Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Fri May 13, 2011 1:28 am

That was beautiful, Merri. I don't think the feelings for one's waifu could have been explained any better than that. Good job. Happy birthday, Saber.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Fri May 13, 2011 1:44 am

Happy birthday, Saber. Enjoy the cake Merridian has baked for you.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri May 13, 2011 1:45 am

@Merri -- baking a cake? You know that means you have to take that picture and post it now, don't you?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Fri May 13, 2011 1:52 am

And I thought my Perfume obsession was bad. :unsure:
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri May 13, 2011 2:02 am

Well, looks like someone (*cough*) was willing to spend some effort :hahaha:

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:@Merri -- baking a cake? You know that means you have to take that picture and post it now, don't you?

:devil:

make it happen

I feel like such a idiot for not perusing pixiv last month because I found tons of much better birthday pics, but at least I can put my account to some use now~

....well huh, looks like I'm too early because there's two pics so far and neither has particularly good art. Guess I should wait.

So instead: Happy birthday Saber~ :D

and if 3DPD is okay

SPOILER: Show

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Fri May 13, 2011 11:53 pm

Thanks guys. I put more effort than I probably should have into that confession. Cake was good too, even though it was one of those store bought powder-from-a-box kind that you just throw together with a couple other ingredients.

Mr. Tines wrote:@Merri -- baking a cake? You know that means you have to take that picture and post it now, don't you?
dahahaha :rofl:

Speaking of that, Miss Testarosa's birthday is conveniently ambiguous, isn't it?

Oz wrote:And I thought my Perfume obsession was bad.
There is nothing bad about moe love. It is rejuvenation for the soul and a natural byproduct of consuming certain kinds of fiction. Ignoring it, or repressing it, is unhealthy.

The only thing that is remotely bad involving moe love is the consumerist aspect, which I'm all too aware of. I try not to think about the money I've blown on silly (but GORGEOUS) figurines. At least I'm in a position where I can pay for things like this.

Xard wrote:and if 3DPD is okay
It's weird. Saber cosplay--any cosplay, really--always has a very very high capacity for evoking utmost disgust and generally has an incredibly high rate of failure. I've seen this girl's Saber cosplay floating around in the internet for some time, and it's certainly one of the better ones around... probably the best I've seen, actually. But there's still something not right about it. I guess that added dimension really does make a difference.

Sometimes, 3D just isn't OK.

psychosis090
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby psychosis090 » Sat May 14, 2011 8:39 am

I feel like I have to go and take a shower, now.

A hot, SCALDING one.
You think ignorance is cute? Well, I suppose you think mental retardation is downright adorable! - Ed Wuncler, Sr.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sat May 14, 2011 2:42 pm

:bow: :exalt: :bow: :exalt: :bow: :exalt:
ALL HAIL THE KING!!! LOVE LIVE THE KING!!
Could this humble servant be allowed to say Many Happy Returns to Your Majesty?

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:@Merri -- baking a cake? You know that means you have to take that picture and post it now, don't you?

Not only that, but following Japanese tradition, her greatest image needs to be displayed on the screen, her most favorite food accompanying the cake, and her most glorious and beautiful figures and/or posters in the background ;)

View Original PostOz wrote:And I thought my Perfume obsession was bad. :unsure:

If you still think it was "bad" then you have yet to reach "true fan" level :lol:

View Original PostXard wrote:and if 3DPD is okay

SPOILER: Show
[URL=http://img198.imageshack.us/i/sabercosplay.jpg/]Image[/URL]

Looks like the same girl as this? I think she looks the closest among the cosplayers. I can understand Merri's mixed feelings though. Criteria for waifu are not really the same... Just imagine a Ranka cosplay 3DPD....
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat May 14, 2011 2:48 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Speaking of that, Miss Testarosa's birthday is conveniently ambiguous, isn't it?
Do you mean Tessa or Feito-chan; and whose waifu are you suggesting she might be? I will admit to more often celebrating my own birthday with mai waifu than hers.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sat May 14, 2011 2:51 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:If you still think it was "bad" then you have yet to reach "true fan" level :lol:

Nah, that was just my way of trying to make him feel guilty. :lol: Appreciating post-Computer City Perfume is all fine in my books right now. I appreciate the indie singles as lulz, but nothing beyond that. For the most part, they can be quite irritating.

As for the topic itself, the closest thing I have to a waifu would probably be Kashiyuka. Yes, 3DPD. Too bad she is not looking for a boyfriend anymore.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sat May 14, 2011 2:59 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:Nah, that was just my way of trying to make him feel guilty. :lol:

Good luck with that. :) Even before his love post I was sure that his fan level could easily stand such assault. He has Saber of all people in his heart. He will surely prevail!! :lol:

Come to think of it, how does her birthday get determined? Don't think it was based on the historical(?) figure, I would think?
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sat May 14, 2011 4:12 pm

Merridian, were you the one who posted Saber pics 24 hours on /a/ yesterday?

It's what made me actually download the game but I wonder if I should watch the anime first, mmm.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sat May 14, 2011 6:01 pm

Mr. Tines wrote: Do you mean Tessa or Feito-chan; and whose waifu are you suggesting she might be? I will admit to more often celebrating my own birthday with mai waifu than hers.
Ah, my mistake. How could I forget that?

Well, unfortunately the cake is already gone. When July comes around, I’ll be sure to document the celebration of my own birthday with Saber. :)

symbv wrote: Come to think of it, how does her birthday get determined? Don't think it was based on the historical(?) figure, I would think?
I have no idea. King Arthur’s “birthday” (in quotes because he’s something of a pseudo-historical figure anyway) was supposed to be in December, I think, sometime near Christmas. If it wasn’t just some randomly conceived date by fans, then I’d imagine that the kind of arbitrary decision-making that went into Saber’s birthday was the same kind that went into deciding Cu Chulainn would be a tall, suave, humorous bro who wore a tracksuit (or some kind of Tron outfit) rather than a short, cantankerous Irish wildman covered in furs. :lol:

It might be mentioned in Hollow Ataraxia, but given that it hasn’t been fully translated, I wouldn’t know.

Fireball wrote: Merridian, were you the one who posted Saber pics 24 hours on /a/ yesterday?
Nah. /a/ has a lot of Saber fans, but they’re usually pretty quiet and reserved on every other time of the year. Even with the recent buzz about Fate/Zero adaptation, there’s only been two or three decent Saber dumps that I can remember in the past six months or so. And most of those were of Saber Lily.

Fate/Stay Night threads generally just devolve into insufferable power level wars or monotonous arguments over which route was the best. I only lurk them to find artwork I haven’t already horded, TBH.

Fireball wrote: It's what made me actually download the game but I wonder if I should watch the anime first, mmm.
Don’t do that. DEEN’s little more than an utterly mediocre studio that churns out utterly mediocre products. The Fate/Stay Night series they did could have been really good, but even without comparing it to the VN, it kinda blows. My biggest problems with it were how it was marred by lame animation and REALLY lame directing. Kenji Kawai’s OST was the only part that was good about it; the rest of it was either bland or bad. The Unlimited Blade Works movie was pretty cool, though. It just makes absolutely no sense to anyone who hasn’t already played the route.

Adaptation-wise, it'll spoil you a little bit but... I dunno, the narrative seemed like it was trying to make sense of a three-route fusion. It was still mostly just the Fate route with a couple of scenes from UBW mixed in (and maybe one or two scenes from Heaven's Feel), though. Oh yeah, and horribly rendered dragons & dolphins.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat May 14, 2011 6:39 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:DEEN’s little more than an utterly mediocre studio that churns out utterly mediocre products.
Simoun, Marimite, Giant Killing,...

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sat May 14, 2011 8:10 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Simoun, Marimite, Giant Killing,...

Agreed, they're the only titles that actually sold pretty well, the few hits in a sea of Deen's misses.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:33 pm

Hey Merr, Busy Street found out about this place.

Guess who they commented about?
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:39 pm

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:Hey Merr, Busy Street found out about this place.

oh my... I presume Merri's fine poetry got the highest honour

welp, now that I posted again here I might as well make the following (in this case a bit blurry, admittedly) distinction:

series Ranka: imouto
film Ranka: waifu

that is all.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:43 pm

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:Hey Merr, Busy Street found out about this place.

I wish I knew what you were talking about.

Ah wait, five minutes after google magicks and I'm listening to what the fuck

what

I didn't listen to the whole thing. Does he actually say the words "moe love" out loud?

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:45 pm

Link?
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:45 pm

it's a podcast? fuck that shit, I thought it was in text form :/

Return to “Anime and Manga”