EvaGeeks' Most Watched Movies of 2011

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:57 pm

The Empire Strikes Back: This film still holds up very well, a big improvement over the first film, IMO.

Running Out of Time: ANDY LAU!!!
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:18 pm

Ridley Scott's Robin Hood

It's no Gladiator or even Kingdom of Haven, but it's far better than the majority of what Hollywood churns out.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:45 am

I showed a friend of mine Paprika this past weekend. He and his brother aren't used to exposition or storytelling in a film being heavily conveyed in ways other than dialogue, so the use of editing in Paprika to bring certain points across to the audience was more or less lost on him. The same thing was true when it came to the use of cinematography and music over the use of dialogue to tell stories when they saw 2001: ASO sometime back.

I also saw It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World and My Neighbor Totoro this week.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:20 pm

Yoshihiro Nishimura's Tokyo Gore Police: This film proves that Nishimura is one heck of a visionary. He has been blessed with some of the most amazing (and gore-filled) ideas I've ever seen executed in a film. His imaginative action/gore sequences and great passion redeem a film that would otherwise be doomed. As a director, he is pretty awful - he doesn't know how to handle the form. Luckily with Tokyo Gore Police you can get used to the terrible editing and cinematography after an hour and Nishimura left the best bits for the last third of the film which is ridiculously superb. Tokyo Gore Police is not only a silly film, but it's a silly film with dead serious social concerns that are explored throughout the film - in a tongue-in-cheek manner, naturally. If Nishimura's name wasn't enough to tell you what sort of film Tokyo Gore Police is, just look at the cast. There's Audition's Eihi Shiina, Confessions of a Dog's Shun Sugata and Itsuji Itao who, apart from being a famous comedian, loves to take on extremely controversial role. The film's cult film status is well deserved because it really is a lot of fun once you get past the absolutely screwed up approach to the visuals - and even the special effects are so damn bizarre and great that you can't help but enjoy whatever Nishimura throws at you. There's one more thing I'd like to mention: the soundtrack is bloody insane, in a good and bad way.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:12 pm

The Thing. Yeah, the one in theaters, and it was better than Carpenter's movie although I can understand why some folks may call the humans bland.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:00 pm

2010. Jesus, how meh was that? It's like somebody saw Star Trek: The Motion Picture and figured that if they can rip off 2001, 2001 can rip them off just fine too. It really does feel exactly like an overlong Star Trek jaunt, too, right down to the Cold War nonsense and the wishy-washy space theism. The funny thing is that it really does illuminate just how forgettable a writer Clarke was without a nutcase like Kubrick to make something special out of his work. The best thing about the movie was the Time magazine cover that had Kubrick as Soviet Premier and Clarke as POTUS.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:28 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I also saw It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World

I remember that film. The best part is at the start when that guy kicks the bucket. The rest is rather meh

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:2010. Jesus, how meh was that? ...The best thing about the movie was the Time magazine cover that had Kubrick as Soviet Premier and Clarke as POTUS.

Really? I didn't know that... as you said, it's meh, so I don't see myself watching it again just to see those covers (this is the part where you post screencaps).
Voluntary Illusion.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:38 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:(this is the part where you post screencaps).

I didn't recognize Clarke immediately, but it's them all right

[URL=https://min.us/lMRThYtHmgHyU]Image[/URL]
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:09 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:I didn't recognize Clarke immediately, but it's them all right

I suppose might have seen it after all. Thankyou!
Voluntary Illusion.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:18 pm

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

I remember seeing a lot of hate for this movie on EGF although I'm not sure why. If you turn your brain off completely and just go with it it's pretty entertaining :shrug:

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:00 pm

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:If you turn your brain off

There's your problem right there. A movie that requires you to turn your brain off is never good.

Seriously, though, it only got hate because the WonderFinn's self-loathing extends to their entire generation and they apparently hate all things hipster despite their obviously homosexual relationship with Ran.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:42 pm

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:Seriously, though, it only got hate because the WonderFinn's self-loathing extends to their entire generation and they apparently hate all things hipster despite their obviously homosexual relationship with Ran.

:rofl:

To be honest, the characters of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World really annoyed me. I mean REALLY annoyed me. Most of them came off like nails on a chalkboard, or sitting with awkward, funny-smelling basement dwellers at a science fiction convention, or sitting in the back of the bus surrounded by creepy chronic masturbators gazing at you funny. (No offense to anyone who liked it. That's just what it felt like to me.) But as soon as the film started introducing the world it was in, with its goofy fight scenes and such, it became mildly entertaining for me.

Thumbing through the comic, the film's strange premise and shallow characters seemed much more well-suited for the comic's simplistic character designs and wacky drawings. It probably would have felt better to me as an animated film following the crazy drawing styles and bold colors found in the comic that it did the live-action film.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:57 pm

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:Seriously, though, it only got hate because the WonderFinn's self-loathing extends to their entire generation and they apparently hate all things hipster despite their obviously homosexual relationship with Ran.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:To be honest, the characters of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World really annoyed me. I mean REALLY annoyed me. Most of them came off like nails on a chalkboard, or sitting with awkward, funny-smelling basement dwellers at a science fiction convention, or sitting in the back of the bus surrounded by creepy chronic masturbators gazing at you funny ... But as soon as the film started introducing the world it was in, with its goofy fight scenes and such, it became mildly entertaining for me.

Voluntary Illusion.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:18 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:I didn't recognize Clarke immediately, but it's them all right

[URL=https://min.us/lMRThYtHmgHyU]Image[/URL]

They look funny right there; once in a while even someone like Serious Business Kubrick should loosen up a bit. :lol:

-----------
Edit: Watched The Chronicles of Riddick. Even after several years, the ending still has the best ownage ever. :lol:
Last edited by soul.assassin on Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:32 pm

Prehistoric Women. Very meh movie due to bad execution and pacing.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:29 am

If a film requires you to turn off your brain, then there's a problem. However, if a film does something in such an amazing way that you don't care about anything else then I'm fine with it. Scott Pilgrim was irritating pretty much all the time and never did anything that I would even consider praising. For the sake of comparison I could mention these trashy Japanese films I've been watching lately: Mutant Girls Squad had such a badass opening scene that showcased Nishimura's special effects in top form, kickass Japanese girls and hilarious action so I was taken by it immediately. Even though the first half of the film was somewhat weak I enjoyed the hell out of the ending because I was looking forward to it, thanks to the magnificent opening that made me glad to turn my brain off. Tokyo Gore Police was just so screwed up I yearned for more after every single scene.

@Muggy: Oh, you. That Ran bit fits only for Xard anyway.
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:57 am

If a film requires you to turn off your brain, then there's a problem

Only to film snobs.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:17 am

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Only to film snobs.

Don't change the subject. We're talking about films, not the people who watch them. If I followed your reasoning I could reply with a "Only an idiot wouldn't care about that" which is both a fallacy and plain rude.

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:35 am

We're talking about films, not the people who watch them.

Yes, and films should not require you to turn on your brain unless the genre calls for it and it is not escapism.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:39 am

Why do I even bother replying to you?

Return to “Film and Video”