Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:32 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:.

Character who does fit this description? Lelouche from Code Geass who gets unjustly and way too often compared to Light

I disagree, they're pretty similar characters with only a few things seperating them. One is that lelouch actually feels bad about his actions now and then. The second is that Lelouch had more personal motivation then Light did and didn't lose sight of what he was trying to do as much in regard to reshaping society. Now despite what anyone might say Light did at least start out trying to do something similar to what Lelouch was, though he seems to have at least somewhat lost sight of that along the way.. And also he isn't quite as delusional as Light. Leloush thought he could fix the worlds problems though he didn't think himself a god like Light did. Now I would argue that is still delusional despite anything the writers would have us believe, there's no way lelouch's plan for world peace would have lasting effects beyond his death.

Now Light had a similar problem, but he took it to a whole other level then Lelouch and thought he could create a perfect world where he alone would rule it with his own hand. Regardless of how smart you are, the world is simply too chaotic and regardless of how deadly the deathnote is if such a system were se tup it would only be a matter of time before it crumbled like a house of cards.

So overall thats pretty much all that seperates them imo.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Bryan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bryan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:34 pm

View Original PostDefectron wrote:I disagree, they're pretty similar characters with only a few things seperating them. One is that lelouch actually feels bad about his actions now and then. The second is that Lelouch had more personal motivation then Light did and didn't lose sight of what he was trying to do as much in regard to reshaping society. Now despite what anyone might say Light did at least start out trying to do something similar to what Lelouch was, though he seems to have at least somewhat lost sight of that along the way.. And also he isn't quite as delusional as Light. Leloush thought he could fix the worlds problems though he didn't think himself a god like Light did. Now I would argue that is still delusional despite anything the writers would have us believe, there's no way lelouch's plan for world peace would have lasting effects beyond his death.

Now Light had a similar problem, but he took it to a whole other level then Lelouch and thought he could create a perfect world where he alone would rule it with his own hand. Regardless of how smart you are, the world is simply too chaotic and regardless of how deadly the deathnote is if such a system were se tup it would only be a matter of time before it crumbled like a house of cards.

So overall thats pretty much all that seperates them imo.

Completely agree!

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:37 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:I enjoyed the TRAILER for Dragonball: Evolution a million times more than I did what little of the Dragonball anime I've seen.

Those words burn my soul.

Anyway, I really don´t like Batou from GITS.

And I hate the Tachikomas. Why did they have to return in the second season of SAC?
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:41 pm

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:...

Those words burn my soul.

Anyway, I really don´t like Batou from GITS.

And I hate the Tachikomas. Why did they have to return in the second season of SAC?

I can agree with the Tachikomas...but Batou? Dude's a total bro.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:45 pm

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:Anyway, I really don´t like Batou from GITS.

Batou's most sympathetic GITS character in many ways, honestly.

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:And I hate the Tachikomas. Why did they have to return in the second season of SAC?

Tachikomas are adorable as hell.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:45 pm

Light was focused on living as a God in his perfect world, Lelouch on the other hand
SPOILER: Show
sacrifices himself to create his perfect world.
Their characters are completely different with the only similarity being that they do morally questionable things in the name of justice, only thing is that one is actually doing these things selflessly while the other is doing it for selfish reasons.
Last edited by Redtophat on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:47 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:I can agree with the Tachikomas...but Batou? Dude's a total bro.

Meh, I just don´t like him. You might say it´s almost an irrational hatred. At least I got more or less used to him now that I´m watching the second season of GITS: SAC.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:48 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:I enjoyed the TRAILER for Dragonball: Evolution a million times more than I did what little of the Dragonball anime I've seen.

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:Anyway, I really don´t like Batou from GITS.

What is wrong with you people

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:52 pm

Wat.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:56 pm

Blasphemy, you bakemono.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:10 pm

View Original PostDefectron wrote:So overall thats pretty much all that seperates them imo.

There's more. Mainly, they have two entirely different philosophies on power. Lelouch's viewpoint is continuously reiterated as a form of "The only one's who should shoot are those who should prepare to be shot." and when he's cornered he accepts that fate. On the other hand with Light the entire series revolves around him being afraid of his own defeat, and when he's cornered he loses his shit like a child. How dare they question Light Yagami. He's Kira! He's God!

You're right in that they were similar early on, but Lelouch is much less self centered then Light. Argue about the methods he chose, argue about the effectiveness of said methods, but in the end his goals were always on the up and up (though he was motivated by vengeance), to create a better world. Light very well might have had that as his goal in the beginning, but that quickly changes. By the end of the series Light has long since abandoned any claim to a desire for a better world. All Light wants in the end is power, control, and worship. He's a tyrant and he better matches the Lelouch portrayed to the media and the civilians of the world than the Lelouch who concocted Zero Requiem, the true Lelouch.

Also of note is how different the world of Code Geass is to the real world, and the world of Death Note. Light tries to address a fundemental problem of the real world, that sometimes criminals don't get the justice they deserve. Lelouch tries to address the issue of tyranny and racism.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:43 pm

It's one of those series you have to watch all the way through. However, i do admit that most of the success comes from nostalgia. However, it's also a "Seinfeld is unfunny" kind of scenario; everything DB did first, or popularized, has been done better since.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Bryan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bryan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:55 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:By the end of the series Light has long since abandoned any claim to a desire for a better world. All Light wants in the end is power, control, and worship.

I disagree. Light was following the same ideology he was using from the very first episode for the entire series. He knew that would involve power, control and worship, but those were just perks for the sake of a better world. If all he cared about were power, control and worship, he easily could've taken an approach closer to the corporation who killed people to make themselves rich. He never became more corrupt, he was just so corrupt from the start. Most people wouldn't think about the horrible consequences of actually killing so many people so when he followed through with his plan without mercy, many people automatically associated that with becoming corrupt. But Light was the type of guy who knew exactly how everything would turn out and he still considered it for the greater good.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:24 pm

View Original PostJune wrote:Their characters are completely different with the only similarity being that they do morally questionable things in the name of justice, only thing is that one is actually doing these things selflessly while the other is doing it for selfish reasons.

Well there is also that both are manipulative bishonen high school geniuses with supernatural influences that allow them to control/kill people in non obvious ways and they both have the same crazy laugh.

There's more. Mainly, they have two entirely different philosophies on power. Lelouch's viewpoint is continuously reiterated as a form of "The only one's who should shoot are those who should prepare to be shot." and when he's cornered he accepts that fate. On the other hand with Light the entire series revolves around him being afraid of his own defeat, and when he's cornered he loses his shit like a child. How dare they question Light Yagami. He's Kira! He's God!

you do have a point there, I think it kind of comes down to the kind of upbringing the two had. Light was a pampered rich boy who got his way where lelouch was the banished prince who had to struggle and fight in order to progress. So It makes sense that lelouch would have a lot more resolve in backing his ideals then Light who cracked when he was backed into a corner.

I disagree. Light was following the same ideology he was using from the very first episode for the entire series. He knew that would involve power, control and worship, but those were just perks for the sake of a better world. If all he cared about were power, control and worship, he easily could've taken an approach closer to the corporation who killed people to make themselves rich. He never became more corrupt, he was just so corrupt from the start. Most people wouldn't think about the horrible consequences of actually killing so many people so when he followed through with his plan without mercy, many people automatically associated that with becoming corrupt. But Light was the type of guy who knew exactly how everything would turn out and he still considered it for the greater good.

I partially agree with this. I think Light was still trying to make a better world, but at that point that had kind of taken a back seat in importance to his power trip. It was still there, it was just no longer his primary focus.

I enjoyed the TRAILER for Dragonball: Evolution a million times more than I did what little of the Dragonball anime I've seen

Well as overated as I think DBZ is most of the time I don't think it was quite as bad as its live action counterpart, making goku a angsty nerd was one of the weirdest things they could have done with that character... though that being said I still found that more enjoyable then the buu saga.

So yeah DBZ characters I really dislike, kid trunks and Goten...damn they were irritating and then they somehow got even more irritating when they combined into Gotenks... at least Fat Buu slapped that annoying brat around a bunch... yeah that showed them.

I pretty much disliked all the new characters in the buu saga excluding Fat Buu who was cool. Babidi and company were a bunch of medicre uninteresting villains, the kais were mediocre and uninteresting good guys, exlcuding Fat Buu I didn't care for any of the buus either most of them were either just a brutes who were all "buu smash!" and super buu was annoying for other reasons as he seemed to be the embodiment of everything that was done badly with DBZ villains.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:27 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:All Light wants in the end is power, control, and worship. He's a tyrant

And he's out of line with modern thought. There are reasons why capital punishment is no longer used in much of the world, and is being used less and less in others. Death is absolute and irreversible, whereas guilt and badness are not so clear-cut. Ther is no sign that Light, for all his intelligence, has any appreciation of nuance in these matters.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:32 am

TehDonutKing wrote:However, it's also a "Seinfeld is unfunny" kind of scenario

And by that you mean it's fictitious, right? Right?

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:39 pm

Nina just gets more irritating as the series goes on, she's probably the most annoying fictional character that I have ever seen. I want this to happen so baaaaaaddddddd but no one is stepping up, why am I being tormented like this?

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:57 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote: Death is absolute and irreversible, whereas guilt and badness are not so clear-cut. Ther is no sign that Light, for all his intelligence, has any appreciation of nuance in these matters.

The more I look at Light Yagami's behavior (both before and after grabbing hold of the Death Note), the more he seems to be a complete psychopath to me. I find Light to be a pretty good depiction of a brilliant, unempathetic mass murderer. If you think about it, Death Note actually raises quite a few good points (amidst all the lousiness towards the end of the show).

Lelouche was more like an overblown ham who was granted superpowers by the plot - I found nothing really great about him.

As for Batou and the Tachikomas - well, your mileage may vary. I found the Tachikomas superb.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:15 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:The more I look at Light Yagami's behavior (both before and after grabbing hold of the Death Note), the more he seems to be a complete psychopath to me. I find Light to be a pretty good depiction of a brilliant, unempathetic mass murderer. If you think about it, Death Note actually raises quite a few good points (amidst all the lousiness towards the end of the show).

Lelouche was more like an overblown ham who was granted superpowers by the plot - I found nothing really great about him.

As for Batou and the Tachikomas - well, your mileage may vary. I found the Tachikomas superb.

Light genuinely gives me the willies. His delusions of grandeur extend almost to schizophrenia, he is terrifying, a psychopath wielding that much power would scare the shit out of even Arnold Schwarzenegger and Clint Eastwood.

He's almost like Buffalo Bill, just without the lotion bit.
Last edited by Catamari on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

View Original PostCatamari wrote:He's almost like Hannibal Lector, just without the lotion bit.

Uh...

Return to “Anime and Manga”