Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:19 pm

Oh my lawd, rewatching Code Geass and this woman needs to get clapped.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:00 pm

Couldn't agree more. The only Code Geass girl I wouldn't touch with ten foot pole.

SPOILER: Show
that she survived the whole series like true karma houdini never stops pissing me off

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:28 pm

those were the times
(can't be bothered to quote rageposts from two years ago)
Voluntary Illusion.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:06 pm

1. Neji Hyuuga and Pain (Naruto)
Lotsa text and images; spoilers for a series with no plot.  SPOILER: Show
When i first watched Naruto, i thought it was okay. It wasn't until the Land of Waves arc that it became amazing. I was able to get past how unlikeable the main trio are! Then, after poor Zabuza's death, it became less interesting. Then, this girl comes in:
She's amazing! Best character in the series by far! However, this motherfucker comes in, and his only purpose in life is to make life absolute hell for her. Neji had no redeeming qualities whatsoever. He even almost killed her!

Sadly, Naruto later jumped the shark and made Sasuke evil. I kept watching just for these two:
However, Pain came in, and killed Hinata, and i lost what little interest i had left. To me, Pain represents Naruto's shark jumping.

2. Light Yagami and Mello (Death Note)
Everything about Light has been said already by others. Mello, on the other hand, can be explained with a simple equation:
ImageImagelikeabilityImageImage

3. The Akagis (Evangelion)
They do nothing but get in the way, and are both murderous bitches.

OMAKE: Video game, VN, and western cartoon characters i hate

1. Raphael (Soul series)
He's an arrogant douche with a bland character design and overpowered combos. The ironic thing is that Amy's my main in Soul Calibur IV, despite my hate toward Raphael.

2. Every character who debuted in Soul Calibur V
No explanation needed

Ace/Gentarou Hongou/H
(9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors)
If you're far enough into the VN to open this spoiler, you already know why. I trusted him!

4. Applejack (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
She's such an hypocrite.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:07 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:
To me, Pain represents Naruto's shark jumping.

I would agree with that but for other reasons.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:11 am

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:1. Neji Hyuuga and Pain (Naruto)
Lotsa text and images; spoilers for a series with no plot.  SPOILER: Show
When i first watched Naruto, i thought it was okay. It wasn't until the Land of Waves arc that it became amazing. I was able to get past how unlikeable the main trio are! Then, after poor Zabuza's death, it became less interesting. Then, this girl comes in:
She's amazing! Best character in the series by far! However, this motherfucker comes in, and his only purpose in life is to make life absolute hell for her. Neji had no redeeming qualities whatsoever. He even almost killed her!

Sadly, Naruto later jumped the shark and made Sasuke evil. I kept watching just for these two:
However, Pain came in, and killed Hinata, and i lost what little interest i had left. To me, Pain represents Naruto's shark jumping.

2. Light Yagami and Mello (Death Note)
Everything about Light has been said already by others. Mello, on the other hand, can be explained with a simple equation:
ImageImagelikeabilityImageImage

3. The Akagis (Evangelion)
They do nothing but get in the way, and are both murderous bitches.

OMAKE: Video game, VN, and western cartoon characters i hate

1. Raphael (Soul series)
He's an arrogant douche with a bland character design and overpowered combos. The ironic thing is that Amy's my main in Soul Calibur IV, despite my hate toward Raphael.

2. Every character who debuted in Soul Calibur V
No explanation needed

Ace/Gentarou Hongou/H
(9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors)
If you're far enough into the VN to open this spoiler, you already know why. I trusted him!

4. Applejack (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
She's such an hypocrite.

I don't dislike Mello, there was actually some real potential to take the story in an interesting direction with him and I wish they had run with it more. It would be a real role reversal, a villainous criminal vs a seemingly upstanding detective and it turns out the detective was actually the bad guy all along. but damn it, they went and gave him the shaft by ending his arc all abruptly, especially in the anime, I mean WTF was that? They cut it down to just a couple episodes. I hear int he manga, Mello was originally intended to be the victor rather then Near, damn, probably wouldve been a btter ending too.

But yeah while I don't dislike mello (though i do dislike how rushed his storyline was) I do dislike Near, I think the L-likeability analogy is actually a lot more applicable to him as he seems to try a lot more to be like L then mello did, but just doesn't pull it off.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:54 pm

Near's too similar to me for me to dislike him.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Bryan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bryan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:10 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Finding Light and his actions morally repugnant has absolutely nothing to do whether one is pacifist or not. Furthermore it doesn't follow from not being pacifist that one considers all wars equal in justification so even if Light's activties counted as war waging (uhhh) one doesn't need to approve of it even if one is not pacifist.

Pacifism is completely irrelevant.

It's fine to think every justification he had was wrong. But the idea that "killing tens of thousands of people probably isn't very virtuous" is an absolutely pacifist one. It's not any better when many people decide to do it to many other people than when one person decides to do it to many people, especially when in the former case the people may have never done anything wrong in their entire life.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:01 pm

View Original PostBryan wrote:It's fine to think every justification he had was wrong. But the idea that "killing tens of thousands of people probably isn't very virtuous" is an absolutely pacifist one. It's not any better when many people decide to do it to many other people than when one person decides to do it to many people, especially when in the former case the people may have never done anything wrong in their entire life.

You're certainly welcome to feel that way, but good luck getting anyone else to buy into that line of reasoning.

You might also want to look up the word 'qualifier' and ponder how it might apply here.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Bryan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bryan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:40 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:You're certainly welcome to feel that way, but good luck getting anyone else to buy into that line of reasoning.

You might also want to look up the word 'qualifier' and ponder how it might apply here.

I'd be as happy to be convinced otherwise as much as I'd be happy to convince anyone I'm right.

I wasn't trying to misrepresent your opinion. I'm guessing yours is the common one which goes something like "killing people is wrong, but it's not as bad in some contexts like war". Being pretty pacifistic myself, that seems completely hypocritical. Ordering people to fight and die doesn't seem any better than shooting them yourself. And all of the things people use as justifications, I find as ridiculous as Light's. Peace! Justice! Give me a break.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:18 pm

View Original PostBryan wrote:Give me a break.

How 'bout you give all of us a break? The morality of war has nothing to do with an assessment of Light's actions, which are both straightforward and repugnant. All you're doing here is trolling the thread via derailment tactics.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:29 pm

Light's a monster who was focused on saving his own ass for the entirety of the show. The dude was an ass and was prepared to sacrifice with own father and sister. Also the guy was a sociopath, which is why I found him interesting but nonetheless his justification was just a cover up for his power-hungry soul.

Bryan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bryan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:30 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:The morality of war has nothing to do with an assessment of Light's actions, which are both straightforward and repugnant.

Intentions matter. Light had truly noble intentions, create a perfect world. He considered his actions a necessary evil.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:42 pm

Pure intentions or not, killing people is generally a bad thing. That's not pacifism; it's logic.
/hj

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:48 pm

View Original PostBryan wrote:Intentions matter. Light had truly noble intentions, create a perfect world. He considered his actions a necessary evil.

I don't know, calling yourself "the god of the new world" in episode one seems to point to less than noble intentions.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:53 pm

Bryan's just retarded, people. Don't reply to him.

I don't know, calling yourself "the god of the new world" in episode one seems to point to less than noble intentions.

To be fair, his small speech in episode 1 gave me the impression that he did mean well, but was just dimmed by some serious white knight tendencies he wasn't aware of. It was just in episode 2 or 3 when i got the impression he was just doing all that for himself.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Bryan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bryan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:54 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Pure intentions or not, killing people is generally a bad thing. That's not pacifism; it's logic.

I agree, but it's both.
View Original PostTrajan wrote:I don't know, calling yourself "the god of the new world" in episode one seems to point to less than noble intentions.

That's just his enormous ego, that doesn't have anything to do with why he did what he did. He considers passing it along to someone else to do the dirty work, but doesn't think anyone else has what it takes.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:06 pm

The entire cast of Dragon Ball.

The entire. Fucking. Cast.

Screw it, the entire fucking show.

Over-the-top powered-up action with the raw power of awesome can be done right (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann for example). Dragon Ball does it very, very wrong.

I enjoyed the TRAILER for Dragonball: Evolution a million times more than I did what little of the Dragonball anime I've seen.

And whoever listed Yoko from TTGL can die in a hole.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:16 pm

View Original PostBryan wrote:Intentions matter. Light had truly noble intentions, create a perfect world. He considered his actions a necessary evil.

Yeah, see. This is not something I've bought as even remotely beliavable after early chapters. I don't even think we're supposed to, Light starts out as extremely ambiguous ends justify means kind of guy but makes the leap down the well very quickly.

Character who does fit this description? Lelouche from Code Geass who gets unjustly and way too often compared to Light

Bryan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bryan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:26 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Yeah, see. This is not something I've bought as even remotely beliavable after early chapters. I don't even think we're supposed to, Light starts out as extremely ambiguous ends justify means kind of guy but makes the leap down the well very quickly.

Character who does fit this description? Lelouche from Code Geass who gets unjustly and way too often compared to Light

I don't think they do a great job of conveying it and they don't even talk about it very much, but I definitely think that's what was meant. They do a much better job of conveying that in the live action movie. In it, after he finds the Death Note, he does some research only to find out that an extremely large amount of criminals were let off the hook thanks to technicalities. It's clear he thinks the regular justice system has simply been a failure and somebody has to fix it, so why not him.

Return to “Anime and Manga”