committing suicide. He brings him inside and begins telling him a story about his own rise and fall and what he lost. Years ago he was a poor bum in a soup line whenever he gets a message that he will get paid $2 if he goes to various voting booths, signs in under different names, and votes for the selected mayor. He ends up voting 37 times for a total of $72. This impresses those organizing the campaign they invite him to meet “the boss” (Akim Tamiroff) who apart from rigging political campaigns also happens to be a kind of gangster/criminal. He hires McGinty to shake down people for protection money, but then becomes his political protégé. When the time comes for McGinty to take office he’s convinced to get married to win the female vote. A co-worker named Catherine (Muriel Angelus) accepts and two get married even though it’s just for public appearances. But soon the two become friends and fall in love, even though Catherine already has two children. As time goes on Catherine tries to convince McGinty he’s strong enough to stand up to The Boss and do the right thing. He decides to make his stand when he’s elected governor, but given his past it may be too easy for The Boss to ruin things.

The first thing that strikes one about a Sturges film is how modern they feel even though they have all the trappings of a dated classic. The dialogue and acting is always much more naturalistic than Sturges’ contemporaries, and his characters always seem to be more 3-dimensional and cast less as archetypal good and bad guys and more like complex human beings. McGinty himself starts out as a tough guy, and seems to fall in with Tamiroff only because it’s a way to make money when he’s broke. He seems to have very little awareness of the (im)morality of his actions. Equally, his marriage seems to be one of convenience, and like McGinty, Catherine seems to only be doing it because it will benefit her as well; being the wife of a governor and all. I’m also always struck with the subtlety that writers and directors had to use to get around the production code. In one wonderful scene when McGinty and Catherine are discussing getting married, McGinty looks down to stare at her legs (the camera does to), to which she replies “what’s THAT got to do with it?”. Eventually, both McGinty and Caterine become truly sympathetic characters that the audience can root for in spite of their actions.

But a large part of what sells the characters is the excellent acting. Despite having a cast devoid of real stars and mostly relative unknowns, all of the leads are riveting. Donlevy’s McGinty goes through an extraordinary character arc, from believable tramp, to believable gangster/tough guy, to lover, to respectable politician. Muriel’s Catherine is given a less dramatic arc, but she has an innate sweetness and intelligence that sells her part. Tamiroff could’ve easily played The Boss as an evil tough guy, but he seems more like an embodiment of The American Dream (especially after the speech he gives McGinty about coming from nothing to making himself something). But primarily it’s Donlevy who carries the film. One also can’t overlook Sturges’ potent political satire; made more subtle by the film’s intensive focus on the characters and effortlessly composed drama and humor. But part of the film’s brilliance is recognizing how easy it is for political figures to be mere puppets; not to mention how easy it is to manipulate the system to begin with. The film’s biggest and (really) only flaw is that the ending is abrupt and seems to leave the audience hanging. It’s certainly not a fairytale ending, though I guess we can give Sturges credit for essentially starting at the end of the story and then creating characters we care enough about to hope it turns out good despite what we already know.

Overall and excellent film, and about the 4th of Sturges I’ve been extremely impressed with.

@Oz & Sean:[omnislash]
Oz wrote:@Jimbo: I did not know that Visconti's style changed during his career. I guess I will first dig deep into Japanese cinema before I start even thinking about the French and Italian masters. The idea of translating Shakespeare intrigues me as well
Not only did Visconti's style change but he pretty much went in the polar opposite direction. From the gritty, radical, working class-themes of neorealism to the sensuous, refined, operatic, aristocratic-focused of his later films. Really, one could spend an entire life just focusing on the films of any country. I prefer to always jump around; dig a bit here, dig a bit there, etc. but always changing because I know I get tired of the same thing too easy. Which is probably why I have such a generalized knowledge about film and history but not a truly deep one on any given element: a "jack of all trades" thing. You should also throw Germany in there apart from France, Italy, and Japanese.

As for Shakespeare, I think it would probably be helpful being able to read both Shakespeare in the original language and then having a comfortable and idiomatic translation handy. I tend to think that Shakespeare isn't as difficult as many think, or is difficult in different ways. If you have a good edition that glosses the meaning of solo words that have changed then it's usually possible to read him straight through for the most part, and apart from that it's basically just some difficult references that aren't familiar to us or opaque metaphors that can be a bit difficult to unravel. One thing I should say is that while reading Shakespeare is great and can give one a more in-depth, intensive understanding of his genius the real fun is in WATCHING Shakespeare. If you finish a play you really like you should seek out good versions of it on DVD or even audio versions.

Oz wrote:In case anyone is interested, I updated my top 40 list of favorite films:
I'll give it a look-through later. I have 5 Netflix at home tonight. :faint: I always look forward to your reviews as well. Late Spring is certainly a favorite and I quite loved Mr. Hulot's Holiday as well.

===============================================

sean_sean_sean_sean wrote:I really, really do not know what to make of Tsai's The Wayward Cloud...
Join the club. :lol: Tsai always gives you a lot to, ahem, chew on.

sean_sean_sean_sean wrote:it is the very same characters from that melancholy and rather moving earlier film who end up, er, "participating" in the thoroughly horrifying and disturbing double-rape(?)/necrophilia(?)A spectacular of the final twenty minutes of this film.
It can be argued the characters are roughly the same from Rebels of a Neon God onward in Tsai's filmography since he uses the same actors. But, yeah, Time and Cloud are the only two that are obviously connected. I don't know what you mean by double rape. The woman was a porn star and was supposed to be there for the shoot. The ambiguity of whether she's dead or just passed out is one of the things that makes it fascinating. Obviously Tsai is going for a stylized, metaphoric, hyper-reality here so I think it's difficult to take it literally.

sean_sean_sean_sean wrote:I'm still sort of trying to work out whether the final shot of Chen Shiang-chyi's arms falling to her sides is meant to imply merely that she is "surrendering herself" or, rather, that she has been suffocated by his cock (or, indeed, whether this is supposed to be ambiguous, which seems most likely, though I'm probably wrong).
Honestly, I never really noticed this and haven't even heard anyone bring it up. That's really a very good catch. As for my part, I'd guess it's supposed to be ambiguous; the same with just about everything else in the film (if not in all of Tsai's films).

sean_sean_sean_sean wrote:I enjoyed so much of the film, and I really do hope that I come to view the whole in a more positive light, but at the moment I am still trying to recover from the initial upset. I feel a little trolled, really :(
Hehe, yeah, I sympathize with the "trolled" feeling. Honestly, it's gotten better the more I've thought about and after seeing it a second time. I don't think it's nearly as salacious as many make it out and it's actually quite a potent statement about the inability of people to make connections in modern society. It can also be viewed as really an anti-porn statement. But I think with Tsai there's always so much implied and so much beneath the surface it's hard to compute it all. I still think it's a brilliant film even if it falls just a little short of the genius of Time. [/omnislash]

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:48 am

No Regrets For Our Youth (Akira Kurosawa)
Not really Kurosawa's best moment. Thankfully it has Setsuko Hara in it. I love that woman. If she wasn't pushing 90 right now I'd totally...

Anyway, it's Japan's first post-WWII film. There's some moments of brilliance in it, particularly one of the most impressive uses of close-up I've ever seen. Kurosawa got better from here on, though how he's come to eclipse Ozu and Mizoguchi in the past couple decades is beyond me (and most Japanese film critics, too). My personal preferences aside, Kurosawa is still one of the undisputed all-time greatest filmmakers. Just not necessarily with this somewhat bland outing.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:25 am

@Jimbo: I've found so many things to love in Japanese cinema so it seems I won't be bored for quite some time. Initially I wanted to know a lot about Asian cinema altogether, but that task has become rather impossible so I changed my focus on Japanese (and Taiwanese as well - because Taiwan's output is small).

@Sean: :lol: Tsai trolled you. I was as bewildered as you are when I watched the film for the first. For me it was the first Tsai film so I didn't watch his other films sooner because The Wayward Cloud was a big mindfuck for me - and I had no idea what I was about to see.

@Bomby: Yeah, it's a shame that Setsuko Hara is so old already. :lol:

---

Here are the reviews I promised: Ozu's Late Spring & Tati's Mr. Hulot's Holiday. Then there's also a surprise in store for you guys: I rewatched The Seventh Seal and I'll write a review of it later today/tomorrow.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:35 am

Bomby von Bombsville wrote:I love that woman. If she wasn't pushing 90 right now I'd totally...

Oz wrote:@Bomby: Yeah, it's a shame that Setsuko Hara is so old already.

(:|

Bomby von Bombsville wrote:Kurosawa got better from here on, though how he's come to eclipse Ozu and Mizoguchi in the past couple decades is beyond me (and most Japanese film critics, too).

Only Mizoguchi I've seen is Ugetsu and I was disappointed with it enough not to pursue his films further. Guess I really shouldee Sansho the Bailiff at least

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:18 am

Xard, I am disappoint. I was expecting "3D PIG DISGUSTING".

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:23 am

*sigh*

[URL=http://img684.imageshack.us/i/2disbetterthan3d.jpg/]Image[/URL]

there, happy now?

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:30 pm

Xard wrote:Only Mizoguchi I've seen is Ugetsu and I was disappointed with it enough not to pursue his films further. Guess I really shouldee Sansho the Bailiff at least

The funny thing about Kurosawa v. Mizoguchi is that film critics tend to lean toward Kurosawa, film scholars tend to lead toward Mizoguchi. I guess it all depends on what you look for from a film. Mizoguchi has a much more idiosyncratic shooting style, which is probably why the latter group (which I tend to belong to) would be more attracted to him.

That being said, compared to a lot of scholars, I'm practically a Kurosawa fanboy.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:22 pm

Watched 4 films last night, wrote 4 reviews I'm sure nobody will read. Oh well.

Sisters [1973; Brian De Palma; 93 min; US]

6.5/10
Bernard Hermann scores this eerie, psychological thriller about a model named Danielle (Margot Kidder) who takes a man back to her apartment but wakes up to find that he’s been murdered and this murder happens to have been witnessed by a neighbor across the street named Grace Collier (Jennifer Salt) who happens to be a journalist and tries to get the police involved. The film is directed by Alfred Hitchcock… err, I mean Brian De Palma… err, I mean, Alfrian De Palmcock. Sisters was one of De Palma’s first films and can’t be called much more or less than a loving and technically proficient ode to the master of suspense himself. De Palma has almost completely appropriated Hitchcock’s narrative and thematic sensibilities with the film even if it ultimately just comes up as Hitchcock-lite. De Palma certainly doesn’t nail Hitch’s pristine sense of pacing and nail-biting suspense, nor does he really approach the psychological depth of Hitch’s best films. Saying De Palma also doesn’t approach Hitch’s cinematic technical excellence would also be true but a bit unfair since really no director touches Hitch in that category.

De Palma does have two interesting innovations in the film. One is in the interesting premise of the psychological ramifications of separating Siamese twins. But even here, De Palma doesn’t go as far down the rabbit hole as Hitch did in Psycho or Vertigo. The other is a visual innovation in the use of split-screen to follow multiple lines of action. This may be one of his few strokes of real originality and, surprisingly, it really shows off a new and interesting possibility of what could be done with the device. In the scene in which Danielle’s (supposed) ex-husband comes to help her clean up the apartment after the murder, the split screen also follows Grace meeting with the detectives and trying to get them to investigate the apartment for the murder. It also then shows the approaching detectives and the attempted escape by Danielle’s ex-husband from the apartment and how they manage to nearly cross paths. It’s a fascinating device the likes of which I’ve never seen used in such a way before.

The acting on all sides that has hint of artificiality that was also often present in Hitch. Characters seem to be less humans and more like pieces that are shuffled around by an unseen hand in some kind of puppet or shadow play. Hermann’s music – certainly chosen because of his important collaboration with Hitch – varies between truly suspenseful and dramatic and just plain laughable and theatric. In fact, much of the same can be said for the entire film. From Rear Window De Palma takes the metafiction theme of voyeurism; of people watching people in the film mirrored by the audience as people watching people watching people. This film even opens with a TV show about Peeping Toms so we have an added metafictional layer of people watching people watching people watching people. De Palma has also taken a major cue from Psycho in his decision to switch protagonists halfway through the film; The biggest problem is that devices like this come off as much less effective after one has already seen it in Psycho. In fact, the problem with copying Hitch in general is that he made so many of those Hitchcockian moments so unique and iconic that when copied they can never really be fresh again. That’s not to say that the film is without any thrills or entertainment. In fact, it more or less remains intriguing right up until the end. The first murder is handled quite well; providing quite a shock, though the dream sequence later on that explains the mysteries is significantly less effective.

Sisters is an uneven film, but is undeniably a loving ode to the master of suspense. Most of De Palma’s devices and risks pay off even when they are clearly Hitch rip-offs and given that the narrative and characters remain interesting throughout it’s certainly worth a look.
Paradise Lost 2: Revelations [2000; Joe Berlinger & Bruce Sinofsky; 130 min; US]

6.5/10
A followup to the 1996 documentary about the conviction of three boys in West Memphis, Arkasas for the brutal murder of three children, Paradise Lost 2 should probably have been subtitled “Frustrations” rather than “Revalations”. There are precious few revelations in a film that seems to bring up more questions than it answers and at its worst seems to be approaching desperation. The approach in the first film was much more even-handed as it documented the trial in a detached manner without imposing too much of a perspective on this case. This made it all the more powerful because even through the fairly unbiased presentation it became apparent that there was scarcely any evidence to convict the boys. But four years later all three remain in prison.

Damien has filed a suit against the prison for allowing him to be raped repeatedly. Support groups have sprung up all around the country and come together to try and free the boys. More and more new information on the case, mostly taken from the crime scene pictures, has come in and experts have been called to give their opinion on the case and nearly every piece of evidence seems to point away from the boys. The biggest new piece was a supposed bite mark found on one of the boys that wasn’t reported by the corner. This would be significant since bite marks are as good as a fingerprint. The marks are compared with that of the boys and they don’t match, seemingly vindicating them from the crime. But things aren’t quite so clear because the original coroners and other state dental experts disagree over whether or not it IS a bite. So the appeal is denied, and the boys remain in jail. It’s probably this that has pushed the film-makers to the point of desperation, and this film plays more like advocacy and less like an even-handed documentary as the first did.

This film is more or less split up into separate parts; apart from the new information being revealed or conjectured about the crime, we also have plenty of screen time spent with the families of the convicted, the support groups, and the boys themselves. But of the remaining victims’ families only one person agreed to be on camera again and that’s the stepfather of the murdered Chris Byers named John Mark Byers. To say the film is obsessed with him seems an understatement and it’s not difficult to understand why. Byers is a loon. A clear case of some undiagnosed mental disorder that manifests as clear as can be in this film. This was the same guy in the first film who shot handguns at pumpkins pretending they were the three boys on trial. In this film he digs metaphoric graves for the boys at the crimescene and lights a fire. But that’s relatively normal compared to his theatrical antics that he plays for the camera constantly. If someone had written his lines and he was acting him he would’ve been given a Razzie for worst performance; that’s what a phony and bad actor the guy is. But the whole thing is almost too bizarre for words. But one gets the sense that by focusing so much on the psychosis of Byers the film is undeniably trying to refocus the attention on him as the potential murderer. But the facts seem to reveal just as little to connect him with the murders than the original prosecutors had on the boys. He seems to have always cooperated fully with the investigators, giving them dental records and even taking a polygraph test (which he passes) just on the provocation of the support groups and those making the film.

While the first film was superb documentary film-making on any level, the second seems less accomplished as a film but still potent as advocacy. The boys who are convicted didn’t deserve to be. And even if one can accuse the film-makers of engaging in more than a bit of sensationalism and finger-pointing themselves here with their focus on Byers, the facts still remain that there was nothing to link the boys to the murders and they should be freed before it’s too late.
Up in the Air [2009; Jason Reitman; 108 min; US]

7.0/10
I’ve been saying for years that Clooney is the modern day Cary Grant. He has an ease and effortlessness with his performance combined with a natural magnetism that makes him a great performer and personality even if he isn’t the best of actors. He almost always tends to carry the films he’s in, and in Up in the Air he is, again, the primary focal point. The film concerns a man named Ryan whose profession involves him travelling across the country and firing people for companies whose bosses are too chicken to do it themselves. In doing so he’s logged closed to ten million miles in the air, which happens to be his goal. On one trip he meets another frequent flyer named Alex (Vera Farmiga) and two immediately hit it off. After sleeping together they start checking their dates to see where else they can meet up. But things change when a young wunderkind fresh out of college named Natalie Keener (Anna Kendrick) shows up with a plan to ground the company’s flyers and begin firing people over visual, internet conference. Before the company will implement it, Ryan is told to take Natalie around to his next stops to show and teach her the realities of the profession. Ryan also happens to work as a motivational speaker who advocates cutting all ties to possessions, family, and anything else that weighs you down; espousing the philosophy that to stop moving is to die.

While one would never accuse the film of being profound, it is thoroughly enjoyable. Clooney is always fun to watch and both Farmiga and Kendrick are worthy interests to keep up with him. The film’s biggest problem is that when Kendrick leaves later on the film never really recovers. The final third or so of the film is focused on Ryan’s relationship with his sisters; one of whom is getting married. He slowly begins to realize that his way of life has resulted in him being a very lonely man; one that didn’t realize his loneliness until he found himself falling in love with Alex. Given Clooney’s character the philosophical change seems more than a bit arbitrary and, at worst, a violation of the very characterization of Ryan. But perhaps my problem is deeper with it as I generally have a problem with films ultimately and blatantly damning alternative methods and choices of living. The film ends up saying that real happiness lies in the American ideals of marriage and a family because loneliness is a worse living death than is getting married. To the film’s credit it does (at least for a while) seem to promote Clooney’s alternative philosophy. The problem is that it’s almost predictable how much it ends up working its way back to traditional ideals.

But perhaps I can be accused of thinking about the film too deeply. Perhaps I should just go back to what I originally said about the film ultimately being good, entertaining fun with good leads in a tightly woven story and screenplay. This isn’t the kind of film I would ever say is worthy of Best Picture or even a nominee, but it’s fine for what it is. The most successful scenes happens to be those in which Clooney, Farmiga, and Kendrick are all together, it’s just a shame they couldn’t have lasted longer.
Precious: Based on the Novel “Push” by Sapphire [2009; Lee Daniels; 110 min; US]

8.5/10
The biggest surprise of the night, Precious is a genuinely excellent and poignant film about a poor, obese, and illiterate black girl named Claireece, “Precious” Jones living in the slums with her abusive mother named Mary and pedophile father. At school she tries to escape; sitting in the back of the class and daydreaming about her math teacher. When she gets pregnant for the second time by her father she’s approached about changing to an alternative school called “Each One Teach One” where she meets a wonderful and warm-hearted teacher named Blu Rain and a class full of colorful but caring girls like herself. At the same time she begins meeting with a social worker named Miss Weiss.

Really, the first thing that jumps out at one about the film is the uniformly excellent performances. Both Gabourey Sidibe and Mo’Nique deservedly received Oscar nominations for their roles (Mo’Nique getting an equally well-deserved win) and performances. Sidibe, however, is the driving force that pulls us into the film and, most importantly, into her world of abuse, isolation, and daydreams. It’s the kind of beautiful and poignant performance that seems to transcend acting to become almost painfully real. Mo’Nique, if somewhat less natural, is no less powerful. The truth is that her performance more closely straddles the line between melodramatic and theatrical while still remaining genuine enough to not call attention to itself. But the film is truly enriched by all its supporting roles including an excellent and relatively unknown Paula Patton as Miss Rain, the alternative school teacher. The biggest surprise ends up being Mariah Carey who dresses down to play the social worker. For those who labeled her a horrid actress after her Glitter flop will no doubt be forced to re-evaluate after watching her here. Even Lenny Kravitz as a male nurse who attends Precious at her birth turns in a fine and charming performance.

One thing that really surprised me about the film is the excellence of the cinematography by the unknown names of Andrew Dunn and Darren Lew. It’s the kind of film where the technical aspects are almost always overlooked, but I was shocked by the amount of really outstanding shots the pair produce. One can feel the grunginess of the apartment where Precious and her mother lives, which contrasts superbly with the super slick and stylized presentation of Precious’ daydreams, as well as with the warm inviting tone of the Miss Rain’s classroom. One particularly nice touch is the often blown-out highlights which diffuses the light, giving the film an appropriately tender and slightly romantic film without it lessening the impact of the narrative. But there are other moments such as composing people in frames within the frame and using natural split-screens to follow multiple lines of action. The use of close-ups and long lenses are judiciously used; always to great effect thanks to the powerful performance of Sidibe.

But this doesn’t mean that everything in the film works equally well. Part of me feels the film is too bloated with fat that could’ve been cut to make a more concise and potent effort. I never feel the voice-over quite works as well as it should. The construction can occasionally be sloppy with how it integrates its separate parts that are always more discrete than the should; the home scenes, the daydreams, the school scenes, the hospital scenes, and the flashbacks never really integrate seamlessly, always seeming a bit disconnected. But really, this is a minor complaint that can be summed up by the film could’ve used a more focused screenplay and a bit more judicious editing. But this is all belying the power of the film that is carried by a mix of the genuinely rendered characters and perfect performances. Sadly, knowing even the little that I know about social services, Precious really can’t be said to be a gross fictionalization and is probably more common than most would think. While I’ve heard criticisms of the film being melodramatic and, at worse, an example of “misery porn”, I think these only apply if the characters don’t pull us in, and given the excellence of the performances I find it impossible to say they don’t; at least for me.

@Bomby & Oz:[omnislash]
Bomby von Bombsville wrote:No Regrets For Our Youth (Akira Kurosawa)
Not really Kurosawa's best moment.
Not his best moment but I thought it was still quite good; probably the best of his early films before Drunken Angel and Stray Dog really started showing off what he could do as a director and his 50s films catapulted him into the cinematic stratosphere.

Bomby von Bombsville wrote:how he's come to eclipse Ozu and Mizoguchi in the past couple decades is beyond me (and most Japanese film critics, too).
I don't get what you're saying with your parenthetical part. That said, it probably helps that Kurosawa appeals much more to Western audiences. His cinematic model was largely John Ford and given both Europe and, even now, the east's general fascination with American cinema it's not hard to see why Kurosawa became one of the biggest and most successful foreign film directors/names ever, period; much less the most famous out of Japan. You know I love Mizoguchi and Ozu but both are much more confined in their focus and appeal. Kurosawa made big films, big emotions, big themes. Big, big, big. In many ways he eclipsed Ozu and Mizoguchi by the sheer size and force of his artistic scope. I'm not saying it's justified, I'm just trying to say why it's so.

Bomby von Bombsville wrote:The funny thing about Kurosawa v. Mizoguchi is that film critics tend to lean toward Kurosawa, film scholars tend to lead toward Mizoguchi.
For me, the virtues of both lie in completely different places. For Kurosawa it's almost always the rhythmic propulsion of the editing combined with electric angles and frames, his razor sharp and incisive narrative, character, and thematic focus and grand vision that makes his film so outstanding. Mizoguchi is much more subtler. The complexity of his mise-en-scene, the gracefulness of his moving camera, the more nuanced observation of Japanese society, the sensuousness of his imagery and the more intuitive, elliptical nature with which his narratives unfold...

I think Mizoguchi provides more meat for film scholars because his devices are both more subtle and complex than Kurosawa's; especially because Kurosawa has such strong roots in film tradition and the likes of John Ford so for scholars it can be a bit of a "been there, done that" feeling. Really, Kurosawa's claim to fame is taking almost distinctly westernized stories and executing them in a technically proficient and evocatively Eastern mode/form; like how Seven Samurai was little more than an American Western but with samurais instead of cowboys. Mizoguchi is, as you said, much more idiosyncratic in that sense. But does originality really equate to some inherently greater value or quality? I don't think so necessarily. The fact is it's just as hard to play on well-established standards and execute them well, and Kurosawa executed them as well as anyone and better than just about everyone.

===============================================

Oz wrote:@Jimbo: I've found so many things to love in Japanese cinema so it seems I won't be bored for quite some time.
Well, that's what I mean. I'm the type who naturally gets bored with anything after a while if it's even remotely similar (NGE being the rare exception) so with film I pretty much see whatever I'm in the mood for and make sure to constantly switch it up just so I won't get bored. Though, truth be told, you really shouldn't overlook American cinema because pretty much ever single country has been incredibly influenced by American films so it's almost inescapable. I mean, America kinda got started late in literature and music so we can't claim to boast having many to match the true greats in those areas, but when it comes to film I still believe we're the undisputed masters.

Oz wrote:Here are the reviews I promised: Ozu's Late Spring & Tati's Mr. Hulot's Holiday. Then there's also a surprise in store for you guys: I rewatched The Seventh Seal and I'll write a review of it later today/tomorrow.
As far as Late Spring goes, here's the review I wrote years ago for it:
Late Spring Review  SPOILER: Show
There might not be a director that personifies "profundity through simplicity" like Ozu. Unlike Kurosawa and Mizoguchi, Ozu relied on the deepest humanities of his strong characterizations to create a dynamic and moving rendering of his simplest of narratives. In all honesty, I've not seen anything or anyone in film like Ozu. With that, I get to Late Spring. If there was ever a simpler narrative premise I don't know of one. A daughter - Noriko, played perfectly by Ozu mainstay Setsuko Hara - stays at home to help her aging father - Shukichi, played perfectly by Ozu mainstay Chishu Ryu. The father soon realizes it's time for his daughter to marry. The daughter's ambivalent feelings towards marriage are inclined towards not doing so out of love and dedication to her father. So the father crafts a small white lie of his impending re-marriage to gently nudge the daughter out of the nest.

No description of the narrative however could give any insight into the immense and poignant power of this film. The gentle interplay between Noriko and Shukichi is largely what makes this film so great. Through this, we get to know these characters so intimately we feel as if we know them not as fictional characters, but as very real ones. It's not just the fact that they are so likable, it's the fact that they're so human. Ozu's depictions of everyday people in everyday life confronting life's small but meaningful moments is what drives it all. Late Spring simply allows us a look into the lives of two people we feel we know from the beginning. By the end, their emotions effect us as much as them. The final scene of Ryu peeling a fruit (and I'll leave it there so as not to spoil it) carries infinitely more weight and emotion than it should. But this scene perfectly illustrates Ozu's ability to take the simple and make it profound.

The moving scenes are not just saved for the closing however. The extended Noh play serves as the film's centerpiece, and the turning point for its main characters. For 7 minutes we're allowed to view something that is likely completely alien to all of America, if not Western Civilization. But the words in the play actually reflect many of the underlying themes of the film. And a simple look and smile on Shukichi's part to his potential wife, and the noticing of this by Noriko, serves as the catalyst for the rest of the film. The scene immediately afterwards of Noriko and Shukichi walking side by side, only to have Noriko separate to go her own way, is perhaps my favorite scene in the film for what it represents.

Much has been said of Ozu's style in technical terms - low angle shots, sparse camera movement. But I'd like to comment on the emotional effect this style has. I would describe Ozu's style as one that's as minimally intrusive and obtrusive as possible. This essentially creates a window in the lives of very real people. One can almost gets the impression that they're not watching a brilliant film, but a real life documentary into the lives of its characters. What we end up with is a snapshot of a time and place, and most importantly of people whose lives end up mattering to us. It's startling how many subtleties this film reveals with repeat viewings. The reason for this is because of the underlying themes that Ozu expresses throughout the film. They are told in such intricate, subtle ways, that the complex depths of those ideas are revealed only with repeat viewings.

I honestly don't know if I can heap enough acclaim onto this film. Although not for everyone and every taste, this is a film unlike any other you're likely to ever see. The phrase "They sure don't make them like this anymore" springs to mind. Also, no review of this size could bring into light everything that makes this film so rich. Ozu's style combines with emotional characterization and an elaborate world in which they exist with underlying themes that are delicate, but extremely subtle and important. This creates a work that is so multi-layered, one can only choose a few layers while leaving out many others.

It's astounding to think that in this day of Plasma screens and 1080p and 5.1 surround sound and all the effects that CGI and computers can generate, a film as simple and quiet as this can be as effectively affecting as it is. Indeed, Late Spring as well as Ozu's other masterworks are more real in their fiction than all of reality television put together, and more deeply rich and rewarding than most anything you're likely to ever see.
As far as Mr. Hulot's Holiday, Tati's sense of aesthetics and humor really do appeal to me. I think there's a gentleness and sensitivity in his observation of people, society, interactions that's quite subtle beneath the superficial slapstick. It's much more obvious in a film like Mon Oncle, but for pure comedic value it's hard to beat Mr. Hulot. The daring to mimic the silent masters like Chaplin and Keaton (and Tati probably resembles Keaton more than Chaplin) is enough to make me love him, but he's so damn good at it just from a directing perspective. [/omnislash]

Return to “Film and Video”