Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

[Anime] Unintentional Anime Trilogy?

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:03 am

I'm referring to Lain, Haibane Renmei and Texhnolyze. At first these 3 works seem entirely different, but all 3 had a lot of the same personel working on them (character designs by Yoshitoshi ABe and produced by Yasuyuki Ueda on all 3), and I found an interesting theme to them:

Lain: Earth
Haibane Renmei: Heaven
Texnolyze: Hell

If you think about these three series these concepts are definitely a theme for each. The "angels" in Haibane, the "underground" city in Texhnolyze, and the concept of connectivity through Mother Earth in Lain. Perhaps this is a loose theme, but I thought it was interesting when I got to thinking about it.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:51 am

Maybe a "spiritual" trilogy, like a spiritual sequel/prequel usually reserved for video games a la Goldeneye and Perfect Dark or sometimes rarely in film like Blade Runner and Soldier.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:01 am

This is interesting, Jimbo. Another thematic trilogy I found a long time ago was: Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, and Trigun.

First, and most obviously, they have the space western feel to them. All three take place in the future, and feature a group of people wandering on an aimless journey. Two in space itself, going from planet to planet, and one just on a different planet. Second, bounty hunters have a heavy presence in each show, as well. Finally, each show rather nicely portrays the strong bonds of friendship, and how a group dynamic can collapse when one of those people goes missing or leaves. I suppose these similarities could be viewed as rather superficial, but they are there.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:26 am

Another thematic trilogy I found a long time ago was: Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, and Trigun.

I can understand lain, Habaini Renmei and Techxnolyze being viewd as a trilogy, but these werent even made by the same people. Their just vaguely simialer anime. If your going to call these a trilogy then Eva, Rahxephon and Eurecka 7 could also be called a trilogy. If your going to do that, then almost any anime you can think of will be a member of some trilogy which doesnt work well.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:04 pm

BrikHaus wrote:This is interesting, Jimbo. Another thematic trilogy I found a long time ago was: Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, and Trigun.

If you're going to say that, I say: Kino no Tabi, Mushishi, Haibane Renmei

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:37 pm

What's that psychological precept that states that the human brain innately forms pattern and meaning in things that don't inherently have any as a means to understand the world? Because I think that needs to be factored into this discussion.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:18 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:What's that psychological precept that states that the human brain innately forms pattern and meaning in things that don't inherently have any as a means to understand the world? Because I think that needs to be factored into this discussion.
That's why I said "unintentional trilogy". I don't think it was on purpose, and I don't think the creators actually had that in mind, but it is weird how it worked out, because the earth/heaven/hell theme in each is pretty obvious. Even the TONE fits each.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

zephyr72
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby zephyr72 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:56 am

I always felt that haibane renmei had more to do with redemption than heaven directly. The village to me seemes kind of like a purgatory. I`ll agree with you on lain, and i haven`t seen texhnolyze.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:49 pm

zephyr72 wrote:I always felt that haibane renmei had more to do with redemption than heaven directly. The village to me seemes kind of like a purgatory. I`ll agree with you on lain, and i haven`t seen texhnolyze.
I don't mean it literally. Because yes, Haibane Renmei is set more in a type of purgatory than in an actual "heaven". But the aesthetics of the series certainly have a "heavenly" type atmosphere. Every character is nice and do their best to help the others out. The Haibane have halos and wings, etc. It's not exactly the setting you think of when you think of "purgatory".

Texhnolyze = As dark as lain, but follows a more logical narrative. Visually stunning, but very complex and slowly paced. I actually think it's more disturbing than Lain and perhaps even NGE to some extent. A brilliant but difficult series.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:55 pm

That's pretty cool.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Return to “Anime and Manga”