Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya [spoilers]

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:38 pm

I would think a thread like this would have been made already, but after searching through five pages of topics here, I suppose I was wrong. Feel free to point me in the right direction if I missed it.

So, I watched the movie yesterday and it impressed me enough to make this post. Heck, after finishing it I ran out and yelled "All is forgiven!" to my roommate. He gave me a funny look.

Has anyone else seen Disappearance? What do you think of it? For my own part, I was very impressed with the character development. It spoke volumes that you could essentially remove the title character from the plot and it could still stand on its own. The two most interesting characters get a healthy dose of development, the animation seemed spectacular (I saw a camrip), and the music and story were excellent. Earlier I made the claim that when you sacrificed everything that made the first season good (art, humor, variety, sheer novelty) and focused on plot (Season 2), The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya was mediocre at best. I stand corrected.

So tell me, what are your thoughts about this film, if you've seen it? I've marked the topic with "[spoilers]" because I want to be able to discuss the movie itself without hiding big blocks of text. If you haven't seen it, be forewarned; otherwise, let's talk!
Gamer_2k4

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:06 pm

The novel of Disapperance is fucking amazing; even somewhat Eva-ish.

The film adaption I can't wait to see. It's nice to hear (according to reviews) that it even includes a scene or two from one of the later books. :3

SPOILER: Show
Kyon from 10 days/a week or two later helping his bleeding past self.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:02 pm

Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya was amazing. Zap (and plenty of others… only single him out since he responded such when I splooged about it briefly over in Film/Video) have praised the light novels enough that I finally decided to look into them, so I’ll be reading Disappearance very soon if only to see how the film stacks up :lol:

On its own grounds, the film was superb—shot well, edited exceptionally well, and the writing all around was just fantastic. The narrative itself was also a blast, and its pacing really owed a lot to its somewhat unique yet gripping structure. In terms of character development I don't think too much new ground is made, only exception being Kyon... his speech at the end where he finally "gets it" is pretty damn important--and badass as hell. Some folks on /a/ have mentioned more thorough development of Nagato's character, but TBH I didn't see all that much development being made with her. She was given a lot of screen time and a LOT of the plot's focus, but with the exception of the fact that she cracked under strain, I don't think any more of her character was revealed past what had already been established.

Its animation is the toughest to comment on, if only cuz I watched a camrip, but even despite camrip’s muddiness there were plenty of scenes that had pretty impressive visuals. I can’t wait until I see a DVD/BluRei version of this when it comes out.

Gamer_2k4 wrote: Earlier I made the claim that when you sacrificed everything that made the first season good (art, humor, variety, sheer novelty) and focused on plot (Season 2), The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya was mediocre at best. I stand corrected.
:lol: :) I like the first season a lot, but I found the second season to be good but not ‘at the same level’ as the first (though I’m probably the only person in the world that enjoyed the Endless Eight eps). I think my hang-up with the second season was mostly with the Sigh arc, since the “movie” that kicked off the first season didn’t really need to be explained IMO. It was essentially more of the same from what we saw in season 1, minus the cool structuring & episode juggling. But I should probably rewatch all 28 eps in chronological order, since that would really make the whole thing more cohesive…

But the movie… man the movie stands head & shoulders above either season IMO. Shit, now that I’m done my paper I think I’ll rewatch it :lol:

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:37 am

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Some folks on /a/ have mentioned more thorough development of Nagato's character, but TBH I didn't see all that much development being made with her. She was given a lot of screen time and a LOT of the plot's focus, but with the exception of the fact that she cracked under strain, I don't think any more of her character was revealed past what had already been established.

Well, I'd say we learned something incredibly important about Yuki. We were given hints that she was developing emotions in the computer game episode, sure, but there was absolutely no indication that she was so tired of her duties and so infatuated with Kyon that she would STEAL HARUHI'S POWERS (itself a stunning accomplishment; why has no one done this before if it's possible?) and completely remake the world in such a way that the two of them are set on the path to be together!

It's just a phenomenal revelation to me. And even in this selfish act of Yuki's, we see that she still values the wishes of one person: Kyon. She's willing to throw away all she wants and hopes for, instead returning to her submissive observer state, simply because he wants it that way. Because he chooses Haruhi over her! There's no way you can convince me that's not epic character development.
Gamer_2k4

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:05 am

Like I said, Eva vibes. :P

The parallels of Rei/Yuki wanting to give Shinji/Kyon the world (so to speak) they desired--out of love/some type of feelings for the lead--really stood out to me in Haruhi novel 4...

Speaking of Eva, Kyon has an Eva-style psycho-analysis in the film? I look forward to it. >=3

And by the way, IIRC, Yuki partly did what she did for Kyon due to going nuts (powers included) from Endless Eight (which I also loved).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:42 am

Gamer_2k4 wrote:Well, I'd say we learned something incredibly important about Yuki.
the stuff you’ve mentioned was already foreshadowed pretty clearly, though—maybe not so much in the novels (I dunno yet, haven’t read them all), but the endless eight episodes really established several patterns that highlighted Yuki’s growing ‘anomalies’ and infatuation with Kyon. When you combine this with the notion that Yuki could go ape-shit just like Asakura did in season 1, then it becomes clear that Yuki isn’t infallible in the least.

Yeah, it was a well-played revelation, and it was pretty epic, but I can’t say that the audience was blindsided by it. If anything it was further cementing aspects of her character that the audience was already familiar with.
SSD wrote: Speaking of Eva, Kyon has an Eva-style psycho-analysis in the film? I look forward to it. >=3
yeah if you’re thinking of the piece I am, then that’s the friggin badass speech he gives near the end where he kicks himself in the head. Quite literally, I might add. It’s hard to say what the BEST PARTS of the movie are in a movie that was consistently awesome, but that speech was definitely one of the high points :lol:

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Heromaster111 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:25 pm

I am torrenting this as we speak while marathoning through S2 cause tbqh I forgot about it until I saw trailer for this a few weeks ago. Up to ep 7 plan on watching movie either tonite or tomorrow depending on whether my philosophy paper lets me >_<

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:51 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:And by the way, IIRC, Yuki partly did what she did for Kyon due to going nuts (powers included) from Endless Eight (which I also loved).

For some reason the effects of that arc didn't even occur to me when I watched the film. I remember Kyon being all "you're not buggy; you just can't spend time with humans without picking up emotions." In retrospect, that's gotta be dead wrong. If my hastily attempted math is correct, Yuki spent 600 years repeating the same two weeks over and over again. No wonder it broke her.

Also, about the "epic monologue"...It was okay, but nothing near NGE standards. Instead of a 40-minute display of internal conflict and damaged psyches, it was just some introspection with a gist of, "I thought I was fed up with Haruhi's antics, so why did I choose that world? Oh yeah, because it fun." However, I will admit that the visual effects they chose to represent Kyon's thoughts were very well done, and it was very sad to see him ultimately pull away from the new Yuki.
Gamer_2k4

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:19 pm

I knew this would happen, but it was a lot sooner than I would have thought. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-04-15/bandai-entertainment-adds-the-disappearance-of-haruhi-suzumiya
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Heromaster111 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:42 pm

I would hope that Bandai releases it on BD in US but they probably won't.

*looks at .hack//GU Trilogy*
Currently Playing-Battlefield:Bad Company 2 and SF4

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:48 am

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

I'm still waiting for news on S2 DVD release dates, though. I guess. Not that it matters considering Disappearance pwns S2 like Lando Calrissian

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:03 am

I've heard good things about this movie. Glowing things really.

But would I need to be versed in the Haruhi universe to actually get any of it? I watched the first season when it came out and was "The Second Coming" but I only found the show to be cute and instantly forgettable.

Basically, does it tell a character driven story during its 160 minute running time (jesus fucking christ really?) that someone who doesn't know or really care about the tiniest details of the show can get into?

...Also at 163 minutes does that make it the longest theatrical anime film ever?

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Heromaster111 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:30 am

If your asking if it's a standalone movie, it isn't.
Currently Playing-Battlefield:Bad Company 2 and SF4

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:23 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Basically, does it tell a character driven story during its 160 minute running time (jesus fucking christ really?) that someone who doesn't know or really care about the tiniest details of the show can get into?
You need to know who the characters are, and that weird shit like alternate dimensions, time travel, etc are pretty much the norm within its fictional universe. Other than that I think the first 25min of the film establishes the universe, characters, 'plight', before it really kicks it up a notch and goes full awesome. Seeing the series is intended beforehand, since one of the later parts of the film takes place durring one of the episodes of the series (loltimetravel)...

:shrug: I guess watch at own risk? As long as you know about S2's happenings I'm not sure if you really need to have SEEN it all. "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody" is probably the most important ep from S2 in this respect, though.

Gendo'sPapa wrote:...Also at 163 minutes does that make it the longest theatrical anime film ever?
Nope. Final Yamato's got a nearly 3-hour run time--roughly 175min uncut, and something like 165 on the theatrical run IIRC. I haven't seen it yet, but it's been on my list for awhile--it's one of two more SBY flicks that I still need to see.

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:19 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Basically, does it tell a character driven story during its 160 minute running time (jesus fucking christ really?) that someone who doesn't know or really care about the tiniest details of the show can get into?

Well, it helps to know what Yuki is normally like, and of course the movie builds on things already mentioned in the anime. Oh, and of course it's kind of a big deal to know what Haruhi really is and what the other brigade members' roles are. Knowing about the Asakura knife scene in the first season wouldn't hurt either. I do think that the movie would work reasonably well by itself, though (I've only watched it once, and I didn't think do consider how it would appear to someone who knew nothing about the anime). At any rate, if you've seen the first season, that should be more than sufficient, since the second season (except for the first episode) honestly felt like filler garbage.

And wow, who would've thought that Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody would be such a pivotal episode?
Gamer_2k4

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:36 pm

View Original PostGamer_2k4 wrote:And wow, who would've thought that Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody would be such a pivotal episode?

Anyone that read the novels.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

roblucci01
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby roblucci01 » Tue May 04, 2010 8:09 pm

I LOVED the movie, and I am not even that big a fan of Haruhi. I mean, the show was okay, but this...

I mean this thing just kicked ass as a movie and actually stands as one of my favorite anime films now.
I hate the internet

T.G. Cid
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby T.G. Cid » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:51 am

I'm not going to lie - I thought for sure that Kyon would end up as our slider. The only issue I have is the running time. I really wish it had been turned into a bunch of S2 episodes and Endless Eight (renamed Endless Summer) had been two or three episodes.
"...so in conclusion, the Great Gatsby was just a great big love triangle."

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:52 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:The novel of Disapperance is fucking amazing; even somewhat Eva-ish.

The film version has a scene very reminiscent of EoTV.

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:39 pm

Holy shit. Just watched the movie in 1080p on a large TV, and choked on my beverage when Asakura came in and went to town on Kyon.

All said, amazing movie. Also, now I get the December 18th release date.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Return to “Anime and Manga”