Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Soljer13
Banned

Code Geass

•      
  •      

Postby Soljer13 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:41 pm

I think this is one of the greatest anime ever, anybody here seen it? What are your opinions?
PURGE! CLEANSE! KILL! FOR THE EMPEROR!

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:17 pm

It sort of seems like a cross between deathnote and gundam wing from what I've seen of it.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Faußtin
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Faußtin » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:51 pm

Geas? :lol: In D&D it is (if you didn't know already) a powerful spell put on someone by a wizard, a sort of forced pact, which cannot be broken, only if the task is done, as the caster commanded. Otherwise the poor guy dies.
[/off]
:twisted: !!!HELL IS FUN!!! :twisted:

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:37 pm

Faußtin wrote:Geas? :lol: In D&D

As stolen from the Irish legends, where the heroes had to operate under odd restrictions calles geasa (such as never eating the meat of dogs and never refusing hospitality ... Gee, I wonder what happened to him one fine day.)
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:53 pm

I just looked on Wikipedia's entry for Code Geass. It says that it "is a work to promote Japanese Imperialism, just like many Japanese animation do. On the other hand, if a German do somthing like that in Germany, he would be in jail already."

I love it how that second sentence has nothing to do with the show. XD
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Dascoo
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Dascoo » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:15 am

I like the Mecha Designs, and I watched 4 episodes, either then that....nothing.

Soljer13
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Soljer13 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:47 am

How about a fanfic where the Holy Brittanian Army TRIES to invade Tokyo 3 with the back up of the Eva's?
PURGE! CLEANSE! KILL! FOR THE EMPEROR!

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:51 pm

I'm watching this one too. It has the kind of suspense from Death note, but dumbed down. Lolis, highschool romance, princesses. Magical girl transformations. There's a limit to how serious an animé can be with such elements.

I enjoy it as entertainment, don't get bored, and love Ali Project (@ the ending). But no, it's not one of the greatest animé ever. In fact, I'll bet on it being completely forgotten, at least from my memory.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:04 am

It's kinda weird (though not necessarily a bad thing) when you can't tell who's supposed to be the protagonists and who's supposed to be the antagonist.

zephyr72
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby zephyr72 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:17 pm

AchtungAffen wrote:I'm watching this one too. It has the kind of suspense from Death note, but dumbed down. Lolis, highschool romance, princesses. Magical girl transformations. There's a limit to how serious an animé can be with such elements.

The character designs are by Clamp. What do you expect.

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:52 pm

So is XXXHolic, a series I loved. But the manga is so much better,
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

zephyr72
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby zephyr72 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:05 am

I'm not saying clamp does bad work. In fact i like a lot of what they do (chobits was the first manga series i completed), but they like lolis, high school romances, and princesses.

xxxHolic was quite entertaining.

EDIT: after viewing what's out, I must say that I am enjoying the show, however the mech designs remind me too much of Full Metal Panic. I guess it doesn't really matter because the mechs are just in the series to make it harder for the main character to use his Geass on people.

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:19 am

zephyr72 wrote:I'm not saying clamp does bad work. In fact i like a lot of what they do (chobits was the first manga series i completed), but they like lolis, high school romances, and princesses.

Heh, just like Gainax.
My List @ AniDB

zephyr72
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby zephyr72 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:44 pm

ya know...that's a really good point.

Bean Bandit
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Bean Bandit » Mon May 21, 2007 5:11 pm

Defectron wrote:It sort of seems like a cross between deathnote and gundam wing from what I've seen of it.

Interesting but nonetheless accurate...its mixture of dark themes, criminal organizations, and straight up mech madness fits that description well. :D

I've been watching it recently and its quite good. Its really popular in Japan. It's kinda cool how CLAMP did the character design. I became a little suspicious of this after I realized all the characters were 10 feet tall. Kallen's an interesting character...
What do you like to play? ...Pokemon! Pokemon?

Ya see, the kids, they listen to the rap, which gives them the brain damage. Ya see?

Return to “Anime and Manga”