EvaGeeks' Most Watched Movies of 2011

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:32 pm

Just saw TRON Legacy on DVD.

It had a kind of weak start but...

IT WAS AMAZING.
THE SOUNDTRACK
THE EXECUTION
EVERYTHING.

You guys don´t know how much I regret not seeing this in a cinema when it opened in theaters now.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:47 pm

More festival films:

Isao Takahata's My Neighbours the Yamadas: In short, a refreshing and funny film even though it should have been a little shorter.

Kim Jee-woon's I Saw the Devil: Blleeeeeaaarrgguuhaaaahhhh. Seeing sick filth like this under the worst possible circumstances was a disaster. I'm going to write a long rant of this film tomorrow.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:10 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:Kim Jee-woon's I Saw the Devil: Blleeeeeaaarrgguuhaaaahhhh. Seeing sick filth like this under the worst possible circumstances was a disaster. I'm going to write a long rant of this film tomorrow.

That doesn't sound good. Sorry you didn't enjoy it. I personally thought it was one of the best horror related films I've seen in a long time. Admittedly, it was a bit generic, but I still think it was pretty good mindless fun.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:23 pm

Far Cry and it was great even if the video quality and lighting were a not their best at first.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:49 pm

I've decided to postpone my rant for later - I will most likely include it in my festival report (if I ever get around to writing one, that is).

Hiromasa Yonebayashi's The Borrower Arrietty: It was splendid to see it on the big screen.

Tsui Hark's Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame: Occasionally entertaining, but quite often utterly baffling.
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:18 pm

Had a Godzilla movie marathon on the weekend. Watched some of the earliest ones including the original and the mechagodzilla movies. Then I watched all of the Hesei series. Now I’m waiting for more up dates for the new Godzilla movie the Americans are working on (I really hope it’s not a like that other American Godzilla movie but from the production art I have seen at least Godzilla looks like Godzilla).
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:32 pm

Watched Contagion. Pretty good movie. I liked how realistic it was in it's portrayal of a global outbreak, and even better it didn't waste time trying to wring cheap tears out of the audience. If there was one problem with it it was the music. It was way to generic and forgettable.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|

Postby Fazmotron » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:50 am

Saw a bunch of stuff the past week and a bit;
The Change Up - was a pretty average film, but compared to most other body swap films it was pretty good.
Tarkovsky's Mirror - this was a really cool film, I was kinda mesmerised while watching it. Really interesting and awesomely filmed, I want to see more of Tarkovsky's stuff now.
Heathers - Funny, fairly clever, and kinda the beginning of this sort of teen film, I really liked it.
The Lion King 3D - It was the Lion King, but in crappy 3D, I didn't pay for the horribly expensive tickets though, so all is well.
Johnny English Reborn - stupid film, but entertaining enough to sit through.

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Just saw TRON Legacy on DVD.
IT WAS AMAZING.

High five man.

Just get the Blu-ray and sit really close to the screen with the sound way up, that's how I normally watch it.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:48 pm

@TDSA: Please name all of those Godzilla movies you watched. I'm not going to go out and do research on those films just for this thread.

Sion Sono's Guilty of Romance: Oh boy, I'm going to have so much fun reviewing this film. In a way it was a letdown, but certainly not as bad as some reviews may suggest. Sono might be recycling a thing or two, but he's certainly able to turn those elements around for a new approach EVERY SINGLE TIME. On troll-o-meter it's below Love Exposure and Cold Fish, but not by much.

Yoshimasa Ishibashi's Milocrorze A Love Story: Blergh. Despite being somewhat sympathetic and brave (in its execution) it's completely random and irritating.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:18 pm

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:Johnny English Reborn - stupid film, but entertaining enough to sit

Is it that bad?
I had a lot of fun with the first one.

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:46 pm

@TDSA: Please name all of those Godzilla movies you watched. I'm not going to go out and do research on those films just for this thread.

Don't you mean Final Messenger? By the sound of it he saw Godzilla (1954), Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, Terror of Mechagodzilla, Return of Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Biollante, Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, Godzilla vs. Mothra: Battle for Earth (not to be confused with 1964's Mothra vs. Godzilla which had the names switched in the english release), Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2, Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla, and Godzilla vs. Destoroyah.

Relating to the topic last night I watched Never Cry Werewolf and it was great.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:10 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Don't you mean Final Messenger?

What?

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:By the sound of it he saw

Why are you talking about yourself in third person?

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:19 pm

My brain just exploded when I realized what he was talking about.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:25 pm

In honor of the passing of its' writer, I watched the last thing the writer ever wrote (at least to my knowledge), Tom and Jerry Meet Sherlock Holmes.

Arguably one of the better of the Tom and Jerry Direct to DVD movies, though it's more of love letter to the Holmes' mythology than an actual Tom and Jerry 'movie' (if you know your MGM cartoon history though, you'll be surprised on what you'll see in it), so proceed with the movie if you want a nice way to kill 44 minutes.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:39 pm

What?

Final Messenger was the one who did a Godzilla movie marathon, not me. :thumbsup:
Why are you talking about yourself in third person?

I am the Ancient Enemy.

So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:35 pm

Contagion

I thought it was kind of boring to be honest.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:16 pm

I watched more Godzilla today when I got home from university. Started with Godzilla 2000, then watched Godzilla, mothra king Ghidorah giant monsters all out attack (I wonder why Baragon’s name was not in the title). I’m going to watch some more movies from the millennium series tomorrow.

Side note: looks like I’ve confused some people here I am not TDSA. I’m a nu guy here at the evageeks forums (nu joke was borrowed from TDSA which originally was told in the gundam thread)
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:18 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Just saw TRON Legacy on DVD.

IT WAS AMAZING.
THE SOUNDTRACK
THE EXECUTION
EVERYTHING.
good man

it could have been better but it was still very fun, i.e. what practically every other movie that has a 3D version recently released "tries" to be and fails, one worse after the other

it also helped that I am a massive Daft Punk fan and this was like a spiritual sequel to Discovery/Interstellar 5555
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Fazmotron

Postby Fazmotron » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:40 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Is it that bad?
I had a lot of fun with the first one.

It was fine, the first one is better though.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:50 pm

Watched The Road. It was alright, though not as good as the book.

One thing I'd give it though is it matched the book perfectly in that the son was insufferable for much of the film.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Return to “Film and Video”