Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:20 pm

Merridian wrote:I found the visuals too good to pass up.

Let's not forget the epic soundtrack. Yoko Kanno is a genius.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:51 pm

BrikHaus wrote:
Merridian wrote:I found the visuals too good to pass up.
Let's not forget the epic soundtrack. Yoko Kanno is a genius.
:thumbsup: If imports weren't so insanely expensive I'd own everything Kanno's done.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:02 pm

Escaflowne is an amazing show. Ran a web site for it for years. I know I'll probably get flamed for this given the type of forum I'm at, but I always felt it was a higher quality show than Eva. :P
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:04 pm

Quiddity wrote: I'll probably get flamed for this given the type of forum I'm at, but I always felt it was a higher quality show than Eva. :P

Other members have mentioned they like other shows more than Evangelion. It isn't a big deal.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Lament
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Lament » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:19 pm

First impressions of the movie:

Van has a Tarzan costume. WHY?!

Everytime Allen is onscreen it feels like a shampoo commercial. That perfect shiny hair! Yeaah, still hating him.

Hmm. I was afraid of the AU-thing but they still have Gaia and Mystic Moon. Yay. And I like the steampunk-feel :]

I'd like to see more Escaflowne and other mecha (Allen's)~

Is it me or are the noses less pointy than in the series? Or maybe I'm just used to them... :ninja:
In other words...

alabaster
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby alabaster » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:37 pm

Just finished the series and enjoyed it quite a bit although Hitomi got on my nerves. If I never hear another 'Oh, Van', 'Oh, Allen', again, it will be too soon. And for someone who wanted to stop interfering, she never did.

Still, some interesting ideas and I liked the other world and its characters.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Alabaster

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:04 pm

Dug this up because I have a question that's been nagging me for a while. The Japanese BDs contain scenes not included in the north american broadcast, and now that funimation has licensed it (both series and movie a few months ago) I was wondering how they might handle it. The missing footage isn't much, but I doubt they'd bring the old dub cast back and redub it, but I also doubt they'd splice it in without an english audio track.

I thought they might just include them as deleted scenes, but can they even do that if the Japanese remaster they're using includes them? I don't know how this stuff works.

EDIT: And for the record, I haven't seen the dub and am in favor of getting the blu ray over here in it's unaltered form.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:13 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:Dug this up because I have a question that's been nagging me for a while. The Japanese BDs contain scenes not included in the north american broadcast, and now that funimation has licensed it (both series and movie a few months ago) I was wondering how they might handle it. The missing footage isn't much, but I doubt they'd bring the old dub cast back and redub it, but I also doubt they'd splice it in without an english audio track.

I thought they might just include them as deleted scenes, but can they even do that if the Japanese remaster they're using includes them? I don't know how this stuff works.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. Scenes like one where Volken's flying castle appears above Tokyo and the like?

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:23 pm

Yeah, those. I think. Not sure what else they could be.

Edit: According to Wikipedia the scenes in question weren't in the original Japanese broadcast either.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:40 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:Yeah, those. I think. Not sure what else they could be.

Edit: According to Wikipedia the scenes in question weren't in the original Japanese broadcast either.

They're scenes animated for playstation game that would've taken place in series had it had its original 38 episode run IIRC.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:51 pm

It looks like I dont know what I'm talking about then.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:15 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:It looks like I dont know what I'm talking about then.

Well for whatever reason they were classified as "deleted scenes" in the batch of Escaflowne I have dl'd too. However those scenes were never part of tv series in Japanese broadcasts. I mean, it's not like the whole Dunbinesque "lol giant mechas in tokyo naow" sequence even fits anywhere in the series, storywise.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:25 pm

They would have to include them as deleted scenes, if they plan to include them at all.

There's no way they would incur the costs of a redub for a few brief scenes for an ancient show like Escaflowne.

That said, I'd really like to see a nice blu-ray release of this show. It's an all-time favorite. I'm glad I've got the movie on blu-ray. Yes, I'm one of those weird people who actually liked the movie.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:19 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:That said, I'd really like to see a nice blu-ray release of this show. It's an all-time favorite.
That's why I brought it up. Funi announced they got the license along with Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop a few months ago and I'm hoping it gets released sometime this year.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:58 pm

The cut scenes in question were also part of Bandai's DVD release, and I believe they are described as such when you access them.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Falcon_of_the_Sun
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Falcon_of_the_Sun » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:00 am

I remember watching it in the late 90s. I liked it, but I wasn't dying for it. I'd agree with the 7/10. The shojo element annoyed me quite a bit. Also I was in that "after NGE, the deluge" phase (which somehow never really ended) so the whole "kid that has to activate a mecha against all odds" seemed like a rip off (while, well, NGE was hardly the first to do it) plus the fact that Van's older brother is a robotised bad guy was kinda Starwarsesque to me.

I think TV aired it more or less at the same time as Trigun, which I found so much more original and interesting, albeit the production quality was miles away from Escaflowne's, which was very impressive indeed.

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:44 pm

I personally think this is one of the most underrated pieces of mecha out there.

Beautiful designs, beautiful art, beautiful music, a nice love story, a very nice setting.

When it comes to fantasy mecha, I don't think you can get any better than it, except for Five Star Stories, but that's a whole other monster.

But HURR THE NOSES

I like the noses. They fit the artstyle and the era of said artstyle. It was back when they actually bothered to draw noses instead of some vague line like they do nowadays (most of the time).

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:55 am

View Original Postmaster_lloyd wrote:I remember seeing Escaflowne on Cartoon Network or Fox Kids back in the early 2000's. It was during their "let's edit anime to show to kids" phase.

I recall this, I caught a few episodes, at the time I had not seen anything more violent than digimon, so the shows violence startled but intrigued me, it was taken off the air well before the ending and me and a friend who I watched it with concluded that the censors must have had 2nd thoughts

Return to “Anime and Manga”