RahXephon

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:15 pm

NeonZ: You obviously missed the point of my essay. The point of my essay is not to prove that Eva is a ripoff of Gundam. My essay is an (atleast I thought it was) obvious parody of the behavior of psychotic Eva fans that feel the need to make lists of how some other anime/game, whether its RahXephon, Candidate For Goddess, Gasaraki, Xenogears, whatever... rips off Eva. Through my essay I show that it is soooo very easy to turn around and apply the same standard to turn Eva into a lousy ripoff too. Are there differences that I purposely left out to help my argument? Of course! Thats the point! Thats exactly what the 'everything rips off Eva' crowd do when they claim something ripped off Eva.

The only point of yours I'm gonna respond to is regarding Sayla. She was officially made the Gundam's pilot during the period of time that Bright had Amuro locked up in the brig. What you're thinking of happened earlier on and has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

NeonZ
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby NeonZ » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:00 pm

The only point of yours I'm gonna respond to is regarding Sayla. She was officially made the Gundam's pilot during the period of time that Bright had Amuro locked up in the brig. What you're thinking of happened earlier on and has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

You're really the author of the article? :shock:

Here are some commentaries about the article comparing Eva and Gundam

That sentence originally was

Here are some commentaries about your article comparing Eva and Gundam

But I edited it because I noticed that your nick is different from the one of the author of the article... but, actually, you're the same person. Odd.

Ok, I had forgotten about that part about Sayla... but all my other points still stand.

About my interpretation of your articles... reading that article, and your other ones, it seemed that you were saying that Eva was a rip off, but originallity isn't important for the overall quality of an anime...

I was saying that though some of elements had been used before, Eva surely isn't a rip off. The only anime I've watched that really was a rip off of another one was the first half of Gundam SEED... there are original elements in there, but there are many scenes taken straight out of the first Gundam...

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:34 pm

NeonZ wrote:I was saying that though some of elements had been used before, Eva surely isn't a rip off.

I think you are still missing the point NeonZ. The reason behind that essay is to show how it is pointless to say one anime is a ripoff of another just because they have somethings in common.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

flatulant
Shamshel
Shamshel

RahXephon

•      
  •      

Postby flatulant » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:22 pm

Why all the hate towards this anime? I personally love it and don't think of it as an Eva rip-off. It takes more from Raideen and Megazone 23 then it does from Eva. Besides, the director said he intended it to be a modern day Raideen. Thoughts/Opinions?
Last edited by flatulant on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:31 pm

A number of reasons, including vague similarities in certain shots and the feel of certain characters and thematic elements. Nothing concrete, although it had a whole lot of fans and even reviewers screaming.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:48 am

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:44 am

Rahxephon is one of those shows that starts off great and slowly becomes more and more terrible because the creators decided to develop its absolute worst attributes. They seemed to have realized this by the time they went back and made the movie though, because despite being a Death and Rebirth sort of deal the changes and additions to the plot somehow make it a somewhat coherent, enjoyable experience. Being a 26 episode anime cut down into a 2 hours movie leaves it with some serious pacing problems though (you'll probably get lost if you haven't seen the actual series), so it's still a pity they didn't know what they were doing from the beginning.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:41 am

Mr. Tines wrote:www.evaxephon.com

That site is rather disreputable. It goes overboard with the stupidest comparisons.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:48 am

He's scores points for not liking .hack//SIGN though.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

flatulant
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby flatulant » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:07 am

UrsusArctos wrote:
Mr. Tines wrote:www.evaxephon.com

That site is rather disreputable. It goes overboard with the stupidest comparisons.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:06 am

ThroneofDravaris wrote:He's scores points for not liking .hack//SIGN though.

That alone makes him reputable in my book.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:50 am

What kind of robot has wings coming out of its head.

Honestly.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:24 pm

Would it be any cooler if it had GAR sunglasses on top of its head instead of wings?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:30 pm

YES! A MILLION TIMES COOLER!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

flatulant
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby flatulant » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:24 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:Would it be any cooler if it had GAR sunglasses on top of its head instead of wings?

ImageImage

Skullraper
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Skullraper » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:36 pm

Karma Burn wrote:...it borrows a lot from Eva. Sometimes they borrow unneeded things.
Like...
- In Eva the Evas are considered "living" machines. In Rah-Xephon the Xephon itself and the Vermillions are "living" machines.

How is that imitative of Eva or anything else? It’s simply a convention of science fiction or a “philosophical” interpretation of biological life. No single work that I know of actually created that concept.

I hate how readily people criticize works on the ground of “imitation”. Do any of you have any idea how hard it is to write something without accidentally stepping on the toes of writers who came before you!? It’s near fucking impossible! So stop nit-picking every single thing and using such petty observations as justification for calling a writer un-original!

For the record, I’ve never watched Rah-Xephon. For all I know it might actually be an imitator.
"Politicians should read science fiction, not westerns and detective stories." - Arthur C. Clarke

"Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right." - Isaac Asimov

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:01 am

Not Ayato with GARgles! I hate Ayato!

Oh, for that matter, the Xephon is an "Artificial God"- whatever that means. The "God/Living" associations between the Xephon/Dolems and Evangelions is weak, to say the least. A more accurate comparison would be between the Xephon and the sentient robots of the 70s and 80s- Raideen being, of course, the prime example.

Blackknight1239
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Blackknight1239 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:53 am

I think some people need to realize that there is very little "original" anymore. The fact is, almost everything is inspired by something. Despite Eva "ripping off" several anime before, the way it told it's story was unique. Now, I haven't seen RahX yet, but the point is dubbing something a "rip-off" is somewhat pointless these days. Unless it's a whole sale copy, of course.
no U

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:51 am

Eva fans that feel the need to make lists of how some other anime/game, whether its RahXephon, Candidate For Goddess, Gasaraki, Xenogears, whatever... rips off Eva.

I can see it with Rahxephon and Gasaraki, never saw much of xenogears though. But canidate for goddess? That show was just awful! And not in an awful ripoff sort of way, just an awful sort of way. I don't remember there being much similarities, but then again I didnt get all the way through the series.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

Re: RahXephon

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:26 pm

flatulant wrote:Why all the hate towards this anime? I personally love it and don't think of it as an Eva rip-off. It takes more from Raideen and Megazone 23 then it does from Eva. Besides, the director said he intended it to be a modern day Raideen. Thoughts/Opinions?

This i agree with hold hardly, lets just look at Raideen

As you can see besides the color change and the lack of head wings it does look a lot like...what ever the robot in Rahxephon is called.

Also someone mentioned how the blue blood from the bad guys in Rahxephon was like the pattern blue blood in eva. Well this is wrong, Rahxephon is based on the Mu mythology, which was also used in Raideen, and guess what color blood the Mu have? Blue.

Other then that the characters in Rahxephon are far from copies of characters from eva, they are really just similar to your basic anime characters. So while Rahxephon might KINDA look eva'ish they really don't have much, if anything in common.

Return to “Anime and Manga”