EvaGeeks' Most Watched Movies of 2011

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:16 am

The remake of Village of The Damned and The Curse of Frankenstein, they were fantastic and good respectively.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:47 am

Citizen Kane (looks pretty damn good in 1080p) and the currently playing Tower Heist. I thought Tower Heist was pretty fucking terrible, after about the mid way I was just sighing at every stupid easily anticipated and overused joke.. Not to mention the mega huge plot holes. Also there were subs (in Hebrew), so each time you could see what the joke would be before they said it (literally)... there were a few full-retard guys in the audience, it was easy to expect what jokes they'd laugh their asses off to and for some reason it annoyed the hell out of me. I want my money back.. :sniffle:

Recently I also watched 50/50 in the cinema, which was damn good. Really recommended.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby gatotsu911 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:29 pm

Been going on a three-day Harold & Kumar marathon to prepare for the epic conclusion to the trilogy. It ends tonight.

@Toe mash: I was having trouble deciding whether Tower Heist looked good or terrible. I was leaning toward terrible - thanks for confirming.

I thought 50/50 was okay. It had an inspired premise, but played it a little too safe along formulaic Hollywood comedy lines - the surprisingly raw bits of pathos (I particularly liked the scene where Joseph Gordon-Levitt screams in the car) snuck in around the periphery, while the bulk of the film was a strictly by-the-books Apatow comedy. The screenwriter (who based the story on his own experiences) is an alumnus of my current college, so I got to attend a special complementary preview screening followed by a Q&A session with him a couple months back. It was neat. I had no idea then what a big studio film it was being positioned as - I figured it'd be another one of those indie comedies that gets some recognition at Sundance and then quickly disappears from the public eye.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:23 pm

X-Men: First Class which was good & Paranormal Activity 3 which was not so good.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:42 pm

I saw Alien and Donnie Darko because it was Halloween. Also saw Nausicaa: The Valley of the Wind because of Hayao Miyazaki, Joe Hisashi, and Hideaki Anno, in that order of reasoning.

Plan on making a dinosaur movie night sometime soon to celebrate the release of Jurassic Park on Blu-ray, I just don't know when that would be yet.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby KingXanaduu » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:33 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I saw Alien and Donnie Darko because it was Halloween. Also saw Nausicaa: The Valley of the Wind because of Hayao Miyazaki, Joe Hisashi, and Hideaki Anno, in that order of reasoning.

Have you seen the sequel: Aliens, yet? It's a must-see in my opinion. :)
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:31 am

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:Have you seen the sequel: Aliens, yet? It's a must-see in my opinion. :)

I've seen all the way to Alien Resurrection at one point or another. I like the first three films very much. Aliens was a good sci-fi/action, and I liked how Alien 3 returned to the horror genre. Resurrection flat-out sucked.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|

Postby Fazmotron » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:55 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I like the first three films very much. Aliens was a good sci-fi/action, and I liked how Alien 3 returned to the horror genre. Resurrection flat-out sucked.

DOUBLE SUPER AGREE. 4th one sucked immeasurably. If you haven't seen it already, I suggest watching the Assembly Cut of 3 as it restores 30mins of the film, helps the film make a lot more sense, and makes the entire thing a hell of a lot better.

Also, just watched X-Men: First Class again, the most memorable bit still being Rose Byrne getting her kit off.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:00 pm

I watched mobile suit gundam Char’s counter attack and mobile suit gundam F91 this weekend
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:45 pm

Cloverfield Seems this is a film that has the highest budget as far as a movie entirely done in handy-cam style? Think this style is quite effective in terms of conveying a documentary feel, although as in all raw home video it also means nausea inducing shakiness, which cannot be helped I guess.

Deja Vu So it is how Steins;Gate may look if it gets Hollywood adaptation. The ending seems a bit contrived to be Hollywood happy. And a lengthy car chase (like) sequence is put there for no strong reason. I have to say I love Steins;Gate a lot better.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:27 pm

Cloverfield was really only worth it in theaters. Home video kind of exposes all its weaknesses simultaneously. Still a good scenario, though.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:34 pm

Anyone that calls the creature anything other than Clover (actual name JJ Abrams used) or calls it's origin "unknown" I will get my big fat hammer out, declare the event as hammer time, and my finishing move will feature a yell going "HIKARI NE NARE!"

Clover's parasites were kind of cool, although the movie itself was really meh, The Asylum's ripoff was better if you can believe it.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Vergil
Embryo

Postby Vergil » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:39 pm

Finally saw Alien/Aliens (looks AMAZING on BD), Taxi Driver, Batman Year One (loved it the film, it screams Frank Miller just like the comic did), just finished The Warriors (such an amazing film), Blade Runner (re-watch but still amazing today), Black Dynamite (laughed so hard watching this), Goodfellas (thank you AMC for playing so many old iconic films for people like me that never seen them before).

Little to say I got a lot of catching up to do.
Yet to be designed

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:42 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Clover's parasites were kind of cool, although the movie itself was really meh,

I rather like the monster (who I've named Veronica) and his unknown origin.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Fazmotron

Postby Fazmotron » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:53 am

Cloverfield made me feel ill at the movies and on home video. One movie that I will never watch again.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:34 am

I'm so glad the handy cam type movies don't make me feel sick. Me and my cousin saw Cloverfield at the theater completely stoned, and we sat at the back of the Theater. Amazing experience. The creature's roar made my soul vibrate.

Fazmotron

Postby Fazmotron » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:34 am

Saw Warrior (2011) tonight, t'was bloody good. Ending was fantastic.
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:29 pm

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:I rather like the monster (who I've named Veronica) and his unknown origin.

That's an unfortunate name for a boy.

On-topic: Zhang Yimou's To Live.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:59 pm

Frankenstein Created Woman. It was just okay, the pacing could have been better.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:24 pm

This month's films so far:

REC

spanish horror film some girls in the dorm had seen before and were gushing about...so I ended up watching it with them. It was pretty well made, actually, and it earns a decent score from me. Though it's kinda lol worthy to have 10+ girls omigawd horrified and holding hands and shit when I just saw macabre humour in it and found the ending hilarious (on that note: while girls were too busy being freaked out I loved how the final scene showed heroine's boobs really well. She was one damn fine looking actress I say)

Anyway, not a bad watch, rather well made "found vid cam footage" film and enjoyable enough.

Then next day a 3-film marathon evening/night:

1. Reservoir Dogs

first time I saw it believe it or not. This was honestly rather disappointing and unimpressive to me. Actually, to be more to a point, it was rather BORING. As expected there was some great dialogue and moments here but I wasn't convinced by how the nonlinear narrative was executed and much of the drama never felt like it had any weight to it.

Light years below Pulp Fiction and definetly underperformed next to my expectations. Not a bad flick but resoundingly "meh" in general.

Looks like out of Tarantino's body of work only Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill duology are fantastic to me.

2. 12 Monkeys

Whew. Saw Gilliam's classic 90s SF title for the first time. Generally speaking it was enjoyable watch and I don't regret watching it but the storyline is one jumbled mess in the end and relies on too many implausible coincidences and the ridiculous twists were too predictable. Hell I predicted how it all plays out from the DVD cover description. So it was kinda like Sayonara no Tsubasa in the hypermode tweeests mode but whereas in that fantastic anime film the twists had a purpose and worked in here it was just bad for the whole.

I generally speaking enjoyed the form employed but to be frank some of visual tricks were HORRIBLY overused and I haven't got this sick of tilted angles while watching anything since I last time had a breakup fight with Studio SHAFT's animus. Good lord, we all know in order to depict what exactly they're used in films and in many scenes the motive for them was clear enough but overuse is overuse and really diminished the impact of said framing methods in general. Gahhhhh

Acting performances were bloody fantastic though. Bruce Willis in main role is superb and this film again reminded me of how many great roles Brad Pitt had in 90s. It's the performances that carry the film through some messy plotting and contrived scenarios without ever throwing me out of it completely.

All in all flawed but ambitious and rather interesting science fiction flick

3. Hell of the Living Dead

Cinematic masterpiece by Italy's very own Ed Wood Bruno Mattei and his pal Claudio Fragasso and my god what a stinkin turd this is.

But as far as turds go hilarious one. Unfortunately it's laughably bad and thus enjoyable only about half of the time and hot nearly nekkid women screentime is very limited. The rest (about half) of the film is horrifically boring and tedious in ways unimaginable. Best of all is when to pad out film's lenght or to give more exotic feel to "jungle scenes" (film was shot outside Barcelona) they go and crosscut TONS AND TONS AND TONS of stock footage from the 70s shitty boring hippiefest known as La Jetee.

Yes, the film for which Pink Floyd's underappreciated Obscured by Clouds was made as soundtrack.

Results are completely attrocious.

A turd but only so good it's bad about half of the time. Rest of the time it's just really, really boring.

Re-Animator (uncensored, uncut)

Again a film I saw for the first time and holy crap I wonder where I had got the impression it was one of those shitty 80s horror films. Well it was very 80s but not completely shitty, I guess it's the sequels?

Anyway:

This whole film is nonsense piece of shitty screenwriting with plot holes big enough to put a moon in but ignoring the horrible writing and utter nonsense SCIENCE! and going with the mood it was rather enjoyable experience. Or rather memorable in very specific sense:

IT IS JUST LIKE MY Japanese ANIMUS AND I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING AS SICK BEFORE OUTSIDE THEM WHEEEEEE

When we have a bleeding, cut head of main villain licking heroine's nipples (lying naked bondage style on mortuary table) and spewing ridiculous corny dialogue while dripping blood all over her naked body...well, oh golly. This is just like my Japanese animus!

So it was kinda like 80s horrible gore and sex infested OVAs but with living humans and less tentacle penetration (at *least* visible such, good lord fate of square eyes I'd rather not think in too much detail...). I was utterly stunned by the last half hour and I have to admit the ending had sense of style, even if it made me laugh unintentionally.

It's not amazing film by any means and in many respects kinda sucks but the effects and gore were impressive in general and the disturbed mood makes me rate this a bit higher than it deserves. It's so difficult to shock me these days but Reanimator managed to do just that! For that it gets a feather on its hat.

So yeah, it was enough Lovecraft of its origins when it comes to mood to gain a passable rating from me. Just...don't think about it.

Excellent Fist II

I don't even

Dr. Nick knows more about this more than I do. Niiiiick!?!?!?

Anyway, this was a "finnish kung fu" Dr. Nick gave to me on DVD when we met. Interesting experience to say the least. I can tell the guys had fun when they made this. I absolutely loved the fact they all spoke "Japanese" through the film as it probably sounds like to them in kung fu flicks. Hilarious stuff, especially since they also got some real Japanese guy do the narration in proper...Japanese.

As far as zero budget shot on your average cam "films" go (I've made few too lol) it was amusing enough 40 minutes.

this came on terebi yesterday and I finally sat down and watched the whole thing.

Snyder fucking sucks.

Ridiculous, pompous, contentless and stylistically monotonous and charmless film. Bad film all in all. Action was very disappointing and boring too.

There never was a proper, climax-y fight even! I thought the scene that led to death of so many spartans and finally Leonidas was just some random as fight padding time untill the real finale!

I mean, the fucking war elephants JUST DROPPED INTO A DAMN SHAFT WITHOUT EVER GETTING TO DO ANYTHING LOL

It was also unejoyably homoerotic. Thisisnothinglikemyakiraishidacharacters.jpg

SPACE THUNDER KIDS

TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS

(this scene made me utterly lose it when it came and I laughed so hard and for so long I nearly choked, no joke)

I'm sorry but I have no idea what to say about this horrible mashup of a "film" that is basically 8 late-70s early 80s anime plagiarism series by those wacky Koreans put in a blender and horribly "dubbed" by some american company. My brain refuses to accept what I just saw. Me and my friend both have strong stomachs for shitty films but he was ready to pull the trigger on himself or the tv screen 30 minutes in...and it went on for 1h30mins

Dr. Nick's DVD lied that it was just 60 mins FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

One of the worst films EVER made. I didn't find it disgusting enough to call it WORST FILM I'VE EVER SEEN but...I can't quite come up with anything as bad.

At least Mars of Destruction and the like only last for 30 mins or so. This on the other hand.... good lord

oh and this trailer was also the first 4 minutes of the film IN THIS EXACT FORM no I'm not kidding

Burn it with holy fire, only scene that was at least enjoyable in its horribleness was the TANKS! bit

Return to “Film and Video”