Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:48 pm

I guess I should post this here.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:07 pm

View Original PostThe Bastard King wrote:Holy shit. Just watched the movie in 1080p on a large TV

I jelly ;_;

(out of curiosity, how'd you do it?)

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:46 pm

Via my PS3.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:05 pm

Wait, does the PS3 render softsubs? Or did you hardsub it yourself?

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:18 pm

Via my Linux.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:31 pm

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:I jelly ;_;

(out of curiosity, how'd you do it?)

You can always just buy a graphics card with HDMI out, I think I got mine for less than $20. It's how I watched the movie on my big TV.

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:36 pm

Even easier: use a DVI to HDMI cable (around $15) and a separate audio cable to connect a computer/laptop to a HDTV. Or use a VGA cable, since most HDTVs have a VGA input.
Software Error. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #00000004.0000AAC0

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:52 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:You can always just buy a graphics card with HDMI out, I think I got mine for less than $20. It's how I watched the movie on my big TV.

Well, I still have my (good value but still expensive) ATI 4890 which has served me well but it only has DVI/VGA. I have a DVI-->HDMI converter, but how's the quality? Can the DVI send enough information to keep up with big 1080p movies?

Baz wrote:Even easier: use a DVI to HDMI cable (around $15) and a separate audio cable to connect a computer/laptop to a HDTV. Or use a VGA cable, since most HDTVs have a VGA input.

I have the audio cable (which works great). I just need an HDMI cable but I wasn't sure if the quality would even be good, as I used a VGA cable (which works) but the quality is really really disappointing compared to when I just plug a flash memory card straight to the monitor and play things through there.

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:02 pm

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:I have a DVI-->HDMI converter, but how's the quality? Can the DVI send enough information to keep up with big 1080p movies?

Yes. DVI can easily handle the bandwidth of 1080p at 24/30/60Hz with no loss of quality. DVI is a lossless, digital standard while VGA is a lossy, analog standard. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether DVI can do 120Hz at 1080p.

Another way to look at is that the DVI signal is identical to the HDMI 1.0 RGB video signal. That's why only a cable is needed, and not a converter box.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:10 pm

View Original PostBaz wrote:Yes. DVI can easily handle the bandwidth of 1080p at 24/30/60Hz with no loss of quality. DVI is a lossless, digital standard while VGA is a lossy, analog standard. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether DVI can do 120Hz at 1080p.

Another way to look at is that the DVI signal is identical to the HDMI 1.0 RGB video signal. That's why only a cable is needed, and not a converter box.

Hmm..Do you mean it might pose a problem that the TV is 120HZ?

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:23 pm

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:Hmm..Do you mean it might pose a problem that the TV is 120HZ?

No. Your TV displays films at 24hz and television at 30hz (roughly). It'll accept a 60hz input just fine. (Notice 120 is a multiple of all these?)

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:26 pm

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:Hmm..Do you mean it might pose a problem that the TV is 120HZ?

Any 120Hz TV can accept a 60Hz signal. But if your eyes are very sensitive to judder, full-screen pans of a 24fps movie will look a little smoother at 120Hz than at 60Hz.

The bonus of HDMI over DVI is that HDMI can provide a 24fps signal and let the TV do an optimal conversion to 120Hz. With DVI, the computer does a 24fps to 60Hz conversion, which introduces judder because 60 is not a multiple of 24, and then sends a 60Hz signal to the TV.

EDIT: Just thinking out loud here, but if you set your computer to output 1080i over DVI, and then set your TV to "film" mode, the TV should be able to exactly reproduce the 24fps film frames and display them with no judder. All TVs have a "film" mode to eliminate judder for over-the-air TV movies, which are always 1080p24 converted to 1080i for broadcast.

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:54 pm

SPOILER: Show

Late post, I know, but damn this is one incredible movie. I think I'll start reading the light novels now.

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:40 am

I just finished watching it. My favorite part at the beginning was the Mikuru PANCHI!
That, and Kyon warming his hands with the hot air from the SOS-dan computer.

What a long movie. Most excellent, though. The final scene after the credits was heartbreaking.

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:31 am

View Original PostCombs wrote:
SPOILER: Show

Late post, I know, but damn this is one incredible movie. I think I'll start reading the light novels now.

They are wonderful. I strongly recommend them. Baka-tsuki appears to have the best translations.

You can join the rest of us in shaking our fists at the author for delaying on ten.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:58 am

Damn Yukifags

Stop being sad and be happy Kyon became manly awesome in sardonic and unmanly way

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby cd603 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:11 pm

i kinda feel like the movie is trying to say "srry guys for the endless eight...do you want some of this cake???"

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:32 am

They put out season two and Haruhi-chan with the spare budget because the film was taking so long, hence endless eight.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:35 am

View Original PostEnki v.2 wrote:They put out season two and Haruhi-chan with the spare budget because the film was taking so long, hence endless eight.

Do you actually have any proof for this. I doubt film's development cycle was that long

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:19 pm

No, I'm pretty sure there's some credit to his theory. Long before Season 2 was even announced, teasers and viral advertisement was already out for Disappearance.

Return to “Anime and Manga”