Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Kyle
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kyle » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:23 pm

My first recomendation would be hellsing.

I mean,what's better than nazi vampires eating babies?

My second would have to be genshiken.It's about otaku clubhouse
members that over analize every aspect of every anime they come across
and some how manage to find love,laughter and perversion along the way.
"It's good to have team mates...it gives them other people to shoot at."-Unknown.

"Who dare's,wins"-SAS motto

birdyofthemoongoddess
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby birdyofthemoongoddess » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:29 pm

Mmmm... Nazis. :p
Birdy is a girl.
hannah's handprints.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:22 pm

There is this one that I have been reading lately entitled "superior" by iccthus...
really good.
Oh! and FMP! the light novels of COMO is the shit.
In this time of Rebuild, I'm proud to be one of the few fans of the original NGE, and one of the last proud fans of Asuka Langley Soryu.
Avatar: A fighting boy meets girl on a one night stand, walking into the blue, ending day by day as they dance in a very merry Christmas, continuing on my own as a burning one man force while you come and make my day approaching in the nick of time and always, stand by me.

zimlord
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby zimlord » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:07 pm

I don't think anyone has mentioned Monster by Naoki Urasawa yet.
It's definitely the greatest manga I have ever read--a true masterpiece.
The plot is nothing short of superb. Everything--every individual detail-- is meaningful to the story, even when it seems it's getting tangential.

MAL wrote:When a Doctor makes the highly controversial decision to save a boy's life over the mayor's, it leads to the loss of almost everything he holds dear.
His fiance, his career, his social standing. The only thing he keeps is his own feeling of self worth, knowing that he did the right thing in saving the boy, who came in first.
Yet even that is threatened when he begins to learn that nothing is as it originally appeared. A trail of bloodshed pointing to the seemingly innocent child leaves him questioning even his beliefs. Whether, in the end, all lives are ever truly equal.

Monster kept me reading hours and hours at a time; never once did i consider giving up and starting something else.
It's suspenseful, touching, and manages to keep the plot fascinating through 18 volumes. Urasawa's mastery of suspense is evident page after page.

seriously, it's awesome. read it.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:51 pm

Mai-Chan's Daily Life
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:51 am

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is not only best manga ever made, it is best comic ever made. READ IT

Monster is another masterpiece

Death Note is good

Yotsuba (because)

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:29 am

I second the GitS manga -- actually, I've gone through the complete original edition of the first GitS manga series (which is closer to american comics of the Vertigo variety than I'd care to admit), and it's (imo) FAR better than the movies OR the shows. Then, the sequel series (Man-Machine Interface) is great as well, though I haven't finished it. Shirow apparently made another series that takes place in-between too. For some reason, I have a thing for manga where the mangaka will write copious notes about the technical details of stuff both in the margins and in a big section in the back.

If you are a fan of the GitS manga, I'd very much suggest the original V for Vendetta graphic novel (it's FAR better than the movie, imo, and I actually really liked the movie). I mean, sure, the art is not animeish enough for me, but the plot is awesome, as are the references. (Anyone who can make THAT many references to the Illuminatus! trilogy and still keep it seeming totally dire and serious is a force to be reckoned with)

Oh, and on the subject of american comics, Paradigm is like EoTV meets Lain meets Cheers meets Buffy, but with more wierdness and less corniness. Really great stuff. The fact that one of the characters recieves a tshirt in the mail that says "FIGHT FOR THE SITCOM" and realizes that it's a sign that his flatmate that he never met is dead is rather representative. Plus the dude with the cool scarf. You can never go against the dude with the cool scarf. His awesomeness will overwhelm you with WIN.

hansel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby hansel » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:13 am

Okay, I have to go against the grain here on Death Note. Let me give you a picture of my previous feelings for DN. You know the infamous opening scene of EoE? Pretend I'm Shinji, and a DN tankouban is lying in the hospital bed instead of Asuka. Yeah, that's how much I loved DN. But then I read volume 7, and then I read everything after. I won't spoil anything other than to say: garbage. The series jumped the shark halfway through, and the reason is, of course, money. Originally it was going to be a series that topped out at 6 volumes, but its explosive popularity meant Shonen Jump's editors put pressure on Ohba and Obata to keep it going (Dragon Ball/Z, anyone?). It was something that could have been great (and was, until the halfway point), but just became a watered-down parody of itself. Ugh. I get a bad taste in my mouth just thinking about it. That's the last time I invest in a series before it's all released.

ANYWAY...recommendations: EAGLE: The Making of an Asian American President by Kaiji Kawaguchi is absolutely fantastic. It's out of print, but a little online searching should find it for you (it did for me).
I seek the ultimate Truth known to be found only in Hideaki Anno's wispy beard.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:34 am

zimlord wrote:I don't think anyone has mentioned Monster by Naoki Urasawa yet.
It's definitely the greatest manga I have ever read--a true masterpiece.
The plot is nothing short of superb. Everything--every individual detail-- is meaningful to the story, even when it seems it's getting tangential.

I did it in the first page though Photobucket fails me for some weird reason.

Indeed it is one of the most amazing mangas out there.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

hansel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby hansel » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:21 pm

I picked up the first volume of Monster on a recommendation from Anime World Order (www.animeworldorder.com, really fantastic podcast, though they don't see to have too much love for Eva), though I haven't read it yet. Better get to that.
I seek the ultimate Truth known to be found only in Hideaki Anno's wispy beard.

Magami no D00M
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Magami no D00M » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:53 pm

I recommend all the titles on the thumbnails of my profile (and yes, Monster's in one of them), maybe with the exception of Inuyasha. It's just nostalgia for me. Wish it would end properly though.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Maga-me
Failsig:http://myanimelist.net/profile/Maga-me~Catalogue your hobby/obsession/drug.
DA Plug: http://magamish.deviantart.com/
*back from the dead to once again rekindle my Eva ineterst, since I recently purchased the domestic Rebuild 1.0 dvd* >>;

FallenTabris
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby FallenTabris » Sun May 04, 2008 9:37 pm

honsou wrote:This first recommendation is what i would consider my favorite Manga of all time, Devilman

The TV series, the OVAs don't do the Manga justice. The story is epic and there are just some scenes that actually made me say "holy shit thats so awesome". It also has one of the best endings I've ever seen in anything.
Its very rare and hard to find, it took me years to find the entire thing, and even now i only have the first 2 vol. in English, but its still amazing stuff and if you ever get a chance to check it out, do so and consider your self lucky.

Fuck yeah! Tied with Berserk for my favorite manga, easily. If you want to see how society can enter a pitiful regression to inquisitional times through paranoia, mixed in with some epic demonic battles, find this manga and devour it.

Razeil100
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Razeil100 » Sat May 17, 2008 2:34 am

Don't know if it's been said yet but, GANTZ. Great art, good plotline (Very original) character devolopment, mystery. Warning, pretty god damn violent. I mentioned this one in the anime rec thread because I didn't see the manga rec thread. Manga out does the anime by leaps and bounds.

youare(not)alone
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby youare(not)alone » Sat May 17, 2008 11:48 am

I''s, Berserk, Blade of the immortal, Yotsuba& and Gantz
They're my favourites.
I am going to go buy Vagabond soon, curious what's that like.

:asuka_thumbsup:
YOU ARE (not) ALONE

Razeil100
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Razeil100 » Sun May 18, 2008 1:10 am

I second AKIRA. My favorite manga, easy.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:05 pm

Made this into a sticky.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

zimlord
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby zimlord » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:22 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Made this into a sticky.

YAY. :jiggy:

also, Genshiken is definitely a manga worth mentioning. Fairly short at 9 volumes, it chronicles the adventures and activities of the Genshiken, "the society for the study of modern visual culture," and its close knit group of members. It's really a slice-of-life piece (though not to the extent of something like Aria) and doesn't have too much of a plot; mostly just the group's trips to cons or doujin shops. That said, it's still a page-turner due to the characters. With any slice-of-life piece, the characters are really what make or break a series. Genshiken, however, definitely delivers in this regard. The series starts with Kanji Sasahara trying to decide what club to join at the club fair. There is an Anime Club, a Manga club, and then the Genshiken, where he ends up. It's a close-knit, bizarre, hilarious group. Genshiken doesn't let the reader down once.

Stuffy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Stuffy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:59 pm

NGE Angelic Days.
Yes they butcher'd the story up a bit but so far Ive liked it a lot. It shows a bright new alternate universe where all of the characters arent complete mental cases. :thumbsup:

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:59 am

But it's too... soft. No solidity in it...
I feel old

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:06 pm

Yes, but it's a good escape from the not so happy Evangelion.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Return to “Anime and Manga”