Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

V
Banned

Scifi Channel expands its crappy anime lineup

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:28 pm

Scifi Channel is expanding its crappy anime lineup - "Ani-Monday" on Monday nights - to Tuesdays as well.

http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=20708

On the one hand, its at worst neutral and at beast, at least a step in the right direction for anime.

However, they're still using the cruddy Manga Entertainment library;

their plans are to air the Read or Die OVA, the Appleseed OVA, and Kai Doh Maru OVA, and the "X" movie. 11pm to 1:00 AM. RoD OVA has fun cooky charm but its just an OVA; it's only so long (I'm happy it resulted in a TV series). The Appleseed OVA was a cliche waste of animation which I regret watching; a godawful hybridization of CGI and 2D animation which you quickly lose interest in. Also, its short. "Kai Doh Maru" is a historical drama about civil war in Kyoto in Heian times; looks like your standard "princess dresses as boy to avoid death when her noble family is attacked, then her female cousin falls in love with her assumed boy-persona, then she runs away again and gets trained as a warrior by another samurai"...again, KDM only has a 45 minute run time. The "X" movie is again, just a movie.

Long story short I think they've got four weeks worth of material for "Ani-Tuesdays" and then nothing again; why not just focus on running material on Ani-Monday?

(ugh) it all stinks anyway; the Manga Library they're using is old stuff from well over 10 years ago, as opposed to newer stuff.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:57 pm

I'm sure Scifi (whose parent company Liberty Media PWNS Mangle TOO don't-ya-know) would LOVE to "transfer"(/steal) some of the licenses from ADV, Bandai, Viz and the defunct Geneon

but why then won't Scifi go ahead and show EoE then since Mangle pwns that? :?
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:14 pm

Don't know much about the indigenous Sci-Fi Channel, but the european one that ran ten or so years ago used to show MST3K and I will always love them for it.

Also Tenchi Muyo and Robotech
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:51 pm

The sad part is I have the funimation channel after that line up ani-monday and Tuesday are not that bad.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:53 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:but why then won't Scifi go ahead and show EoE then since Mangle pwns that? :?
Considering how much they censored GitS, there is no conceivable way they could show EoE without censoring it so much that it finally makes sense.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:56 pm

NAveryW wrote:
THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:but why then won't Scifi go ahead and show EoE then since Mangle pwns that? :?
Considering how much they censored GitS, there is no conceivable way they could show EoE without censoring it so much that it finally makes sense.

That would be pants on head retarted
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:39 am

but hey, it could be (unintentionally) VERY funny

like the one edited-for-TV version of Scarface where the curse words were ALL replaced by shoehorning in ridiculous words that made no sense and sounded hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcJ61KEynm4
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:09 am

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:but hey, it could be (unintentionally) VERY funny

like the one edited-for-TV version of Scarface where the curse words were ALL replaced by shoehorning in ridiculous words that made no sense and sounded hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcJ61KEynm4

Hey only I'm allowed to make Scarface references...you Coachroaches
I won.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:12 am

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:I'm sure Scifi (whose parent company Liberty Media PWNS Mangle TOO don't-ya-know) would LOVE to "transfer"(/steal) some of the licenses from ADV, Bandai, Viz and the defunct Geneon

but why then won't Scifi go ahead and show EoE then since Mangle pwns that? :?

Ok with Geneon gone what are all of the separate North American anime distributors?

*ADV (I assume the largest?)
*Manga Entertainment
*Bandai
*Viz
*What else?
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:48 am

Media Blasters.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:40 am

Funimation - I think they overtook ADV as the largest within the last couple of years.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Taekmkm
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Taekmkm » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:29 am

Not hard to overtake the dead.

And technically Sentai Works counts. I can't remember the name, but there's an LA company that are doing compilation movie works like Tekkaman.
We watched 'The Lion King' in my math class once. After it was over, the teacher passed out worksheets that said: "If the circle of life had a diamter of 46 inches..."

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:43 pm

When I first saw this thread I thought V cameback for a moment.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

Re: Scifi Channel expands its crappy anime lineup

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:59 am

V wrote: The Appleseed OVA was a cliche waste of animation which I regret watching; a godawful hybridization of CGI and 2D animation which you quickly lose interest in.

Pretty sure you're thinking of the 2004 movie there, chief. The 1988 OVA didn't have any CGI at all, as far as I remember, and I would be hella surprised if something that old did.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:25 pm

Space Penis wrote:
V wrote: The Appleseed OVA was a cliche waste of animation which I regret watching; a godawful hybridization of CGI and 2D animation which you quickly lose interest in.

Pretty sure you're thinking of the 2004 movie there, chief. The 1988 OVA didn't have any CGI at all, as far as I remember, and I would be hella surprised if something that old did.
As far as I know, Ghost in the Shell was one of the first animated films to integrate CGI stuff into 2D animation. And that was in '95, so you're right.

And anyway, the Appleseed OVA was still pretty bad, even for 1988. It's probably one of the worst Masamune adaptations I've ever watched, but I haven't seen the newer Appleseed stuff (don't really want to), and I haven't read the manga to see how well it stacks up to begin with. I just couldn't stand the OVA.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:40 pm

Merridian wrote:
Space Penis wrote:

As far as I know, Ghost in the Shell was one of the first animated films to integrate CGI stuff into 2D animation.

Macross Plus precedes GitS by one year. I don't know if it was first work to do that integration but in any case I know it's animation innovations in area were considered groundbreaking back then. :shrug:

that said first GitS has propably best 2D/3D integration I've ever seen - I actually had to go and check wikipedia if 3D had been used in film at all!

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:46 pm

^Oh right, I forgot about that! :lol: General point is that this kinda stuff didn't come around until early-mid 90's. Main point is that the 1988 Appleseed OVA didn't have ANY 3D CGI-enhancements whatsoever.
Xard wrote:that said first GitS has propably best 2D/3D integration I've ever seen
:w00t: Oh hell yeah! I didn't even notice the 3D aspects until I verified it myself, and then really kept an eye out the next time I watched it. I think what helped is that there isn't nearly as much of it as there is in e.g. GitS 2 or The Sky Crawlers--which, strangely enough, relied so much on 3D because Oshii & co. couldn't hire enough animators. IIRC I read somewhere that most of the planes & a great deal of the dogfighting sequences were supposed to be hand-drawn.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:58 pm

Merridian wrote:As far as I know, Ghost in the Shell was one of the first animated films to integrate CGI stuff into 2D animation.

You need to go back in time waaay more.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:00 pm

^ yes, this is one of most worrisome developments in Japan's animation industry nowadays. They are running out of skillful animators

I really fear Ponyo will be swan song of completely hand drawn anime :(

Macross Plus's 3D integration is already excellent and used to great effect but remember that all those mindboggling dogfights are 99% 2D animation - it has much of the most mindboggling, most gorgeous animation in anywhere, ever.

Want to try to do scene like that today?

You don't have enough skilled animators and resources today. Not even if your name is Oshii.

Ghibli is last bastion of light in dark, dark world...

edit: Nick, that is revolting :X

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:24 pm

That CGI is so bad it's classic. :hahaha:

Oh, wait. It's 1983. Definitely classic.

Xard wrote:yes, this is one of most worrisome developments in Japan's animation industry nowadays. They are running out of skillful animators

I think their entire production system has some serious flaws, animator salaries being one of them. Right now, the inability to attract a new group of skilled animators with halfway decent salaries is a serious flaw. Ghibli doesn't pay its animators starving wages, which is why they're better off than the rest of the lot.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Return to “Anime and Manga”