Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:47 pm

Toradora is a romance anime geared towards people who have had actual relationships.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:53 pm

Aw darn, I really liked Genocyber and Angel Cop...
I do agree that MD Geist & Death Force both really sucked, though.

I think the only anime series I both finished AND hated would be Elfen Lied. Both times I've watched it, it's been in a single sitting, and both times I've felt exactly the same way: it's too melodramatic for me to take very seriously. I don't mind naked chicks tearing people apart, in fact, that usually ADDS to the charm of a piece. But when the naked chicks start angsting about regular dramatic teenage garbage that's been done countless times (and done BETTER countless times), I'm going to lose interest pretty quick. In the end, it struck me as just another whine-fest coming-of-age disfunctional tragedy dressed up with cool visuals and gore. And I wasn't a big fan of the character designs either, so that doesn't help my opinion of it.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:38 pm

Merridian wrote:Aw darn, I really liked Genocyber and Angel Cop...
I do agree that MD Geist & Death Force both really sucked, though.

I think the only anime series I both finished AND hated would be Elfen Lied. Both times I've watched it, it's been in a single sitting, and both times I've felt exactly the same way: it's too melodramatic for me to take very seriously. I don't mind naked chicks tearing people apart, in fact, that usually ADDS to the charm of a piece. But when the naked chicks start angsting about regular dramatic teenage garbage that's been done countless times (and done BETTER countless times), I'm going to lose interest pretty quick. In the end, it struck me as just another whine-fest coming-of-age disfunctional tragedy dressed up with cool visuals and gore. And I wasn't a big fan of the character designs either, so that doesn't help my opinion of it.

Can you really include the word "regular" in any sentence involving Elfen Lied? I like the show, but yeah, it isn't as godlike as some people claim. You either connect with the show or not. I prefer the manga(besides the ending).

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:58 pm

Yu Yu Hakusho, you mean?

Naw it was something of darkness maybe domain of darkness or decent of darkness or something like that.

You either connect with the show or not

I think I'm one of the rare people inbetween I thought it was alright but nothing too special.

EDIT: MY GOD I JUST REMEMBERED THE WORST ANIMES EVER! HOW COULD I HAVE FORGOTTEN THESE? I MUST HAVE BLANKED THEM FROM MY MEMORY THEY WERE SO BAD!

Hamtaro: I hate this show with a scathing passion even during my lazy days when I just didnt feel like changing the channel, this show was so bad it forced me to do so.

Monster Rancher: Almost as painfult o watch as monster rancher

Anyway I think I understand why rabid sachiel is so bitter, he watched all fo yugioh I was barely able to watch a few episodes of that, still better then hamtaro and monster rancher though.
Last edited by Defectron on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:01 pm

100 Stories? I didn't know they showed that on Chiller

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:03 pm

100 Stories? I didn't know they showed that on Chiller

No that anime was pretty good. This was something else the lead character int he anime im thinking of was drawn sort of bishounenish, but its a very forgetably bad anime which is why I cant remember the title.

Also I forgot rave master, that shows awful.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:08 pm

I didn't like Digimon seasons 4 and 5.

I didn't like Pokemon after season 2.

I didn't like GT. I did have some interesting bits but the plot holes and errors in continuity had been so damn annoying. And the way Cell and Frieza were so OOC and any potential that a fight of Cell and Frieza had vanished midway into the fight and the fact that Goku didn't even go Super Sayain to be beat them, Gah so many things were wrong with that fight!!! Also the fact there were villains stronger then Kid Majin Buu. Etc., etc.

I didn't like Monster Rancher.

I didn't really like the PowerPuff Girls Anime Adaption (the dub by Ocean Group didn't change my opinions either but it IS targeted to children).
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:58 pm

_anything post-digimon adventure starring pre-pubescent kids that can control (generally cute, little) creatures that can then fight other (generally cute, little) creatures. i mean, even pokemon was tolerable in the beginning but after 7820283404830834230348 seasons it gets really old... and then there was monster rancher, medabots, flint the time detective, beyblade, yugioh, this dinosaur thing that my little cousin is really into nowadays... really, the trend just doesn't know when to die. (though i liked digimon frontier. nothing else, though).

_captain tsubasa. sorry to any guys who hail it as a classic, but it always seemed to take them like 8 episodes to run from one end of the soccer field to the other and it was just so WTF. i found goal FH a lot easier to swallow.

_candy candy. oh dear god, every single girl i knew, other than myself, loved this thing. after a while i declared it was because they were all braindead. to this day i still start twitching all over when someone starts humming the opening song.

_i started watching FLCL on adult swim back when i was in the states... and i just couldn't get through it. :unsure: i think it just wasn't my thing.

_that bo-bo-bo thing. just... no. :facepalm:

_corrector yui. it tried to be card captor sakura, and drastically failed.

_eureka 7, though i think i would've possibly liked it had i not seen it dubbed.

i'll probably remember more of these in the future... seems like there's so many...
Last edited by carla on Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:00 am

Inuyasha
Naruto
Pokemon
Most Dragonball
Elfen Lied
The Last Exile (well, 'suck ass' is too strong; very average from what I was expecting after reviews)
Ergo Proxy (see above)
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:01 am

carla wrote:_i started watching FLCL on adult swim back when i was in the states... and i just couldn't get through it. :unsure: i think it just wasn't my thing.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:vader:
sorry, but it's too funny and unique to dismiss
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:31 am

Yu-Gi-Oh!'s not that bad at all if you aren't talking about the 4kids dub...or, should I say, the second and third seasons weren't that bad. The rest was pretty bad. But for those two seasons, it's better than Naruto and Bleach...

As for me, I don't really hate any anime. Though I will say the second season of Gundam 00 is pissing me off by a lot. It had so much potential...the first season was so good...why did you have to ruin it with an awful character replacement, a dumb/uninteresting main plot, and giving worthless side characters too much screentime!
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE -My fanfic. COMPLETE, HAHA! 2/25/08.
2.0: YOU ARE (NOT) WORTHLESS: Updated (!!) 7/14/08
Nigecha dame da...
"Kaworu is not a character. Kaworu is a plot device. Kaworu sucks." -Reichu

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:38 am

Oh I got a big list of these

Gundam seed/seed destiny
Gundam Wing
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
InuYasha
Wicked City
Elfen Lied
Lucky Star
All the .Hack stuff

Out of all that the worst is Haruhi, damn that show was terrible

Xeroko
Forum Maid
Forum Maid

•      
  •      

Postby Xeroko » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:42 am

Naruto
Clocks and Maids
Don't believe in yourself, believe in the maid who believes in you! <3
The Ewan McGregor and Jaime Lannister Fangirl of EGF
My cakes will pierce the heavens!
Maidly Quote: "I'll punish you in high heels!"

[url]http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt111/Xero103/1297051910683.jpg[/url]
~=Gothic Lolita=~
EGF's Herald of Slaanesh

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:43 am

Shiro wrote:Yu-Gi-Oh!'s not that bad at all if you aren't talking about the 4kids dub...or, should I say, the second and third seasons weren't that bad. The rest was pretty bad. But for those two seasons, it's better than Naruto and Bleach...

The dub is not bad and I have to say my favorite arcs were the Battle City arc, Awaking of Dragons, and the ancient Egypt arc
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:46 am

Hmmmm, I have a lot of anime at home, and have watched through most if not all of them, and Ive seen a few, but I really havent seen enough to say that I have any on my SA list, or I might just not be that critical or picky. :biii:

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:15 am

carla wrote:_anything post-digimon adventure starring pre-pubescent kids that can control (generally cute, little) creatures that can then fight other (generally cute, little) creatures.
Digimon adventure was 1999 according to the internets... You should try this 2003 vintage title -- it might just change your mind.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

trueno_twentyone
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby trueno_twentyone » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:28 am

The Bastard King wrote:I hate all anime. I only watch football and wrestling.

The hell are you doing here?

Animes that i hate:

Naruto - plainly rubbish
Voltes Five - 80's shit
Daimos - another 80's shit
Baki the Grappler - shitty animation
Night shift Nurses - damn bloody H-anime. S/M sicko!
etc.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:24 am

carla wrote:_i started watching FLCL ... and i just couldn't get through it. :unsure: i think it just wasn't my thing.

Same here (except for the Adult Swim bit) - but I'm thinking of giving it another chance...

Narutaru traumatized me for life... =.=

I tried watching Custer Edge but honestly to me it was worse than watching paint dry so I dropped it...

Defectron wrote:Naw it was something of darkness maybe domain of darkness or decent of darkness or something like that.

...Descendants of DarknesS?
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:00 am

Can't stand One Piece...the character designs grate my senses, and neither the characterisation nor humor do it for me...

I have...an off relationship with Texnolaize, apart from not being able to spell it. Every time I watch the next volume, I'm bored out of my skull by the end...yet I keep going back for more...I think I just want some sort of closure...
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Self-admitted meme-whore.
Unashamed troper.
O-sensei's House of a Thousand Hearts: Lest We Forget

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:35 am

Combs wrote:That one with the tsundere loli named Taiga.

oOoOoOo wrote:Toradora is a romance anime geared towards people who have had actual relationships.

My mind is reeling at the notion that there are people who don't like Toradora. It's one of the best shows of the last 12 months or so.

honsou wrote:Out of all that the worst is Haruhi, damn that show was terrible

You fail.

The worst I've ever seen was Silent Moebius T.V., even bought for just $17.99 (U.S.) for all 26 episodes. They should have paid me to watch it.

I also really hated Angel Cop. It was at the top of my worst list until Moebius came along.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Return to “Anime and Manga”