Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Sammaeloo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:46 pm

I kind of grew into it. At first I just liked Kaiju, but then I explored other Japanese stuff, and it stuck to me.
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:01 pm

Because anime guys look hot.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:05 am

I don't like anime simply because it's animation from Japan, or that the characters look different. In other words, I'm not all like "ZOMG! IT'S ANIME!!! I LOVE IT! LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!!!" And I don't think I ever will, considering I spent 10 years (almost all of my teen years) shunning the art form. Now I realize that anime is like any other form of entertainment; you get awesome ones and you get terrible ones.

Most of the anime I like put filmmaking aspects before the "animation" elements of the media, whereas in America, the emphasis seems to be more on the animation aspect of the media rather than the filmmaking aspect of it. This emphasis is probably made because the Japanese are used to working on tight budgets, and use filmmaking aspects to distract from the abundant still frames back in the early days of anime.

Most of the time in Japanese anime you'll get more creative lighting in a shot, stronger uses of framing, and shots focusing more on subtle movements or elements in a shot to create a mood, than you would find in a lot o American animation. It's a minimalistic form of storytelling that tells the story in the quickest way. These are all things that critics of live-action film look for in when looking at live-action films.

The moments Peter Jackson would focus in on one of his more quite scenes in LOTR (tear drops, water pouring from a jug, ripples in the water) or the Wachowski Brothers in The Matrix (slowing moments down to almost a freeze frame, text on a screen, focusing on action going on in the background) or even the minimalistic visuals in Orsen Welles' Citizen Kane (not seeing the characters faces, lots of dark shadows, off screen action being conveyed though sound effects and/or dialogue) are all things you can spot in most good animes out there that aren't seen in most American animation.

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:57 pm

Hideaki Anno wrote:I believe that animation is the best, most accurate way to show others what you were thinking. I believe animation is the true form of expressing your ideas.

I feel the same. This is one of the reasons why anime is BY FAR my favorite medium. In fact, I hardly watch anything besides anime. I could do without the other mediums.
MAL

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" -Albert Einstein

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:21 am

Rabid-Sachiel wrote:
Hideaki Anno wrote:I believe that animation is the best, most accurate way to show others what you were thinking. I believe animation is the true form of expressing your ideas.

I feel the same. This is one of the reasons why anime is BY FAR my favorite medium. In fact, I hardly watch anything besides anime. I could do without the other mediums.

Or probably just the best way to show your thoughts using certain techniques that would otherwise look cheezy in a live-action scenario. I have found that you can take more liberties with animation and still maintain a "straight face". Whereas in a live-action film, you need to be very careful to make sure the crowd doesn't laugh at a technique you meant to be serious.

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:29 am

Yeah. I believe that animation has no limits of what you can express.
MAL

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" -Albert Einstein

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:00 am

I believe that's called TUNNEL VISION.

Though it is true that Animation is the purest form of filmmaking since everything from the actors to the props to the weather is actually CREATED by the filmmaker. Complete and utter control.

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:02 pm

my two cents: i don't like anime because it's from Japan, or because it's animated. i like anime because the plotlines/characterization/themes just happen to be damn good.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:02 pm

I like it for the tentacle rape.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

alabaster
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby alabaster » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:25 pm

I had never given anime much thought up until last year. I thought it was for young kids (ie Pokemon, Digimon). I didn't realize that there was a whole huge world of anime to explore. And I'm always looking for a compelling show to watch.

A friend of mine in another community suggested Full Metal Alchemist to me and I was blown away. Then he recommended Death Note and I was blown away again. Now, I'm finding shows that appeal to me myself.

I guess that I don't like it for any particular reason.........it's just another way to tell a story and like with all tv and film there's a lot of crap and some great stuff.

I do like the ease with which other worlds can be created with anime. And some of the actual animation is extremely beautiful.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Alabaster

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:44 pm

We need a reason? :smirk:
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

Mongoosedog
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mongoosedog » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:55 pm

BECAUSE I LIKE HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS AND STUFF!
I have no signature!

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:36 pm

The shitty dialogue and convoluted plots give me an inspiration to continue writing.
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

Evangelion__x
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion__x » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:04 am

WTF WAHT ARE YOU TALKIGN ABOUT I HATE ANIME ITS ALL NINJA SUPER POWERS KAMEHAMEHA BIG BOOBS SHIT IN EVERY ANIME EVER SRSLY

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:09 am

I take it that was saracasm otherwise why the hell would you be in an Anime Web Forum? :hohum:

Evangelion__x
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion__x » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:13 am

UM NO THAT WASNT SARCASM. IS THERE A [/SARCASM] AT THE END OF THAT??? HUH??? IS THERE???

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:20 am

then why are you posting on and visiting a web forum dedicated to an anime? :rolleyes:

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:17 am

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:47 am

Great Genius Shinji-Sama wrote:then why are you posting on and visiting a web forum dedicated to an anime? :rolleyes:

one anime =/= all anime
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:01 am

Uriel Septim VII wrote:The shitty dialogue and convoluted plots give me an inspiration to continue reiting.

Great Genius Shinji-Sama wrote:We need a reison? :smirk:

BrikHaus wrote:I like it for the tentacle reip.

Because if I didn't watch it I wouldn't be able to put Rei into words where her name wouldn't normally go that's why. Also because of big robots confusing plots and stuff.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Return to “Anime and Manga”