Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:23 pm

Going on the third episode, Dr. Tenman's voice has absolutely NOTHING on his Japanese voice. Also, I can tell already that Inspector Heinrich Rung's voice sucks. It does not have the eeriness of the Japanese voice.

edit: Johan's voice is alright. BOXSET COMING SOON! Saw commercial!

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:00 pm

The only problem I really see with the Dub is Runge, voice is horrible, they butcher his name in the worst possible way. Other then that, everything is passable with Johan's voice probably being the high point.

birdyofthemoongoddess
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby birdyofthemoongoddess » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:04 am

personally, I sort of like Tenma's voice. It has this soft, sorrowful undertone to it that just fits with his personality.
Birdy is a girl.
hannah's handprints.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:32 pm

just got to say I LOVE THIS SHOW
thanks to Ornette for recommending it :)
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:21 pm

is anyone going to buy/bought the first box?
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:19 pm

^yeah I pre-ordered it awhile ago, just came in yesterday. The box is a pain, though. I was expecting all three discs to be in one package (like the latest releases of Now & Then, Here & There or the Giant Robo OVAs), but instead they placed three regular-sized DVD cases into a slipcase. I know it's fruitless to bitch about packaging like this, but man, I don't have much shelf space to begin with...
I wouldn't have minded if it came WITH stuff, like I dunno, a booklet with some artwork or notes on production, but damn, the way it came is a letdown. Nuthin' but the discs in empty cases.

The show is awesome, though.

alabaster
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby alabaster » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:40 pm

^ mine will be coming next week. Too bad it's a bare bones package. For the price I'm paying, that's pretty sad.
Last edited by alabaster on Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Alabaster

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:56 pm

Merridian wrote:but instead they placed three regular-sized DVD cases into a slipcase.

You need to buy some of those regular sized cases that can hold multiple discs. I bought a shitload of them, and was able to condense many of my 4-disc anime series into one DVD case.

Click here for an example.

All of the slipcovers with the DVD art will fit in one case, as well.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

sean_sean_sean_sean
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby sean_sean_sean_sean » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:35 am

Just ordered my Monster Boxset 1, but I've been hearing that Viz have been screwing around with the background music.

Does anyone know how much "screwing around" there has been? Is it just a little bit here and there, or has there been an awful lot of chopping and changing?

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:11 pm

sean_sean_sean_sean wrote:Just ordered my Monster Boxset 1, but I've been hearing that Viz have been screwing around with the background music.

Does anyone know how much "screwing around" there has been? Is it just a little bit here and there, or has there been an awful lot of chopping and changing?

That's probably strictly with the English Dub.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:36 pm

Whoa, thanks Brik. I just ordered about a dozen of those cases. Considering there's probably gonna be another four boxes of Monster just like this one, I'll need some kind of shelf space-conserving packaging. :)

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 02 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:00 pm

I'm up to episode 26 already. Its good, not better than eva tho. I notice wayyy too many filler episodes, but they still manage to turn it at the end and get u wanting to watch thr next episode. That's why everyone likes it, its the manga-style that gets interpreted to anime but keeps the same chapter-structure. I'm glad I can get em on AF.tv instead of waiting for each ep!! Not enough johann yet to classify him as the best villian, just everyone sayin he's sooo bad.

I like the true-to-german names lk dieter and jochen, but seriously? A jap walking around in a huge german city and he only seems to get noticed because he goes around acting lk a detective. That's a lil far fetched cuz he's the only asian in germany it seems yet he can walk around the streets lk nothing.
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

Dark doom
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dark doom » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:20 pm

Monster is like, one of THE most freaking awosome anime's ever.

It's kinda what you get when you mix Black jack with Elfen lied.
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

And then we come to the merchandising... facepalm- Mr. Tines

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:32 pm

View Original PostEva 02 wrote:I like the true-to-german names lk dieter and jochen, but seriously? A jap walking around in a huge german city and he only seems to get noticed because he goes around acting lk a detective. That's a lil far fetched cuz he's the only asian in germany it seems yet he can walk around the streets lk nothing.

What should the Germans be doing? Throwing rocks at him because he's not German? What do you do when you see a Japanese guy walking down your street? "HEY EVERYONE, LOOK LOOK!!! THIS GUY IS Japanese!! WOOO!!"

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:42 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:What do you do when you see a Japanese guy walking down your street? "HEY EVERYONE, LOOK LOOK!!! THIS GUY IS Japanese!! WOOO!!"

.....You don't?

Dark doom wrote:It's kinda what you get when you mix Black jack with Elfen lied.

Thats like, the worst pitch I've heard for an anime, ever.

Regardless this seems to be a must watch and I'll get around to it soon enough. If a series is great 70 episodes fly by like nothing, proven to me by Hajime no Ippo.
The plot better be as good as you people say it is...Or else!

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:10 pm

View Original PostDark doom wrote:It's kinda what you get when you mix Black jack with Elfen lied.

It's...nothing at all like that. But yeah, it's one of the best series ever.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 02 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:53 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:What should the Germans be doing? Throwing rocks at him because he's not German? What do you do when you see a Japanese guy walking down your street? "HEY EVERYONE, LOOK LOOK!!! THIS GUY IS Japanese!! WOOO!!"

I meant because most know he's wanted for murder. At first it was plausible that not everyone knew,. But look at the Van Der Slooth case is Mexico, everyone wants him dead and are even rioting because hes a white man who killed a local. Tenma is wanted for several deaths of prominent German citizens. Once its learned that a jap is wanted for that, you can only expect the police stations to be flooded with any kind of asian male, because of the hysteria(lack of better word) cause by media.

Towards epidose 22 he shouyld not be able to walk the streets. The only plausible argument to be made to that is Germany is verry different in 1995 compared to US, in the sense of safe communities. I also find it hard ti believe that there are absolutely no locked doors on the show so far, except when the glasses girl locks Schubert's assistant in the RR. But that can be (sorta) chalked up to the whole "no one locks their doors in canada" cliche.
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:25 pm

View Original PostEva 02 wrote:I meant because most know he's wanted for murder. At first it was plausible that not everyone knew,. But look at the Van Der Slooth case is Mexico, everyone wants him dead and are even rioting because hes a white man who killed a local. Tenma is wanted for several deaths of prominent German citizens. Once its learned that a jap is wanted for that, you can only expect the police stations to be flooded with any kind of asian male, because of the hysteria(lack of better word) cause by media.

Towards epidose 22 he shouyld not be able to walk the streets. The only plausible argument to be made to that is Germany is verry different in 1995 compared to US, in the sense of safe communities. I also find it hard ti believe that there are absolutely no locked doors on the show so far, except when the glasses girl locks Schubert's assistant in the RR. But that can be (sorta) chalked up to the whole "no one locks their doors in canada" cliche.

The incident happening in the mid 80's, things didn't travel so fast back then, and it's not like Tenma was arrested or even officially accused of anything. After the 10 year time-skip, nobody except Runge thinks he killed anyone, who's pretty much a nutcase.
SPOILER: Show
There's no reason for people to be after him. I mean, he was able to work as a department head for those 10 years AFTER the murders. It wasn't until he operates on that criminal that tells him about Johan that he starts roaming around looking for him

There no reason anybody should be making any fuss about Tenma.

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 02 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:55 am

Hmmm.... The past few episodes I watched he was pretty paranoid.

And the old couple (hitchhiked w/) saw him on the most wanted. And the cop in the small town whos mother he saved wanted to bring him in, the cheif saying it was a crowning achievment, enough to make the deputy legit for life. Everytime the cops are on the way to the scene w/ Tenma, he's always remided he must run, as he is wanted. Everyone also refers to him as "the man wanted in relation to the murders." Idk, watching it right now I'm hella getting that vibe. Maybe ur right, the time gap does give him the "statute of limitations" in people's mind

of course, I am watching it on a fansub, which gives me gems such as:

Ep 28 end:
Ep 29 beginning:
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

Dark doom
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dark doom » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:52 am

View Original PostZapX wrote:It's...nothing at all like that. But yeah, it's one of the best series ever.

Wha?
I there both gruesome, and Back jack share's some resembalances to Monster no matter how slight.
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

And then we come to the merchandising... facepalm- Mr. Tines

Return to “Anime and Manga”