What anime are you watching right now? May07-Feb10

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:43 pm

The second season of Zero no Tsukaima managed to piss me off and let me down at every corner, but the second season of Shana so far has been fucking awesome. I am pleasantly surprised.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Rynostar
Embryo

Postby Rynostar » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:42 pm

IGPX.
Ninja Tune in an anime = thumbs up from this guy. Jaga Jazzist, Dj Food, Cinematic Orchestra....heaven for this guy. still have 2 episodes left but I'm lazy about getting to them

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby wildarmsheero » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:40 am

Trigger's Elysium wrote:The second season of Zero no Tsukaima managed to piss me off and let me down at every corner,

See, I don't get this. The only way this kind of reaction makes sense to me is if people were actually taking the show seriously. Which they shouldn't.
Comic | Art | Music | Blog | Anime | DVDs
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

Jay911
Lilith

Postby Jay911 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:47 am

Denno Coil 18 - Yow.
YUA Full Throttle 3 - I see we're back to the ridiculous story ideas in this series again.
--j.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:14 am

Jay911 wrote:Denno Coil 18 - Yow.

That reminds me--I'm supposed to have been watching that, too. I wonder where I left off?...

100 years late, I just caught wind of the controversy kicked up by a little manga/anime called Kodomo no Jikan, so I picked it up. I, like everyone else who cares, am into vol. 4 of the manga and I'm still waiting to be shocked; my verdict thus far is that the prez of Seven Seas is just a huge pussy, but we'll see.

Other stuff I forgot I was watching: Legend of Galactic Heroes, Sonic X, Pita-Ten, Ebichu... I think there were more, I but I forgot.
Last edited by Hexon.Arq on Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:46 pm

wildarmsheero wrote:See, I don't get this. The only way this kind of reaction makes sense to me is if people were actually taking the show seriously. Which they shouldn't.

I wasn't. That was an exagerration. It did let me down a lot, compared to the first season especially, and that was kind of frustrating to watch, I guess. Were you thinking I was getting physically pissed off IRL, or something? It's not like it's beyond a fictional series to annoy you because it's shitty, or something.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:10 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:100 years late, I just caught wind of the controversy kicked up by a little manga/anime called Kodomo no Jikan, so I picked it up. I, like many people, am into vol. 4 of the manga and I'm still waiting to be shocked; my verdict thus far is that the prez of Seven Seas is just a huge pussy, but we'll see.

The OVA is uncensored. But the TV series so far has these huge spinning circles over a lot of the episode. Kind of annoying because you don't know what's going on at all.

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby wildarmsheero » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:26 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:
wildarmsheero wrote:See, I don't get this. The only way this kind of reaction makes sense to me is if people were actually taking the show seriously. Which they shouldn't.

Were you thinking I was getting physically pissed off IRL, or something? It's not like it's beyond a fictional series to annoy you because it's shitty, or something.
No, it's just I've seen these kinds of comments often regarding this show and I find it strange. Then again, I watched this show with my other head.
Comic | Art | Music | Blog | Anime | DVDs
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:47 pm

Ornette wrote:The OVA is uncensored. But the TV series so far has these huge spinning circles over a lot of the episode. Kind of annoying because you don't know what's going on at all.

I saw both of those. After reading the manga, I think you pretty much find out what has been censored scene-by-scene. But having watched anime almost exclusively on DVD for so long, I'm not really familiar with what the Japanese consider appropriate for television. By the standards I had assumed based on the "weird shit" that makes its way over here via the internet, no major lines were really being breached* unless the show happens to be airing in the middle of the afternoon, which it probably shouldn't be based solely on the subject matter, and if it isn't then I would guess that about half the censorship was implemented to encourage DVD sales among lolicons and pedos.

There were a few edits that were just kind of... strange. Like the scene where Kuro barges into the office to inform Aoki about Rin being in a tree. What the $&**@! did she say that had to be bleeped? The translation I read, IIRC, just had her shouting "SENSEI!!!" And when Aoki has that vision that merited such a generously conspicuous edit, I wonder if they haven't made the cartoon ecchier than the manga, because the equivalent panel was, I thought, pretty mild.

Maybe I've just spent too much time on... there.

*EDIT: Okay, I thought of one. When I found out what had been edited out I almost spat my Ovaltine.

_get some help

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

Postby Omegagouki » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:39 pm

Well, I'm up to the beginning of the third arc in Higurashi now, and I finished Rozen Maiden's first season just this afternoon. Things are good. :D
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:44 am

Omegagouki wrote:...and I finished Rozen Maiden's first season just this afternoon. Things are good. :D

Ah yes, I forgot to mention Rozen Maiden. Saw that too. Can't wait for season 3.

_get some help

AchtungAffen
Banned

Postby AchtungAffen » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:47 am

Is there gonna be season 3 or you're talking about Ouverture?
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:53 am

AchtungAffen wrote:Is there gonna be season 3 or you're talking about Ouverture?

No, I'm just making an as of yet unfounded assumption. The show will probably go the way of those whose finales are essentially ads for the manga, but I really hope not. Even that, as I understand (though haven't read) it, is still technically awaiting a conclusion.

_get some help

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:15 am

The Sci-Fi club here on campus had a viewing of The Sisters of Wellber. If it weren't for that bizarre talking sentient tank (who, if there is ANY JUSTICE in this world, will be voiced by Sean Connery if a dub is produced), I probably would have set fire to the screen with Manly Tears of Rage and Sadness rolling down my face.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:01 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:Even [the RM manga], as I understand (though haven't read) it, is still technically awaiting a conclusion.

There was some unpleasantness between studio, publisher and mangaka, and he took his toys home ... actually he had Laplace tell the dolls that playtime was over for this cycle, and to go to sleep until next time. So it has ended without any resolution.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:58 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
Hexon.Arq wrote:Even [the RM manga], as I understand (though haven't read) it, is still technically awaiting a conclusion.

There was some unpleasantness between studio, publisher and mangaka, and he took his toys home ... actually he had Laplace tell the dolls that playtime was over for this cycle, and to go to sleep until next time. So it has ended without any resolution.

NOOOOOOOOO. don't fuggin' TELL me that! Aww.

Shitsux.

_get some help

AchtungAffen
Banned

Postby AchtungAffen » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:43 pm

How much does the manga continue beyond the 2nd season of the animé until they end up sleeping again? Do they bring back Hina and Souseiseki before that?
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:22 pm

I'm not sure -- I've only seen the last two pages as posted on /a/ amongst a lot of BAWWWWWing
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:57 pm

http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=128528#128528

Finished Gankutsuou which was excellent (might even have to try the original some time -- also got around to getting a copy of The Stars My Destination to read again).

Also finished Nanoha StrikerS which wasn't helped by all the fansub drama faggotry. It was possibly a bit too long, and, for a series that had previously been carried along on a tide of escalating beam-spam, a little too serious and restrained; but I shall have to rewatch and get a better paced view of it.

Moyashimon is probably going to carry on as a filler; Shugo Chara possibly also. And I'm this close to getting bored of Higurashi Kai build-up ... if this arc is going to be the rest of the series and GOOD END, it's about 10 episodes too long. I was interrupted in the middle of watching ep 16, and haven't gone back, even after a few days.

Jay911
Lilith

Postby Jay911 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:46 pm

Denno Coil 19 - Each one deserves a more intense reaction than the last, so consider this Yow^n+1.

Lucky Star - Got into this series if I haven't said so already. Oha-lucky!
--j.

Return to “Old Stickies”